ORAS OU Is it Getting a Little Windy Up Here?

Is it Getting a Little Windy Up Here?
A Mega-Heracross Team

Introduction
For those of you that don't know me, and most of you don't, my name is Millionsunz, and while I may be new to the Smogon Community, I am not new to the competitive battling scene and team-building. I love to build and test new teams. Team building and testing is my passion in Pokemon, so you may find me lurking around the RMT OU section, as my competitive background is OU. With the recent tier shifts in Smogon formats, and Mega Heracross being bumped up from BL to OU, I was instantly all over the idea of using a team with Mega Heracross. Currently, Mega Heracross is one of the premier threats in the OU tier, being able to deal with a load of threats with its strong coverage, and it's godly Close Combat, which is one of the (if not the) strongest unboosted moves in the entire tier. With the support provided by it's teammates, Mega Heracross can dominate any threat the game has to throw off of it.

TeamBuilding Process

Mega Heracross is the main focus of the team, and is usually my win condition or a fantastic wallbreaker to help other Pokemon on the team sweep. With its Ubers level attack stat and decent defenses, the only issue with this monster of a Pokemon is it's lackluster speed. Since I don't believe in Baton Pass, I needed another way to boost Heracross' speed.

In order to boost Heracross' lackluster Speed stat, I decided to grab one of the best supporting Pokemon in the game, Whimsicott. Whimsicott can provide both Prankster Tailwind and Prankster Stun Spore, both of which can benefit Heracross greatly, and it can also provide momentum in either Memento or U-Turn. Whimsicott also has a fantastic matchup with Mega Sableye leads, being able to hit the little bugger with a STAB Moonblast. Whimsicott's main job on the team is to either keep up a Tailwind, or paralyze everything with Stun Spore.

Now that I had the support necessary for Heracross to do maximum damage, I started to cover both it's and Whimsicott's weaknesses. They both are weak to Fire and Flying type attacks, so Landorus-T was an obvious pick for the team. Landorus is also a fantastic physical wall, with it's Intimidate ability. Landorus also gets access to Stealth Rocks and U-Turn, which harm the Flying-Type Pokemon that plague Mega Heracross and provides momentum generation with Whimsicott.

Rotom-Wash is one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, being able to tank hits from a multitude of threats. Rotom also completes and adds to the VoltTurn core with Landorus and Whimsicott. With it's ability to burn threats and pivot out into other Pokemon, Rotom-Wash was an obvious candidate for the team, as it also hits Flying Types for SuperEffective damage.

Mega Heracross is able to deal with a multitude of threats, but it can sometimes struggle to break through Fairy and Dragon types, as most of the latter outspeed it and most of the former can dish out tons of damage to it. To check these threats, I added Heatran to the team. Resisting both Dragon and Fairy types, Heatran can also work as an offensive stallbreaker, utilizing Taunt to stop setting up and moves such as Toxic and Leech Seed. Heatran's weaknesses are also covered by most of the team, so it functions very well, and appreciates Tailwind.

Finally, the last slot on the team went to an offensive Pokemon, as the team lacked one outside of Heracross. Keldeo originally filled that slot, but it made the team too weak to Flying Type Pokemon. Azumarill was the next immediate Choice, as it benefits from the Tailwind, and is a fantastic set-up sweeper. It also gets Priority attacks, something that was lacking from the team originally.

Pokemon Sets

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 144 HP / 232 Atk / 32 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

As stated before, Mega Heracross is the star of this team, being both a wallbreaker and a usual win condition. The EV spread is set to speed creep a Rotom-Wash, allowing Heracross to attack first before getting burned. The 144 HP EVs allow Heracross to avoid an OHKO from Specs Keldeo, escape the OHKO from Modest Heathen's Lava Plume. 232 Attack EVs combined with an Adamant Nature allow Heracross to have almost maximum attack to deal the most damage possible. 32 Defense EVs come in handy when facing Pokemon such as Garchomp and Tyranitar.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind

Whimsicott provides the Speed Control that Mega Heracross desperately requires. With both Stun Spore and Tailwind, Whimsicott can either cripple set up sweepers or allow Mega Heracross and other Pokemon on the team to rip large holes through the team. Maximum HP and Defense investment allows Whimsicott to take hits from top tier threats such as Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham, and even has a large chance of surviving a LO Icicle Crash from Weavile.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

To check/counter the Flying-Type Pokemon that demolish both Whimsicott and Mega Heracross, full defensive Landorus-T with Rocky Helmet was added to the team. With a fully defensive set, Landorus is 5HKOd by Talonflame, lives a +2 Aerilate Return from Mega Pinsir, and has a 69.9% chance to be 2HKOd by Choice Band Reckless Staraptor, the main Flying threats in the tier. All of the previously listed are OHKOd by Stone Edge after Stealth Rocks, and some without Rocks.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Rotom-Wash's main job is to take special hits for Mega Heracross and Landorus, and has good defensive synergy with the latter. Rotom also completes the VoltTurn core with both Whimsicott and Landorus. With the support it provides by burning physical attackers, and then proceeding to Volt Switch out into either Heracross or Azumarill, Rotom-Wash works wonders on the team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Earth Power

My second check/counter for the ever popular Bird-Spam is Heatran. Heatran not only eats up attacks from the pesky birds, it also handles Fairy types that would otherwise be a problem for the team. With Taunt, Heatran can also work as an offensive stallbreaker, wearing down walls such as Clefable. With Max HP and Max Special Attack, Heatran dishes out tons of damage, and can take a few hits before going down. Heatran also appreciates the Tailwind support Whimsicott provides.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough​

Belly Drum Azumarill is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. At +6, it reaches over 1700 Attack. Azumarill can wear down walls that would otherwise wall Heracross, like Hippowdon and Gliscor. Maximum HP investment and maximum Attack investment allows Azumarill to both take a few hits and deal out tons of damage in return. With Tailwind up, Azumarill outspeeds all base 70s with a neutral speed nature, like Adamant Breloom and Adamant Bisharp.
EVs: 144 HP / 232 Atk / 32 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Threatlist
: Gyarados is one of the threats to this team, albeit rarely. If Gyarados carries Bounce, it OHKOs and outspeeds both Mega Heracross and Whimsicott. With Waterfall, it can be detrimental to both Landorus and Heatran, leaving only Azumarill and Rotom-Wash.

: Raikou is one Pokemon that my team struggles to handle. Psychic can destroy Mega Heracross, Thunderbolt hits both Rotom-Wash and Azumarill, while Hidden Power Ice can demolish both Whimsicott and Landorus, and is immune to Whimsicott's Stun Spore.
: Kyurem-B can hit pretty much hit and outspeed every Pokemon on the team for SuperEffective damage, except Heracross, who won't appreciate any hit from this monster of a Pokemon.

: Specially Defensive Skarmory can tank hits from all of the Pokemon on the team, and can hit Mega Heracross with a SuperEffective Brave Bird. Rotom-Wash can handle Skamory most of the time, but if Rotom-Wash statused, it can struggle with Skarmory 1 on 1.

: Gliscor walls a large portion of this team, save Azumarill. Gliscor can ToxicStall every member on the team, and can hit Heatran with an Earthquake, and while Azumarill can handle it, opponents usually switch out into something that can take a hit from Azumarill.

: Other Rotom-Washes can wall the entire team, unless you decide to run Bullet Seed on Mega Heracross, but otherwise Rotom can take hits from every team member and retaliate with either a Burn or a Hydro Pump.

: Kabutops in the Rain is a terrifying sweeper in it's own right, and against this team it is no different. Kabutops can wear down the team's main defensive Pokemon with strong, rain-boosted, attacks like Waterfall and Stone Edge.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the team! Please leave any comments or suggestions down below!

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
This is a pretty cool Mega Heracross team, but it has its problems.
Major Changes
The first one is, unfortunately Whimsicott. I love Whimsicott, it's one of my all time favorite pokemon, but it just isn't viable in OU. There are tons of better fairy types in the tier, stun spore has incredibly shoddy accuracy, and tailwind is one of the least useful support moves in the game. It can only be abused for 2-3 turns, and is incredibly easy to stall out. Whimsicott just isn't effective in OU. You also needed a hazard remover, a check to fairy types (as I was also removing Heatran, but more on that later), and a check to the Lati twins. So I would say swap Whimsicott for defensive Excadrill.
Normally I don't use defensive Excadrill, but it works great for this team. Excadrill is meant as a check to fairy types, fast electric types, and the Lati twins, as well as a reliable spinner. Excadrill is great at accomplishing all of these things with its defensive set, and I believe it works well on your team.
Offensive Heatran doesn't work in the current metagame. The utility set is incredible, and the stallbreaker set can work, but Heatran's weakness to common defensive types like ground and water as well as its middling speed make it a very mediocre offensive threat. What you needed was a strong special attacker that could hold its own, as well as something to deal with dark and steel types. Enter, Keldeo.
Keldeo is a great replacement for Heatran. With choice specs, it's power is unmatched, becoming one of the meta's strongest special attackers. It also has nice coverage, speed, and acess to scald, the most broken move in the game. Keldeo is overall a big improvement over Heatran.
With another water type on the team, Azumarill doesn't shine as much. Fairy type stab was only really useful for dealing with Fighting types, and Azumarill's low speed often makes it hard to deal with powerful fighting types and their insane coverage. However, you still need a win condition, so i realized thar you could swap it with one of the games best win conditions, and one of the best checks to fighting types everywhere. I would reccomend Talonflame over Azumarill.
Talonflame's priority acrobatics and acess to will-o-wisp make it one of the best fighting type counters out there. It also notably checks Keldeo and Tornadus-T, two of the biggest threats to your team. Finally, it has the Bulk to take a decent amount of hits and Swords Dance to quickly become a threat like Azumarill. It's ovreally a great fit for your team.
Minor Changes
It annoys me to no end when people try to make Rotom-W a specially defensive pokemon. It's not. It's entire niche is being a defensive wall with acess to will-o-wisp, and you are supposed to run max defense with that. Rotom-W should also always run 248 HP EVs to get max Leftovers recovery. These changes make Rotom-W a better defensive pokemon.
Finally, your Landorus-T EVs are slightly off. 8 SpD EVs should always be run so that Landorus-T can survive a HP Ice from Mega Manectric at full health, while the rest should be in speed to outspeed max Speed Azumarill.

That's all the changes I have, I hope you put them to good use!

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello there! interesting team you've got here. i love balanced mega heracross teams because megacross is one of those really underrated threats that are commonly overlooked simply because he is slow. with the metagame now splitting into two camps, one being balls bare hyper offense and the other being full on stall, i think that your team has a great way of tackling current metagame trends. but as you've stated, there are definitely some threats to this team so that your team can improve. well, i can help you with that!

first off, i just want to go ahead and say this first but my experience with megacross has led me to believe that speed is not entirely necessary for megacross. it is a logic that is extended over many famous wallbreakers of the tier like mzardy , mcham , hydreigon , volc , nidoking , mgarde and i sincerely think that mcross teams should focus on it's main boon which is it's ability to decimate past stall teams without breaking a sweat. for that, we must compensate for the lowered ability to deal with offense and like the rater above me said, tailwind is simply not cutting it on this team simply because of the nature of this team; had this team been one that was focused on breaking past checks and counters so that mons can help each others sweep, then it would've been a great choice. but your team is more bulkier and more balanced in concept and therefore we will first opt for tbolt clef over whimsicott. this change ensure that you beat a lot of your current problems (gyara at +1, skarm and kabu cannot deal with tbolt, raikou, glis, kyurem can't 1v1 cm moonblast) and it also ensures that you retain your bulk on the team.

next, yes azu is a huge godsend to mankind, but keep in mind it's not that well supported on your team and not only that, it doesn't give your team ample support other than being a solid breaker. therefore, since we still need something to deal with offense as well as something to deal with water spam and provide us with a hazard controller, we are going to opt for lo latios over azu. i think this change was quite natural since it gives you additional solutions to your current problems, provides you with a way to clear the hazards as well as being a generally good nuke that enables you to not autolose to mvenu teams.

lastly, here are some minor ev reoptimizations: first off, to effectively utilise taunt on heatran, you need to be able to outpace mew, msciz (offensive variants), togekiss, garchomp, max spe skarm and even rotom-w. your current set loses to most of these mons and as such, i suggest that you run max spe max hp timid on your heatran with taunt toxic and stealth rocks. this allows you to deal with all aforementioned mons as well as dealing with stall and spdef talonflame which can honestly be a huge pain in the ass for the rest of your team as well as pave the way for my next few suggestions for you. next, rotom-w actually deals with a lot of your mentioned threats. but that's only when you opt for 88 spe 252 hp 168 def impish with twave. yes this spread deals with a lot of your threats and can help spread twave love to your opponent which in return helps your mcross put in work. lastly, you can opt to run superpower over stealth rocks on your lando-t. AOA defensive lando-t is something almost entirely unheard of and is commonly synonymous to insanity. but for your team, we realise that mlop and mdos can actually put in a bit of work against your team. with superpower and stone edge, it allows you to deal with both mdos variants as well as outright breaking mlop apart. however, if you feel that you have these two particular threats covered, you can easily opt for toxic over stealth rocks since it helps you deal with the common lando switch ins so that you can easily plough through your opponent's team with megacross.

optional suggestion: since your team right now can be pretty weak to offensive teams, your next option now that you have rocks on tran is to run scarf lando-t instead. this allows you to deal with offensive threats as well as defensive threats since lando-t and mcross have very similar checks and counters. this is an optional change because the above suggestions should already help your team deal with offensive teams alr so you can opt for this change if you feel insecure against offensive teams.

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Earth Power

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

OR

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

88 spe 252 hp 168 def impish with twave
Hey zbr, thanks for the reply, I was wondering if you could enlighten me on this Rotom set. What are the 88 Speed EVs run for?

speed is not entirely necessary for megacross
If the speed is not necessary for Mega Heracross, where do you think I should put the 100 Speed EVs into?

Other than those questions, I like everything else! Scarf Landorus is actually a really good suggestion, and I don't know why I didn't think of it myself (...), and I love how Latios is able to deal with Mega Venusaur, although Heracross can 2HKO any variant with Pin Missile.
This is a pretty cool Mega Heracross team, but it has its problems.
Major Changes
The first one is, unfortunately Whimsicott. I love Whimsicott, it's one of my all time favorite pokemon, but it just isn't viable in OU. There are tons of better fairy types in the tier, stun spore has incredibly shoddy accuracy, and tailwind is one of the least useful support moves in the game. It can only be abused for 2-3 turns, and is incredibly easy to stall out. Whimsicott just isn't effective in OU. You also needed a hazard remover, a check to fairy types (as I was also removing Heatran, but more on that later), and a check to the Lati twins. So I would say swap Whimsicott for defensive Excadrill.
Normally I don't use defensive Excadrill, but it works great for this team. Excadrill is meant as a check to fairy types, fast electric types, and the Lati twins, as well as a reliable spinner. Excadrill is great at accomplishing all of these things with its defensive set, and I believe it works well on your team.
Offensive Heatran doesn't work in the current metagame. The utility set is incredible, and the stallbreaker set can work, but Heatran's weakness to common defensive types like ground and water as well as its middling speed make it a very mediocre offensive threat. What you needed was a strong special attacker that could hold its own, as well as something to deal with dark and steel types. Enter, Keldeo.
Keldeo is a great replacement for Heatran. With choice specs, it's power is unmatched, becoming one of the meta's strongest special attackers. It also has nice coverage, speed, and acess to scald, the most broken move in the game. Keldeo is overall a big improvement over Heatran.
With another water type on the team, Azumarill doesn't shine as much. Fairy type stab was only really useful for dealing with Fighting types, and Azumarill's low speed often makes it hard to deal with powerful fighting types and their insane coverage. However, you still need a win condition, so i realized thar you could swap it with one of the games best win conditions, and one of the best checks to fighting types everywhere. I would reccomend Talonflame over Azumarill.
Talonflame's priority acrobatics and acess to will-o-wisp make it one of the best fighting type counters out there. It also notably checks Keldeo and Tornadus-T, two of the biggest threats to your team. Finally, it has the Bulk to take a decent amount of hits and Swords Dance to quickly become a threat like Azumarill. It's ovreally a great fit for your team.
Minor Changes
It annoys me to no end when people try to make Rotom-W a specially defensive pokemon. It's not. It's entire niche is being a defensive wall with acess to will-o-wisp, and you are supposed to run max defense with that. Rotom-W should also always run 248 HP EVs to get max Leftovers recovery. These changes make Rotom-W a better defensive pokemon.
Finally, your Landorus-T EVs are slightly off. 8 SpD EVs should always be run so that Landorus-T can survive a HP Ice from Mega Manectric at full health, while the rest should be in speed to outspeed max Speed Azumarill.

That's all the changes I have, I hope you put them to good use!
Hey Cenamazing , thanks for the suggestions, although some of them feel a little strange to me. I've never heard of "Defensive Excadrill" and just looking at it, it doesn't seem to have the defensive capabilities as some other Pokemon do. With the sets you've provided however, regular Gyarados has a field day with the team, being able to basically set up as many DDs as it wants as I scramble to find a Pokemon to stop it (only to get swept by the Dancing Sea Snake). Mega Gyarados is also an issue, but Keldeo sort of covers that, but with 2 DDs up, Mega Gyarados outspeeds and can do 83.5-98.4% to Keldeo with an Earthquake. I want to try out your suggestions, but is there anything you could help me with by adding a check/counter to Gyarados?

Hey zbr, thanks for the reply, I was wondering if you could enlighten me on this Rotom set. What are the 88 Speed EVs run for?

If the speed is not necessary for Mega Heracross, where do you think I should put the 100 Speed EVs into?

Other than those questions, I like everything else! Scarf Landorus is actually a really good suggestion, and I don't know why I didn't think of it myself (...), and I love how Latios is able to deal with Mega Venusaur, although Heracross can 2HKO any variant with Pin Missile.

Hey Cenamazing , thanks for the suggestions, although some of them feel a little strange to me. I've never heard of "Defensive Excadrill" and just looking at it, it doesn't seem to have the defensive capabilities as some other Pokemon do. With the sets you've provided however, regular Gyarados has a field day with the team, being able to basically set up as many DDs as it wants as I scramble to find a Pokemon to stop it (only to get swept by the Dancing Sea Snake). Mega Gyarados is also an issue, but Keldeo sort of covers that, but with 2 DDs up, Mega Gyarados outspeeds and can do 83.5-98.4% to Keldeo with an Earthquake. I want to try out your suggestions, but is there anything you could help me with by adding a check/counter to Gyarados?
I don't know why you need another check to Gyarados when you have Rotom-W, the best checks in the game. Remember when I told you that Rotom-W needed physical defense EVs to check the pokemon it was supposed to? Well one of those pokemon is Gyarados. Even at +2, Gyarados can't even 2HKO Rotom-W, who can OHKO it. Even the substitute set can be played around by combining the efforts of Rotom-W and Landorus-T's Intimidate. It's a great counter and you don't need to change your team at all. However, note that if you do change Rotom-Wash's EV spread to something other than the max defensive set I recomended, it won't be nearly as effective as a check.

I know sp def Excadrill doesn't look like much, but that's because you're looking in the wrong spot. It has am INCREDIBLE HP Stat (It has the 34th best HP stats in the game, INCLUDING UBERS). With this and sp def investment, it can take hits from all the pokemon it's supposed to counter. Remember, I told you Excadrill is here as a spinner and a check to The Lati twins, Faris Types, and Electric Types. Notice how all these groups are primarily special attackers. Here are a few examples of its bulk. These are all moves these pokemon would use against Excadrill when it switched in to attack them. Here's how much they'll actually do.

0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 118-140 (27.8 - 33%) -- 84.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 292-344 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
224 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 214-252 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 130-153 (30.6 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 113-133 (26.6 - 31.3%) -- 19.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 192-226 (45.2 - 53.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 204-240 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

None of these attacks that would OHKO any other variant of Excadrill can OHKO the sp def set. So remember that even if something doesn't look bulky, appearances can be decieving.

Oh, and PS: This thing even has good chance at living a Choice Specs Scald from Keldeo
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 368-434 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Finally, I'd like to clarify the main reason I replaced BD Azumarill, which I never really explained. Belly Drum Azumarill is a very good pokemon, but it's biggest problem is setting up and breaking through pokemon that resist it's STAB moves. Paticularly, anything with good defense or that resists Aqua Jet can stop BD Azu in it's tracks. Paticularly, Dragon, Grass, and other Water types must be eliminated before Azu can sweep. You're only defense against water types is Rotom-Wash, which is a great pokemon, but it can't pressure water types offensively. And while you do have Mega Heracross to deal with grass types, you lack any good way of dealing with dragon types. Whimsicott is not an effective dragon check due to it's lack of bulk and offensive pressure. Thus, Azumarill was not well supported by your team. I tried to replace it with Talonflame, which is very similar by design, but with Azu, you only really get one chance to sweep, and your team needs to support it in that way. And if I wanted to change your team to make that possible, it would require even more massive changes then what I did. In my opinion, it was the best course of action.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I changed my mind I'll just put the things i mentioned to you earlier.

To summarize what I told you earlier I feel like the idea behind your team was really sloppy, not in a rude way just more like these guys who kind of build but don't really envision the win condition and game plan. I apologize if anything I said was mentioned up above, I didn't really bother through reading the other rates entirely although I skimmed through and saw really questionable replacements. I decided to change things to give the team a bit more of an offensive presence. Whether you like the changes or not is entirely up to you but I'm not a huge fan of big mon changes unless I feel there's a big need. I ended up changing one mon here.

Your teams foundation is based on M-Heracross and Azumarill winning more or less, Heracross is super vital to beat most of the steels in the tier and will be one of 3 things winning you games from a couple of test games I had. I changed the spread to 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe Adamant on M-Heracross. You do two things out of probably what's missing of a lot of other details. You outpace the 44 speed Rotom-W and you also hit a speed tier to outpace Base 150s under Tailwind which include M-Alakazam and M-Aerodactyl. Your old spread gets you outpaced by both even after a Tailwind. The HP is a bit arbitrary but the maximum attack puts a bit more pressure on fat shit in the tier and after some chip will help 2hko Clef.

Not gonna lie I kind of suck at Ev'ing and I didn't really find a great benchmark for Whimsicott in regards to Moonblast but I just went 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed on Whimsicott. I don't like Whimsicott being slower than Lati or Keldeo, this also helps with M-Pinsir not using Quick Attack before you can do anything. The current set I'm using is Moonblast, Stun Spore, Tailwind, Memento. I'm considering using Encore over Stun spore since some set up mons are a bit of a pain but the choice between Stun Spore and Encore kind of depends what you want to match up better against, like Encore helps with preventing Manaphy clicking TG or Zard-X DDance freely which is huge due to the nature of this slower build. Memento kind of gives this team a more legitimate means of winning especially in the case of Azumarill who has 0 opportunities to set up without that and u-Turn support. Tailwind is really situational and in most cases requires you to sack your Whimsicott as an end game for Heracross or Azumarill. I dont like removing Whimsicott since it stops Keldeo from being out of control on this team.

I changed Lando-T to a Choice Scarf user with EQ, Stone Edge, U-Turn, Explosion cause the speed control and means to grab momentum on the team with your current Lando-T set was kind of awful and your current version was super slow. This lets the team not be so dependent on Tailwind to be successful and let it run like usual until you find opportunities to set up or w/e. The implementation of Scarf Lando-T makes the matchup against Rotom-W slightly easier along with normal offensive threats like M-Lopunny so that it can be worn down to a range of BD Azu can sweep or M-Hera can break. I like Explosion since it punches holes in opposing teams to provide set up opportunities or in the case of Rotom-W do heavy damage.

Changed the spread of Rotom-W to 252 HP / 148 Def / 20 SpDef / 88 Spe. Couple of defensive benchmarks is always living Latios Draco at full if Rocks aren't up so it's usually great to lead with. 88 Speed outruns everything from Jolly Crawdaunt and below since nothing really enjoys switching into Crawdaunt and a Rotom-W trying to tank a hit from Crawdaunt isn't pretty.

Big change was Jirachi > Heatran this one is a bit questionable to some but Heatran is getting a lot of overpreparation these days while Jirachi helps your team not be so weak to Diancie, Latios, M-Gardevoir, all in one sitting. 252 HP / 148 SpDef / 108 Spe with the speed benchmark letting you outpace Breloom allowing you to U-Turn out to Whimsicott in most cases. If you don't really care too much about this speed tier (this speed tier is also Timid Volcanion but that's rare) you can go 32 Spe and allocated the remaining EVs into SpDef.

Jolly 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe> Ada on BD Azumarill. There's only one set right now on Suicune that can hold it back and that set runs a lot of speed. This allows you to pressure things like weakened M-Venusaurs, Suicune, a bit better along with anyone who makes the mistake of not running 44 Spe Rotom-W which is the big reason for this change. You also get an edge on the Azu v Azu matchup since you'll be running Speed and chances are they won't.

Changing Heatran for Jirachi makes your matchup against M-Scizor a bit weaker by the way. You also now have to play around Birds but honestly your matchup was already kind of awful here to since the slowness of the team made most of your pivots and defensive utility really easy to take advantage of. You now have some offensive momentum to at least fight back and in the case of something like Zard-X never be in a position where it'll turn something into a complete liability. Without destroying the entirety of this teams concept the changes I tried out helps your team give a more offensive feel able to maintain momentum which I think is what you want when running a Tailwind Volt-turn like offense with two breakers.

Summary of Final Changes in Bold:

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Stun Spore / Encore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 20 SpD / 88 Spe
Bold Nature

- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
Give or take whatever you would like out of this and enjoy.

I changed my mind I'll just put the things i mentioned to you earlier.

To summarize what I told you earlier I feel like the idea behind your team was really sloppy, not in a rude way just more like these guys who kind of build but don't really envision the win condition and game plan. I apologize if anything I said was mentioned up above, I didn't really bother through reading the other rates entirely although I skimmed through and saw really questionable replacements. I decided to change things to give the team a bit more of an offensive presence. Whether you like the changes or not is entirely up to you but I'm not a huge fan of big mon changes unless I feel there's a big need. I ended up changing one mon here.

Your teams foundation is based on M-Heracross and Azumarill winning more or less, Heracross is super vital to beat most of the steels in the tier and will be one of 3 things winning you games from a couple of test games I had. I changed the spread to 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe Adamant on M-Heracross. You do two things out of probably what's missing of a lot of other details. You outpace the 44 speed Rotom-W and you also hit a speed tier to outpace Base 150s under Tailwind which include M-Alakazam and M-Aerodactyl. Your old spread gets you outpaced by both even after a Tailwind. The HP is a bit arbitrary but the maximum attack puts a bit more pressure on fat shit in the tier and after some chip will help 2hko Clef.

Not gonna lie I kind of suck at Ev'ing and I didn't really find a great benchmark for Whimsicott in regards to Moonblast but I just went 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed on Whimsicott. I don't like Whimsicott being slower than Lati or Keldeo, this also helps with M-Pinsir not using Quick Attack before you can do anything. The current set I'm using is Moonblast, Stun Spore, Tailwind, Memento. I'm considering using Encore over Stun spore since some set up mons are a bit of a pain but the choice between Stun Spore and Encore kind of depends what you want to match up better against, like Encore helps with preventing Manaphy clicking TG or Zard-X DDance freely which is huge due to the nature of this slower build. Memento kind of gives this team a more legitimate means of winning especially in the case of Azumarill who has 0 opportunities to set up without that and u-Turn support. Tailwind is really situational and in most cases requires you to sack your Whimsicott as an end game for Heracross or Azumarill. I dont like removing Whimsicott since it stops Keldeo from being out of control on this team.

I changed Lando-T to a Choice Scarf user with EQ, Stone Edge, U-Turn, Explosion cause the speed control and means to grab momentum on the team with your current Lando-T set was kind of awful and your current version was super slow. This lets the team not be so dependent on Tailwind to be successful and let it run like usual until you find opportunities to set up or w/e. The implementation of Scarf Lando-T makes the matchup against Rotom-W slightly easier along with normal offensive threats like M-Lopunny so that it can be worn down to a range of BD Azu can sweep or M-Hera can break. I like Explosion since it punches holes in opposing teams to provide set up opportunities or in the case of Rotom-W do heavy damage.

Changed the spread of Rotom-W to 252 HP / 148 Def / 20 SpDef / 88 Spe. Couple of defensive benchmarks is always living Latios Draco at full if Rocks aren't up so it's usually great to lead with. 88 Speed outruns everything from Jolly Crawdaunt and below since nothing really enjoys switching into Crawdaunt and a Rotom-W trying to tank a hit from Crawdaunt isn't pretty.

Big change was Jirachi > Heatran this one is a bit questionable to some but Heatran is getting a lot of overpreparation these days while Jirachi helps your team not be so weak to Diancie, Latios, M-Gardevoir, all in one sitting. 252 HP / 148 SpDef / 108 Spe with the speed benchmark letting you outpace Breloom allowing you to U-Turn out to Whimsicott in most cases. If you don't really care too much about this speed tier (this speed tier is also Timid Volcanion but that's rare) you can go 32 Spe and allocated the remaining EVs into SpDef.

Jolly 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe> Ada on BD Azumarill. There's only one set right now on Suicune that can hold it back and that set runs a lot of speed. This allows you to pressure things like weakened M-Venusaurs, Suicune, a bit better along with anyone who makes the mistake of not running 44 Spe Rotom-W which is the big reason for this change. You also get an edge on the Azu v Azu matchup since you'll be running Speed and chances are they won't.

Changing Heatran for Jirachi makes your matchup against M-Scizor a bit weaker by the way. You also now have to play around Birds but honestly your matchup was already kind of awful here to since the slowness of the team made most of your pivots and defensive utility really easy to take advantage of. You now have some offensive momentum to at least fight back and in the case of something like Zard-X never be in a position where it'll turn something into a complete liability. Without destroying the entirety of this teams concept the changes I tried out helps your team give a more offensive feel able to maintain momentum which I think is what you want when running a Tailwind Volt-turn like offense with two breakers.

Summary of Final Changes in Bold:

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Stun Spore / Encore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 20 SpD / 88 Spe
Bold Nature

- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
Give or take whatever you would like out of this and enjoy.
Thanks a lot AM for the suggestions! I actually have been running a Choice Scarf Landorus-T instead of a bulky one, and it does a lot more for the team. I like the Speed Benchmarks you hit with Heracross under the Tailwind, hitting both Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl before they can hit Heracross. I did find an EV spread that outspeeds base 111s for Whimsicott, 252 HP / 32 Def / 8 SpAtk / 216 Spe Timid. Do you think I'd be good running the little bit extra bulk on Whimsicott or should I just go for the full Speed investment? I like the Rotom set, but do I really need to live a Draco Meteor from a Latios if I have Whimsicott to take the hit? I EV'd Whimsicott to outspeed and 2HKO Latios, so should I keep the Special Defense bulk on Rotom? I've heard of Specially Defensive Jirachi, but never used it before, so I'll probably get back to you on that. I like the Azumarill set, and I like how Memento gives it a chance to set-up and possibly win the game. Thanks for your help though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)