1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Is the site ready for Platinum updates?

Discussion in 'Site Projects' started by Fishin, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Nov 1 is the date that we had previously decided would be when we would begin allowing Platinum updates to the site, but Platinum has playable on Shoddy for nearly a month now and a lot of popular sets for both new Pokemon and old Pokemon with new moves have been worked out and used a lot by now. IIRC the main argument against updating the site was that the analyses would need to be re-updated soon afterwards because the Platinum metagame still hasn't settled enough, but I'd rather have strategy information be as up-to-date as possible now (we are a site that focuses on competitive Pokemon, after all), since we can always update them later. Thoughts on this?
  2. Sonuis

Sonuis Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I've been getting pestered by requests for Platinum generalized tournaments for a bit. It's been rather annoying since I've had to reject them saying that the environment has not developed enough for it. Simply put, I'd approve when Smogon updates for Platinum.

I'm ready to see Smogon updated for Platinum. It already appears that the tier lists (Kingdra becoming OU killed my BL team) have been getting modifications due to Platinum influences. No changes based on D/P alone. It'd benefit me because then I can get some people off of my back asking if they can host tournaments with Platinum moves (Generalized).
  3. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I would go ahead with the updates. Many people (including myself) have many analyses waiting for the "set date" so we can just post them, changing them slightly as it goes on.
  4. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

aldaron talked about his in #is, and if the admins from high up above give their Seel of Approval, then I do as well.
  5. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I support this fully and have for a couple of weeks.
  6. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm really shy about posting, heh.

I think it should just be put up. I mean, the metagame's always going to evolve, obviously it's not going to have massive shifts like Platinum every month, but as it changes the site should change to reflect that if it wants to be an up-to-date reference. And Great Sage told me Garchomp editing is counted as part of Platinum changing, and there are a lot of analyses that are either centred around Garchomp or flooded with references when really it's basically now irrelevant for the purposes of most Pokémon. I think it's pointless especially where good sets are written and posted, and yet they can't be put up, or a better option can't be put in them yet, even though we're updating the site, because it isn't November yet.

back to reading about hobbits heh
  7. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think we're ready, alot of the sets are there waiting and putting out this information to the general public will help the metagame mature/stabilize if anything.
  8. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

To be honest, I've already written up a ton of stuff for platinum so I'd be fine with doing this now since I think the metagame has stabilized enough. At a minimum though, I think it would be appropriate for us to start updating basic things such as Hidden Power Bug --> Signal Beam on Alakazam for example.
  9. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I'm a bit worried about Garchomp tbh, his metagame position may very well change with more suspect tests on the way. We'll have to keep changing, I guess.
  10. Stallion

Stallion Winner of the "Smogon's Prettiest Girl of All Time" comp
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Or in an OU analysis, you can either a) keep a copy referring to Garchomp and one without it b) Make a note, saying that it is currently (insert position here) so it isn't relevant at the moment, but write an "if he becomes OU" part. It works but can confuse some people I guess. But yeah support the update :)
  11. Anti

Anti
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'm all for the Platinum updates being posted, but first we need a conclusion on the Garchomp problem. IMO as it's position is under jeopardy, the references should be left in place.
  12. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

In the case where an analysis has EVs just for Garchomp, should it maybe be changed if it's seen as suitable and the Garchomp spread referenced in the set?
  13. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Is this really necessary? I mean, we never wait for environments to develop before allowing for instance a StrikeOut tournament, or a SRless tournament.

I would like to join tournaments with undeveloped environments, it could add to the fun!

[edit] - Also I support updating for platinum asap. I dont see why we cant reupdate if things change again.. Its not like premature analyses are any worse than out of date analyses..

Have a nice day.
  14. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Supporting Platinum updates.
  15. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, Garchomp's status is not under jeopardy for a long time to come. Garchomp's re-test wont come up until after all of the suspects have been tested, after about 3 weeks per suspect....its not looking like Garchomp will be back anytime soon, if ever.

As far as analyses go, if there is any EV spread that is there solely because of Garchomp, it should be changed. If there is just some mention of "hey you might want to put 40 SpAtk EVs here so you can 2hko Garchomp" in any set, keep it but make an amendment about the state of the current metagame.

Things also need to be edited around for the introduction of Shaymin-S. Are we going to do a separate analysis for it? What about the Rotom forms and Giratina-O? There are several things that counter Shaymin-S and various Rotom forms quite handily and they certainly deserve a mention in their respective pages.
  16. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Supporting this. Shaymin-S, Giratina-O, and Rotom-Appliance (Rotom-A?)need to be added to the site.
  17. RBG

RBG But I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop grooving.
    is a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Super Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

Personally, I find this a little ill-timed because Great Sage just posted an announcement in C&C stating updating starts November 1st.

How we define updating could be changed a bit however. If we start writing the analysis now and post them on November 1st, I assume that could meet the same date and meet the date requirements
  18. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Personally, I think that we should start the Platinum updates as soon as possible. November 1st is too long and we've seen generally how the metagames work. Also, the metagames are ever changing so we can't really adapt to it anyways, so we'd be changing analyses over and over again. It's good to start from somewhere. It's hard to explain.

Yes, there should definitely be separate analyses for each one. To prevent confusion, each of the Rotom appliances deserve their own analysis imo, very much like how Deoxys-A and Deoxys-N gets their own analyses.
  19. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, the Rotom's should have different pages.

In the case of a moveset that does not use the special move, eg:

- Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave / Will-o-Wisp

(Or whatever people have been using), it should IMO, be repeated on each page and the name of the Rotom simply changed. (Though I'd expect the special move to get a mention for each Rotom...)
  20. Aldaron

Aldaron All da lil birdies chirpin
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

About Garchomp...can we not do any drastic things yet?

He is uber now yea, but there is still stage 3 of our process outlined in PR.

It would be a pain to have edited for no-Garchomp only to have it come back 4 months later....
  21. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!

Damn, I'm ready to help update this. Honchkrow and Rotom-H especially.

Supporting the move for this.
  22. Great Sage

Great Sage

Dammit, fine. I'll post a thread where we hammer out the rules for the process in about an hour and we'll start when that's finalized.
  23. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

I propose we get several admin okays first.
  24. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I don't think each different Rotom Appliance needs its own page, with only one move difference each set would probably look the same and I'm sure certain Rotom's with a crappy exclusive move won't even need it. The heading for each set could read "Rotom Toaster," "Rotom Fridge," etc. A page for Rotom and a separate page for Rotom Appliance should be enough in my opinion.
  25. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!

Sorry zerowing but I have to disagree. Each Rotom plays differently (believe it or not) with the few moves it has. It may not look like much but I'm not using my Toaster Rotom to counter Heatran when Rotom-H has Hydro Pump (no I'm not talking about switching in and such, I mean when I switch when something fainted). I agree that some sets are similair but some are rather unique... like the Rain Dance Rotom-H.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)