Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my piece of paper looking for just about anything that isn't stupid fucking 12-hour rotation shifts in a crummy factory and having nobody hire me for a god damn thing even though I'm well-educated and highly reliable where the fuck do you people live >:[
If you read through this carefully, you'll realize almost all of us are students. Talk to us 10 years later. Right now we're drunk on our cozy lives.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my piece of paper looking for just about anything that isn't stupid fucking 12-hour rotation shifts in a crummy factory and having nobody hire me for a god damn thing even though I'm well-educated and highly reliable where the fuck do you people live >:[
What Soul Fly said. Also in my case, I live in a vacation town. So as nice as it is 9 months out of the year, November-January there is NO work here.

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can solve a rubik's cube in under 50s (my best is 40.29). Nowhere near world class though and likely not the best on smogon.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I was 3rd in the world in the TBD game mode of Altitude and 10th in Ball for a while before I quit; you won't find me on there anymore since they had to redo some servers and I haven't played in the new season. There were quite a bit more players when I held those ranks.

I was 11k in osu for a while before I quit that too. I think my highest score was like 4th on Maui Wowie? I don't remember I had 4th on some song. I could never do expert stuff though; I was just fairly good at memorizing where stuff was for flashlight. Apparently I'm still #34 on Michael Jackson's Black or White.

I broke at Golden Desert in policy debate and got fairly close to a few bid rounds at some other smaller debate tournaments in high school. Got to finals at Berkeley in JV as a sophomore but no one cares about JV debate. Got to semifinals of a couple small debate tournaments in college but got walked over by teammates both times in IPDA/Parliamentary debate with a few other quarterfinals in both. I'm now considered one of the better high school debate judges in the state and have judged multiple TOC/Nat Quals/State Quals/State bid rounds and finals of multiple events, including terrible events like Public Forum :/

I guess those things are pretty cool.

I'm a jack of all trades, but master of none. I'm smart, but not best in my class or family. I'm athletic, but can't even get to regionals in my sport (tennis). I'm musically talented, but second chair (to a raging dick) and not nearly the best vocalist in my school.

I do, however have a 169,000,000 high score on Temple Run 2. If there's one thing I might be best at in the world, it's that. But no one will ever know because the leaderboard is full of cheaters!!!!

But I'm not bitter.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
The only thing I'm good at is math. I placed top 5 for the AMC in my age group when I was in 5th grade. I made USAJMO in 7th and 8th grade and made AMO this year. Hopefully I do well enough to get into MOPS and if by some retarded chance I do really well there I would be on the US National Team for IMO. I also did AP Calc BC in 7th grade. Does that count?

Everybody expects me to solve a rubix cube quickly cuz I'm good at math or something, but I can't fucking do it. I never had the time really. I'm also p good at science because I won state science bowl and got 13th at nationals. Nowhere near best in the world but it's something I guess.

Last edited:
Apparently I hold the Sit-And-Reach for my school and I'd be willing to bet for other schools across Canada too.

May not be very impressive, but only 3 people in my school have gotten within 8cm of my record(Which is +32cm, or reaching 82cm on the meter stick).
It's probably really late to revise this and stuff, but this was more impressive than I thought. Besides improving to +34cm past my toes(with my toes at 26cm, reaching to 60cm, the previous time I had my toes at 50cm), apparently that puts me in in the 99th percentile rank.

I used to be a "pro" at MKWii racing, I was in a few racing clans throughout much of my high school days. I had the world record TT run on Moonview Highway for about week and a half back in early 2009. My time was 1:44.3xx, which has since been surpassed.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am the best in the world at being good at a number of things already mentioned in this thread but choking when it matters most. I won awards in a number of provincial math contests and such throughout high school and qualified for the Canadian Math Olympiad, only to choke and not make the International squad. I have a bunch of 2nd place finishes at Science competitions and such. I choked away my team's chances at a provincial title in a trivia competition and ended up 2nd. I believe I have something like 6 silver or bronze medals from soccer in my younger years, but never a gold. If you want advice on how to choke, I'm your man.

Still going to school; anyway, I'm in the 99th percentile in the state for my age, and got like 76th percentile for the ACT. I guess I'm smart, so does that count as a talent?
Edit: Turns out I am in the top 5% of academically talented students my age which puts me in the top 3100 of America, at least according to the DukeTip program.

Last edited:
1) Back in 2008 a Runescape update released the summoning skill, I quickly mastered the skill and I believe I was in the first 20 players to get 99 in the skill. It took a long time to say the least but I was very proud of this achievement and needless to say I was horrified at how the world had changed when I emerged from my cave and rejoined society.

2) I was 1st in the worlds rankings for Call of Duty Black Ops for about a day :)

3) I don't know if I'm the best in the world but I have won a lot of fusball tournaments and I'm pretty sure I'm a contender to be one of the best in my country.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Well I got 7th in the state in academic testing for Latin (7-12th grade).

I really doubt that's good though

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since it's extremely difficult to be -the- best in the world at anything, I've found it fun to look at a particular combinations of skills that you're likely the best at.

For example:

1) Soccer. Played competitive soccer all my life, including in college. While there are tons of people better than me in the world, I'm still better than more than like 99.9% of the world (this includes men who play soccer, men who don't play soccer, women, and children, so that figure really isn't all that unreasonable)

2) Gen 1 OU Pokemon. Played since 2003, know all the ins and outs, and probably in the top 10 battlers left still on the site. I was far and away the best on the ladder last time I played, about a year ago, staying at #1 for a few months. Though I'm sure many of the older battlers at least tie me on skill level. I beat the site owner (and good friend) chaos on a regular basis. He sucks.

3. Being white. Only because husk or reyscarface could possibly pose a challenge to me on the first two. But I knock them out with this one. As well as any good Japanese soccer players who are closet online pokemon players.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Still going to school; anyway, I'm in the 99th percentile in the state for my age, and got like 76th percentile for the ACT. I guess I'm smart, so does that count as a talent?
Edit: Turns out I am in the top 5% of academically talented students my age which puts me in the top 3100 of America, at least according to the DukeTip program.
?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I suppose i'm in a tie for best composite act score in the world :p

I almost/should've won IHSA speech state in impromptu speaking this year... But state fucking sucks so w/e.

And that's all I got :p I'm incredibly impressed by my fellow smogonites, though. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)