Is there such thing as a good hail team?

Is there such thing as a good hail team?

• No, there are too many weaknesses.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Yes, the ice type is great offensively.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Maybe, it all depends on the user.

Votes: 101 77.7%
  • No way in hell.

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only if Dragontamer were never born, there wouldn't be. In other words, yes, but you need careful planning.

I currently run a mono-Ice team (I know a hail team doesn't have to be mono-Ice, but I've been making mono-type teams, so I thought, "Why not use hail on a mono-Ice team?") that abuses hail and I've face a few hail teams in doubles.

All I can say is that 100% Blizzards=rape. Seriously.

I have a hail team, and it's pretty awesome. I used hail team before Dragontamer posted his Stallrein, but I didn't use Stallrein on my team, heh!

It really depends on the use, like most things in this game. With good preparation and prediction a Hail team can be very good, also reminds me of when my friend said UU gets owned in OU, but look at what some of the users here have done with their UU teams/pokemon.

Good point. I just wish that more than the ice type was immune to Hail or that more than Abamaswow got Snow Warning. That would make teams much easier to use.

Good point. I just wish that more than the ice type was immune to Hail or that more than Abamaswow got Snow Warning. That would make teams much easier to use.
I have 2 non-ice types on my hail team. Garchomp and Tentacruel.

Garchomp gets even better because his 4x ice weakness is neutralized as I have 3 pokemon who are 2x resistant to Ice, and 1 pokemon who is 4x resistant.

Hail does not imply mono-ice. In fact, one of my special sweepers used to be Blizzard PorygonZ. Worked very well actually, except that PorygonZ was far too slow.

i said maybe it all depends on the user cuz i got my socks rocked by a hail team once. my hearts still a little frozen from losing that bad.
i could see someone failing terribly at a hail team though too.

I have 2 non-ice types on my hail team. Garchomp and Tentacruel.

Garchomp gets even better because his 4x ice weakness is neutralized as I have 3 pokemon who are 2x resistant to Ice, and 1 pokemon who is 4x resistant.

Hail does not imply mono-ice. In fact, one of my special sweepers used to be Blizzard PorygonZ. Worked very well actually, except that PorygonZ was far too slow.
OMG.. Dragontamer, I have the same two non-ice types on my team too (and I swear I have never battled you).

I use Garchomp for stealth rock, and Tenta for TS and RSing.

The way I see it, using a Hail team is basically putting your name in a basket and hoping you get a good draw or some shit. You'll win against some teams, but then you're going to lose against others. It really comes down to the whole "who has the team advantage" when you're playing with Hail teams, much as any other team quite frankly. =/

as long as infernape isn't around, i think you're fine, or weavile

cause those two will serve the most trouble

and hail teams absolutely rape sandstorm teams

as long as infernape isn't around, i think you're fine, or weavile

cause those two will serve the most trouble

and hail teams absolutely rape sandstorm teams

I doubt that's true, considering a SS team probably has an easier time manuevering around whatever the hell it has to face rather than a Hail team can get around Tyranitar. Hell, we could make TTar not have Sandstorm as a trait and I'd still fear it more if I was using a Hail team.

Hail teams can be plenty useful, it's seriously underrated compared to sandstorm. The key is to find a few Pokes that cover ice weaks well and go with a 4 ice/2 non or 3 ice/3non setup. Also get yourself a spinner for stealth rock weak.

And there are many good ice pokemon to choose from, the UU options become suddently much more viable in OU play with a hailstorm. Of course you'll probably want to avoid Glalie, and Delibird is pathetic, but you get the drift.

And by the way, there are successful hail teams not copies of or associated with Dragontamer. QueenFrostine is around #60 on the shoddy ladder and her hail team does not have Stallrein,Heatran, Tentacruel etc.

Am I the only one who thinks the poll answers aren't covering much at all? No/Yes/Maybe is enough, No way in hell is unnecessary, and then maybe my reasoning isn't the same as the one in the poll either.

Anyway, chances are you're hurting the opponent's team about as much as your own, or you use more Ice-types and that makes you more vulnerable defensively. You'll have to rely on things like Ice Body and Snow Hide to win sometimes, which can work, but it's not always the case.

Well of course there are good hail teams, its just that you are predictable using one. Stuff like Dugtrio trapping your non-ice members spells doom usually.

Though, I have been successful with my hail team, alot more then I thought I would be.

I just made a hail team but it was all ice so after being rated, I let Tentacruel join in, BUT should Donphan be the sixth addition because my Heatran, who has good IVs, is Sassy:( or is there someone else?

I used a Hail team on Shoddy and I usually win over 70% the battles I do. I once stalled a uber team with it.

Of course, you need a lot of player skill and planning, but Hail teams certainly have potential.

Well of course they work, but not without outside help like heatran surprising enemy when he just tries to flamethrow you away.

Of course hail teams can work. Given a good player, just about any decently thought out theme team could work. This goes for sandstorm, hail, sunny day, rain dance, trick room, mono-typing and even gravity or tailwind teams.

Although in my experience, sandstorm teams are still superior to hail. It offers a lot more versatility than hail for starters. When I was making one, I found that there were maybe 12 usable pokemon for a hail team and pretty much every hail team will have some combination of them.

For instance, out of the ice pokemon you would have the choice of abomasnow, weavile, mamoswine, glaceon, froslass, walrein and regice.

Then to cover your weaknesses these teams tend to add in pokemon like swampert, garchomp, gliscor, heatran and tentacruel.

So there's your team. Given that abomasnow is a must, just mix and match from the rest. Very predictable and they say sandstorm teams all have the same pokemon.

i've haven't lost yet to a SS team, the closest one was me winning 3-0

ttar doesn't scare me much, glaceon's blizzard hits so freaking hard, it's not even funny, but that's only if the ttar isn't running dragon dance, if he is, then i'm a little worried, but that's when i send in my ttar counter

sandstorm teams are much more versatile, cause you can choose from three types that won't take damage from SS, hail has only one type but also, SS gives rock pokes a boost in sp.def, hail goes in and takes it away

and since almost every rock poke has below average sp.def (cradily and regirock are exceptions), they'll take massive damage

just infernape and weavile don't take much from ice attacks and can carry a move that is SE against most of your team, hence why i feel they're the most threatening to a team (pretty much, they're the only pokes i lose to)

also, abomasnow maybe a lead, but he will become a late sweeper because if you lose him, you're done

SS teams are harder to counter w/o weather, but fail to other weather teams because the best pokes in SS mostly are rock due to the boost, w/o that boost, they'll die incredibly quick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)