1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #13 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Rising_Dusk, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, your art WAS the most badass, and it happened to have the perfect dimensions for cover art...

Great job, everyone.
  2. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

3. Green Thunder

Green Thunder

A small nitpick(that for some reason really pisses me off) I would like to say that Buffafro is a Buffalo, not a Bull... And real men use lanturn, not stupid Garchomp...
  4. Daenym

Daenym

The fact that Desumasu didn't make it into the Stupid Japanese Names section made me kinda sad. A friend and I have been talking about him since months before B/W were released XD
  5. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

gdamn I knew I was forgetting someone . . . yeah, that name is extremely retarded . . .

retrospecy FYI:

desu / masu are used to end sentences in Japanese's "standard" polite form.

. . . but, in this case, when combined with the design of the pokemon itself, you end up reading it as shortened Katakana.

Katakana words are foreign words, but Japanese will also abbreviate foreign phrases by using only the first segment of each word. Examples include Raji-Kase (radio/cassette player) and Ame-Futo (American Football). They also use this method to nickname bands with western sounding names, like Tora-Nesu (Trap Nest) or BLAST (Black Stones).

So in DesuMasu's case, the katakana word Desu is often used as the closest pronunciation to the word "Death" (hence Yu-Gi-Oh cards like Des Koala, Des Wombat). Where as Masu is used to abbreviate "Mask".

So DesuMasu is Desk Mask, but also puns off of DesuMasu which refers to a form of speech.

. . . yeah . . .
  6. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Was a good issue, nice job! ^^
  7. Professor Lamb

Professor Lamb

Great issue, excellent job to everyone who contributed!
  8. Redtype

Redtype

Disappointed with the "manliest Pokemon" article. Everyone knows that the manliest Pokemon ever is Reshiram.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)