1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #22 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Setsuna, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

Why don't you shut your fa-

Oh.

Thanks!

If you don't already have workshop access, we might be able to work something out. You don't need any particular education to participate, but people who are well versed with a scientific vocabulary would fare better than others. Although that is subjective I suppose, you could just check out this and the former sessions to get an idea of how a typical entry sounds like.
  2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

I was not aware of a workshop section, and unless it's hidden somewhere I can't find it at all.

Now that I've had more time to read it, this was a REALLY good issue. Good job and thank you to everyone involved!
  3. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Birdiest of all Birds was cool but I thought this issue was lacking articles.

Great work!
  4. xenu

xenu Banned deucer.

a disappointing issue imo; minecraft article was nice but the rest of it was just pokemon, pokemon and more pokemon.
  5. SuperJOCKE

SuperJOCKE Deleting...
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

It's lacking articles because the Smog is released monthly now, instead of bi-monthly.

For example, the RMT's and Featured Pokémon are split each issue. For example, Featured UU RMT was in this issue, but not Featured UU Pokémon. Next issue, Featured UU Pokémon will appear but not the UU RMT.
  6. Danmire

Danmire Finding motivation.
    is an Artist Alumnus

you're right it's not like this is a webzine that has to do with pokemon anyway
  7. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

I felt like this issue was lacking something that other issues have had, can't put my finger on it.

My favorite art this month was the Medal Rally art, however. Good issue.
  8. Reader

Reader

Sweet! I always look forward to Reading any articles, especially The Smog. So far, the articles and artwork exceed expectations and the monthly release date is even better!
  9. xenu

xenu Banned deucer.

when you have an entire website that tells you why this set is great and why you should use that pokemon, you don't need a webzine to do the exact same thing when you can have articles about say, the community, that are actually interesting to read and don't just appeal to some ultra-niche crowd like "normal types in RU".
  10. Redew

Redew
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

We're doing things monthly instead of bi-monthly, so the lack of articles could be it. We're still working on them, so be on the look out for that "lacking" piece of work!
  11. Zebraiken

Zebraiken GANONBOARF
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    NU Co-Leader

what do you expect from a community that builds itself around competitive pokemon? what kind of articles about the community are supposed to come about that don't simply re-hash what we you can already find by reading through the forums? i am honestly curious about your answer.

otherwise, i guess i just don't understand why you're expecting non-pokemon articles from a pokemon webzine
  12. xenu

xenu Banned deucer.

are you honestly claiming that the smogon community is so one-dimensional as to have 0 interests outside of pokemon?? i don't know about you, but most users ive met wouldn't exactly vehemently object to articles that aren't "HEY THESE ARE HEATMOR'S BEST SETS IN NU". what about editorials?? opinion pieces?? reviews?? satire?? the smog has zero personality only because you're treating it like ANALYSES: THE MAGAZINE; it's supposed to be an entity of its own and not just another appendage of C&C where talentless hacks who call themselves 'writers' can smurf a badge or two.

sorry if i sound rude
  13. Thorns

Thorns

i wouldn't mind more non-pokemon content to be honest. the regular content gets a bit dry but that's just me, maybe there are people who have no issues with the smog at all
  14. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

as with everything else on this site, it's written by users, for users. if you want it, write it and offer it up for next month, otherwise stop calling on someone else to fix it. nobody's gonna magically do the writing for you, especially seeing as we aren't paying for the smog and can't wave our money to demand material we like. you want somebody to write it? "somebody" is you.

in other news: the smog was good this month
  15. Present

Present

Thanks for the Issue, I enjoyed it very much. I particularly liked the underrated moveset articles, as well as the retyping one.
  16. Jhon

Jhon

A whole article about bird pokémon and no mention of either 'Bird' type pokémon, Missingno. and 'M. I even hear 'Missingno.' commonly pronounced as to rhyme with 'flamingo', further crediting it's status as a bird.
  17. ElectivireRocks

ElectivireRocks Banned deucer.

Definitely not the whole community.
  18. bowser962

bowser962

This is the first time I have read a smog, cover to cover, and i enjoyed the entire thing. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this.
  19. Blaze123

Blaze123

Where can I find the minecraft server for smogcraft?
  20. SalTheThief

SalTheThief

A good place to start might be the Minecraft thread in the off-topic section.
  21. sandshrewz

sandshrewz POTATO
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

/late. Had fun working with this issue ^_^ The next will definitely be better! Great time working with new people too~ I read most of the articles and liked them, Pokemon-related or not. Featured NU RMT must read !_!

/me awaits next issue
  22. Setsuna

Setsuna Prototype
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

For everybody out there talking about a lack of issues: for over a year now, we have been making a The Smog that packs well over 40 articles with each release — I cannot put that into context, but saying that that is a ridiculous amount of both work and content seems to be accurate. The current issue, #22, has marked a new era for us and with it comes an online magazine that focuses less on delivering a large quantity of articles, and more on getting them out earlier and better distributed subject-wise. We are continuously learning from our own work and making improvements to what we do as a community.
  23. Bedlington

Bedlington

Thank you so much for all of your hard work, as a beginner to competitive battling, I really enjoy all the articles I can read. Remember, despite the criticism you may get on articles, there are still people out there, like myself, who appreciate everyone's efforts
  24. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Do you learn whether or not you gave the right answers to the trivia when the next issue is released, or are you notified beforehand? Other than that, great issue and really looking forward to the next one.
  25. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Being someone who won a trivia challenge once, you find out when the article is released, and you are expected to contact the admin mentioned (I'm pretty sure it's still Mekkah, though) to claim your prize. It makes no difference if you have access to the Workshop also, you wait for the article release, and then PM the admin to claim your prize. All there is to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)