1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #30 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Setsuna, Sep 26, 2013.

?

Which article was your favourite in this issue?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2013.
  1. Note From the Editor

4.2%
  2. Interview with Stellar

25.0%
  3. Sun and Sandz: A Farewell Interview

8.3%
  4. What is Smogon Mentorship?

20.8%
  5. What's going on in RMT?

4.2%
  6. Trivia

8.3%
  7. NU Teambuilding 101

16.7%
  8. A Beginner's Guide to Trick Room

20.8%
  9. The Outrageous Dragons of RU

12.5%
  10. Powerful Plants: The Grass-types of RU

8.3%
  11. NU's Top Threats: How do they fare in RU?

8.3%
  12. Metagame Comparison: DPP UU vs BW RU

4.2%
  13. Differences Between Smogon Doubles and VGC

8.3%
  14. When Babies Escape Daycare: LC Pokemon That Wreck Outside of LC

8.3%
  15. Anything Goes! Balanced Hackmons Threats Revealed

12.5%
  16. The Arterview: elcheeso

8.3%
  17. Movie Critics - The Panel: Blue Times Two

8.3%
  18. Smogon Noir - The Underside of Smogburbia

12.5%
  19. The Five Stages of Hax Plus drops some bars

29.2%
  20. RODANNING it, how to survive on smogon whilst badgeless

25.0%
  21. The Societea: The Aftermath

8.3%
  22. Best New Moves of Each Generation

4.2%
  23. Mega Speculation: Mega Evolutions and Their Potential Impact

12.5%
  24. Generation Five: The reasons why we wish we didn't have to say goodbye

12.5%
  25. Similarities & Differences: Mantine & Skarmory

12.5%
  26. Pokémon Origins

16.7%
  27. Streaming: Next Generation YouTubers

8.3%
  28. RU Sure About That? Advising Opponents on the RU Ladder

4.2%
  29. A Cyclic Psychic: The Ups and Downs of Alakazam

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace Emerald

Ace Emerald Horsing around
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Visual Media Head

"And shout-out to my #1 mentor Superpowerdude!"

The fuck >:[? After all we've been through ;_;
    Celever, Pikachuun and Hulavuta like this.
  2. Adrian Marin

Adrian Marin

I have experienced the 4 stages of hax, but not the 5th, I will never accept hax, I will always be angry deep inside... great article by the way Treecko! It's so true.

I have a few comments on the "BH Threats Revealed" and I think a lot of it is highly inaccurate some of the "common threats" were common in the past, but are not actually common at all in the current metagame, such as Rhydon: 1850 statistics #45 in Balanced Hackmons | Usage: 2.45663% | Raw count 234

Some threats aren't even "top threats" such as Unaware Lugia, which is a decent Unaware user, but has immense competition from Cresselia, which is more reliable because it doesn't have a SR weakness and has more physical bulk. Regirock is good, but Rapid Spin shouldn't be an option since it can't scare away Giratina, the PH Regigigas set is extremely outdated, i'm very surprised that Spore+Dragon Tail isn't even an option! The Dialga set is good, but not exactly "common" and last (and also least) Illusion Slaking is no way a threat in the BH metagame, every single Unaware in existence kills it with a click of Foul Play.

Besides all this, great issue guys!
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  3. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude is an official Custom Title Rater
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor

Great issue guys! Also grats to skylight and flora they are both amazing!

Also goid job to Hulavuta for finally writing an article great work bro! <3 u

Don't worry ace emerald, second place is alright. Seriously that shoutout was beautiful :')
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Celever, Hulavuta and Flora like this.
  4. hidood5th

hidood5th

I'm confused. I'm kinda new to the site, and I just need to know how to send my Trivia answers to The Smog, because I can't figure it out
  5. Flora

Flora Yep, that tasted purple!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

Click http://www.smogon.com/forums/conversations/add?to=The Smog, input the title as "Issue 30 Trivia" and put in your answers for each respective question below it. After that, send it (by Start a Conversation) and hope you got it!
  6. AquaAdmin

AquaAdmin

Love the one about hax. It's silly.
    Also, the dragons in RU. Altaria omg. But seriously, great way to introduce how to use dragons correctly in RU, because it's surprisingly different from the OU dragons in that bulk can be your best friend. Bulky dragons > Speedy dragons, imo.
    *awkward transition to the article in which they talk about mantine and i loved it*
    Ahh, the typings. Steel/flying can smash most other types into the ground, especially with that 140 defense. Mantine's typing? Ehh, not so much. I blame stealth rock for all the flying-types in NU/RU.
    Mantine > Skarmory for names, imo.
  7. The Quasar

The Quasar
    is a Tiering Contributor

Thanks a lot. Always interesting.
  8. azureleaf17

azureleaf17

I loved the emphasis on RU this issue. Also, the last picture at the bottom of the article "Powerful Plants: The Grass-Types of RU" is driving me nuts.
    Mack the Knife likes this.
  9. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

props to lucariojr for a comprehensive guide on Trick Room in Doubles! The article was packed with solid material; you can literally have this turned into an article if you desire it :0

Also, that's some slick Chandelure, Bummer ;D
  10. j_hunter

j_hunter

You guys do fantastic work, reading The Smog is an absolute pleasure. Congrats on 30 issues.
  11. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

skylight, i think we're giving too much credit to kadew in the movie panel. (He's credited but skipped out on this iss.)

EDIT: Also, Deniosaur forgot to make the phrase "Magnificent Mower" at the beginning of the Rotom-C part in my grass-type this link: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue29/ru_spotlight_rotomc

EDIT #2: Fixed with my new scms superpowers.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    Superpowerdude likes this.
  12. Kingler12345

Kingler12345 COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE STARTS WITH C
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hey, this is a rather small thing, but in Grasstypes of RU, in the second paragraph of Amoonguss, 'Stealth Rock' is mentioned as 'Stealth Rocks'. I hooe tou can fix that, Mack the Knife =)
    EDIT- Also in the last sentence of rotom-c, there should be a space after the comma.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  13. skylight

skylight the cold never bothered me anyway
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ugh haunter deleted his post. Anyway guys there is now a poll go vote :)
  14. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I would vote for Plus's article but it's attached to Five Stages of Hax.
    Hulavuta likes this.
  15. Hulavuta

Hulavuta twins are really cool
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Voted for Interview with Stellar. He's really been doing a great job since he became in charge of Orange Islands, with promoting/hosting community events, the IRC channel, and just moderation of the discussion in general. And yes, I have no shame in these ass-kissing comments because he really does deserve it; he's been doing a great job. :P

I also voted for my own article. I am such a terrible person, I know :|

But honestly, I'm glad I was able to do an article about that. Like I said on the first page, it was really about what brought me to The Smog in the first place. It was also reassuring when Celever asked me a bunch of questions about the program and I was able to say "I covered it in the article" to each question. At least I can be sure that I covered the pertinent questions about something that really is still a bit of a mystery to a lot of users. Which is honestly a damn shame because it's one of the best things that has happened to this site, at least in my opinion.

EDIT: But DAMN, I can't believe I forgot to also vote for lucariojr's Trick Room article! Having an article of over 8000 words is no easy feat! It was also hilarious to see all of the pain it caused for the GP team! lol
    lucariojr and Kingler12345 like this.
  16. Kingler12345

Kingler12345 COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE STARTS WITH C
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Ugh, I liked so many of these articles that I chose 6 or 7 favorites lol y such good articles =) Keep up the excellent work.
  17. Proc Trainer

Proc Trainer

I always enjoyed the Smog magazine and its fun, yet educational articles. You guys work very hard :D.

P.S.: I'm new on this forum, so I'm wondering where I can formally introduce myself.

P.P.S.: How can I get involved with the Smog magazine? It looks like a lot of fun and I have some writing skills that might be useful (I'm part of my college newspaper).
  18. Flora

Flora Yep, that tasted purple!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

You can introduce yourself at this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/introduce-yourself.3480294/.

Getting involved with The Smog depends on how knowledgeable you are in a certain area. You have writing skills, but can you weave that with another area of your expertise? Maybe you can creatively use that skill to write some entertainment or other featured articles if you're not really in the know of the metagame or battling strategy. Perhaps you want to do something related to arts and creation? You should check out the index (http://www.smogon.com/smog/archive) to see what ideas have been used (usually anything about Issue 25ish+ is a recent but safe idea). We tend to stay away from storytelling however.

If you have an idea, feel free to post it in the Article Approval subforums. We'll try to lead you to a better path if it's a good idea or tell you to think of another idea if it's not what we're looking for.
  19. Proc Trainer

Proc Trainer

Thank you very much :). I'll do a formal introduction and then get back here for Smog. I'm not so good on the battling strategy aspect of Pokemon (though I want to learn, thus my presence on this forum), but I'm willing to do entertainment :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)