1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #9 Released

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Jimbo, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sceats

Sceats

ahah im still laughing at the caterpies expresion on the revenankh pic.
  2. MegaKick

MegaKick

Love it! The art was awesome. Very insightful, the double interview was awesome. Lazy Mekkah ;)

P.S. I was the first to talk about ice defense hail boost. I posted it like 2 months ago in the black and white thread.
  3. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This issue was a really great read! Good work to everyone involved.
  4. Scimjara

Scimjara Bert Stare

The artwork was really nice. GJ with the lead synergy article!
  5. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I just gave the issue a read-through. Great work! Notable standouts for me:

• Phil's Protips were perfect. Great mix of information and style.

• SDS did a great job with Breloom. I've been a 'Loom fan forever, but that article made me want to fire up a Shroom team, and do some SubPunching just for fun.

• The OU RMT by undisput3ed and TOF was a nice read, and I normally don't get too interested in RMT's in the Smog

• Scofield's Lead Synergy article caught my eye because of the layout and quick hit blurbs for key pokemon. That drew me in to read the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. Nice work, Scofield.

• Mekkah's TCG article was surprisingly interesting, since I have never played TCG and still don't intend to. But, Mekkah did a great job of making the article accessible to general pokemon enthusiasts. I enjoyed the read.

• Deck Knight's speculations on B&W were a nice comic diversion with some great historical game tidbits thrown in.

• The art was the best overall effort I have seen in any issue to date. Cartoon's Venusaur, Icepick's Tyranitar, Cyzir's Latias, HellaHellaStyle's Breloom, and Hen's Moltres were the ones that really stood out for me. But, big props to all the contributing artists in this ish.
  6. Captain Snacks

Captain Snacks

That was a great read, I can tell a good bit of effort was put into this. Good job to everyone who contributed.
  7. Delko

Delko
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Great as always. I really liked the art this issue, keep up to good work ^^
  8. Golden Sun

Golden Sun vale
    is a Pre-Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Dome Aceis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 11 Champion

Great Job Guys
  9. EpitomeOfFailure

EpitomeOfFailure

Awesome as ever!

By the way, the article "Featured type: Dragon" mentions that either of Giratina´s STAB moves coupled with Aura Sphere nets unresisted coverage. The only mon resisting dragon+finghtning, Shedinja is actually sometimes used in Ubers, and might warrant a mention.

Edit: lol'd at "That's like telling Jimbo to use quick attack..."
    ... feeling bad. That was a personal insult after all.
  10. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yeah I got mentioned ;D

Great job everyone, and especially a big thanks to user jumpluff who htmlises almost everything! Noob vashta :P
  11. bojangles

bojangles IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Just wanted to congratulate everybody on this amazing issue, and to say I'm sorry I couldn't be a bit more involved in its creation. The artwork is truly fantastic (icepick's tyranitar is too good ._.) and special thanks to jumpluff, the HTML queen, and the various writers who really give it their all (this means you guys, Erazor and Alchemator). Congrats!
  12. King Louie

King Louie

One of the best issues since the first ones. Really enjoyed the predictions for generation 5
  13. Squirrel.

Squirrel.

Nice job reverb on the underrated move sets that was an awesome article and it helped me and im sure will help others alot...Expect now people might acually prepare for agility luc :'(.....Lol awesome smog!
  14. FlareBlitz

FlareBlitz This was never a story that would have a happy end
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Echoing the others who said that the art was excellent. It really was. The Moltres art in particular was fantastic!
  15. Staraptor Call

Staraptor Call

The art was especially good in this issue. For the last lead synergy set, it should be noted that Choice Scarf Breloom can be used in place of Roserade for a more accurate Sleep move without losing the ability to revenge-kill later in the game. Expert Belt Tyranitar also deserves a mention in the Underrated Movesets article, as it can net a huge number of surprise OHKOes on Scizor, Heatran, other Tyranitar, and more.
  16. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Excellent job to all the hard workers on another great issue of The Smog.
  17. NightmareZ

NightmareZ

I have a minor nitpick with the lead synergy article.

Why not lead with metagross in the starmie/metagross combo, as it beats more of the 11 leads you posted then starmie does.

I will assume my personal favourite set which is the lumgross with meteor mash, SR, bullet punch and explosion.

Azelf: Metagross does better unless mash misses but hey its not as risky as hydro pumping

Aerodactyl: Metagross

Swampert: Starmie

Metagross: Starmie

Jirachi: probably metagross depends on their move choice and the set

Infernape: Starmie

Machamp: Metagross

Roserade: Metagross

Tyranitar: Metagross

Gliscor: starmie

Heatran: Starmie

As you can see we sit at Starmie 5 and metagross 6 although starmie comes back further down the list which leaves us at the conclusion

If you hate machamp, lead with metagross.

Wow i answered my own question, awsome, however I would like scofield to give us a slightly larger insight.
  18. Scofield

Scofield Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Apparently you missed the point of the article. It isn't to have the best chance at having a favorable lead match up but rather to defeat your opponent's lead while giving you the momentum/advantage. In other words, I don't give a fuck if Metagross matches up better to more leads than Starmie. If you lead with lum gross, you give up Rocks to Heatran, Infernape, etc, for free, losing you momentum. Whereas leading with Starmie applies pressure to leads which Metagross cannot (Gliscor, etc) while enticing most leads to attack Starmie (Roserade with leaf storm, Machamp with Payback, Aero with Rock Slide, etc) and with Starmie's deadly coverage, not many leads will attempt to overpredict, allowing Metagross to easily shrug off Leaf Storms, Rock Slides or whatever. And then Metagross is out against Roserade or whatever anyways and all it has cost you is minor health.
  19. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Great job as always guys. The issues always leave me wanting more because they are excellent reads. I thought Phil and scofields battling strategy articles were especially well written. Maximizing chances at winning, although it's pretty obvious when you stop and think about it, is one of the most overlooked aspects of the game that I see on the ladder whenever I start on a fresh alt. Keep up the great work everyone!
  20. *Hen*

*Hen*
    is an Artist Alumnus

^_______^ Thanks!

Lol I submitted it to my art page on dA and apparently thoroughly creeped out the members there. XD

I figured you guys would *get* it. <3
  21. NightmareZ

NightmareZ

Both Pokémon make excellent leads, but by leading with Starmie, it is easier to prevent Forretress and Skarmory leads, which are becoming more popular, from setting up entry hazards.

I understand your reasoning however this doesnt say too much about momentum but no offense I was just curious.
  22. Sprinkles

Sprinkles

when do we find out who won the trivia? and good job on this issue
  23. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The list of the Smogon Premier league teams has an error: one team has all its players listed as assistant managers.

Good issue.
  24. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

shit issue wheres my article
  25. MegaKick

MegaKick

OK, I gotta admit, I read through phil's protips, and got to the bottom, and laughed at zerowings "tips". keepin the runnin gag from the last one going.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)