It Will Rain - RU Collab Challenge!

It's been six whole days and I haven't made one single RU rain guide contribution? I feel so... DIRTY! Oh well, here are two more. Both of Rotom-C, but they're different roles. First one right here-

Electric / Grass

HP: 50 / Atk: 60 / Def: 107 / SpA: 105 / SpD: 107 / Spe: 86

Rotom-Mow @ Damp Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rain Dance

Classification: Rain Summoner

Description: Rotom-C provides a unique kind of support. It doesn't have Cresselia's insane bulk. It doesn't have Prankster like Volbeat. It doesn't have U-Turn or Rocks like Uxie. So what advantages does it have? The big advantages are its excellent typing and its attacking prowess. Since Rotom is Grass/Electric, it will have great synergy with most Rain Teams, as it resists Grass and Electric, two of the biggest issues for Water Types. It also circumvents its Fire Weakness with the Rain Dance, as this is its biggest weakness with things like Entei and Moltres running around. This typing is also good offensively, as it gets coverage on threats like Moltres, Poliwrath and Lanturn. Its STABs are also fantastic, as Volt Switch / Leaf Storm handle a large amount of the metagame.

Another good incentive to use Rotom over most rain summoners is his attacking prowess. Most summoners have horrible attacking punch, like Cresselia and Uxie and Volbeat. When you see these guys staring you down, you just laugh. You don't laugh at Rotom. Look at that base 105 attack stat, backed up with max SpA and a Modest Nature. STABed Leaf Storms are extremely powerful, hitting even some of the bulkiest pokes hard. Take a look at this-

252+ SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom: 268-316 (110.74 - 130.57%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That is serious damage. Volt Switch is Rotom's Electric STAB of Choice, doing damage and providing a safe switch to a sweeper. It also helps maintain the switch advantage in an offensive game. And for maximum trolling and weakening threatening physical sweepers, you have Will-O-Wisp.

Shortcomings: Even top-tier threats like Rotom have some hurdles to clear. Firstly, its coverage is not perfect, as an opposing Rotom-C laughs off any offense provided by this set, and it can either win the switching race with Volt Switch or smack us with HP Fire. Lilligant stomps on Rotom, putting it to sleep and setting up easily with Quiver Dance, not fearing either of our Rotom's STABs. Cresselia swats away Rotom-C like a pesky mosquito, watching it helplessly switch out as Cress recovers any lost HP. The worst matchup of all for Rotom-C would have to be Druddigon, however. Resisting both dual STABs, Druddigon can safely paralyze the switch-in with Glare, and take minimal damage from Volt Switch. And a paralyzed Rotom-C is not the most useful thing in the world.

However, these hurdles are not impossible. The first three threats (Rotom-C, Lilligant and Cresselia) are all crushed by Durant, as the metal ant outspeeds them all and hits them hard with SE X-Scissors. Durant is also good in Rain, as its only weakness (Fire) is made less painful by Rain. However, an even better partner may be Jynx, who handles Druddigon and the Grass types. So, those two combined can easily support Rotom, and they both benifit from Rain.

Other Options: Thunder Wave is an option over Will-O-Wisp, but a good Rain team should be quick, and not need para.

ss234

bop.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

HP: 50 / Atk: 60 / Def: 45 / SpA: 100 / SpD: 80 / Spe: 65

Classification: Threat to rain

Description: Thanks to the eviolite, Roselia is almost a full stop to many rain attackers. It can even take super-effective Ice Beam's with relative ease-for example, Timid Ludicolo Ice Beam does 46% max damage, so not a 2HKO unless Stealth Rock is on the field, and even then Roselia can simply abuse LO recoil, and Roselia easily 2HKO's back with Sludge Bomb. Thanks to Rest, it can't even be easily worn down like Ferroseed, as it can restore all of its health and then come back later in the match awake thanks to natural cure. Giga Drain gives it the ability to 1HKO Omastar, and since +2 Modest Ice Beam doesn't KO, Roselia can counter that as well. Other special attacking rain abusers, such as Seismitoad, are also easily handled by Roselia, as Hydro Pump, Seismitoad's most powerful attack against Roselia in the rain, does just 33% maximum.

Shortcomings: Thanks to its pitiful defence stat, Roselia falls to powerful physical hits quite easily. Strong physical attackers such as Escavalier are your best bet in dealing with Roselia. Escavalier can take any move that Roselia throws at it, and can 2HKO with Megahorn. LO Adamant Kabutops can also deal a huge amount of damage with Stone Edge-it is almost a guaranteed 1HKO after SR. Jynx is also a good idea to handle Roselia, as Ice Beam is a solid 2HKO. Volbeat is also quite a good choice, as you can Encore something like Rest and force Roselia out.

Other options: You can use Sleep Powder or Stun Spore or Toxic over any move on the set, however, this means that you either lose out on coverage or recovery or hazards. Synthesis can be used over Rest, but Rest is the one thing that Roselia needs to work against rain teams.

Also, I'm in for the challenge as Basculin 2 gud.

Roselia definitely poses a threat to rain teams, but Kabutops can beat it, and that is a mainstay on Rain Teams. Other than that, have a good time trying to beat it.

ss234

bop.
Stone Edge isn't a guarenteed 1HKO even with SR, which is why I didn't mention it too strongly(granted, there's only a 1% chance of it not 1HKOing, but still it's not guarenteed). Without SR, it is unlikely that it will KO, and not all rain teams are going to carry Stealth Rock(not all want to fit Uxie on there).

IT. IS. TIME.

Electric / Grass

HP: 50 / Atk: 60 / Def: 107 / SpA: 105 / SpD: 107 / Spe: 86

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Classification: Other Rain Abuser

Description: Sure, Rotom-C makes a great Rain summoner, as you saw in my last contribution. However, Rotom-C is also an excellent Choice Scarf user, as many know. It is even bettered by the Rain, due to Thunder's now 100% accuracy and it's now neutrality to fire. Leaf Storm is still it's most powerful move, and it gets good coverage in RU, hitting most threats like Nidoqueen or Kabutops. The SpA drops are not that bad, as Rotom-C is mostly hit-and-run. Thunder makes a solid secondary STAB, as it gains the crucial coverage on Moltres, one of the scariest threats in RU. Also, it works if Rotom will stay in for long periods of time, as it does not have the SpA drops of Leaf Storm. However, it becomes unreliable once rain wears out, as 70% is not too good. Volt Switch works very well for hit-and-run, as it also provides a 100% accurate STAB move when it is not raining. Trick is the last move, as it works for crippling walls like Roselia and Ferroseed, which otherwise wall rain teams to oblivion. Them holding Scarves certainly makes them much less scary.

Shortcomings: Rotom-C cannot touch many things, such as opposing Rotom-Cs, with it's dual STABs. In fact, all Grass types easily wall Rotom-C, as without HP Fire, it cannot do Squat. Druddigon is also an abysmal matchup, as a paralyzed Rotom-C is not something you want and Druddigon resists anything Rotom-C will throw at it. Special walls like Cresselia can successfully wall it, but none of them particularily enjoy a Trick.

Other Options: Thunderbolt is an option over Thunder, but it has less power and misses some KOs. Hidden Power Fire can hit Grass types, but that is generally a bad idea in Rain. Will-O-Wisp can also work, but then you'd have to ditch one of Rotom's key attacking options. So, stick to the above set.

Sorry for short post, but what else can you say about Scarf Rotom-C that hasn't already been said? Also, I just wrote about it not that long ago, so I kinda ran out of things to say.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a thought that popped in my mind, how viable is Rain Stall or Semi-Stall? Rain Offense is very popular, but what does everyone think of a defensive version, analogous to Rain Stall in OU.

Cresselia being the catalyst, in that she can learn Rain Dance, and has reliable recovery, although Moonlight only heals 25% in rain. :\ Her bulk allows her to constantly switch in and set up the rain. There is a number of other Pokemon that would fare well.

Rain Dish Ludicolo is one that sticks out, as with Leftovers it can heal quite a bit of HP each turn. Qwilfish is one that can set up (Toxic) Spikes, and absorb Toxic Spikes on entry! Poliwrath and Cresselia form a good defensive core, especially because Poliwrath can utilize both Swift Swim and Water Absorb, depending the nature of the team.

What do you guys think? Viable? Or is it just too offensive to work?

Hmmm... you might have an idea there, Yonko. I was thinking that a Swift Swim SubSeed Ludicolo could also be a very powerful staller, alongside Qwilfish's Toxic Spikes. Cress could also make a good staller, as you said, as well as a rain summoner, although the moonlight thing kinda sucks :P it could still work.

So yeah, Toxic stall with Toxic Spikes could be viable, alongside fast SubSeeders (Whimsicott and Ludicolo) as well as walls like Cress. Good idea, Yonko7!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I strongly discourage pulling any sort of stalling in the Rain. To put it bluntly, it's counter-productive, since you're literally stalling out the precious 8 turns of Rain. You're essentially doing the opponent's job x_x

Thank you, guys, for keeping this thread alive while I was MIA from Hurricane Sandy playing catch-up for the rest of the week(end)! Here's the deal:

~ All the set entries added with revisions! Major props to Silvershadow234 and especially Phazon00 for pumping them out - it has been a HUGE help!

~ Yonko7 earns the Best Discussion of the week again! Thanks for keeping this thread alive afloat while I was away :) Thanks to Phazon00 for partaking in these discussions, too!

~ Since no body cleared the 2nd Ladder Challenge, the next ladder challenge will be the same exact challenge (take 2). Again, you have 2 weeks to complete this challenge. I've kept the alts that were untouched on the registration list. Please re-register if you don't see your name there!

--------------------------------------------------------

Back to the discussion. Have anyone tried out Beartic as part of their Rain Offense? /B/utterfree has provided us with a set entry, but I'm not sure if it's really worth a team slot. It's hideously slow, its main flaw; slower than Gorebyss ffs x_x.

However there are redeeming qualities for Beartic. Ice STAB is amazing for removing Grass-types and Druddigon. It also has Night Slash and Superpower for Slowking and Ferroseed, too! It would be nice if you guys can give Swift Swim Beartic a spin ;) I'll certainly give it a try.

If a sun team met a rain team, what would happen? My money would definitely be on sun, as A) Grass beats Water and B) Water is dampened by the sun. I think it would be a bit of a "support war" with both sides furiously trying to set up their weater for their SwSw / Chloro sweepers.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Fire / Flying

HP: 90 / Atk: 100 / Def: 90 / SpA: 125 / SpD: 85 / Spe: 90

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Hidden Power Grass

Classification: Other Rain Abuser

Description: This is a very interesting take on Moltres, as one would think it would perform poorly in rain, but when one looks more deeply, Moltres performs similar to Volcarona in OU. Many times the accuracy of Hurricane spells doom for Moltres, so in rain Hurricane has perfect accuracy. This set is offensive in nature, due to its power and ability to hit rain switch-ins hard. Rain Dance teams have a lot of trouble with Grass-, and bulky Water-types. Moltres can easily handle Grass-types, as long as it avoids Sleep Powder, and dismantle them with Hurricane or Fire Blast. Bulky Water-types don't appreciate coming in on a 100% accurate Hurricane or Hidden Power Grass. A massive base 125 Special Attack means that Hurricane and Fire Blast will hit hard, no matter what they hit. A 4x resistance to Grass-type attacks means that Moltres can almost switch without worry, and roast the opposition. Roost it available to heal Moltres mid-game, when it needs some health that was invariably drained by Life Orb.

A typical way to play Moltres is to send it in on a predicated Grass-type attack, which will invariably be aimed at Swift Swim sweepers. From there, Moltres can attack or heal. Moltres's modest 90 / 90 / 85 bulk will serve greatly to take some repeated hits, and still be a problem. Fire Blast is an alternate STAB that will be mostly used outside of Rain.

Shortcomings: Moltres is very vulnerable to Stealth Rock, so having them gone is an absolute. The most common way is to have a Rapid Spin user, such as Kabutops or Armaldo, two predominate Swift Swimmers that can use Rapid Spin. Kabutops is great to hit hard with a Swords Dance boost, priority in Aqua Jet, or just be a general assist in any regard; Armaldo performs in a similar fashion to Kabutops, except lacks priority but has a Bug-type STAB. Also, Moltres's weakness are Water-type attacks, and in rain they are amplified, which makes it easier for the opponent to get rid of Moltres. The best way to deal with this is to have a partner that can switch into Water-type attacks. Ludicolo has a 4x resistance to Water-type attacks, and has its power amplified by rain. Ludicolo is a monster in rain, able to tear everything apart with its great coverage and power. Seismitoad can come in on Electric- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Moltres, and set can proceed to set up Stealth Rock or hit hard with a boosted Hydro Pump.

Other Options: Leftovers is an option over Life Orb, as a more defensive version, as Life Orb Moltres does wear down quickly. If using Leftovers, then Substitute can be a replacement for Hidden Power Grass to make life even harder for the enemy.

Having just picked up RU for the first time since Stage 7, I was really interested to see how rain would handle this version, and I have been impressed. Except the time I faced a Sun team. To be fair, the guy seemed to have Sunny Day on all his pokes, but the way Eggy could come in on my Seismitoad was really disheartening. It didn't help at all that I missed a chance to set up SR, which would have turned it around, but the offensive pressure was just a bit too much. Not to mention the fact that my Steel types that were such stalwarts (Esca, Eviolite Magneton) were dead weight against a Zard that can make his own Sun. That really is the key flaw for Rain in a weather war. The support pokemon for Rain are steels who get owned by Fire types, whereas the Dragons and Grasses that Sun loves dgaf about Water's best moves. I still feel Rain is better against the meta with Kabutops, Esca and Electrics, but Sun gives it fits.

Well, we've had our fun with Swift Swimmers. We've seen some scary things. Poliwrath is tough. Omastar is a beast. Kabutops is just plain crazy. But, we haven't met the REAL king. The one that makes rain teams such powerhouses. ONE POKE. To rule them all.
Water / Grass

HP: 80 / Atk: 70 / Def: 70 / SpA: 90 / SpD: 100 / Spe: 70

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Classification: Swift Swim Sweeper

Description: When you think of "Rain Sweeper" Ludicolo jumps to mind immediately. This thing is literally the most powerful special swift swim sweeper in RU. The power of a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump is a force that rocks teams, crushes them, smashes them and then leaves them there to be drenched by the rain. Seriously, this thing is a monster. Surf is an option if you think miss chances are bad, Surf is an option, but it only rocks and crushes, instead of Hydro Pump's rocking, crushing and smashing (That's Phazon terms for it does less damage). Ice Beam gets some sweet coverage, smacking the Grass Types that resist Hydro Pump for some nice damage, even though bulkier Grass pokes like Roselia can live the unSTAB Ice Beam. However, these two moves fail to grab the Water coverage. Well, Giga Drain has you covered, as it smacks them Seismitoeds and Kabutops for SE damage, along with Lanturn.

Lanturn and Uxie are great Rain Summoners to pair with Ludicolo, as both have crazy bulk and can get off a fairly slow U-Turn/Volt Switch for a safe switch into the pineapple. Also, Lanturn can take any Electric attack aimed at Ludicolo, and can once again Volt Switch back to keep the momentum.

Ludicolo is in an awkward speed tier, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier with the Swift Swim boost, but being on the slow side out of Rain. Then again, Ludicolo should only be used in Rain, so its speed out of rain is less crucial than its speed in Rain, which is godly. However, it is underneath Kabutops, another terrifying Swift Swim Sweeper. So, definitely stay away from Tops if attempting a clean sweep. Also, Scarf Galvantula can outspeed even in Rain, even though that is a fairly uncommon set, be on the lookout for it. Thankfully, Qwilfish and Kabutops cleanly outspeed ScarfVantula, meaning they can take it down no problem. Also, Entei's Extremespeed can hurt, but this will never OHKO, and it is resisted by Kabutops. And finally, as noted in my very first contribution, Fake Out Unburden Hitmonlee can outspeed Ludicolo after the Fake Out, and can slam it with a Hi Jump Kick.

Shortcomings: One of the best parts about Ludicolo is its very low amount of shortcomings, assuming it is in the rain. However, the shortcomings are there. As I mentioned already, Kabutops is a problem, as a faster Swift Swimmer with the power of Kabutops will annihilate Ludicolo. Also, Ferroseed and Roselia can tank a hit from Ludicolo no problem, and paralyze it (In Ferro's case) or kill it outright (In Roselia's case). Also, the Great Wall Cresselia can easily take a hit and fire off a T-Wave to cripple Ludicolo forever. Also, specially defensive things such as Cryogonal or Clefable or even Munchlax can cause an issue, as all of them can usually take a hit.

Partners that aid Ludicolo in taking these out include Kabutops and Qwilfish, with Qwilfish getting off fast taunts and Kabutops just plain dismantling anything that isn't Ferroseed. Hell, an unboosted Stone Edge from Kabutops OHKOes Roselia after SR. You can even give Tops Superpower, in an attempt to stop Ferroseed from walling it. Also, Magneton can handle the aforementioned Ferroseed easily, and can even set up Subs and Charge Beams if it is that particular set. This permits Magneton to cause damage from behind its Substitute with boosted SpA. Escavalier can also slam things with CB Megahorns, as none of the defensive threats listed above enjoy taking a Banded Megahorn.

Other Options: Do not touch the beautiful set above. Screwing with the set is the last thing you want to do, as Ludicolo does not need coverage or any other move. The only option is Focus Blast, but Hydro Pump is more powerful on neutral hits and Focus Miss can be infuriating. So, I recommend against it, unless you desperately need coverage on Ferroseed and Clefable out of Rain. But, then again, Escavalier and Kabutops w/ Superpower can crush both of these without too many problems. Rain Dance is an option, but in the turn it takes Ludicolo to set up, there is a risk of being swiftly eliminated. You can use this, but it is a risk. Also, you lose your 100% accurate water STAB, meaning you have to rely on Hydro Pump's low hit percentage. And the final other option is Timid over Modest, but the power drop can sometimes be unacceptable.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast is another option to hit Ferroseed and Clefable.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Having just picked up RU for the first time since Stage 7, I was really interested to see how rain would handle this version, and I have been impressed. Except the time I faced a Sun team. To be fair, the guy seemed to have Sunny Day on all his pokes, but the way Eggy could come in on my Seismitoad was really disheartening. It didn't help at all that I missed a chance to set up SR, which would have turned it around, but the offensive pressure was just a bit too much. Not to mention the fact that my Steel types that were such stalwarts (Esca, Eviolite Magneton) were dead weight against a Zard that can make his own Sun. That really is the key flaw for Rain in a weather war. The support pokemon for Rain are steels who get owned by Fire types, whereas the Dragons and Grasses that Sun loves dgaf about Water's best moves. I still feel Rain is better against the meta with Kabutops, Esca and Electrics, but Sun gives it fits.
Buckles, nice to join us! I've faced a Rain team while using a Sun team, and I must say it's fair game for either side. The one with a Prankster Summoner definitely has the advantage here. These Prankster users are essentially the Ninetales and Politoed of RU. I was foolish enough to let a 1% Volbeat alive and the opponent's damn Cresselia restored it with Lunar Dance and screwed me over big time x_x It didn't help that for some reason the opponent's Volbeat had invested in Speed and was beating my Sun Whimsicott to the punch 0_o

I think when everything is equal, Sun teams usually get the short end of the stick, since their moves are more reliant on weather than the more versatile Rain abusers. For example, Fire and Grass-types rely on SolarBeam as their coverage move, which is severely neutered in Rain. Arguably, Sun abusers are also much weaker to entry hazards, and they tend to lose the war of weather attrition more often than not.

As far as your own personal experience, Seismitoad can always use Sludge Wave to kill off Exeggutor and other Grass-types, which I highly recommend, since the last thing you want is becoming a free opportunity for Unburden Sceptile and QD Lilligant's rampage.

I've seen the light, and it has a pineapple on it's head. Phazon is totally right about Ludicolo. An incredible sweeper and summoner all wrapped up in one. Hits wacky hard with Hydro Pump (2HKOing Cryo and junk) and can take hits remarkably well. It has been the most valuable poke on my team in almost every match I've won. I also swapped out my Steel killer Magneton for a Nidoqueen and surprisingly, she loves the rain. It lets her use Thunder over Thunderbolt for huge damage, her Fire Blast still wrecks weakened Ferroseed and Escavalier and she can now stay in against Entei without worrying about getting CB Blitzed.

I've also been trying out a new summoner: Liepard. It has Prankster, access to Encore, Taunt and U-Turn and a higher uninvested speed than both Volbeat and Whimsicott. With max physical bulk, she only takes ~28% from random Uxie U-Turns and she can both punish set-ups and prevent SR and status. Creates some neat mind games, and is a natural suicide Dancer. I've had some success with her so far, anyone else?

Pocket

Damn straight! Nidoqueen is a boss in Rain - nothing lures and destroys Slowking better than her. Fire Blast is certainly an option for Escavalier, but I personally prefer Focus Blast to also hit Cryogonal and Clefable, both which can be nuisance to special Rain sweepers. You still hit Ferroseed for super-effective damage, so it's all good!

I also wholeheartedly agree that nothing sweeps as good as Ludicolo in the rain. Although, just like /B/utterfree's offensive Seismitoad's set entry, I suggest foregoing Rain Dance for Surf, a great insurance when you need to sweep the opponent without being ruined by Hydro Miss. As Yonko7 mentioned earlier Focus Blast is certainly an option to hit Ferroseed, but Hydro Pump hits Munchlax harder in the rain. So bottom line: I'd drop Rain Dance to Other Options, give Surf Rain Dance's moveslot, and also add Focus Blast to OO.

Wow, never thought of using Liepard, actually! Liepard is slower than Whimsicott, but it's certainly faster than Volbeat :d. Volbeat does have Substitute / Tail Glow Baton Pass going for it, but Liepard's Taunt is a HUGE asset. Liepard also has U-turn to provide the best switch opportunity for our Rain sweeper, so it really is well-fitted for a Rain Summoner! Nice find, Buckles :D I will be trying him out ;)

I've tried out Yonko7's Moltres (with LO and HP Grass), and it has been promising. Similarly to Nidoqueen, it lures in Slowking like honey drawing in bees. However, Moltres also attracts Lanturn, which is nice to slam it with a LO HP Grass. It's also nice to exploit predictable Qwilfish / Poliwrath switch-in to my Kabutops, allowing Moltres to do some serious damage with this free switch-in. I am liking what I'm seeing, so I'll keep on playtesting more! But yea, I prefer HP Grass & LO atm, just b/c it allows Moltres to beat down on these Rain counters more efficiently.

If a sun team met a rain team, what would happen? My money would definitely be on sun, as A) Grass beats Water and B) Water is dampened by the sun. I think it would be a bit of a "support war" with both sides furiously trying to set up their weater for their SwSw / Chloro sweepers.
I've witnessed some of these, it basically just comes down to who can keep their priority supporters (volbeat for rain, whimsicott for sun) alive the longest, as whoever has their weather up has a massive advantage.
So yea, it's the supporters battling it out until one runs out of PP or something lol (whimsicott does great at winning these if it has taunt though).

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
The addition of the Suspects, namely Cresselia, the metagame slowed down.

This switch makes it easier for Rain Dance team to setup rain, but doesn't help when trying to break through the opponent. Previously, once rain was up, you could go to town and do as much damage before rain dies down, but now the metagame has the tools, or rather discovering, the means to slow rain teams down.

Offensive synergy is one of the best aspects that rain teams need, so it can surgically pick apart the opposing team.

A prime example would be Kabutops and Jynx.

Kabutops has a hard time with bulky Grass- and Water-types, such as Tangrowth and Poliwrath, whereas Jynx has a hard time with Steel and priority, such as Escavalier and Entei's ExtremeSpeed. If Kabutops has a chance to weaken the opposing defensive core, such as the Poliwrath and Cresselia core with a +2 Waterfall / Stone Edge, Jynx can come in and Lovely Kiss, Substitute, Nasty Plot, or just attack, while having a net gain of health from rain.

{not the best example, but it's late :P}

Pocket

Yea, Cresselia is certainly one tough duck to take out for rain teams. Thankfully, Rain neuters Cresselia's Moonlight, so it can't wall the team forever (unless it has Sunny Day). However it certainly cannot easily switch safely into Kabutops' LO Waterfall or even worse Ludicolo's Hydro Pump, so it's a Rain check at best. Slowking basically does a good job checking rain than Cresselia. If Omastar gets a Shell Smash in the rain, then forget it (might be cool to try Lum Berrry on it to remove paralysis)!

If you do find yourself having trouble against Cresselia, SubDD Crawdaunt is certainly an interesting choice for rain; it can set up Substitute to block T-Wave, set up DD, and start wrecking everything in the downpour! Rain-powered Adaptability Waterfall and super-effective Adaptability Crunch FTW!~

Normal

HP: 55 / Atk: 20 / Def: 35 / SpA: 20 / SpD: 45 / Spe: 75

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Spore
- Magic Coat
- Whirlwind

Classification: Other Useful Supporter

Description: How can you make a supporters list without Smeargle? Smeargle pretty much pretty much fit any supporting role you put it in, with it being hazard support, baton pass, trick room, weather or encore. This one listed above is a fairly standard Sashed Spiker which can support basically any kind of team effectively. Rain Teams also very much like these hazards as some 2HKOs from Swift Swimmers into OHKOs. Obviously, Spikes is the key move on this set, as Smeargle makes an excellent hazard setter, helping wear down opposing walls for your sweepers. However, Smeargle's real ace is Spore, a 100% accurate sleeping move that will, guaranteed, cripple one of the opponent's Pokémon in conjunction with the Focus Sash. After using Spore, you will guarenteed set up one layer of Spikes on the switch, and if you are faster than their switchin, two layers. These layer(s) help big-time for a team built on fast sweepers, and this describes RU rain perfectly. Also, if you can perserve your Smeargle or choose not to lead with it, you can also use Magic Coat to bounce back hazards or status effects, which can come big into play in the long-term. And if setting up isn't enough, Whirlwind can be used to rack up the hazard damage or to disrupt the dumbest of set-up sweepers.

Shortcomings: Smeargle, unfortunately, has quite a few downfalls. Magmortar and Primeape completely make the set useless with their Vital Spirit ability, as well as faster Sub users who can block the Spore, giving them a free attack to bring Smeargle to the sash. Also, priority is a problem, as this prevents Smeargle from setting up beyond one layer. Also, Smeargle has absolutely zero offensive pressure, making it impossible to inflict direct damage.

These issues, however, are far outweighed by the pros, and Smeargle can use powerful offensive teammates (Kabutops and Ludicolo) to break through walls. And since you will have water types, priority Aqua Jet shouldn't be a problem, as a switch to Ludicolo is just too simple. And since Smeargle packs Whirlwind, the Substitutes shouldn't be too bad as long as Smeargle has the Sash intact.

Other Options: Stealth Rocks could be used over Magic Coat, but since there are many, many Stealth Rockers and bouncing back hazards/statuses is very useful I would recommend Magic Coat. Explosion could be used to be able to inflict damage, but this is generally a poor option.

HP: 125 / Atk: 58 / Def: 58 / SpA: 76 / SpD: 76 / Spe: 67

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Heal Bell
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Classification: Threat to Rain

Description: Rain teams have few obstacles, but bulky pokes that resist water is definitely up there. Of these, there are several. Roselia and Ferroseed have already been mentioned by SilverShadow, but one poke has been left unnoticed. That shall end right this moment.

Lanturn is one of the best SpD tanks in RU, already making it a threat to many teams. However, the typing that resists Water really makes it a big threat for Rain teams to overcome, among its other qualities. Scald and Volt Switch are it's key moves, with Scald having the chance to cripple physical sweepers (Like Kabutops or Floatzel) as well as having that rain boost, and Volt Switch maintains the momentum and ensures safe switches. Since most pokes on Rain teams will be Water-type, Electric STAB is a big help, and the safe switches can come into play big-time against the powerful Rain-boosted moves. Ice Beam gets better coverage on Grass types like Tangrowth or Roselia, which wall Lanturn's dual STAB. However, these are not too common on Rain teams, so Heal Bell would be an alternative to assume a more supportive role, as well as making Lanturn a solid cleric. And the final move is Thunder Wave, which has been crippling sweepers since 1998.

Shortcomings: 75 base SpA isn't bad, but it isn't great, and Lanturn lacks the powerful offensive pressure of so many other RU pokes. Also, if Heal Bell is chosen over Ice Beam, the dual STAB is walled by Dragon and Grass, creating far too many easy switches. Thankfully, Dragons in RU are all physical, and do not appreciate Scald burns. Also, even though resisting Water is great against Rain, the two most prominent Rain pokes, Ludicolo and Kabutops, beat it with their secondary STAB. And one more, final shortcoming is Lanturn's abysmal speed, meaning even the slowest of pokes can outspeed the fish.

Other Options: Hydro Pump takes a more offensive route than Scald, but burn chances are always nice. Thunderbolt can replace Ice Beam or Thunder Wave, but Volt Switch is generally more useful with it's momentum-grabbing. Overall, sticking to the above five options works out fine, as long as you choose between Ice beam and Heal Bell.

Also, has anyone noticed that my contributions have been getting shorter and shorter for some reason?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)