1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

ITALIAN Style VoltTurn Team!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Giacomo, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Giacomo

Giacomo

"ITALIANSTYLEVoltTurn TEAM!"

Hello and welcome to my first RMT post =)

I'm sorry if there are some English mistakes, i'm italian and English isn't my first language.

Ok, we can start. I'm playing pokemon online from some months, this is the team i've done, with this i'm playing on Showdown, but i still haven't done any good score or something like that =)
    I'm now posting this RMT to receive suggestions from you all, to make my team more competitive and better balanced =)

Team Building Process

My first idea was to make a new Volt-Turn team, built around Victini
    [​IMG]
    I started with my Victini. It's damnit underrated, and i can't understand why he finds himself into the UU tier. He's got a good movepool, V-Create, balanced stats, with a Choice Scarf having this little boy against is not so sweet!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The real problem of Victini are his weaknesses, he's week principaly to rock and ground, so the next pokemon was of course Landorus-T, who can wall Gliscors, Terrakions etc... The defensive set was the best, it even had access to U-Turn, and as i said, my team is principally based on Volt Turn =)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Ok, next step was to find other pokemons who could take damage of ALL Victini's weaknesses, and could even Volt-Turn nicely as i wanted. It wasn't hard to find these, i used Scizor, to resist at Ghost and Dark attacks, and his friend Rotom-W, who can wall water pokemons with no difficoulty, and can even hit them nicely. Scizor and Rotom-W has always been the best Volt-Turn core, as they can wall each others weaknesses. Rotom-W would have been Scarfed, as Victini, to revenge kill or just pass the Scarf with Trick around the opponent's team. Scizor, as usual is Banded.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The next was of course Magnezone. I love this pokemon, as he can trap other Steel types and kill them with Hp fire. My team really needed Magnezone, because i had no pokemons that could counter Ferrothorn if Victini was out, and it even helped the Volt-Turning core of the team. Althought, i'm still not sure if leftovers are good for him. Maybe Choice Specs were better here, but with them i'd have too much offensive pokemons, and I need Magnezone to survive in order to defend Victini from Gengars etc...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The last member was Latias. Latias has always been one of my favourites pokemon, and she was the only one who could set up with CM and sweep at the end of the match with no difficoulty. She even has access to Levitate, wich makes her another good wall against Ground pokemons wich scare my Victini and my Magnezone.

Looking to each Pokemon

V-Create (Victini)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    V-Create (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - V-create
    - U-turn
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Bolt Strike
    Here is the first member of my Team. As you can see from the moveset he is Scarfed, and Scarf allows him to spam a fucking strong STAB V-Create and punch holes throught the opponent's team, or just scout with U-Turn. Zen Headbutt is my second STAB option, against Breloom or offensive Fighting types, such as SD Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and Toxycroak, Fusion Bolt is for coverage, it can hit very hard Vaporeons and Jellycents, Tentacrueld and even Keldeo, if he isn't Scarfed. I really like this guy, and i can't understand why he's UU... He can play with no doubt in the OU tier thanks to his 100 balanced stats. I put a scarf onto him, because major threats have got more than 100 base speed (Latias, Terrakion, Starmie etc...), even thought i should try to give him a Choice Band once... Oh, his weaknesses maybe makes him overlooked by many players, but in this team I can protect him by all of them.

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Ground: Latias, Rotom-W, Landorus-T.
    Ghost: Magnezone, Scizor.
    Dark: Magnezone, Scizor.
    Water: Rotom-W, Latias
    Rock: Magnezone

New Gliscor (Landorus-T)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    New Gliscor (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    Next is Landorus-T. As his nickname says, he's the NEW Gliscor. His stats maybe make you think of a offensive pokemon (145 Base Atk is OP) but using him as a difensive pokemon is nice too. His EV Spread can be discussed. Some people use him with some Atk EVs, some others don't... IDK, i love this set, but if you have any suggestion for the Spread, please post it =)

His moveset is really nice, he can set up SR, sweep with a STAB EQ, scout with U-Turn, and provide coverage with HP [Ice]. Hp ice is the only move that i may change, but it's very good against Dragonites, Flygon, and GLISCOR, that i fucking hate... Leftovers was necessary, because it is defensive, and that's it for my mate Landorus =)

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Ice: Victini, Magnezone, Scizor, Rotom-W
    Water: Rotom-W, Latias

punch punch punch (Scizor)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    punch punch punch (Scizor) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    lol. Should i present you this Scizor's set? This is just the most common and powerful set of Scizor, with CB. He provides me a good STAB U-Turn, he's able to Pursuit-trap Latios and Latias, his Bullet Punch scares everything, and Superpower is for coverage. What's great about him is his ability Technician, but you all know about this punching red thing...

Scizor helps Victini out very much, he can resist to Dark and Ghost attacks, and helps out even Landorus-T, walling his weakness to Ice types. Scizor with Rotom-W is just PERFECT, these two guys in a Volt-Turn team are necessary, as they provide two good STAB moves. As I said in the Team Building Process, Rotom-W and Scizor together are the strongest core of my team.

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Fire: Latias, Rotom-W, Victini

OHKO (Rotom-W)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    OHKO (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 168 SDef / 92 Def
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Rest
    - Thunder Wave
    This is my Rotom-W, it's quite classic using him with a Choice Scarf and Trick. Rotom-W is necessary to my team, as it can wall bulky water types (ex. Keldeo) and sweep them with Volt Switch. Hidden Power [Fire] helps against Scizors, Magnezones, and all the steel types that nowadays are SOOO common... Hydro Pump is his best STAB move, i can OHKO nearly everything with that fucking move, it is so important keeping alive this Rotom-W against sandstorm teams, because he can kill Tyranitar easily, he can sweep Terrakion and hit very hardly Landorus and Landorus-T. Let's say the most awesome think of Rotom-W is his awesome typing... Electric-Water is fucking good, he's only weak to Grass types, who aren't that common (except Breloom and Venosaur), and Levitate makes him immune to Ground type attacks... Just awesome. Trick is for when i get bored with my Choice Scarf, or for when i lock a defensive pokemon or a set up pokemon (Vaporeon, Dragonite with DD, Blissey etc...). I changed the Choice Scarf set to a Specially Defensive-Chesto Rest one, as suggested by Mosquiton, dragonuser and Trinitrotoluene. As they said i didn't have any good wall to resist to a Specs Tornadus-T

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Grass: Scizor, Magnezone, Latias, Victini

he <3s scizors (Magnezone)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

he <3s scizor (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Flash Cannon
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    Here is the 5th member of the VoltTurn team. He's Magnezone, and as his nickname says, he loves Scizor. This is because he can trap scizor with his Ability Magnet Pull, and badly hurt him with HP fire. He can do this even to Forretress, Ferrothorn, Jirachi etc... all very common threats in OU. I'm still not sure about his moveset, the EV spread is just classic for him, but what about changing Substitute to Thunderbolt? I know it's nice to hit with Volt Switch and get a switch to another Pokemon, but it sometimes makes me angry, because I occasionaly need him to stay in, for exemple against Vaporeon or SpD Politoed, who don't get killed by only one normal STAB Volt Switch... With Thunderbolt i can stay in fight and sweep nicely, but i need Substitute, to predict a Will-O-Wisp or a Sleep Powder (from Breloom) or to predict a switch. This is the only thing i was not sure about. Anyway, Flash Cannon is a good STAB and provides coverage against Rock Attacks (like Terrakion) that can sweep all around my team, Hp Fire kills loked Steel types and stop. Oh, yea, i'm even not sure wether keep leftovers onto him or go
    with specs (changing Sub to Thunderbolt or Thunder). Please give me suggestions, i really need them, because i'm not that good at building teams =)
    I changed Substitute to Thunderbolt and gave Magnezone Choice Specs on leftovers, as suggested by Trinitrotoluene

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Fire: Latias, Rotom-W, Victini.
    Ground: Latias, Rotom-W, Landorus-T
    Fighting: Victini, Latias

Unpredictable (Latias)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Unpredictable (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    The final member of the team. Latias is very good on this team. First, she's the only sweeper that can set up with CM and Sub, he can wall many pokemons, and she's so unpredictable... 252HP/4Satk/252Spd, Leftovers, and Timid nature, allow Latias to resist many threats, and to set up nicely behind his nice Substitute. The moveset is quite straightforward, like her strategy, Substitute, Calm Mind 2 or 3 times, and sweep with a STAB Dragon Pulse. The best thing is that Latias has access to Recover, wich allows her to even stall the opponents. Nothing more to say about this =)

Syenergy
    Show Hide
    Bug: Magnezone, Scizor, Victini
    Dark: Magnezone, Scizor
    Dragon: Magnezone, Scizor
    Ghost: Magnezone, Scizor
    Ice: Magnezone, Scizor, Victini, Rotom-W

Threat List

1) SR: I haven't got any Spinner, if I'm against a stall team wich sets up SR, and all of those things, it might probably be a gg from the start...
    2) Terrakion: this guy, especially if Scarfed, can easily sweep my entire team, apart from Magnezone.
    3) Sandstorm Teams: yes, they might be a problem, especially if Rotom-W and Landorus-T are out.

Importable (Please, keep the Nicknames if you're using this team)
    Show Hide
    V-Create (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - V-create
    - U-turn
    - Bolt Strike
    - Zen Headbutt

Unpredictable (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Substitute
    - Roost

OHKO (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 248 HP / 168 SDef / 92 Def
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Rest
    - Thunder Wave

punch punch punch (Scizor) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

New Gliscor (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

he <3 scizors (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 Spd / 36 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Flash Cannon
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

I'd like to thank all of you for reading my first RMT, i again say sorry about my English, it's not my first language =)

Leave a Luvdisc if you liked it, and feel free to suggest anything you want =)
  2. Mosquiton

Mosquiton Tette

Hi there! the first thing i noticed is that your Victini is really affected by stealth rock, indeed you dont have any spinner to prevent stealth rock or a magic bouncer, and since its a volturn team taking 25% of damage every turn is somewhat problematic, its also your scarfed pokemon, which i think its not the best idea, because it cant for example Revenge kill Dragons like Dragonite or pokemon under rain, like Thundurus or Tornadus. Tornadus is also threatening, truely you can revenge kill it with Rotom-w, but since its gonna take a lot of damage by hurricane, with some smart play they can eliminate it and at that point you are weak to it. Also, bulky pokemon with scald or toxic like Politoed and tentacruel can be problematic, since nothing on your team can risk a toxic or a scald.

To affievolite this i would suggest you two easy fix: first, put Specially defensive rotom-w instead of your current one, in this way you can take less damage from hurricane, as well as taking less damage from other water moves, also with a chesto berry you fix somewhat your problem against scald and toxic. Instead of your victini, which is not that effective here, i would put a terrakion. Terrakion has more speed to revenge kill Salamence, Thundurus Garchomp and others fast threat that victini could not outspeed, its also good since it resists stealth rocks.

I would also say that you can run stone edge instead of hp ice on landorus, because with relaxed nature you will be very slow, a lot of thing can outspeed you like Bulky celebi, Jirachi, tentacruel, for this reason i would also say to put 108 evs in speed.
    Also the set of your magnezone should be changede to a specs one. Int his way you can do more damage to sp def rachi, so that you can sweep with Latias. Having sub+volt switch is not a good idea at all, because if you do volt switch you will lose the sub.

Set:
    Show Hide
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 228 HP / 28 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - X-Scissor
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
  3. Giacomo

Giacomo

Hey thanks for your rate mosquiton, I'll try your changes tomorrow =)
  4. ShootingStarmie

ShootingStarmie
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

Hey Giacomo, nice team you have here. You rated my team so its only fair I rate yours :)

Now, onto the rate. I actually think this is a pretty solid team, and so far I can't really see any faults. However, the way I'd wear this team down is by using Toxic o Heatran, as nothing likes being status'd on your team in general. What I'm saying is is that I think you're weak to status moves, but there's a very easy way to fix this problem while keeping the really good synergy that your team has.

Here's my suggestion. Replace Latias for Celebi. This will allow you to run Heal Bell on Celebi, keeping your team nice and healthy, while still keeping the great synergy. Latias was mainly used to take on other Volt-Turn teams (so it seems), and Lando-T already helps loads with that. Celebi also deals with Rain teams very (much like your Latias did as well.)
    Show Hide

Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 200 Spd / 56 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Baton Pass / U-turn
    - Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
    - Heal Bell / Thunder Wave / Rarth Power / HP Ground
    - Recover

The reason I think Baton Passs is the better choice on Celebi is because it wasn't hitting very hard with U-turn anyway (read: Modest nature), and Baton Pass allows you to escape from Tyranitar and Scizor without being trapped by Pursuit (unlike U-turn). The second move depends on weather you want a a more defensive approach to the Celebi, or a more offensive one. I sugest going offensive for this kind of team. The third move slot it for coverage, and what threat you'd like to cover most. Heal Bell makes your team less prone to hax (from Scald burns and Body Slam para's), and keeps th team healthy. Thunder Wave hits common switch in's, like Tornadus-T, Latios, and Scizor. Earth Power is for Heatran, and HP fire is for Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Recover is to keep nice and healthy.

Luvdisc.
  5. Giacomo

Giacomo

Thank you Shootin for your rate =) I'll try Celebi out
  6. dragonuser

dragonuser The only thing I look up to is the sky
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey there,

This is a pretty cool VoltTurn team, but I do see a slight weakness to Rain teams. Tornadus-T looks pretty threatening to face as you really lack a reliable Hurricane switch in (Rotom-W is very easily worn down and Magnezone does not like Superpower). While your team does limit its opportunities to come in, if it manages to come in on something like Landorus-T, you will be taking heavy damage. For this reason I would recommend making Rotom-W Specially Defensive. Rotom-W is a pretty sub par scarfer atm, but is a fantastic special tank. Scarf Victini will also end up doing most of the revenging for your team anyways.
    Rotom-W set (open)

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Pain Split
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp

So between Landorus-T and Rotom-W your team has a lot more bulk and can tank more hits while VoltTurning. You mentioned Scarf Terrakion as a major threat, but I think that with smart playing of Landorus-T/Latias it shouldn't be a huge problem. I also have some minor moveset changes that I think would benefit you. Firstly, I would run Bolt Strike on Victini. Victini recently got Bolt Strike and it is a generally superior option to Fusion Bolt. I would also use Thunderbolt > Volt Switch on Magnezone. While having another Volt Switcher is nice, it makes Magnezone rather weak and wastes the possible benefit of Substitute. Having Thunderbolt gives Magnezone more power, and lets it sweep better from behind a Substitute. Anyways, cool team gl.
  7. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene kiss kiss bang bang
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Alright. I think that you should go with dragonuser's suggestion of Specially Defensive ChestoResto Rotom-W over your current Rotom-W. Scarf Rotom-W is cool and all, but Specs Tornadus-T just wrecks your team since you lack the proper defenses to take it on. Also, as dragonuser says, this gives your team much more bulk than it had previously. Now, I think that you should try out a Specs Magnezone over your current set, to more forcibly eradicate Ferrothorn and other steels that can wall your team ad infinitum. Alternatively, you could go with Sub Magnezone, but if you do so, you should use Thunderbolt over Volt Switch. This alternate recommendation gives your Magnezone some more power behind a sub without forcing it out. Also, from looking at your threat list, your only problem after making these changes happens to be Stealth Rock. This is a minor suggestion, but I'd recommend trying out offensive Starmie over your Latias. Starmie brings Spin support to your team as well as a powerful wallbreaker and means of getting rid of all variants of Keldeo, which really does trouble your team. Finally, I'd recommend using a Bolt Strike over Fusion Bolt on Victini, simply because it's stronger. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Sets:
    [​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Choice Specs | Magnet Pull
    Timid | 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    Volt Switch | Thunder | Hidden Power | Flash Cannon

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Life Orb | Natural Cure
    Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
    Hydro Pump | Psyshock | Rapid Spin | Recover

[​IMG]
    Rotom [Wash] @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
    Calm | 248 HP / 100 Def / 168 SpD | 0 Atk
    Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Thunder Wave | Rest

Nitpicks:
    • [​IMG]
      • Choice Scarf set ----> Specially Defensive ChestoResto set
    • [​IMG]
      • Leftovers ----> Choice Specs AND Substitute ----> Thunder*
      • Alternative recommendation: Volt Switch ----> Thunderbolt*
    • [​IMG]
      • Fusion Bolt ----> Bolt Strike
    • [​IMG] ----> [​IMG]
    *: Choose one or the other, but not both.

Sorry for the lack of almost anything substantial in this rate. It's hard for me to rate solid teams like this one. Good luck with it, and Luvdisc'd!
  8. Giacomo

Giacomo

Thanks for your rates guys =)
    It's true that is hard for this team to face Tornadus-T, and i'm definitly change Scarfed Rotom-W to a Special Defensive one. I didn't know Victini could learn Bolt Strike lol, you are true guys. And about Magnezone... I think i'm going to change it to a Specs one, as dragonuser told me, it's useless to go substitute + volt switch...
    Although i don't agree to change Latias to Starmie, i'll destroy the good syenergy that my team has.
    Thank you all guys for your rates and for the 3 luvdiscs =)
  9. Giacomo

Giacomo

I'll add the new changes in RED

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)