ITS GAME TIME- Last 4Th Gen OU team

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTRODUCTION

Well with 5th Gen in full swing and 4th gen pretty much dead, I wanted to post my last 4th gen team which I had hugh sucess with. My record was something like 40 wins and 6 losses with this team on wifi. With out further ado here the team.​

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

STARMIE @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure (Who da hell uses Illuminate)
Nature: Timid (+ Spd, -Atk)
Evs: 4 Hp/ 252 spatk/ 252 spd
-Rapid Spin
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt​

Ahh Anti-Lead Starmie. Such a boss this thing is. In my opinion it is hands down the best lead in late 4th gen ou. This thing destroys probably at least 80% of the leads that it faces. The ones it might lose against, such as aerodactyl, Jirachi and Machamp, are handled fairly easily by Metagross, but more on that later. Starmie's Hydro Pump is so damn powerful that it OHKOS or 2hkos many pokemon. It OHKOs tyranitar and Ohkos Scizor if it has switched into stealth rock twice. It also 2hkos common leads such as Swampert and metagross. Ice beam and Thunderbolt are for coverage and they hit many pokemon that resist Hydro Pump such as Dragonite, Breloom, Gyarados and opposing starmie for super effective damage. Last Rapid Spin is to spin the Stealth rocks that almost every lead has.​

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
Nature: Brave (+Atk, -spd) (Couldnt get Adamant, but Brave is fine)
Evs: 252 Hp/ 252 Atk / 4 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake​

Ahh Metagross. This thing is absolutely amazing. Had its place pretty much taken by Scizor after the release of Platinum but I find Metagross is better than scizor. This thing provides almost perfect synergy with starmie as it destroys eveything Starmie cant touch. Stealth rock is a gimme as nothin else on my team can lay down rocks. Meteor mash 2hkos lead Machamp which as kind of troublesome for this team, with Lum Berry negating Dynamic punchs confusion. Bullet Punch is to pick off weak foes. EQ over explosion because EQ gives me good coverage and I rarely have time to explode.​

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant: (+Atk, -Sp.atk)
Evs: 156 Hp/ 72 Atk/ 96 Def/ 184 spd
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Bounce
Bulky Dos for the WIN! This thing is one of my favourite pokemon to use. With Taunt, it sets up on walls such as Blissey, Skarmory, and defensive Celebi. After 2 DDS, its pretty much game over. Waterfall as the obligatory STAB that is amazingly powerful and Bounce over Stone Edge because it is a very powerful secondary STAB move and it helps a lot with Breloom who could otherwises pretty easily sweep my team.​

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid: (+spd, -Atk)
Evs : 32 Hp, 252 spatk, 224 Spd
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power​

I bet your reading this and asking yourself WTF is this set. Well just to tell everyone, this set has saved me in battle countless times. The Evs are for 321 speed, enough to outspeed Gliscor and otheres at 320 speed. I dont run max because most max are scarfed anyways. Leech Seed + Protect is great at anoying opponents with leftovers it gains so much recovery in one turn. Seed Flare is for Obvious STAB and earth power are for fire and grounded steel pokemon.​

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm (+spdef,-atk)
Evs: 248 Hp/ 252 sp.def / 8speed
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Protect

Yep Specially defensive Heatran. It completes my FWG core and is amazing at stalling and annoying. This set recommended by Blazin Kickin Chicken is a very good complement to this team. As stated by him, it beats the subroost Zapdos that could potentialy destroy this team. Lava Plume is a decently powerful STAB move even with no spatk evs, and the added 30% chance of a burn is always helpful. Earth Power obvious for the fire pokemon trying to switch in for free. Toxic for annoying and stalling and the primary way to beat that subroost Zapdos. Protect is to rack up more toxic damage.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Jolly (+spd, -spatk)
Evs: 4Hp/ 252 atk/ 252 Spd
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-turn
-Thunderpunch​

Oh wow, I guess your thinkin. Choice Scarf Flygon? Everyone has that right? Thats kind of cheap right? Well maybe it is but is has helped me immensely. Flygon is the last dragon standing so to speak but it is not to be underestimated. Its dual STAB is almost unresisted by all of OU. Earthquke is a very powerfull STAB move even off 299 atk. Outrage over Dragon Claw for the extra power which is always useful even if I get locked into it. U-Turn is a gimme for scouting and thunderpunch is pretty much exclusively for bulky Gyarados.​

FINAL WORDS

All in all this team has been just amazing for me. 4th gen was an excellent gen with great pokemon and I hope 5th gen will be even better.
Rate, Comment and say wat this team needs. Thanks to all for reading this team.
Changes in bold

Hi, this is quite a solid team you have; I like the offensive synergy you have going here, putting pressure on your opponent right from the start with the Starmie+Metagross combination. There's not much to say; you have most of the metagame covered well. A SubRoost Zapdos does really screw you over though; free Sub versus Gyara and you can't really touch it - Heatran doesn't do enough damage with Fire Blast and eventually will be Pressure stalled out of them. Flygon will be Toxic stalled as Outrage fails to do significant damage, Starmie can't OHKO with Ice Beam while Thunderbolt takes it out, Metagross can't touch it, Gyarados dies to T-bolt, and Shaymin is Toxic stalled out. Another problem I noticed is the two Scarfers. This really is redundant, especially when you consider the threats ScarfTran keeps in check, such as Lucario, who is covered by both your Shaymin and Gyarados. I think that you could run a specially defensive Heatran over your current set. Not only does it deal with Zapdos extremely well, it lures in bulky waters such as Suicune that could potentially stop Gyarados's sweep, crippling and stalling them out with its great bulk and Protect.

Heatran @ Leftovers | Calm Nature | EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Lava Plume / Earth Power / Toxic / Protect

That's it for my rate. Good team, good luck.

Tested this team out on PO and it is quality. The team performed much better with a Sp.def Heatran, helping out against electric types, I put roar on it, instead of toxic as the team is offensive based and won't gain as much from toxic. Although a poisoned Vaporeon seems to help Gyarados, I found I rarely got to stall the Vaporeon into Stone edge KO range, making toxic pretty pointless. So after testing, I recommend you change your Heatran set to:

Heatran @ Leftovers
248 hp/252 sp.def/8speed
Calm
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Roar / Toxic / Torment / W.e.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really like the idea of that specially defensive heatran. it really aids my team. But George182, I would rather have Toxic because Shaymin already deals pretty good with vaporeon

Hello, Lookin at ur team it llok like Breloom has a field day with your team With the combination of Spore/Sub/Focus Puunch/Stone Edge. I Say you should give Gyra Bounce overr SE To deal with breloom/Grass types better. OR give shaymin HP Fire over Earth Power

Other than that great team

Hey zapdos, this is obviously a very solid (if extremely standard) OU team. Since you've added SpDef Heatran your Zapdos / RestTalk Rotom weaknesses can at least be worked around with some good play, which I'm sure you can do. You do have a few other weaknesses such as AgiliGross which can set up without too much trouble and, barring Flygon's revenge killing, sweep through the rest of your team. Grass types with Leech Seed and a Ground attack, especially Venusaur, are also always going to cause trouble for this particular type of team since you just don't have any reliable way of taking it out. However, I can't see any way to patch these up further without making your team unnecessarily defensive and altering its entire structure.

Just some minor nitpicks I think would help out. First is Rest > Protect on Shaymin. Protect is useful for racking up Leech Seed damage of course but I really don't think its worth the moveslot on Shaymin when you're not abusing it with a lot of other residual damage. Shaymin is also an incredibly important team member for you since you will otherwise be obliterated by bulky Suicune, Gyarados and so on. Being able to Rest and come in next time at full health would alleviate these issues a lot.

Second thing. I still don't like how Zapdos and RestTalk Rotom beat you so easily, so I'm going to suggest using a RestTalk Heatran over your current set (though using the same specially defensive spread). Using the moves: (Lava Plume, Earth Power/Toxic, Rest, Sleep Talk) means you will beat Electric types much more reliably over the course of the battle. Personally I'd run Toxic in that second slot because you do have something of a Water type weakness while Heatran is very well covered.

Otherwise, nice team and good luck :)

Hi zapdos=god, nice team.
Bounce on Gyara doesn't actually help much with Breloom. Since it's a two turn move, you'll never be able to catch him without his Sub up; he'll set one up while you prep the move every time, eventually knocking you out with Seed Bomb. Bounce is a fine move with plenty of benefits to be sure, but Ice Fang is the better choice for handling Breloom, if that's your main concern.

I'd also recommend using Adamant over Jolly on Flygon. The extra speed isn't all that helpful since you outspeed everything anyways. You really only lose out to other Choice Scarf Base 100s, and 99% of those are other Flygons, who you have multiple ways of dealing with. The boost in power is small, but notable.

My last suggestion is to get rid of protect on Shaymin. Protect may help you get some extra recovery, but if the opponent switches you've basically wasted your turn. Protect is rarely worth the moveslot unless you really need a scout, use Toxic Spikes, or your pokemon also has Wish, and Shaymin doesn't fall into any of those categories. There are many moves that could go in that slot, though HP Fire, Substitute, and Rest all come to mind. The first helps you deal with Scizor and the Grass-types your team has a weakness to, while Substitute is a great move alongside Leech Seed. Rest may seem redundant with Leech Seed, but as Bubbly has already mentioned it's restorative powers can quickly turn the tide of a match.

That's all I have. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)