1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

It's over before it even starts (Hyper Offense)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by kirchinator, Aug 11, 2013.

1. kirchinator

kirchinator

Hey guys, I've never really taken a stab at UU before until now, having been sucked into the OU metagame all this time. UU is really, really fun though and I'm glad I decided to give it a try. The variety in UU is miles ahead of where OU is seemingly stuck, and I love it. The first I noticed was that type synergy and team chemistry is oh so important in UU, so my teambuilding strategy revolved around creating the most solid defensive core I could possibly think up, while hitting as hard as I possibly can, which in theory, creates a constant advantage in my favor. It's worked out pretty well so far and have been scraping at the 1800 mark (haven't gotten there yet though, but could use your help to do it!). Well, let's do it.

Teambuilding Process:
    As stated, my thought process behind building myself a great team started with type synergy and a strong core so I could switch on the fly to whoever I seemed most fit for the situation. I wanted to build this way to eliminate the need for dedicated walls, as well as minimizing RNG and luck. For this to work, I need to comfortably be able to switch and counter at least twice while simultaneously forcing my opponent's hand into my favor. I ended up with a really fun team to use that absolutely demolishes almost everything. So, the core:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nothing outclasses the classic Fire/Water/Grass triangle. It's as solid, stable and creates mind games with my opponent, leaving me the upper hand in who I want to counter with. I went with these three, as they all hit very hard straight away. They also achieve the other perfect triangle, Psychic/Dark/Fighting. I'll get into their sets a bit later.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Second, I needed something to sponge electric attacks, toxics and sludge bombs; I also needed someone to lay down rocks. I originally wanted to put a bulky Nidoqueen here, but after trying both, Nidoking just hit harder and was much more effective overall in keeping momentum in my favor. It's the standard sheer force set, nothing special.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Special, bulky Scrafty was my next choice. I've always had a difficult time against bulk-up Scrafty, so I decided to use one to my advantage. It evens out my Psychic weakness and brings a very important fighting type to bring some offensive presence against all those opposing darks and steels that like to hang around in UU. It can come in on something like Umbreon or stay in on defensive Hitmontop, get two bulk-ups off and turn into a wrecking ball. Overall, it rounds out the team pretty nicely, paving a way for any other team member to sweep if it's unable to clean up on its own.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next order of business was to take care of the glaring weakness to fighting that can help support Victini, who can't be alone in taking repetitive fighting hits from the likes of Mienshao and Machamp. Banded Spiritomb was perfect for this role, who could take a few random hits, dish out some much needed priority and keep stray Hi Jump-Kicks from surprising me. It also gives me the added bonus of being able to trick the band on to calm mind users and screw them over if they're expecting a defensive set.​

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As much as I love Sharpedo, it wasn't adding enough bulk or wall-breaking presence to take on multiple threats. It also defeated the purpose of being flexible in switching/countering. I replaced it with specs Kingdra instead to sponge fire attacks, as the added dragon typing gives me some helpful resistances to freely switch some more. This is where I'm at right now, on to the sets:

[​IMG]
    Life Orb / Sheer Force / Naive
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunderbolt

Nidoking is a beast. I like to use it as a lead if I don't have to rival something with a powerful earthquake. Best case scenario: hit opposing lead hard enough to 2HKO --> set up rocks turn two as it switches out --> hit counter hard as well, possibly netting a surprise KO. This gives me a huge advantage as I can get rid of a wall and allow something else to get a KO on something Nidoking weakened when it otherwise wouldn't. This immediately gives me just the right amount of pressure and lets my team go from zero to sixty right out of the gate.

[​IMG]
    Choice Scarf / Victory Star / Jolly
    252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - V-create
    - U-turn
    - Bolt Strike
    - Zen Headbutt

My revenge killer and back up lead to use against Bronzong, if I see an opportunity to net a quick OHKO, or if my opponent isn't carrying a flash fire user. V-create is so good, it's almost not even fair to use. Maximum speed along with the choice scarf gives me a deadly combination of blazing speed and raw power. This also serves as my best answer to scarf Heracross, who for some reason never likes to switch out head to head.

[​IMG]
    Leftovers / Shed Skin /Careful
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    - Bulk Up
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Rest

The most bulky of all the bulky, bulk up users. Scrafty forces a lot of switches, which is great for me as it allows me to use it as sort of a mixed wall/sweeper hybrid. It's special bulk is perfect to counter ghosts, and weak special attacks in general. After two bulk ups, and sometimes even just after one, Scrafty becomes very difficult to deal with. The only things it can't do are deal with Crobat, Yanmega and occasionally Togekiss if luck isn't on my side.

[​IMG]
    Choice Specs / Swift Swim / Modest
    252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    - Hydro Pump
    - Surf
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Pulse

My other "wall" if you want to call it that; more of a utility sponge. Kingdra tanks any and all fire attacks, and has the flexibility to switch and counter several times. Maximum bulk is necessary to achieve this, while maximum power not only surprises a lot of people, but can 2HKO almost any wall that doesn't come into a resisted attack. Mainly used to counter Victini.

[​IMG]
    Lum Berry / Justified / Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Leaf Blade
    - Stone Edge

Virzion is probably the most valuable member of this team. With perfect coverage, a great set of resistances, bulky defensive stats and a great speed stat, Virizion can blast holes through teams. It's easy to bluff a scarf early on, which allows me to freely set up on toxic/will-o-wisp dependent walls. This more often that not, leads to a sweep. The added Justified bonus lets me keep my bluff if I can manage to switch into a weak dark attack, which is always cool.

[​IMG]
    Choice Band / Pressure/ Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    - Pursuit
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sucker Punch
    - Trick

The final member of my team, and another very important piece. It acts similar to Kingdra in sponging weak attacks, but also nets me some surprise kills with an unexpectedly hard hitting set of priority moves. It alleviates the need to keep having to use Victini, as Victini tends to become easily worn down, especially if stealth rocks are set up. The main focus of this set though is to trick away the choice band early though. Suicune loves to come in, expecting a free set up and sweep, only to come away with a choice band/sucker punch combo to the face. Its also nice to keep whatever I trick my choice band onto alive, so I can later get myself a free couple turns of set up with Scrafty or Virizion if they're still alive.

So, there it is. My first UU team. It's served me well so far, but it's not without its flaws. Crobat gives a hard time if its preserved and held for late game. Basically anything with a fast, flying arsenal hurts me pretty badly. Flygon is also a bitch to deal with since I'm having a hard time finding something else to help take earthquakes. Scrafty also tends to become unreliable with shed skin every once in a while, which leaves me without help against powerful special attackers. I am also thinking about replacing Kingdra with some form of Swampert for added bulk, but it's hard to give up the sheer power and wall-breaking ability that Kingdra brings to the table. Thanks for reading, and hope for some feedback.

scotti likes this.
  2. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Banned deucer.

Minor nitpick: switch Nidoking's Nature from Naive to Timid to buff his Special Defense a little bit. It also reduces the Foul Play damage taken from Sableye and Umbreon.
  3. PTJon7

PTJon7

I really prefer Sub-BU on Scrafty as opposed to Rest. Scrafty's defenses are so high that pretty much no attack from a wall will break the Sub. Having to rely on Shed Skin to remove Rest can be pretty risky in my opinion, I've gone whole matches without Shed Skin activating before. Setting up a Substitute is much more reliable in my experiences with BU Scrafty.

I'm not really a fan of the Spiritomb, as much as I love using low tiers in UU I just don't think CB Spiritomb is that great. I agree with Kingler about trying out Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus.
  4. Aecor

Aecor

Hey, nice team. Choiced Banded Crobat kind of destroys this team, as it can come it on Scrafty and Virizion. It also eats Kingdra up after 2 SR switch ins.

I would suggest using Modest max speed on Kingdra. I see what you're doing with a bulky Kingdra; however, it just isn't effective. You would lose to all variants of Kingdra, something that you do not want. It is better to speed-tie than to always lose. The bulk doesn't help much imo.

I would run 0 Atk IVs on Nidoking to reduce foul play and confusion damage. Also, run a Timid Nature because it gives you +Spe at no cost to defenses.
  5. Psychotic

Psychotic Autumn caught em, see all them leaves must fall down
    is a Tiering Contributor

Hey Kirchinator, I have a few suggestions for your team.

Teammate Suggestions:
    The two biggest weaknesses I see right now are Banded Flygon, pretty much any form of Kingdra, and Crobat. You don't have a single thing to tank a dragon or flying attack, and Dragon Dance Kingdra gets plenty of setup opportunities on a choice-locked Victini, Kingdra, or Spiritomb. Therefore, I think you should replace Scrafty with Agility Empoleon. This allows you to make an offensive replacement to patch up your weaknesses, as well as giving you a lethal endgame sweeper, which you don't have right now. Empoleon gives your team the win condition it needs.

Moveset Suggestions:
    I agree with every suggestion that Aecor mentioned in the above post. Max Speed on Kingdra, Timid Nidoking, and 0 Attack IV's on both all benefit your team, as explained in his post. Other than that, the movesets look fine.
    Suggested Changes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Empoleon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Agility
    - Grass Knot
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hydro Pump
    - Surf
    - Dragon Pulse

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunderbolt
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Aecor likes this.
  6. Aecor

Aecor

Psychotic, don't d-hop my post. You don't even use protection. In other works, you gotta be running that Sheer Force Nidoking.

Much love, Jason
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  7. Moose V

Moose V

Hey kirchinator you might need something to take down specially defensive mew (taunt, will-o, softboiled, psyshock). You can somewhat eventually wear it down with scrafty but it it also prevents you from setting up and can tmeporarily burn you.
    Against Mew
    Virizion: possible 4HKO
    Nidoking: 17% to 3HKO
    Kingdra: 3HKO (with unreliable hydro)

And mew can taunt (in case trick) and then burn spiritomb (spiritomb's shadow sneak is a 3HKO at best if not burned)
    Victini can 2 hit Mew, but no mew would stay in on Vic and if not it can scout what move vic locks itself into by softboiling. Thus the opponent can switch into an appropriate counter. Also Victini's weak to all hazards and you have no spinner so it can't keep going for the KO.

As for scrafty, it can't 2 hit mew with crunch but you can eventually fish for the defense drop which is your best option.

Here's what I would suggest:
    Ok so right not even tho you have 2 dark types, neither is very reliable at taking down mew so I'd replace Spiritomb with Yanmega for a few reasons:
    1) Evenly splits your team between physical and special sweepers
    2) Maintains a good fighting resist
    3) Deals with mew
    4) Means you get to keep speed boost after all which gives you a massive advantage over other hyper offense
    5) Gives better offensive coverage than redundant physical dark moves.
    6) Ground immunity in case virizion dies

Hope this helps!
  8. Aecor

Aecor

I think you should have a Sub-3 Attack Nidoking and a standard Rhyperior. It alleviates a lot of your physical attacker problems, such as Crobat and the likes.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)