Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Wait. Haven't you never seen a Tarantino movie? I thought you don't watch R rated films...

Either way, I'm happy The Lone Ranger got on the list because that movie was one of the best watches I had in a long time, even if it wasn't a great film. It homaged the old characters rather well, imo.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK NYFF is over. Here's the 2 important things: Walter Mitty got really mixed reviews and Her is apparently great! Predictions shall begin! Oh yeah and Wolf of Wall Street has a really big chance of coming out next year so it's currently in limbo

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Lupita N'yongo (12 Years a Slave)
2. Oprah Winfrey (Lee Daniels' The Butler)
3. Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
4. June Squibb (Nebraska)
5. Amy Adams (Her)

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
2. Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
3. Tom Hanks (Saving Mr. Banks)
4. Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
5. Daniel Bruhl (Rush)

Best Actress:
1. Judi Dench (Philomena)
2. Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
3. Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
4. Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks)
5. Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

Best Actor:
1. Chiwetal Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
2. Robert Redford (All is Lost)
3. Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)
4. Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
5. Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
1. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave)
2. George Clooney and Grant Heslov (The Monuments Men)
3. Billy Ray (Captain Phillips)
4. Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, and Richard Linklater (Before Midnight)
5. Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope (Philomena)

Best Original Screenplay:
1. Spike Jonze (Her)
2. Eric Singer and David O. Russel (American Hustle)
3. Joel and Ethan Coen (Inside Llewyn Davis)
4. Woody Allen (Blue Jasmine)
5. Bob Nelson (Nebraska)

Best Director:
1. Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
2. Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
3. David O. Russel (Saving Mr. Banks)
4. Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips)
5. Spike Jonze (Her)

Best Picture:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Gravity
3. American Hustle
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. Saving Mr. Banks
6. Monuments Men
7. Captain Phillips
8. Nebraska
9. Her
Possible 10. Lee Daniels' The Butler

Next Update: AFI Fest or something turns out to be surprisingly good/terrible

Mack the Knife

It's a new film by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaption, and Where the Wild Things Are). It got great reviews out of NYFF (New York Film Festival). Here's a trailer:

Mack the Knife

I think it's a bit of a drama/comedy. Spike Jonze films have been nominated before so I think it's a strong contender.

I will now list my predictions for last year's academy awards.

Best Picture:
1. The King's Speech: I know this already won best picture in the 2011 academy awards, but I think it's good enough to win again in 2012.
2. That's My Boy
3. Paranormal Activity 4
4. The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug
5. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Best Director:
1. George Lucas (Red Tails)
There is no point in having any other contenders in this category the award will go to Mr. Lucas

Best Actor:
1. Nicholas Cage (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance)
2. Adam Sandler (That's My Boy)
3. Sean Hayes (The Three Stooges)
4. Emma Watson (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)
5. Matt Shively (Paranormal Activity 4)

Best Actress:

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Nicholas Cage (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance)
2. Will Sasso (The Three Stooges)
3. Lynn Collins (John Carter)
4. Andy Samberg (That's My Boy)
5. Vanilla Ice (That's My Boy)

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Mila Jovovich for supporting my dick throughout Resident Evil:Retribution

All of the other awards are unimportant so I won't list my predictions for them

Just saw Shawshank Redemption for the first time. Holy crap they've managed to create the (almost)perfect film.

Also, glad to see Gravity, The Double and The Selfish Giant do well in the London International Film Festival. I tell ya, Ayoade should make more films, he's great at it (Submarine was sublime). I'm a little surprised at the mixed reviews Walter Mitty seems to be getting, not what I expected at all.

Just saw Gravity. Jesus Christ I recommend it to everyone 9.5/10

Unless you're that teenage girl with that expensive phone who said at the end "I slept half way through that"

Just saw Gravity. Jesus Christ I recommend it to everyone 9.5/10

Unless you're that teenage girl with that expensive phone who said at the end "I slept half way through that"
Is it good? My friends don't want to see it but I thought it looked interesting. Is there an actual Plot though because it just looked like she was floating around and things were exploding for the whole advert?

Also, DOCTOR WHO!! A new 1:40 trailer has been released! I'm so excited! Here it is :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lb74r

Asek

Banned deucer.
Saw captain phillips the other day and it was probably one of the best movies ive seen in years. Even though it isnt remotely like the real event it was still a movie with loads of suspense and tom hanks acting was amazing. Would easily give it an 8.5 pushing a 9 even though you alreeady know how its going to end!

There's a small plot about the two astronaughts attempting to get back home (and facing many difficulties along the way), but it's mainly about the stunning visuals (in 3D of course) and Sandra Bullock's legs

Mack the Knife

Guys, I just saw All is Lost, and it's fantastic. It's like Gravity, but with only Robert Redford, in the sea, and more tense (not saying Gravity wasn't tense and great, but All is Lost is better). I highly recommend anyone to see it. 10/10 for me.

catching fire was an excellent adaptation of the book

there were a few details left out but overall i am extremely satisfied with the way they handled it which isn't something i can say for a lot of novels-turned-movies

on a separate note, i also saw requiem for a dream for the first time today and i want to die

it was a spectacular movie but also an incredibly jarring one

Mack the Knife there are four hyped-up movies this holiday season and they're ender's game, thor 2, catching fire, and the hobbit

if you're not too keen on the other three (or anchorman 2) then i'd recommend seeing catching fire as virtually everyone i've talked to has said that it's a fantastic adaptation

Is Ender's Game any good? All the reviews I've seen are mixed and contradict each other, so I wanted to see what you guys think.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reservoir Dogs is a very nice film, even pretty high quality for a tarentino film. It's not the usual "violence and random shit" and is more focused around an actually clever plot. More Pulp Fiction than Django Unchained, if you know what I mean?

Okay so here's a little picture quiz I made which I need to test with you guys for a class presentation. I want to see how well you guys do!
Post your answers in hide tags.

Name a director correctly = 2 points
Name a film correctly = 1 point

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...lYVm6BW3VOrCgdVf5oGGyLkgeo/present#slide=id.p

e: oh and no googling. If you don't know the answer, just pass.

e2: if you only get the surname or first name of the director, that's only half a point

It is but keep in mind that I'm giving this picture quiz to 15-16 year olds, most with little interest in films.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)