Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
rip philip seymour hoffman

so, to honor him what is your favourite PSH movie?
The Master is really nice acting by him but I think the best Philip Seymour Hoffman movie is probably Happiness. If you've never seen it then get on that shit. Get on that shit now

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
5 hours after leaving the theater and I am still reeling from seeing The Wind Rises. If it wasn't such a limited release, I would try to see it again immediately. I've never seen a movie so ambivalent. It strangely works as a companion piece to Princess Mononoke. I really don't know how to do the movie justice yet. It may takes me weeks and rewatchings to properly describe it. Without any doubt the best movie I'll see all year.

5 hours after leaving the theater and I am still reeling from seeing The Wind Rises. If it wasn't such a limited release, I would try to see it again immediately. I've never seen a movie so ambivalent. It strangely works as a companion piece to Princess Mononoke. I really don't know how to do the movie justice yet. It may takes me weeks and rewatchings to properly describe it. Without any doubt the best movie I'll see all year.

Haha first time watching a Miyazaki film? Welcome to the big leagues kid.

It's funny because my first Miyazaki movie was Mononoke which I rented from the library when I was 12-13... I thought it was a kids movie T_T

woah there guys lets try not to get fired up here over our superior japanese films. now is not the time to be spitting hot fires at each other we should be thankful we are blessed with nobuo miyazaki's works.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Been watching the Oscars every year since 2006. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard before at the Academy Awards. Brad Pitt handing out pizza plates was hilarious. And this ofc.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am glad to have been in a foreign country and unable to go see the Ender's Game movie in theatre-- because it's too much of a pita to have to walk out of a theatre in the middle of a movie; much easier to just turn it off.

I always imagined when it came out it would be bad... but not THAT bad... oh God...

It's like they decided to string all the events together and go through the motions of them without ANYONE understanding ANY of the meaning behind ANY of it...

-No character development (not even for Ender)
-No relational development (In a story that's almost entirely about relationships)
-No emotion*
-No Intelligence (in a story about boy Geniuses...)

Fuck, even the battle school battles suck (how could they even make this shit suck??)

Oh God... bleh

*I almost laughed out loud at the Valentine-Ender scene when Valentine cuts Ender off mid-sentence about "loving the enemy"-- since Ender hasn't even been established/developed to have a convincing love for Valentine or Alah, let alone for Bonzo or the Hive Queen. He's just some emo-prick who just seems monotone-peeved about everything in the story from start to finish.

When Ender wrote to Valentine saying he was being trained to command the "Invasion Fleet" (When NO ONE on EARTH was supposed to even KNOW there would be an Invasion--absolutely top secret-- and even Ender at this point shouldn't know about it and is supposed to just "play a game") I had to turn if off-- it was just to ridiculous.

Besides, no one who didn't read the book would be able to follow this crap-in-a-box anyway; and anyone who has read the book would feel like they've had their soul ripped out in every, single, scene.

You know something is wrong at the very start of the movie when Ender says "50 years ago~" (it's supposed to be several hundred years ago) and it just gets more and more wrong as the story goes on. lol

edit: If you want to watch a BETTER telling of Ender's game on the screen, just watch the last 2-3 episodes of Macross Frontier.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man Chou you kit the nail on the head that film was just awful. I've never read the book but i knew the story, and even I know it did a terrible representation.

You forgot to mention how EDGY it was jeez that thing was so edgy.

I also saw delivery man recently. Though it was really corny at some points, I found I really did enjoy it. Has anyone else seen that so far?

_Tonks_

Cap 2 was fantastic, especially if you've been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and realize where all the plot intersections are.
I keep hearing great things about Cap 2 and Agents. I might go see Cap today, and start watching Agents. I thought it would be gimmicky at first, typical Movie to TV show shit they pull, but I'm inteerstd now.

I keep hearing great things about Cap 2 and Agents. I might go see Cap today, and start watching Agents. I thought it would be gimmicky at first, typical Movie to TV show shit they pull, but I'm inteerstd now.
the season is a little difficult to get through in the beginning but the last four or five episodes have all been spectacular

just finished seeing Her for the first time

honestly I didn't expect a lot going into the film because all I had heard is that it was about "a guy falling in love with his computer" but it was so much more than that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)