1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

IV training

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by CervixalCubby, Jul 8, 2009.

1. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

So I am new to IV training but I have a level 1 Snorlax and I used Metalkids calculator to judge its IVs and it said this.

Snorlax - #143 (Modest)
    HP: 0 - 30
    Att: 0 - 30
    Def: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
    SpA: 0 - 30
    SpD: 0 - 30
    Speed: 0 - 30

Outside of nature is this a good pokemon?
  2. graves

graves

You can't tell at ALL.
    You need to give it rare candy's and put in the stats it gets,
    you have to get way more precise then this. Sorry.
  3. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

I only have one rare candy.
    I will just EV train HP which is Bidoof over to 5.
  4. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Yeah, Level 1 stats are basically useless. Also, since you are using MetalKid's Calculator, you should notice that the calculator will tell you what levels you will need for whichever stat to get a more precise IV for each of those stats.

Also, no such thing as IV training.You can't train for IVs. You can only breed for them. Seeing how you have a max of 30 IV only, its characteristic is probably Sturdy Body with possibly 30 in Defense. You should probably try to aim for 31 in a few stats. And, of course, nature is more important than IVs, but probably even if the snorlax you have is male and it turns out to have a few 30s in the right spots (which is not that likely), I wouldn't use it for rebreeding. You can probably do better than that.
  5. urza220

urza220

Definitely a keeper; would make a good specslax.
  6. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

Do better IV pokemon breed better IV pokemon?
    I always thought the numbers will be completely random.

I just got new numbers at level 3
    Snorlax - #143 (Modest)
    HP: 0 - 13
    Att: 0 - 13
    Def: 5, 10, 15
    SpA: 0 - 3
    SpD: 0 - 13
    Speed: 0 - 6

those aren't good.

Should I keep the Snorlax to breed other Snorlax or will it just breed bad Snorlax each time?
  7. Ashitaka

Ashitaka

Yes, the better IVs the parents have, the better IVs the egg will have. This is because the parents pass down IVs to the egg.
  8. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

9. R S E FR LG

R S E FR LG

That is not the way at all to IV check a Pokemon. If you have Wi-Fi, you go into a Wi-Fi battle with a person who is willing to help you (not an actual battle, so you have to have told the person beforehand that you want to check your Pokemon's IVs). Go to the Wi-Fi Forum (link on the top of the Stark Mountain page) and go to Simple Requests (or something like that) on the top of the thread list (it's a sticky) and ask someone for a Level 100 Battle to check your IVs (don't worry, you don't care about winning this one, so enter that Level 1 you have). Then in the battle, select Pokemon instead of "Fight", and choose Summary for the Pokemon you want to IV check. Then put those stats in the calculator and you will get flawless results. Then you can close the battle or whatever.

Oh, and DO NOT battle ANYTHING beforehand with the Pokemon unless it doesn't give you experience. That will give you EVs that may affect you're results.

Also, what he was saying about Rare Candies, you do that to see the Lv.100 Pokemon, so save before feeding it Rare Candies and DO NOT SAVE after giving it the Rare Candies, that way you won't actually raise it to Lv.100, you will just see what it's stats will be. But IMO the Wi-Fi method works better.

Am I confusing?
  10. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

Ok after I write down the stats of the pokemon in the battle where would I go to check what the IVs are?
    Also
    What is a soft reset?
    I am reading the breeding guide right now.
    Also does the dittos IVs take into account?
    Also I was thinking about getting into UU tournaments after I get six pokemon of my liking.
  11. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede

Forget Rare Candies, and forget fighting. You can do one of 2 things: EXP. Share, or put it in the Daycare and get it to lvl 10 or 15.

THEN you check an IV Calc. You could also request an IV battle if you have WiFi for 100% accurate results.
  12. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

I understand the fighting thing but I don't think fighting is the most fastest way to check.
  13. Aiklap

Aiklap

IV battles are the most common and most pratical ways of checking by far, unless you somehow have 99 rare candies, but even then it takes ages to use them all. IV battles are the quickest way to get fast and reliable results.
    If you don't have wi-fi, i surgest leaving it at the day care.
  14. CervixalCubby

CervixalCubby

Once I get the level one hundred stats, will metal kids calculator tell me the exact IVs?
  15. Aiklap

Aiklap

Yes. All decent IV calculators will.
  16. R S E FR LG

R S E FR LG

EXP. Share will still give EVs, so that doesn't work as well, as you need to record all the EVs it gets.
  17. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I would listen to R S E FR LG C XD D P P BR's advice. I get the impression that he has played a lot of the games.
  18. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The OP must surely be a troll.
  19. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

Wow IV training? sounds like a new concept similar to those As-Seen-On-TV ads I see so frequently.
  20. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I actually lol'd

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)