1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Jackie Chanless Mafia! Shendu wins!

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by blue_light, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Da Letter El

Da Letter El Officially internet famous
    is a Forum Moderator

Da Letter El wins? =(

I believe this is the 1st mafia game I have lost in (besides cancelled mafias).
  2. blue_light

blue_light

End Game. Bow Before Shendu. Evil as fuck.

You all surrounded Outlaw, but before the final blow was struck, he tore open a portal in time and - Samurai Jack hopped out and this happened:
    [​IMG]

Smited in one blow, you find Evan hunched over Outlaw's corpse with the Monkey Talisman in his hand.

"With this final talisman......I AM COMPLETE!"

[​IMG]

With all 12 talismans, I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Bored, the Monkey King comments: Great now we get to serve this green turd.

[​IMG]

ALL HAIL LORD SHENDU!!!!

Game over.

3. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

that picture really captured my good side.

honorable mention to nightmares who i would have won with if shendu took prisoners (it turns out i take no prisoners).
  4. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

I think Viper's role PM picture proves this otherwise.
  5. blue_light

blue_light

Viper in that pic was the "song bird" for the Sky demon.
  6. Mattimeo

Mattimeo

I know I made some mistakes in this(one that might've kept me alive a night longer) but the village was terribad. :(

Oh and I saw this while looking at DBZ mafia: "199. I will not make alliances with those more powerful than myself. Such a person would only double-cross me in my moment of glory. I will make alliances with those less powerful than myself. I will then double-cross them in their moment of glory."
  7. evan

All fairness village was being lead by a combination of: Shendu, Aku, and Hawkeye.

As for Viper, what can I say? A demon has needs.
  8. Mattimeo

Mattimeo

Yeah. Maybe it just seems that way because of some things I knew and they didn't.
    Oh and the night you said you hooked AND killed was that BS or just another ability you got after having x talismans?
  9. evan

With Ox and Dragon I could both kill and hook on Odd nights if I idled on Even ones. There was a lot of confusion on my end on when I could use which powers etc etc.

After getting the Rat Talisman I could use two actions every Day/Night cycle instead of just the one previously (Ox worked the same night as Dragon because Ox was a day action though it belonged to the previous Day/Night cycle. Like I said, it was confusing).
  10. blue_light

blue_light

Postgame!

This is the Jackie Chan Adventures Mafia Postgame. When I first proposed the idea of a Jackie Chan Adventures Mafia, many people were skeptical that there was even a fanbase for the theme, but I was pleasantly surprised that many other people also enjoyed this fine cartoon. To start off, I will comment on my thoughts and goals of JCA mafia. In terms of the flavor and lore I knew I wanted to incorporate the 12 talismans of Shendu and Shendu himself. My second goal was to create a closed theme mafia that was open themed, which would then allow me to institute some of the suggestions made in a thread a while back discussing the power of the village in small mafias. I knew full well that it would be controversial to not include staple characters like Jade and Jackie Chan in Jackie Chan Adventures mafia, but it seemed like it was a necessary thing to do provided if you have ever played a closed theme mafia, main characters give the village advantages because they are always automatically village in most cases. My third goal was to see how powerful the mafias would be if they were each given reasonable false claims while also nerfing inspections across the board.

The Neutrals
    I did not want to include too many neutrals in the game, so I decided that I would have two neutrals that were each a faction onto themselves. The first was Shendu which gained power over time and Dracula who could convert users and win through espionage.

Your free false claim will be the character: Jackie Chan
    There is no village role that can collect talismans and use them.

The first role created for Jackie Chan Adventures was Shendu and I really deliberated a long time on what he would be capable of, simply this one character molded the entire mafia. The Sheep Talisman which was originally on Captain Black was a very difficult talisman ability to create, simply for balance reasons. My initial ability for the Sheep talisman was inspection, but I thought that if Shendu collaborated with the village, this could end up being very nasty for the mafias. I had a few other ideas ranging from tracking/watching to “sending a message to user from blue_light”, but I finally settled on sending an anonymous message to a user after re-watching the episode in which Daolon Wong acquires astral projection. The Chunk of Irradiated Metal…..just lol (garnered one kill).

For a wolf and the best false claim in the game by far, evan played very excellently. He was a bit under the radar at the start, but as soon as Outlaw was outed as a safe claim due to matty’s death, he quickly established himself as a village leader communicating a lot with Outlaw. It is best to note that evan was very close to dying on several occasions, but was saved by the Tiger Talisman from a ruthless tooth-spitting whale. Near the end, evan was able to convince the village that he was an ally and similarly the Nightmares before cruising into an easy victory.

Your free false claim will be the character: Jade Chan
    There is no village role that can martyr.

The Dracula role was originally supposed to be chi vampire, but I could not find any good pics of a Chinese vampire so I just went with good old Dracula. The role was originally just a one time bpv with conversion/hook/silence, but I amped up his protection powers a lot after considering what type of powers Pinhead would have. While conversion is pretty much taboo in mafias, I think this was an excellently balanced way for a neutral to convert a user, even though thunda never managed to convert any individuals. Another thing to mention was that when Dracula was role name inspected the Dark Hand pretty much assumed that he was a Nightmare and began sending him target info during the night, which was pretty funny to witness since thunda was pretty confused.

Thunda tried to stay under the radar the whole game, but he was targeted an insane amount of times during the night, dodging several kills using his bpv (main reason why the village wasn’t wholly slaughtered). Thunda was also very close in terms of conversion almost converting Jimbo on one night and Outlaw on another, if he did the game would have a much different ending.

The J-Force
    The J-force really lacked in terms of pure inspection power, but they had several ways to obtain some info on users during the night. Due to the false claims given to the mafia I knew that there would be a lot of village lynching in this game, so I included several ways for the village to block kills and win votes.

One of the main measures for the Village to win late game if they were desperate, Super Moose is pretty much a normal villager except that he gains 1 extra vote for every item that he has in his possession. There were a total of 12 items in the game, potentially, and Mr Goodbar received a total of zero. However the heir of the Rat Talisman, evan, was able to receive 11 items at the end of the game giving him 12 votes at the end of the game. Other special flavor rules include, in the event that Super Moose lost the Xiaolin Showdown to Jack Spicer, he would die and the Rat Talisman gave the power of animation to Shendu making it his most valuable talisman. Once animated, Shendu was able to gain the Rat Talisman’s voting benefits during the day free of charge and the ability to use 2 talismans per day/night cycle.

I can’t really say much about what Mr Goodbar did in this game, I pretty much claimed to Jimbo and Outlaw and bandwagoned.

Standard village doctor role, I decided pretty early on in the game that I wanted Uncle in the game, simply because he’s the go to guy in almost every episode of JCA. In my eyes, while Jackie Chan has to go around fighting people and taking talismans, it’s Uncle who saves the day in the end with his spells. The clove of garlic was nothing much except for Rat Talisman fodder and the small ability of being immune to Dracula.

Tenken did some discussion at the early/mid portion of the game, though he eventually claimed to Outlaw and Evan and was killed.

The village backup doctor, at first I was very confused on what to put Tohru as. I was very tempted to make him a false claim for the mafia or make him part of the Dark Hand, but I decided when looking over the roles I had for the J-force that he would make an adequate back up doctor. The pufferfish wand was used 2 times in the game, before it was stolen by the village thief and that was where it stayed until Golbez’s death.

Outright claiming back up anything publically in the thread is pretty much fail in all cases and Raverist did just that. He also publically claimed that he had an inspection type item in the thread without giving it away to somebody that he trusted, instead he kept it and it of course got stolen. Overall a pretty poor performance, though he didn’t get lynched by the village!

At first I did not want to include Daolon Wong in my mafia, but when I was looking at the list of talisman abilities I was stumped on what to do with the Tiger Talisman since it had such a rather dumb ability. Over time I came up with Daolon Wong, village miller and one man twin. If Daolon Wong was targeted with a kill he would become Daolon Wong the Good, village full inspector. If Daolon Wong was lynched while still possessing his good side, he would become Daolon Wong the Bad, neutral wolf. The Tiger Talisman gave Shendu a bpv/lynchproof that lasted once and had to be activated manually.

Thorns set out to do one thing, become wolf. He didn’t even try to claim or talk to anyone so that he would become an eventual lynch target, though I have to ask what he was going to do after he became the neutral wolf (did you think the other villagers were going to leave you alone?). Due to time zone disadvantages Thorns missed out on godkilling his bad side early on in the game since the lynch was done extremely fast.

The Dog Talisman was a one-time auto rogue, a role that I have been using for several games now. I got the idea of using Captain Underpants when I was fishing through some of my brother’s old books and remembered one of my favorite childhood book series.

Wombat Sky Forme was pretty much another bandwagoner, claiming to Jimbo and Outlaw that he was Captain Underpants the holder of the Dog Talisman, though the former did not believe that such an outrageous character could be in the game and he had him name checked.

Viper was another character that was planning on having become a false claim for the mafia. It was originally her on one mafia and El Toro Fuerte on another, but I decided to make her village thief/thief bg instead. The Pink Puma was originally going to be a special item that Valmont could use for a powerful one-timer like summon Hak Foo or something, but I also wanted the Nightmares and the J-Force to be able to cash in this item too. However, I could not find any reason why the Nightmares would want a pink shiny rock.

Golbez_703 stole a fellow villager’s inspection item which he could not use and never gave it back, pretty much missed on all of his steals until very late in the game and he was able to score Mattimeo’s stash of items which were stolen from Phantasia and HD. He was eventually killed by the Nightmares on Evan’s request for his Snake Talisman. Notable mention: he was going to give all of his items to evan the night he died.

Captain black was an anterograde amnesiac inspector, the village’s most powerful inspection power if Thorn’s did not become inspector. I really like this role simply because it is a very interesting to see how a person plays with it. Must suited to die in the mid game, the anterograde amnesiac inspector is useless early and late game, but pretty powerful if he dies mid game.

I do not think that matty claimed to anyone in the game, at least not to any of the mafias. He was killed very early on and only was able to get out 2 inspections upon his death.

Due to poor shows during the summer (which was when I wrote this mafia), I spent quite a bit of time watching Discovery Channel shows. I planned to include either the Mythbusters (which eventually turned to the Winchesters) or Bear Grylls. After seeing Bear Grylls open up a camel for the sole intention of cutting open its guts so he can drink its shit, was enough for me to include him into this game. The role was intended to cause a swine flu epidemic like effect like I had planned in Quarantine and could cause many players to be silenced.

I will admit that I sort of fucked up this role pm specifically in the description of the Ox Talisman. However the flavor of the role was intended, another one of the red herrings that I threw in the village. The sole reason I have Kurt Russell in my mafia was….you guessed it to get raped and killed by the Christmas Critters from Hell. If Kurt Russell ever encountered the Critters in any type of fashion he would be killed on the spot, similar to how the hooker gets killed if he targets the werewolf in fluodome mafia. The Ox Talisman was a powerful day hooking item that was pretty underused. Its few uses weren’t that memorable (hitting Jumbo the unhookable).

The scene with Andrew Ryan in Bioshock, was one of my most memorable moments in my gaming history, so including him in this game as a post restrictor was pretty self-obligatory (Atlas has no class). From an outside perspective, his role is pretty useless, but if he his target was silenced that would cause an instant godkill which was the sole reason why I gave HD the ability to create a one-time silence item.
    The General Empoleon’s Warstories was basically the drugs in Simpson’s Mafia, nothing much to say here.

What to say about imperfectluck? Piss off the noobs enough and they’ll attack you. They do bite.

Typical role name inspector, for pure now results this was the best the village had besides Thorns. The character choice was based on several episodes of Eureka that I have watched.

Was randkilled on the first night, not much to say on how he could have improved.

What do I hate about Heroes? Many things, but Mohinder’s stupid announcements were one of the main reasons why I am disinterested in the series as of now. This was another red herring thrown for the village due to the influx of giving announcer type roles to the mafia to use as safe claims. In a game where all the mafiosos are given false claims I knew this role would come under scrutiny. The will was a very interesting item, it was an anti-scavenger item, which worked pretty darn well denying the Nightmares any items late game until Golbez died and he didn’t change the name on the will.

Solstice claimed to Jimbo who thought he was the wolf. He was eventually targeted for termination by the Nightmares who gave him a little make over with their one time ability.

Inspired by the Danved role in FE mafia, this allowed me to have 25 players in the game to suit the 24 characters in the game. I do watch a lot of Supernatural so including Sam and Dean Winchester in the game over the Mythbusters was much more suitable since they were dealing with a mafia called the Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of. They were given the same powers as Dexter minus the kidnapping/killing.

I do not know if TanAufDemVulkan and Game Freak spoke to one another often, but I have never seen them on IRC. They did claim to the village leaders and were eventually double targeted by the mafias, even though one kill would have been suitable (another wasted kill). They were never able to obtain any results with their inspections, though on the night of their death if they had survived they would have found out that Jimbo was a murderer.

I did not copy this from Fishin, I made this role long before MC mafia. The 3 items were the Mona Lisa, Ornithopter, and the Tank. The Mona Lisa was a one-time silence and Rat Talisman fodder. The Ornithopter was a reusable martyr item which had great synergy with the Tank. The Tank was a reusable doctor item that can also protect the user (self-targeting), but it only has enough protection to protect the user from one attack. The cryptex was an item sort of like the will to protect one’s items from a thief. It also had a secondary ability in that if the irradiated metal and/or the General Empoleon’s Warstories were placed in it, it would neutralize their bad effects while still providing the holder the same item count.

HD told the village leaders about his role and eventually got his items stolen (he never tried to use the cryptex), but he ended up with the Ornithopter and the Tank at the end. Notable mention: HD used the Tank to protect Evan at the end.

The Dark Hand
    I would say that in the early/mid game I thought that the Dark Hand had the definite advantage, but it seemed that they were basically foiled once Outlaw came into power in terms of village presence (never knew why they didn’t just kill him). After Bass’s rather stupid death, the team was held together due to Jimbo’s hooking powers which really changed the game up due to the Nightmares losing their ability to ability block when TIK got lynched. They were eventually ratted out publically in the thread and they were lynched and killed. I would say that the lynching of the Jimbo was probably the climax of the mafia.

Your false claim is John Locke, from Lost.
    There is no role in the village that can track.

Well if a mafia is going to be the Dark Hand, it would be a travesty for Valmont to be a part of it. Valmont was the Dark Hand’s designated killer, holder of the Dragon Talisman (super saiyan anyone?). This is pretty much identical to the Nightmares’ designated killer except with the kills switched for different nights.

Bass quickly established a channel and was a leader in terms of actions for the Dark Hand. However, he had a little accident and overdosed on radiation. Unfortunately he didn’t turn into the hulk and instead he melted into a pile of goo after getting kidnapped by TIK.

Your false claim is Lonelyness.
    The exact false claim that Face Aids had in 28 Weeks Later.

The doctor and designated thief for the Dark Hand, tbh I didn’t really like Catwoman as a member of the Dark Hand, but I could not really think of other character to put in her place.

Mattimeo was a pretty active member of the Dark Hand and he tried very hard at the end to strike some kind of deal, but he was pretty much ignored and cast aside when the Nightmares decided to massacre the Dark Hand. He was ability inspected pretty early on by the Nightmares and was deigned a Dark Hand. Notable mention: Mattimeo was going to die from radiation poisoning if he wasn’t killed the night of his death.

Your false claim is user blue_light.
    There is no ability in the village that can intercept role pms.

The Dark Hand’s most powerful role, an unhookable hooker that can steal a person’s messages, interception is really one of the most powerful roles in the game.

Jimbo was the most active member of the Dark Hand, he took up the mantle of leadership after Bass’s death and his word was pretty much law in #this. He was able to mole early on with his false claim of blue_light, but he was pretty much cast into the shadows after Outlaw’s public inspection. Matty was watched by the Nightmares and they found out that Jimbo was his killer and they strung him along making him believe that they thought he was clean.

Your false claim is Omi from Xiaolin Showdown.
    There are no other Xiaolin Showdown characters in the village.

Potentially a very powerful role, Jack Spicer had a lynch manipulation role that can save a team member’s life for at least one day, while also allowing the Dark Hand to retain that person’s abilities. Unfortunately this ability was used pretty late in the game and didn’t really provide much use for LightningFusion (if he used it earlier he could have probably passed off as a villager and maybe have gotten a good power). It should be noted that the Xiaolin Showdown did not swap abilities if the person targeted was a neutral.

LightningFusion was probably the least active of the Dark Hand, but he contributed to his team nonetheless. However, since he didn’t use his ability til late game he didn’t really contribute much except for using his Falcon’s eye to spy on people.

Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of
    The mafia that had the better chance of winning at the end, in some ways I thought they had a really good chance of winning at the end, I do not know why they trusted evan so eagerly. The Nightmares had a pretty solid early game, but they didn’t begin to shine until Outlaw was publicly inspected and his moling ability came into effect. By manipulating the lynches and blaming the host on poor character choices for the village it seemed that the Nightmares had everything going for them, until the eventual mafia crossfires began and in the end the Nightmares turned to a person that they didn’t fully understand.

Your false claim is Patrick Jane the Mentalist.
    There is no ability in the village that can inspect abilities.

I really like South Park so including ManBearPig and The Christmas Critters was a tribute to that. ManBearPig was the designated killer for the Nightmares. In hindsight if Fishy joined this mafia I probably could have made a neutral role called Al Gore who had to have ManBearPig killed as his wc and a night ability ‘Night X – Check if User is ManBearPig’.

SIdd was pretty inactive early, so I subbed him out for Lightwolf who has always been pretty reliable in my past experiences with him. He and Outlaw discussed and deliberated on most the Nightmare’s night actions. He eventually sacrificed himself for a Nightmare/Shendu victory (which never came).

Your false claim is El Toro Fuerte.
    There is no reverse martyr role in the village.

Probably the most power night ability that the Nightmare had access too. Not much to say here, Kidnappers are op so I compared this role to Jimbo’s hooking powers.

TIK tried to mole early on, he started the eventual lynch of IPL. It seemed that after the first night, TIK was content to sit on the sidelines, but of course he had already sparked the attention of matty and was one of his two inspections which pretty much slammed all the nails into his coffin.

Your false claim is Mike Rowe.
    There is no scavenger role in the village.

The Nightmare’s most stacked role, he had 3 different powers to offer the Nightmares though only 2 came into play. The Solstice kill and having him appear as Aku was a excellent play and really confused the Dark Hand, so much that they didn’t think to try to strike at the Nightmares until it was too late.

Phantasia was pretty much the typical mafia grunt in this mafia. His scavenger ability was very potent in this game and allowed him to get 10 of the 12 items in the game.

Your false claim is Mordecai the Noble Pig.
    There is no ability in the village that can destroy items.

The mole role for the Nightmares, Mordecai the Pig was the false claim because I think it provided a lot of balance. It was believable, but it was also disprovable if he was ever hit by the pufferfish wand or if lightwolf was ever killed or hit by the pufferfish wand. I also believe that this had a great tie in with Aku’s shapeshifting abilities and the Monkey Talisman.

Outlaw was the designated leader for the Nightmares, simply because his role allowed him full access to the village. I think that overall Outlaw played fairly well, though he probably should have been more proactive and forceful with his dealings with the village. I do however, give him mad props on getting a pic of mordecai the pig which I was unable to do.

And that’s it the entire Jackie Chan Adventures Mafia experience all decked out with added commentary from the host. Overall, I feel that this mafia was a great success and that I was able to succeed with the goals that I had made. Feel free to leave your feedback.
  11. blue_light

blue_light

Also all mafia and neutrals, please feel free to post your false claims in the thread to show others.
  12. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

I was on IRC quite often, and Game Freak and I talked a lot. It was a nice role for a couple of noobs to have lol. Sucks that we only got one match with the DNA. =/

Anyway, thanks for hosting, b_l. 'Twas a fun first mafia.
  13. Mattimeo

Mattimeo

Yeah I enjoyed it too. :/
    And I really did try so hard to get golbez to turn the Jimbo lynch. First talked to him as a 'neutral' and then just went all out and told the truth (about everything) but he preferred his mafia to be plotting behind his back, not with him. :(
    I still think Jimbo was the worst lynch choice for that night but I could be wrong. Wonder how this would've turned out if TIK never kidnapped Bass.
  14. evan

(I really liked my fake PM and was really disappointed I didn't get to use it more. I considered in the early game just posting it and saying 'hey guys i am jackie chan talk to me and bg protect' but with inspectors about i decided it would be better to lay low)

A couple of thoughts on my end: I tried to lay pretty low early on in the game, and I think I was pretty successful with that early on. I worried that I was over eager to lynch Tyranidos to get my scaly claws on the Ox Talisman, but it turns out it didn't matter because I was arguing for his lynching to a mafia and my being 'Jackie Chan' offerred him some cover. After matty died, I tried to get Kenyan to put me in touch with the Nightmares ASAP. (I also briefly conversed with Bass to see if he would be up for an alliance but I got 'bad vibes' from him and backed off) Initially I assumed that the Nightmares wouldn't have any Talismans and that only the village and Dark Hand would be reliant upon their powers. I was wrong, but the Nightmares did only have 2 to the Dark Hand's 3.

As for the Jimbo lynch, I made it pretty clear that I would go along with whoever the village decided to lynch and that would be the mafia team I would ally with for the rest of the game. Outlaw proved to be far more powerful in terms of getting village to side with him than Jimbo and so things went on.

I did not know Golbez was giving me the items that night! I had hoped he would give them to me during the day so when I didn't get them I decided that we should just go ahead and have him called (and net me the Snake Talisman which the nasty Nightmares sorta hid from me).

It was really lucky of me to have received the Tiger Talisman the day before I was targetted for death.

PHEW!

Also, it took me forever to get a real kill in. It was really frustrating knowing that the radiation kill was the only one I had up until mattimeo I think.

Edit: And because I am sure everyone wants to know, the most powerful talisman was: Sheep.

One more thing, this was a really, really fun mafia (aided by the fact that I had a really fun role). A great experience for my first (traditional) small mafia.

please don't hate me if we end up in other small games guys!!
  15. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

yay evan won : )

16. evan

oh and one more thing

speed mafia > regular mafia
  17. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

i see what you did there
  18. Mattimeo

Mattimeo

Meh. Never used it, we decided I shouldn't claim it for a few reasons so I ended up just going with b_l's random Van Helsing claim. Never bothered making a role pm. Thought we were doing pretty good after I stole from Phantasia but that didn't last long. :(
  19. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

I never made my own fake, as at that point there was no need for it(Outlaw getting all the claims), though before that I made Phantasia's fake, I will let him post that one.
  20. Outlaw

Outlaw

I had to download and screen capture that fucking episode.
  21. Raverist

Raverist

Wasn't my fault some (BAN ME PLEASE) gave me a role easily mistakable for a mafia. This simply will remind me never to partake in any b_l mafia again.

Also village was fucking useless.
  22. Wombat Sky Forme

Wombat Sky Forme

I had the COOLEST by far role picture.
  23. Raverist

Raverist

Well, at the very least, my character ws actually relevant to the show, which goes to show how shit a host b_l is.

However, if Shendu has won, then that means the Monkey King has lost, right? In that case...

I use this thing to pick on Shendu's dragon typing.
  24. Mattimeo

Mattimeo

Eh, your post was worded badly (Saying you had no ability but could check if someone has a talisman). And then Jimbo, mafia, pointed this out and then you leaked your ability. Saying tohru was bad in 10% of the episodes came up after that. Still I think it took us(Jimbo) awhile to find out you were back up bg.
  25. Raverist

Raverist

ehh.

Once I can be fucked researching other potential roles for my mip I'll likely be better, but as a whole I've did the same thing here as I did in CKM, attempt to attain village leadership and ending up fucking over myself.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)