Jackattack

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Real nice, the pieces where your lineart is more focused and less jagged are among myfavorite of yours. One suggestion I'd lke you to explore further would be to experiment more with the facial expressions. Even if there are plenty of pieces in this thread, if their faces don't change that much from picture to picture then you subconsciously get the impression you're looking at the same picture. But make no mistake, you're really good at this!

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Real nice, the pieces where your lineart is more focused and less jagged are among myfavorite of yours. One suggestion I'd lke you to explore further would be to experiment more with the facial expressions. Even if there are plenty of pieces in this thread, if their faces don't change that much from picture to picture then you subconsciously get the impression you're looking at the same picture. But make no mistake, you're really good at this!
Thank you so much for this feedback and critique! Yes, i do agree with you completely and I feel that lineart and making my work look more "professional" is something i should work on more. Facial expressions have always been a challenge (absolutely no originality with me) so I'll practice everyday and hopefully improvements could be made! ( ・ㅂ・)و

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Here's a new picture focusing on "cleaner" lines (yea, i still failed). The facial expression is pretty much the same....TT^TT
Will still try working on digital art!

Last edited:
As I was scrolling through the thread, I was just preparing to say that the last two girls you did still have almost the same, exact expression although after seeing your most recent post it seems that you've been exploring different expressions as well. The Dave Strider sketch and the most recent piece where you were focusing on getting cleaner lineart are probs my favourite ones so far, keep it up!

I'm sure that as soon as you get in the hang of making various facial expressions everything's going to go for the better. Oh and don't hesitate to use references at first, they should serve as a kind of a starting point since if you can't imagine the face you want to go for in your head, you're not gonna be able to get in on paper either.

Hey there! Just popping in after seeing this thread title pop I up in the "most recent" box, thought I'd give it a browse. It's really nice to see someone who seems intent on doing different approaches to their pictures! When I was frequenting dA too often I saw artists stick to the same methodology and they'd stagnate. I suspect you will not have this difficulty!

Anyway, if I could suggest some things that I think might springboard your stuff a bit further:

1) something I and a classmate of mine used to do a lot in school - since we weren't sure where we wanted our lines to be, we kinda... back-and-forth'd them a lot until the "shape" of what we wanted was gradually carved out. This is okay at first but it's very habit forming! Try to get into the habit of making one or two decisive, longer lines for your lineart, even when sketching. (erase things that are really wrong.) It can be super tough but once you get into the habit you don't have to relearn it. (I find a lot of art is like this... I used to struggle with perspective a lot, and while I don't have it down 100%, I don't remember crossing into a point where I was suddenly mostly okay with it. But I am now, so ?????)

2) I think this is kinda fun... when digital, get into the habit (another habit!! :O) of putting down a base colour that isn't white before you start, and draw on top of it. Middle-colours work best to start with, even grey is better than white. Using black and white (or very strong/bright colours) can skew your colouring and make it too easy to have overly darkened/washed out/over exposed images! ((I can't talk re: saturation though. I'm pretty bad with oversaturation. Gotta use more neutral shades :( )) If you challenge yourself by painting with very opaque, high-transparency brushes, you can get some really neat shading by letting the background colour show through in the darker parts of your image :)

3) even more fun!! this is more of a crazy challenge than an actual suggestion, but I've seen lots of people do it and I have a blast doing it myself. After doing your sketch on your base colour, open up a new layer, and just BLOB random colours all on top of the image. Bright colours! Any colours you want. It can even be all the colours, but two work fine too. You can blur their edges together if you want. Then lower the layer opacity to 50% ish, mess around with it, set it to Overlay, and then colour under that layer without ever taking the layer off. It'll make all your pictures really colourful, and often can unify their palettes if you only ever eye-drop colours that are already on the page instead of picking them off the wheel. (although be aware that you'll have to colour using very dull base colours or else the whole thing will turn out rainbow-bright. If I had to recommend doing anything, I would do this one! It's so much fun and it can change the way you paint. Do it now even!

here are some useful deviantart tuts and references! the tutorial section on dA is definitely your best friend.
http://fav.me/d7jq1c7
PK's big colour thing http://fav.me/d31xj5t
ililaz's super subtle method http://fav.me/d4mij0s
my botched attempt at doing the thing I mentioned in 3) http://fav.me/d7ykimn

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
As I was scrolling through the thread, I was just preparing to say that the last two girls you did still have almost the same, exact expression although after seeing your most recent post it seems that you've been exploring different expressions as well. The Dave Strider sketch and the most recent piece where you were focusing on getting cleaner lineart are probs my favourite ones so far, keep it up!

I'm sure that as soon as you get in the hang of making various facial expressions everything's going to go for the better. Oh and don't hesitate to use references at first, they should serve as a kind of a starting point since if you can't imagine the face you want to go for in your head, you're not gonna be able to get in on paper either.
Thanks so much for this feedback! I've been practicing digital art more and more, and been watching tutorials on how to lineart XD Facial expressions have lots to do with facial features, and this is something i should improve on, but considering i've only started to draw eyebrows on my people this year, i have a lot to learn!

I'm not generally a fan of gijinkas, but I love yours! :D I especially like the sketch feeling on the Meowth one.
Ah! Thanks very much ^^

Hey there! Just popping in after seeing this thread title pop I up in the "most recent" box, thought I'd give it a browse. It's really nice to see someone who seems intent on doing different approaches to their pictures! When I was frequenting dA too often I saw artists stick to the same methodology and they'd stagnate. I suspect you will not have this difficulty!

Anyway, if I could suggest some things that I think might springboard your stuff a bit further:

1) something I and a classmate of mine used to do a lot in school - since we weren't sure where we wanted our lines to be, we kinda... back-and-forth'd them a lot until the "shape" of what we wanted was gradually carved out. This is okay at first but it's very habit forming! Try to get into the habit of making one or two decisive, longer lines for your lineart, even when sketching. (erase things that are really wrong.) It can be super tough but once you get into the habit you don't have to relearn it. (I find a lot of art is like this... I used to struggle with perspective a lot, and while I don't have it down 100%, I don't remember crossing into a point where I was suddenly mostly okay with it. But I am now, so ?????)

2) I think this is kinda fun... when digital, get into the habit (another habit!! :O) of putting down a base colour that isn't white before you start, and draw on top of it. Middle-colours work best to start with, even grey is better than white. Using black and white (or very strong/bright colours) can skew your colouring and make it too easy to have overly darkened/washed out/over exposed images! ((I can't talk re: saturation though. I'm pretty bad with oversaturation. Gotta use more neutral shades :( )) If you challenge yourself by painting with very opaque, high-transparency brushes, you can get some really neat shading by letting the background colour show through in the darker parts of your image :)

3) even more fun!! this is more of a crazy challenge than an actual suggestion, but I've seen lots of people do it and I have a blast doing it myself. After doing your sketch on your base colour, open up a new layer, and just BLOB random colours all on top of the image. Bright colours! Any colours you want. It can even be all the colours, but two work fine too. You can blur their edges together if you want. Then lower the layer opacity to 50% ish, mess around with it, set it to Overlay, and then colour under that layer without ever taking the layer off. It'll make all your pictures really colourful, and often can unify their palettes if you only ever eye-drop colours that are already on the page instead of picking them off the wheel. (although be aware that you'll have to colour using very dull base colours or else the whole thing will turn out rainbow-bright. If I had to recommend doing anything, I would do this one! It's so much fun and it can change the way you paint. Do it now even!

here are some useful deviantart tuts and references! the tutorial section on dA is definitely your best friend.
http://fav.me/d7jq1c7
PK's big colour thing http://fav.me/d31xj5t
ililaz's super subtle method http://fav.me/d4mij0s
my botched attempt at doing the thing I mentioned in 3) http://fav.me/d7ykimn
Oh, wow! Thanks so much for all this feedback and these tutorials! I will take your lineart tips into account, considering the issues i have when it comes to cleaner lines. I haven't tried placing a base colour before, i am quite new to digital art so i don't really try for many elaborate pictures but just stay to my safe sketches which i truly struggle with, and possibly trying some base colours would help. I'll try to play around with colours more, most times, i draw and colour all on one layer so i usually fail at matching colour schemes and playing around with brighter colours that work well on different layers. And that random colour challenge looks really fun! I think i may go try it out and see how this colour thing works >w> Thanks once again!

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Wahoo! I got a new art program that actually takes pen pressure into account. This makes drawing digitally a lot easier ^^ Just a fast kancoll sketch[/hide]

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You faces are warming up more, don't be afraid to show teeth and tongue either if they're open wide! I like the clothing in the last pic, but since it seems to be in a cold environment, that skirt sure could have been longer. :x

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
You faces are warming up more, don't be afraid to show teeth and tongue either if they're open wide! I like the clothing in the last pic, but since it seems to be in a cold environment, that skirt sure could have been longer. :x
Thanks for the feedback! I was taking your previous advice and trying to draw with cleaner lines. Facial expressions, colours, dynamic lines, and hands are on my to do list!

Yea, this outfit was actually made for a french project and my partner helped design most of it, i just drew it, and if you thought the skirt was weird, you should have a look at the other ones we made XD

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
Hey there, I've just wandering around the place and decided the click on your thread. By the way, though I'm no professional, I think I can give you some suggestions to further your drawings, because long before I (and some of my friends now) actually faced this kind of problem too ^^

1. Your characters usually have a broken anatomy. Although the Japanese anime/manga style tends to not giving too much attention to such stuff (the whole big eyes and minimal nose already proved that), your characters just look a bit unsettling. Like the Shintarou one, it doesn't look like he actually have a bone structure, or the Shimakaze one, where her arms are too small compared to the whole body. Or in one of your recent drawings - the second one - the girl's left arm seems out of nowhere.
Of course that's just some details, but overall the character seems pretty weird in their pose, even in your recent artworks. I suggest looking up tutorials about anatomy, and always draw the basic "frame" of the pose, before actually going into details. dA has a lot of useful tutorials, but my internet is too crappy to load it so I can't really get some useful links now D:
Also the face has some problem that you seem to usually draw an eye being smaller than another. Again I suggest reading tutorials and maybe look up some drawings from some famous artists for reference.

2. This was already mentioned but most of the characters seem to be stuck in a same one face - or at least a same eye direction that keeps going to the right. Another thing is that your characters' pose seem to be lacking a bit of dynamic feeling. I don't know how to describe it, but it's kinda like they don't really possess energy, they just stand in one place moving a bit of they're arms, legs and that's it. I think this factor also adds into the unsettling feel of your drawings. The best way to improve this is only practicing. Don't be afraid to use pose reference - at first stage you may want to trace the pose 1-2 times before starting to draw it on your own, that's completely fine as long as you aren't dependent on the base too much. It's very helpful so that you can learn to draw different poses rather than just drawing every single character standing and doing minor movements. ^-^

3. Again already mentioned, but your lineart is a bit sketchy. I don't know if this is because you're not really used to the tablet or you have a shaky hand. This is a tip that I learned from a friend (though I never tried cause I don't do linearts at all): If you feel your hand is shaky and you want to draw a solid long line, keep your wrist in a fixed position, instead, move your arm - it will make the line looks pretty solid. You can try it for yourself to see if it works. However a warning that doing so may hinder your ability to draw traditional (because of the minimal of wrist movement) - this is a problem some digital artists face actually.

Anyway sorry if any of my words are confusing, English isn't my native language, but hope I helped you ^-^

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hey there, I've just wandering around the place and decided the click on your thread. By the way, though I'm no professional, I think I can give you some suggestions to further your drawings, because long before I (and some of my friends now) actually faced this kind of problem too ^^

1. Your characters usually have a broken anatomy. Although the Japanese anime/manga style tends to not giving too much attention to such stuff (the whole big eyes and minimal nose already proved that), your characters just look a bit unsettling. Like the Shintarou one, it doesn't look like he actually have a bone structure, or the Shimakaze one, where her arms are too small compared to the whole body. Or in one of your recent drawings - the second one - the girl's left arm seems out of nowhere.
Of course that's just some details, but overall the character seems pretty weird in their pose, even in your recent artworks. I suggest looking up tutorials about anatomy, and always draw the basic "frame" of the pose, before actually going into details. dA has a lot of useful tutorials, but my internet is too crappy to load it so I can't really get some useful links now D:
Also the face has some problem that you seem to usually draw an eye being smaller than another. Again I suggest reading tutorials and maybe look up some drawings from some famous artists for reference.

2. This was already mentioned but most of the characters seem to be stuck in a same one face - or at least a same eye direction that keeps going to the right. Another thing is that your characters' pose seem to be lacking a bit of dynamic feeling. I don't know how to describe it, but it's kinda like they don't really possess energy, they just stand in one place moving a bit of they're arms, legs and that's it. I think this factor also adds into the unsettling feel of your drawings. The best way to improve this is only practicing. Don't be afraid to use pose reference - at first stage you may want to trace the pose 1-2 times before starting to draw it on your own, that's completely fine as long as you aren't dependent on the base too much. It's very helpful so that you can learn to draw different poses rather than just drawing every single character standing and doing minor movements. ^-^

3. Again already mentioned, but your lineart is a bit sketchy. I don't know if this is because you're not really used to the tablet or you have a shaky hand. This is a tip that I learned from a friend (though I never tried cause I don't do linearts at all): If you feel your hand is shaky and you want to draw a solid long line, keep your wrist in a fixed position, instead, move your arm - it will make the line looks pretty solid. You can try it for yourself to see if it works. However a warning that doing so may hinder your ability to draw traditional (because of the minimal of wrist movement) - this is a problem some digital artists face actually.

Anyway sorry if any of my words are confusing, English isn't my native language, but hope I helped you ^-^
Wow! Thanks so much for typing so much just to try and help me XD also, your english is very good!

1- yea, i agree that i need to work on my anatomy but i barely have time to practice now ;v; although i did try practicing in the summer on drawing hands. I think in the winter break, i'll look up some mote tutorials! Oh, in that recent drawing, i was trying out a bird's eye view perspective thingy but i guess that kinda failed XD.

2- yea, posing is still an issue for me but i think the reason why is because i lack creativity and most times i just like to draw them standing >w> i'll definitely work on it, though and your tips on that seem helpful!

3- ah back to the lineart issue ;v; i thought i was improving after i got my wacom bamboo tablet but i guess it's because...well i don't think i've ever tried lineart...most times, i just do a quick sketch and colour it because i don't think i'll ever have time to lineart it, or that my pictures aren't good enough to put all that time and effort into QwQ maybe someday...

Once again, thanks very much and i really like your artwork! It's so colourful ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Latios sketch, yea, just a fast drawing before homework ....but i still don't feel like doing homework >w>

Last edited:

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Moar fast 20 min. sketches because i miss drawing ;w; Curse you, unit tests!!
Tsukky from gintama

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)