Japanese Movie Celebi Confirmed

i used to run crush claw often on my zangoose, 2 crush claws (the first giving the defense drop) do more damage then 2 returns, but of course there is only 50% chance of that happening.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it's not a matter of comparing 2 returns to 2 Crush Claws. The thing is you get to switch between attacks over two turns. If the guy switches in Jirachi, wether you use return or crush claw, you'll be doing jack damage. But, if you get the defense drop and then hit him with waterfall, you'll be doing a hell of a lot more than if you used return than waterfall.

edit: lol metagross

Well it's not a matter of comparing 2 returns to 2 Crush Claws. The thing is you get to switch between attacks over two turns. If the guy switches in metagross, wether you use return or crush claw, you'll be doing jack damage. But, if you get the defense drop and then hit him with waterfall, you'll be doing a hell of a lot more than if you used return than waterfall.
This example doesn't really work. There's no way you'd ever get a Defense drop on a Metagross on account of Clear Body.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
*head smack* ah duh, but you get what I mean. Put in any given steel type or normal resistance (outside empoleon), Jirachi, Skarmory, etc.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
just popping in here, but if they bring out a bulky steel to resist Crush Grip can't you just flare blitz? o____o

I can see many new Raikou sets:

Raikou@Damp Rock
Nature: Timid
EVs: 20HP/252SpAtk/236Speed or 4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
~ Rain Dance
~ Weather Ball
~ Thunder
~ HP (Grass/Ice/Ground)/ Aura Sphere

-HP Grass to deal either with Swampert and other bulky Waters; Ice for Mence, Latias, and others; Ground again for Heatran, also hits Magnezone, Lucario, Jolteon (which may be a common switch for Thunder), Metagross, Jirachi, and others. WB to strike TTar, Heatran, and others. Aura Sphere can hit TTar harder, score some damage on Heatran, Lucario, and Magnezone, and others I maybe forgot.

OR

Raikou@Choice Specs
EVs: 4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
~ Thunderbolt
~ Aura Sphere
~ HP (Grass/Ice/Ground)
~ Shadow Ball

-Works similar to SpecsJolt, except for having Aura Sphere instead of Baton Pass.

ALSO

UBERS (Maybe too fragile in that environment, but could work)
Raikou@Life Orb
EVs: 4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
~ Thunder
~ Weather Ball
~ Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball
~ HP (Grass/Ice)

-Made to work together with Kyogre's rain. Thunder for STAB and hit Kyogre, Manaphy, Ho-Oh, and Lugia. WB for Groudon, again Ho-Oh, and others. AS can hit Darkrai and Dialga, but SB has a broader coverage against Mewtwo, Mew, Lati@s, Deoxys, and Wobbuffet. HP depends: Ice kills Rayquaza, Lati@s, Shaymin-S, Giratina, Garchomp, most OUs, and Lugia; Grass hits Groudon, Kyogre, Manaphy, and some OUs usually seen.
I would like to point out that once groudon switches in WB will be fire type.
This means that you would have to switch kyogre back in to set up rain again.

Some damage calculations for ubers

HP Ice Vs. 252 HP/0 SpD groudon 49.5%- 58.4%
Aura Sphere Vs. 4 Hp/ 0 SpD darkrai 90.4%-106.7%
Thunder Vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai 90.4%-106.7%
Thunder Vs. 4 Hp / 0 SpD Kyogre 101.8%-119.9% Yay guaranteed KO
might survive if it has significant HP investment
Shadow ball Vs 4 HP/ 0 SpD latios w/ soul dew 42.4%-50.3%
Shadow Ball Vs 4 HP/ 0 SpD mewtwo 43.5%-51.4%

Based on these damage calculatios Raikou will find itself getting KO'd a lot.

Some other stuff from the same news:

"
Raikou has the moves; Zap Cannon, Aura Sphere and Weather Ball. It has the Micle Berry attached.
Entei has Flare Blitz, Howl & Crush Claw. It has the Custap Berry attached.
Finally, Suicune has Sheer Cold, Air Cutter & Aqua Ring. It has the Rowap Berry attached."

So, Howl Entei, and Aura Sphere (and Weather Ball for those that use it on RD teams) Raikou.
Suicune has... Aqua Ring I guess.
wtf Air Cutter Suicune?

What's the logical basis behind that?

We were discussing this earlier today, and I don't know how others feel, but I personally have come to the conclusion that NP Celebi will definitely want to run Psychic / Earth Power if using a Nasty Plot attacking set. I think the only thing that scares people about this set is that you don't hit Skarmory or Scizor or Tyranitar, but that simply isn't true. NP LO Earth Power is KOing Scizor with Stealth Rock support and maybe one layers of Spikes (which I am not sure is even necesarry), is likely coming close to KOing Tyranitar with the same, and NP Psychic will still be doing a fairly impressive amount against Skarmory considering it is resistant to it. The kicker is that Psychic is allowing you to OHKO Gengar, and likely KO Salamence with Stealth Rock after Nasty Plot. I'll get some damage calculations to back me up (or make me look like an idiot if I am off on my assumptions ;]) but I definitely think Psychic/Earth Power is a viable combination to consider.

I would like to point out that once groudon switches in WB will be fire type.

Why would Raikou use HP Ice on Groudon if it has Weather Ball? Just saying.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
HP Ice has the advantage of somewhat hurting Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O. You're unlikely going to use CM/Thunder/Aura/Weather Ball

I would like to point out that once groudon switches in WB (weather ball) will be fire type.

Why would Raikou use HP Ice on Groudon if it has Weather Ball? Just saying.

Read the quote your quoting next time.

Under Sun, Weather Ball is a Fire-type move with 150 BP. Hidden Power is 140 BP against Groudon at most.

But Jibaku is right, you will be using HP Ice due to the dragons anyway.

Yeah. That, and you'd want to have access to an ice move for when the weather coincidently isn't rain either.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We were discussing this earlier today, and I don't know how others feel, but I personally have come to the conclusion that NP Celebi will definitely want to run Psychic / Earth Power if using a Nasty Plot attacking set. I think the only thing that scares people about this set is that you don't hit Skarmory or Scizor or Tyranitar, but that simply isn't true. NP LO Earth Power is KOing Scizor with Stealth Rock support and maybe one layers of Spikes (which I am not sure is even necesarry), is likely coming close to KOing Tyranitar with the same, and NP Psychic will still be doing a fairly impressive amount against Skarmory considering it is resistant to it. The kicker is that Psychic is allowing you to OHKO Gengar, and likely KO Salamence with Stealth Rock after Nasty Plot. I'll get some damage calculations to back me up (or make me look like an idiot if I am off on my assumptions ;]) but I definitely think Psychic/Earth Power is a viable combination to consider.
I was running similar calcs the other day, and the results were quite surprising.

+2 LO Earth Power vs. 252/0 Tyranitar: 77.2% - 91.1% (you'll need SR + Spikes, or 2 SR switchins)
+2 LO Earth Power vs. 4/0 Tyranitar: 91.2% - 107.6% (OHKO with SR, possible OHKO without)
+2 LO Psychic vs. 252/0 Skarmory: 69.8% - 82.3% (if it Brave Birds you, it's probably dead, and if it Whirlwinds, it's as good as dead vs. your switch-in)
+2 LO Earth Power vs. 252/0 Scizor (yes I know the whole 248 thing!): 81.4% - 95.9% (you'll need SR + Spikes, or 2 SR switchins)
+2 LO Psychic vs. 4/0 Salamence: 127.2% - 149.8% (OHKO)

+2 LO Psychic vs. standard Bronzong: 18.9% - 22.2% (lol)

The kicker is that Psychic is allowing you to OHKO Gengar
You'd better hit it on the switch-in, or else it's OHKOing you with Shadow Ball (assuming LO as well). Screw Gengar, though, everyone runs Rotom-A now, which Psychic does OHKO and which you're faster than.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I guess if you don't go LO on Celebi (leftovers would be really valuable on it if you're using more as a b-passing platform), Grass Knot + HP Fire is still the way to go. Frankly, KO'ing scizor seems very important to me, since Celebi doesn't really have any way to deal with Scizor other than to attack. Against Salamence and Gengar, you could always opt to BP out of, and besides I wouldn't like to switch either of those pokemon into something that almost always carried T-Wave.

Tyranitar doesn't really matter whether you can kill it or not, because if it is locking itself into pursuit or crunch while you baton pass to Substitute Heatran, Empoleon or Magnezone, (or heck, maybe Special Luke will make a comeback with NP celebi) you're going to be causing some major havoc.

I guess the point is that B-Pass is a nice "out" of almost any potentially annoying pokemon-- except Scizor, who can really punish Celebi's B-Pass game with U-Turn. Making sure you take it out seems really important.

Still, LO Nasty Plot Psychic + Earth Power Calcs looking pretty sick.

This may be a noobish question, but how exactly would we obtain the celebi in question? I've never had an event pokemon before.

I guess if you don't go LO on Celebi (leftovers would be really valuable on it if you're using more as a b-passing platform), Grass Knot + HP Fire is still the way to go. Frankly, KO'ing scizor seems very important to me, since Celebi doesn't really have any way to deal with Scizor other than to attack. Against Salamence and Gengar, you could always opt to BP out of, and besides I wouldn't like to switch either of those pokemon into something that almost always carried T-Wave.

Tyranitar doesn't really matter whether you can kill it or not, because if it is locking itself into pursuit or crunch while you baton pass to Substitute Heatran, Empoleon or Magnezone, (or heck, maybe Special Luke will make a comeback with NP celebi) you're going to be causing some major havoc.

I guess the point is that B-Pass is a nice "out" of almost any potentially annoying pokemon-- except Scizor, who can really punish Celebi's B-Pass game with U-Turn. Making sure you take it out seems really important.

Still, LO Nasty Plot Psychic + Earth Power Calcs looking pretty sick.

Don't forget that Tyranitar could be scarfed and outrun Celebi with Pursuit/Crunch and KO anyway.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Celebi, much like latias, will be banned to ubers, with this new access to nasty plot. Despite it's myriad of weaknesses, it simply brings too much power to the metagame. As part of a short baton pass chain, it is pretty....tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)