Jellicent [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shouldn't be written until it has received 2 QC checks. Right now, the analysis should be in bullet point form.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
What the hell were you thinking when you thought Sitrus Berry would be superior to Leftovers ._.

Edit: This is not freaking doubles don't mention Sitrus Berry at all, ever, unless you're using some Belly Drum mon and Jellicent doesnt get Belly Drum in my dictionary.

I'd say timid is better as you can outspeed jolly crawdaunt and scrafty before they dd and annihilate you with knock off. Also mention megaggron as a partner as they have terrific synergy on the defensive set along with wish support for the specs set. Finally I'd say remove the slash of cursed body as then your just shat upon by suicune.
Edit: This is not freaking doubles don't mention Sitrus Berry at all, ever, unless you're using some Belly Drum mon and Jellicent doesnt get Belly Drum in my dictionary.
Harvest says hi :(

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
It's Pringles but blue!

Overview
########

- Great special bulk and utility.
- It has a unique typing.
- Buff to Knock Off and nerf to steel have made ghost type and dark type attacks very common so Jellicent has a hard time really walling anything, which is why it's mainly a niche utility pokemon.
(Expand this. In general you want to cover Stats / Ability / Typing / Movepool / Niche / Competition / Anything Else Worth Mentioning)
Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Scald
move 2: Will O' Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Recover
ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body
item: Sitrus Berry / Remove Sitrus Berry, it's terrible Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========

- Scald is a nice STAB to not be Taunt bait.
- Will O' Wisp has much more utility than Toxic in the long run and Scald's burn chance can make Toxic useless but it has its uses.
- Taunt adds even more utility to Jellicent by stopping stall in its tracks.
- Recover is reliable recovery(duh).
(mention Toxic here)
Set Details
========

- The EVs maximize special bulk while being able to outspeed Vaporeon to Taunt and taking less Stealth Rock damage.
- Sitrus Berry is much preferred over Leftovers since Jellicent, even with that much bulk, takes big chunks from super effective hits, which are basically everywhere and hard to avoid so the Sitrus Berry can let Jellicent survive a little longer. I can see why Sitrus Berry can be preferred, but move Sitrus Berry to OO and describe Leftovers here
- Water Absorb is a great ability that lets Jellicent switch in easier and wall more things but Cursed Body is also a great and annoying ability that works even better with the Sitrus Berry.

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE To get you started, mention that switching into Water-types and other resistances is a good idea. Also make sure to say that it SHOULD NOT SWITCH into physical attacks unless Absol-utely necessary

Team Options
========

- A core of Chesnaught and Jellicent is not a bad idea as they cover their weaknesses very well and give immense utility to the team.
- Add Rotom Heat to that core to deal with Crobat and find more opportunites for Jellicent to do what it does with Volt Switch.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Water Spout
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Surf / Scald
move 4: Ice Beam / Energy Ball
ability: Water Absorb
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
nature: Modest

Moves
========

- Water Spout is the main reason to use Specs Jellicent and incredibly strong.
- Shadow Ball is STAB.
- Surf or Scald is when Jellicent's Water Spout is weakened.
- Ice Beam can help out with Roserade and the likes while Energy Ball gets a special mention for Crawdaunt.

Set Details
========

Jellicent's EVs are so that it outspeeds as much as possible while hitting as hard as possible.
(Mention ability + item here)

Usage Tips
========

Try to activate Water Absorb when Water Spout is weakened.

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

Other Options
########

OTHER OPTIONS GOES HERE. STUFF LIKE ALTERNATE MOVES, ALTERNATE SETS, NICHE STUFF THAT DOESN'T GET A MAIN SET MENTION

Checks & Counters
########

-Anything with a strong enough super effective move can generally deal with Jellicent.
(Mention strong physical attackers here)
Some things to add/change/remove, see quote for details.

Guys don't go hard on him, this is probably his first analysis and remember that it is a Work In Progress

Some things to add/change/remove, see quote for details.

Guys don't go hard on him, this is probably his first analysis and remember that it is a Work In Progress
EXACTLY. I got the know-how on how to use him but not on the analysis. I said my thought process on the Sitrus and it worked better than Leftovers for me. I'm still working on it jeez! Just trying to show as much options to see if you guys agree or not.

I'd say timid is better as you can outspeed jolly crawdaunt and scrafty before they dd and annihilate you with knock off. Also mention megaggron as a partner as they have terrific synergy on the defensive set along with wish support for the specs set. Finally I'd say remove the slash of cursed body as then your just shat upon by suicune.

Harvest says hi :(
Can you explain why Mega Aggron and Jellicent have synergy? You haven't faced a Cursed Body Jellicent have you? Cursed Body Jellicent is pure evil.

Can you explain why Mega Aggron and Jellicent have synergy? You haven't faced a Cursed Body Jellicent have you? Cursed Body Jellicent is pure evil.
Maybe because Aggron can resist Grass and Jellicent resists Fire, or the fact that Aggron can take Knock Off easily? Just from what I've seen I can't take this seriously, Cursed Body is so inconsistent that it should be OO at best and it will rarely ever come into play whereas immunities are always helpful.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I guess the males are Salt and Vinegar-flavoured and the females are Prawn Coctail flavoured...
On a more serious note, the Choice Specs set's third slot should be Hydro Pump / Surf. I have forgoed Scald as it is a little lacking in power. Also, Giga Drain should be slashed in before Energy Ball as Jellicent really likes the healing it provides, and it doesn't hit for much less damage. However, this brings up the question of weather you gain any specific KOs with Energy Ball over Giga Drain. If you don't remove it.
Energy Ball gets a special mention for Crawdaunt.
lol Crawdaunt is BL. Remove this.
edit: nmd. It's UU. My bad

Crawdaunt is BL, so take it out.

Aside from that:

Other Options
########

- Cursed Body
- Physically defensive
- Sitrus Berry this isn't VGC
- Confuse Ray no
- Protect this isn't VGC
- RestTalk no

How is this in QC without checks and counters? You don't list even 1 Pokemon.

Also, Shadow Ball needs to be on the first set.

Crawdaunt is BL, so take it out.

Aside from that:

Other Options
########

- Cursed Body
- Physically defensive
- Sitrus Berry this isn't VGC
- Confuse Ray no
- Protect this isn't VGC
- RestTalk no

How is this in QC without checks and counters? You don't list even 1 Pokemon.

Also, Shadow Ball needs to be on the first set.
I only left Confuse Ray in case somebody likes hax and for some reason considers it utility. I added Hydreigon, Roserade, Heliolisk, Gastrodon, Sableye, Krookodile and Cacturne in CC.

they have synergy because aggron hates fighting and fire types who jellicent eats along with what RotomPoison touched upon also I have faced cursed body jellicent once because I am higher up on the ladder where people use water absorb your better off using disable

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Slash scald before surf on specs and toxic before scald on utility. Scald is a measley 10 base power weaker but has a nifty 30% chance to burn which can be game changing. Toxic over will-o-wisp because it helps more than burn against walls and is redundant with scalds burn rate.

move 2: Toxic
move 3: Shadow Ball / Taunt
item: Leftovers

Moves: Will-O-Wisp

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slash scald before surf on specs and toxic before scald on utility. Scald is a measley 10 base power weaker but has a nifty 30% chance to burn which can be game changing. Toxic over will-o-wisp because it helps more than burn against walls and is redundant with scalds burn rate.

I don't know. Will-O-Wisp is better utility for a utility pokemon for its ability to cripple physical attackers. You mustn't forget that Jellicent isn't so much of a wall as it is a supporter, being more similar to Ferrothorn than Blissey/Chansey (OU context in UU subforum ftw). I'd slash it more like this:
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
as Toxic is more of a wallin' 'n' stallin' attribute rather than a utility one, but it isn't bad at all on Jellicent.

When are you going to explain Shadow Ball? It may help Jellicent fend for itself but it's not supposed to. It takes away from its utility and the speed EVs are useless without Taunt.

Try Night Shade which hits for consistent 100 HP Damage. The speed is useless without taunt so remove it if you choose to go with night shade.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
you may want to mention spin blocking...considering that is the most important aspect of jelli. I'm actually surprised you managed to write an entire skeleton without mentioning it.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I mean you REALLY need to emphasize it, mention it more in usage tips and team options since spinblocking is really the only reason to use jelli

EDIT: You made it seem like an afterthought. It's not "also a good spinblocker". If you're using jelli, you use it to spinblock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)