1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Jets&Harriets (2nd genV OU RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Demoli, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Demoli

Demoli

So, after peaking at 2 with my previous sandstorm team, and since the Rain teams are no longer that much of a problem to beat, I've decided to move away from the centrelisation weather is and make a weather-less team.

Changes made after the original post will be in Red

TEAM BUILDING

So, for starters, I wanted to lay down a defensive core to protect my team from the most immediate threats, namely scarfers and boosting attempts. As such, i decided to use my favourite gen V pokemon in terms of design, Ferrothorn, a dragon type and, to cover my behind from doryuuzos and overall stall, Gliscor.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now, which Dragon would I use to complete my defensive core. I obviously need a resistence to Fire mostly, since Gliscor would already cover the fighting weakness. Still, both Fire and Fighting resists would be appreciated. As such, I decided to use a defensive calm mind Latias.

With my defensive core set in stone, i now need a strong offensive force. It had to be fast and somewhat bulky. Being able to set up would also be very nice addition. my first thought was "Chomp". However, from previous experience, It's just not possible t have a SD chomp in a metagame filled with Scarf Chomp, so, i myself decided to use a Scarfed Garchomp.

So, i got my revenge killer and overall outspeeder, but i still felt my team was very weak on the physical side. After all, Gliscor and Chomp can't carry all the weight. While at first I was more tempted to use a third dragon, but a 4th glaring weakness to ice wasn't very appealing. I thought that would add another physical threat, a set upper most preferably. My eyes were drawn to the many hearsay that cloyster is a god amongst pokemon, and sicne he 4x resists ice, why not?

All i needed was a lead. Many thoughts came across my head around this time. Scizor was appealing, but those mixtars and mixnites are becoming more and more common at the time being. One thing i new: it had to be able to switch out with Volt Change or U-Turn, deal a significant ammount of damage or Dual Screens to support cloyster's set-up. Suddently, i found an answer to it all: Rotom. I ended us using the washing machine forme, so Rotom-W.

And so did the test begin, and i quickly started some changes. Latias simply wasn't pulling it's weight, and was simply too weak offensivly to fight back most threats, specially walls and bulky mons, and was easily walled, and even worse, offensive threats easily outspeed it and KO back with SE hits. As such, i decided to replace it with it's twin, which has similar bulk and a lot more offence, hence i started using Specs Latios, with it's increadible coverage and raw power, it can certainly earn it's spot.

But now, another member started showing it's weaknesses, and that one was cloyster. He could sweep entire teams one day and completely suck the other ones. As such, i decided to look for other physical powerhouses. I almost went for Landlos, but then i remembered how weak he was outside of SS (well, not properly weak, just not strong enough), and as such, i turned another powerhouse I've used before: Terakion. As such, i decided to use a double dancing Terakion.

However, my set up sweeper just can't get rid of all the threats i wanted to get off me. Oh sure, sometimes he works, btu if i boost the wrong stat, i either sac him or let another mon take a very strong hit. Plus, Gliscor is always a pain. So I returned to the team builder and started to bang my noggin on this issue. I decided to change Terakion to another threat, but this was special. Literally, it was special based, Thundurus turned out to be a great mon, and could go above and beyond... were it not the 4-moovepool syndrome. Nasty Plot, Hidden Power, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast was the set i used, and to do so i had to not use Volt Change and Thunder Wave, bummer, Still, give a clap for Thundurus!

However, my last change, bar movesets, was on the lead spot. Rotom-W just wasn't doing it's job that well. While it would putm up the Screens, the oponent would have 2 turns to prepare itself for my assault, or even worse, prepare his own. As such, i decided i needed a scout. Again, scizor didn't work out that well, but one I, and many others, have forgotten, was Infernape. I started out by using a Swords Dance Set with dual stabs and U-Turn.

Moveset Changes

Now having my team set in stone, some of their sets just were'nt coexisting toghether very well. I scarcely got to use Swords Dance, so i dropped it in favour of Mach Punch. I also felt that Thundurus was too frail for any kind of set up, so i took away Nasty Plot and gave him new shades and a new move: Choice Specs with Volt Change for scouting. Finally , why have two Specs in one team? Latios, although very good, was usually overshooting everything. As such, I switched his Specs set for an Offensive Calm Mind set, who can dish out and take punishment.

In Depth

[​IMG]
    Tarzan (Infernape) (M) @ Lum Berry Trait: Blaze->Iron Fist
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Close Combat
    - Flare Blitz
    - Mach Punch

My usual lead. If Tyranitar comes out, I use Close Combat. Otherwise, I most likely U-Turn away Later on thought, it cleans up or punches holes cleanly through teams. He's really underrated now that Blaziken is running around, boosting his speed. Plus, he's highly unpredictable. I run lumberry because i friking hate those Borutorusos spamming thunderwave, just just Toxic in general. It also screws around with Breloom should he appear.

[​IMG]

Beyblade (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Power Whip
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed

This thing's amazing. It just walls stuff left and right. Only fearing Fire attacks and stab fighting moves. In the first few turns, i usually use Stealth Rock, but if i find some kind of switch in really obvious, specially fire types, i just Thunder Wave them. Later on, it's really fun to screw around with your opponent with both Thunder Wave and Leech Seed. Power Whip is there for powerfull Stab Move who can really hit water types.

[​IMG]

ColinFirth (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 152 HP / 52 Atk / 252 Def / 52 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt
    - Ice Fang
    - Swords Dance

My dedicated Stall breaker and physical wall, Gliscor is a though scorpion to break. Taunt shuts down stall completely, hitting even throught substitutes, giving em a chance to boost and KO them. He's also the perfect Doryuuzo counter. Annoying mole is annoying. Ice Fang is there to hit other Gliscors hard and to hit a few dragons in the switch.

[​IMG]

Penelope (Garchomp) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Hasty->Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Facade

Garchomp's back and he's stronger than ever. Well, not really, he's only as good as last gen. Is that really a problem? Of course not, Garchomp's amazing. Being as fast as a jet, he reaches great speeds with a Choice Scarf, and is my team's premier revenge killer. Outrage is only used when steels and oposing walls are removed (along with a few nuisances), Earthquake is his main stab and Fire Blast is to deal with Ferrothorn. Facade is there in case i get burned, but i scarcely use it, so I'd appreciate replacements suggestions for that spot.

[​IMG]

Raiton (Borutorosu) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Mischievous Heart
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Focus Blast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Change
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Another great scout of mine. Ground poke's are seen a mile away, so Hidden power is easily thrown away. When ground pokes are absent or are afraid to show themselves, i usually Volt Change away. Focus Miss is there for Nattorei and other pokes, but i rarely use it. I'd replace it for a Fire move, had Voltolos actually have any apart from Hidden Power... Thunderbolt is there in case i need to clean up afterwards.

[​IMG]

Megaman (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Previously a Specs user (with DM of course), calm Mind Latios proved to be very decent at sweeping, only held back by, you guessed it, Scarf Chomp (and Scarf Latios if under 2 CMs). Calm mind to boost SpA and SpD and start sweeping. Depending on the team, i either only boost once or twice, but never more than that. The moves are the standart fare. Dragon Pulse is STAB, Surf is for coverage and HP Fire is for Nattorei and other random pokes.

Notable Threats

Ice Moves and Bulky waters

My god are these a problem, specially with my nattorei down. 4/6 of my team is weak to Ice, and while Latios can survive an unstabbed ice beam (no CM) or a Stabbed ice beam with a Calm Mind under it's belt, Gliscor and garchomp are really shafted. Gliscor has no chance, and Garchomp needs to KO and same fo Boltolos. As i said before, Bulky waters are a problem without Nattorei alive.

Stall

Stall is hard to take down without many Set-upping pokes. One particular case is the friggin Shinboraa, who boosts to +6 without a single care in the world, specially without Latios or Gliscor alive.

Bronzong

The bane of my team. I don't really know why, but each time i see a Bronzong i loose. Taunt never lasts too long, Hypnosis screws me over and i never deal enough damage. Infernape kinda deals with him, and CM latios can stand up to a point, but not for too long.

So, that was it, my second RMT, what are your thoughts on this team?

2. Cerulean

Cerulean

use 252 speed EV's on thundurus. hes got a troll speed of 111 for a reason
  3. Demoli

Demoli

Yeah, and i made the calcs. Running 248 is the same as running 252, since timid 110's only reach 350Spe, Thundurus reaches 353 with timid, which means i can take a few EV's (4 to be exact) and apply them to HP. Maybe it won't make a difference, but it doesn't make a difference either in Spe. (well, maybe for tieing with other thundurus/tornados, might actually change it).
  4. Dezza Laa

Dezza Laa

Hi,

Nice team, just a few suggestions that could make it great.

MixNape is mmuch more viable in the meta game:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Naive
    Life Orb
    252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
    -Overheat
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Stone Edge

I'd add a Burungeru, seeing as how Gliscor + nattorei + Burungeru is THE perfect core. Put him over either Garchomp or Latios (more latios than chomp) seeing as they offer the same kind of thing.

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    move 1: Boiling Water
    move 2: Recover
    move 3: Will-O-Wisp
    move 4: Taunt / Ice Beam
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Water Absorb
    nature: Calm
    evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe

Next try Facade > Ice Fang on Gliscor. I think a 140BP move was meant to be abused.

Dual Chop of Chomp instead of Facade.

GL
  5. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

jolly>hasty on garchomp

you shouldnt reduce garchomps impressive defenses. fire blast hits forre/ferra/targets hard enough, and its bulk makes it as you say "amazing".

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)