Jirachi (Choice Scarf)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok, well Junior is taking a break and said that he isn't able to finish his old Jirachi edit, so I'm going to do it for him. I have all the information from the old thread from before it was deleted, so hopefully I will have this up soon. I seriously can't find a reason to use the mixed set, so I'm just leaving that out for now unless someone can convince me otherwise.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jirachi

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Ice Punch
move 2: Fire Punch / ThunderPunch
move 3: U-turn / Iron Head / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
ivs: 24 SpA
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Jirachi functions well as a check against some of the game's top threats, namely: Scizor, Gyarados, and Salamence. Jirachi outspeeds Physical Bulky Salamence (252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Speed, Jolly) even after a Dragon Dance and nets a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock with Ice Punch. This means that Jirachi is essentially guaranteed a OHKO against less defensive versions of Salamence. Jirachi always OHKOes 32 HP / 8 Def Scizor with Fire Punch and can switch in on either Swords Dance or Bullet Punch. ThunderPunch OHKOes Bulky Gyarados (156 HP / 100 Def) 20% of the time without Stealth Rock and 100% of the time with. It also always OHKOes offensive versions that do not invest heavily in HP or Defense. U-turn allows Jirachi to escape from Magnezone or Dugtrio in the event of a double switch and can be used as a scouting move. Iron Head has an amazing 60% flinch rate with Serene Grace, allowing Jirachi to KO some opponents simply by relying on luck. Zen Headbutt has the added advantage of OHKOing 4 HP Heracross, although it only has a 40% flinch rate. Trick cripples many defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, and severely reduces their ability to recover from damage, allowing Jirachi to possibly finish them off.</p>

<p>With max Attack and an Adamant nature, Jirachi OHKOes Gyarados, Salamence, and Scizor with ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, and Fire Punch respectively. With 176 Spe EVs, Jirachi outspeeds Adamant Lucario even after Tricking away its Scarf and deals a minimum of 71% damage to it with Fire Punch. Jirachi is never OHKOed by unboosted Adamant Life Orb Lucario Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into HP. Another possible EV spread is 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe with a Jolly nature. With this spread, Jirachi outspeeds max Speed Adamant Salamence after a Dragon Dance and OHKOes with Ice Punch. However, Jirachi loses many of the aforementioned OHKOes due to the drop in power.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Jirachi functions well as a check against some of the game's top threats, namely: Scizor, Gyarados, and Salamence. Iron Head has an amazing 60% flinch rate with Serene Grace, allowing Jirachi to KO some opponents simply by relying on luck. Zen Headbutt has the added advantage of OHKOing 4 HP Heracross, although it only has a 40% flinch rate. Jirachi always OHKOes 32 HP / 8 Def Scizor with Fire Punch and can switch in on either Swords Dance or Bullet Punch. ThunderPunch OHKOes Bulky Gyarados (156 HP / 100 Def) 20% of the time without Stealth Rock and 100% of the time with. It also always OHKOes offensive versions that do not invest heavily in HP or Defense. Jirachi outruns Physical Bulky Gyarados (252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Speed, Jolly) even after a Dragon Dance and nets a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock with Ice Punch. Trick cripples many defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, and severely reduces their ability to recover from damage, allowing Jirachi to possibly finish them off. U-turn allows Jirachi to escape from Magnezone or Dugtrio in the event of a double switch and can be used as a scouting move.</p>

<p>With max Attack and an Adamant nature, Jirachi OHKOes Gyarados, Salamence, and Scizor with ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, and Fire Punch respectively. With 196 Spe EVs, Jirachi outruns Jolly Mamoswine even after Tricking away its Scarf and OHKOes it 40% of the time with Iron Head if Stealth Rock is in play. The remaining EVs are placed into HP. Another possible EV spread is 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe with a Jolly nature. With this spread, Jirachi outruns max Speed Adamant Salamence after a Dragon Dance and OHKOes with Ice Punch. However, Jirachi loses many of the aforementioned OHKOes due to the drop in power.</p>
I don't think "outspeeds" is a word, but I could be wrong.

Hmm its nice, but I would suggest splitting it into two different sets as giving it different attacks completely alters the playstyle of it.

Giving it Iron Head and some punches kind of makes it a junior Metagross in a sense as Metagross has Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, ThunderPunch, and Ice Punch along with a better attack and physical movepool. I would suggest opting for something like the following as I have had decent results for it on the ladder. Besides I'm not too fond of Iron Head because Steel doesn't have that great of coverage.

- Trick
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Sure, it does not beat Gyarados, but you could just Trick a Scarf to it while it DDs and switch to something that could wall it. U-Turn would be great to get it out of a potential trap (Magnezone) and hits Celebi pretty hard.

Jolly Mamoswines are a bit uncommon (23.7% of Mamoswine sets used in October on the Standard ladder), so you might want to just opt for 176 Spd on Adamant sets to beat Adamant Lucario.

I wouldn't recommend giving it max Attack as you're losing major durability.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It technically should be out-speeds, but everyone uses outspeeds anyway and it is generally accepted on Smogon.

Max Attack is needed for the KOes on Salamence and Scizor, the two primary "revenge kills" that this set is capable of. So that is staying. I wouldn't really call 12 extra HP points "major durability" anyway. I'll drop the Speed down to 280 and put those extra EVs into HP. With those extra EVs, you really only lose 7 HP points from the spread you recommended in the other thread.

I'm rearranging the set as I type this, so comment again after I'm finished.

EDIT: FINISHED rearranging the set. You can now comment again.

With Stealth Rock being so common I don't think that max Attack would be needed to OHKO things, but that's cool. I tend to run 244 Atk on my sets because then I can get 108 HP and an extra lefties recovery if I can Trick it right.

Getting the Scarf to something else that'd cripple it or using it the entire match for yourself would alter the playstyle. You can either revenge kill >420 Spd things or >280 Spd things then and there's quite a lot of OU pokémon that can fit in that 280<x<420 Speed gap.

Edit: Ah you must've ninja edited it then.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
You can't reach 108 HP EVs if you use 244 Atk EVs unless you aren't running 280 Speed. So, I think the current EVs are fine. But you said that max Attack was ok, so I'm leaving it like that.

I'm not sure what your second point is, but I've already updated the set so that U-Turn and Trick are not in the same slot.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
That was another thing that I took issue with in the other thread. What exactly does Body Slam accomplish on a Choice Scarf set? You lose coverage, you are already faster than everything, and it takes up a moveslot that would be better used for something else.

Yes, you could argue that it "supports" the team, but there really isn't any room for it on this set. It's better left to other sets.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
the standard DD mence uses adamant with 252 speed evs which outruns jirachi after a dd (correct me if im wrong). Jirachi needs to outspeed mence after a DD.

Your Jirachi really wants a reliable STAB. Iron Head / Zen Headbutt should go first over U-turn / Trick IMHO. If you opt for Iron Head, its 60% flinch rate can be effectively abused with Choice Scarf.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just some minor nitpicks:
I think the first two slots should be up to personal preference and all punches should be mentioned in both slots depending on what you want to cover, ie:
Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
instead of:
Ice Punch
Fire Punch / Thunder Punch

Also i think Iron head should be the first slash because the 60% flinch is what makes scarf jirachi so good.

It CAN run a Band set, with all those moves, It has Great type Coverage.

this set could also work

t Punch
I punch
f punch
U-turn(for Psychics AND TTar)

So can we do full revamps here since I wasn't able to find any other threads? Body Slammin Counter needs a rewrite as well as EV tweaks for Platinum and Garchompless OU. Is Bolt/Ice punch what is needed there since Heatran/Scizor are the top 2 and also USUALLY can switch in on Jirachi. Sure it has great coverage but that set isn't about coverage rather hitting specific faster threats.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in the middle of writing a full revamp alongside Chris is Me for Jirachi, but since neither of us is badged we can't actually reserve it. That said, it is in the process of being made, and it will probably be including this set.

Ive been running scarf trick Rachi with
SR
Trick (obviously)
Iron Head
Body Slam
works pretty good and can function as a good revenge killer/late game threat if it still has the scarf. I think it has enough speed to outrun +1 adamant mence. max attack, rest in hp. I may try out one of your sets though.

I've used this set on a few teams, and I can definitely vouch for it's usefulness. It's not a hard hitter (obviously), but it's always useful and serves it's purpose.

Zen Headbutt seems to be less and less useful as time goes on. The old physical Jirachi wisher which could switch into Adamant CB Hera, take a hit, and OHKO it with Zen Headbutt was neat, but times are different now and Zen Headbutt seems too niche. Iron Head outclasses it.

There could be a mention regarding how good of an anti-lead this set is, though. There's nothing like ruining the many focus sash leads on turn one with an Iron Head flinch. Pretty much every one of them (excepting Infernape) gets 2HKOd too, so they can't even stay in after turn one. The only issue is that if you end up killing something immediately, Magnezone will often be there to revenge you.

But yeah, as for the counters, the only real threat it poses to bulky pokemon who aren't taking a 4x weak hit is trick. Heatran and Swampert both wall it silly as well as directly threaten it. As an added bonus, most Heatran don't even have to worry about trick as they carry choice scarves of their own.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps a 4 HP / 252 Att 252 Spd, Jolly nature set should also be included in other options. This way, you at least tie with speed against a DD boosted Naive Salamance, improving Jiracho's effectiveness as a Salamance counter. After you have Tricked away your Scarf, this EVs are also useful for outspeeding Jolly Lucario and at least tieing with Timid Zapdos and non DD boosted Salamance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)