Doubles Jirachi

Overview:
  • Jirachi doesn't flinch Pokemon to death with Iron Head, it offers flinching support so its partners can move more freely.
  • Your Prose is kinda awkward. Maybe look it over a few more times before you send it to GP.
Set:
  • Move Icy Wind / Thunder Wave to slot 2 and Protect / Safeguard to slot 4 because speed control is way more important.
Set Details:
  • Take out the Trick Room mention, as there are way better users with lower Speeds. You can put it in OO tho.
  • What do the Speed EVs accomplish?
Usage Tips:
Jirachi should be used only for Follow Me
  • Don't say that.
  • The point of Iron Head isn't to flinch Pokemon to death, it is to Flinch whichever opposing Pokemon is most threatening to give its partner more offensive liberty.
You can also use Follow Me for other purposes, like getting a Substitute up.
  • Note that it let's its partner set up Substitutes (and add other boosting moves).
  • When you talk about double targeting, add that it is because Jirachi uses follow me, that it becomes prone to double targeting more than normal.
  • Don't Icy Wind spam with Bisharp around!!!
Team Options:
  • Once again, I wouldn't recommend Jirachi for Trick Room teams, when there are slower Follow Me/Rage Powder users out there.
  • I wouldn't necessarily mention Frail Attackers, as all attackers appreciate its support.
  • Take out the flinching partners with Shaymin-S, as no team deserves to face that cancer.
Checks & Counters:
  • Take out the psychic mention as it is not in the set.
  • Mention that Landoge/Garchomp have to avoid Icy Wind on the switch in.
  • Add Heatran to the fire-type list.
  • Bisharp can switch into Icy Wind and wreck. It also threatens Jirachi with a STAB Knock Off.
  • List Specific Dark- and Ghost-types as well as Taunt, Disable, Spread Moves, and Encore users (preferably ones that resist Iron Head).
  • Mega Gengar traps and reqs it as long as it avoids speed control getting in.

Sorry for the delay Lolk, I got your changes.
The Speed EVs outspeed Max Speed Bisharp and Breloom.

• When you talk about double targeting, add that it is because Jirachi uses follow me, that it becomes prone to double targeting more than normal.
  • Don't Icy Wind spam with Bisharp around!!!
I'm not sure how to word these phrases but I tried to do it, correct me if I'm wrong
I'll take one more look at the prose l8r before I ask for another QC check, thx for the help

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First off, from a grammar point of view, it's better to not use the word "also" so often. You've even mentioned it in 3 consecutive sentences in the overview. A bit of variety with sentences is nice,

Overview
-It also has access to other various support moves, such as Helping Hand and Thunder Wave, which can come in handy when your teammate needs a boost. What is underlined is too vague and doesn't add anything. We already know they provide support because you have identified them as support moves. Also, you've only mentioned Helping Hand in AC. So I would mention it can provide speed support (Icy Wind and Thunder Wave), and then mention Safeguard as team support to protect the team from status (Helping Hand has a slash). You may then mention Helping Hand should you wish to provide an offensive boost to a teammate, but it's optional as it's only AC.
and has a large moveset, allowing it to fill lots of roles.
Misleading since almost every Jirachi runs a supporter set. It'd be best to omit this, or mention in the second paragraph that whilst it has a large moveset, it can only run one role effectively (you've already said the latter in the second paragraph)
-mention Serence Grace when mentioning flinch support with Iron Head

Moves - mention Protect and Safeguard after the other moves. They are the least important moves after all

Usage tips - you've mentioned how to use it, but how you've order everything seems to distribute the importance of its roles inaccurately
-jirachi is firstmost used as a supporter. it's main role as a supporter is to redirect attacks away from your teammates, which may also have the benefit of allowing your partner to get a Sub or set up move. other support it provides is speed control. then flinch support and offensive support only if hits super-effectively
-then mention it can be used as a pivot - add this is due to the its resists
-then mention that due to follow me, jirachi is more prone to double targetting. then mention protect to shield itself from this.

Team options
-Jirachi does not get past Poison-types - it is ineffective at KOing them. It merely makes them much less threatening through its support options, most notably Follow Me
-Water-types make a better teammates more so because they hand Fire- and Ground-types instead of the speed support. How you've worded it suggests that they make better partners more so because of the speed support (they don't benefit that much from it) which is incorrect
-Mention Gyarados - it not only handles Fire- and Ground-types, but it appreciates Follow Me to help set up a DD, whilst Jirachi can also check Fairy-types for Mega Gyarados
-
Azumarill and Kyurem-B can defeat all of Jirachi's common enemies, and in return Jirachi can redirect all their super effective moves with ease.
big call saying they defeat all of Jirachi's common enemies (and I call bs - Aegislash). Say many instead, and give examples of common enemies
-Sylveon also enjoys TWave support
-Can also mention at the end that Kangakshan and Gyarados appreciate Safeguard to protect themselves from burn

OO
-if you want to mention that Jirachi has a large support movepool, here is the place
-mention Trick Room. Pocket has already suggested it twice, and I agree with him

Checks and Counters
-Bisharp OHKOs Jirachi with Knock Off. Always mention OHKO instead of a more vague term like destroy if said Pokemon does get the OHKO
-You can remove Disable, it's not common enough to warrant the mention and it's not a particularly large problem to Jirachi.
-Mention Sub in utility moves to protect Pokemon from Icy Wind/Thunder Wave. Jirachi is set-up bait for Pokemon who also resist Iron Head. Stand out users are Heatran, Thundurus-I, and Aegislash
-most spread moves are not effective against Jirachi. It's mainly Heat Wave and Earthquake, which are the two most common spread moves. However, you are completely right in mentioning that spread moves bypass Follow Me.

I've been quite harsh with terms and technicalities as you can tell U-Turn Out . This took me a while :)

Last edited:

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
add / remove / comment

Overview
########

Jirachi is a strong contender as a support Pokemon in Doubles. With access to the coveted Follow Me, Jirachi can easily support its teammates by redirecting attacks to Jirachi itself, which can sponge sponging most attacks easily with thanks to its resistances and immunities. It also has access to other various support moves, such as Helping Hand and Thunder Wave, which can come in handy when if your teammate needs a boost. Jirachi also has a balanced stat spread,(AC) along with having granting it great bulk. It can also provide flinch support with Iron Head and has a large moveset movepool, allowing it to fill lots of roles.

Regardless of its high points, Jirachi still has some its problems. The same typing that gives it lots of resistances opens up weaknesses to common attacking moves in Doubles,(RC) such as Heat Wave and Earthquake. It is weak and can easily be set up fodder. (didn't you just say it had great bulk? Try to stay consistent) It can also only run 1 one set well. Despite the weaknesses, Jirachi is still a great supporter in the Doubles metagame.

Follow Me
########
name: Follow Me
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Protect / Safeguard
ability: Serene Grace
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Follow Me is key to the set, redirecting powerful attacks aimed at your teammate to Jirachi, which can easily take those attacks taking them with ease. Protect is a great move for Jirachi, as it can scout for attacks and avoid stunt double targeting in case the opponent wants to get rid of Jirachi quickly. It also allows Jirachi's teammate to take out troublesome Pokemon while Jirachi takes no damage. Safeguard can also be used if your team is weak to status. Iron Head is a way of getting off dealing damage, and also has a nice 60% chance of flinching your opponent thanks to Serene Grace. It also prevents Jirachi from being Taunt bait. Icy Wind gives Jirachi a way of speed control by slowing down the opponent's Pokemon and giving Jirachi a way of hitting its common switch-(hyphen)ins hard, such as Garchomp and Landorus-T. Icy Wind also allows your teammate to outspeed the switch-(hyphen)in and nail it with an attack. Thunder Wave can be used instead of Icy Wind for paralyzing the opponent,(RC) as well as forming a ParaFlinch combo with Iron Head.

Set Details
========

Serene Grace is an amazing ability,(AC) as it allows Jirachi to get past Pokemon by flinching them to death with Iron Head. Helping Hand can be used to provide power to your Jirachi's teammates. Sitrus Berry provides Jirachi with recovery and can potentially let it avoid a KO. The current EV spread allows Jirachi to always survive LO Life Orb Bisharp's Sucker Punch in case Jirachi wants to go for the Iron Head flinch. It also allows Jirachi to outspeed max Speed Bisharp and Breloom and hit it them with an Iron Head or Thunder Wave. Another EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD, as it always lets Jirachi survive Modest Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave. Careful Nature works best to maximize the amounts of special hits Jirachi can take.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is used as a supporter and pivot, so do not use it for offensive pressure unless it hits something super-(remove hyphen)effectively. Jirachi should also be sent out used when you need to redirect attacks away from your its teammates. It's also great at supporting your teams with Speed Control control. Hitting a threat with a Thunder Wave or Icy Wind on the switch-in is really nice since useful, as you can finish off the slowed Pokemon can be finished off with your by a teammate or flinched them to death with Jirachi Iron Head. You can also use Follow Me for other purposes, like allowing to allow your partner to get behind a Substitute or a begin setting setup move up. If you suspect a double target on Jirachi, you can use Protect to shield Jirachi it from the attacks and get damage retaliate with your other Jirachi's untouched Pokemon partner on your opponent's Pokemon. However, because of Follow Me, Jirachi is more prone to double targeting, so keep that in mind.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate Follow Me support and Speed Control control greatly benefit from Jirachi's support. Setup Sweepers sweepers,(RC) such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Charizard X appreciate the redirection of powerful moves aimed at them, which that give them results in a free turn to set up and sweep. Bulkier Attackers attackers like such as Rotom-W like avoiding Super Effective super effective attacks and can help defeat Jirachi's common enemies. Sylveon appreciates that redirection of Poison-(hyphen) and Steel-type attacks and can clear out Dark-types for Jirachi, while Jirachi can also get past Poison-types that Sylveon struggles with. (you already described Jirachi's role) Water-types such as Politoed and Rotom-W (didn't you already mention Rotom-W?) synergizes well with Jirachi and appreciate Speed Control control support. Water-types can also destroy Fire-(hyphen) and Ground-(hyphen)types that Jirachi hates. Politoed can even provide Rain rain to weaken Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Azumarill and Kyurem-B can defeat all of Jirachi's common enemies, and in return,(AC) Jirachi can redirect all their super effective moves with ease. Kyurem-B is also can be protected from confusion when it uses after using Outrage if Safeguard is up. Basically, anything that likes Jirachi's ability to provide Follow Me support and Speed Control will be a great partner. (You said this in the first sentence)

Other Options
########

Safety Goggles can be used to redirect Spores without falling asleep. It also lets you Jirachi ignore Rage Powder. Lum Berry is another option to avoid all status moves aimed at Jirachi for 1 time once. A Scarfed Choice Scarf set can be used for the surprise factor, but is not advised because it removes Jirachi's unique ability to provide Speed Control control and Follow Me support. Weather Moves moves can be used if you need backup weather support, but it is generally not worth the spot. Body Slam or Thunder can be used to provide Speed Control control,(AC) but their 40% chance to not paralyze hurts their supporting capabilities. Jirachi can set up Dual Screens, can be used but Jirachi is it's generally outclassed in setting up Dual Screens by Klefki and Cresselia. Stealth Rock, while generally not used in Doubles, can be used if you have a spare spot to cripple the Fire-(hyphen)types switch-(hyphen)ins. Healing Wish can bring a weak Pokemon to full health to clean up late-(hyphen)game, although it is a one time use and lets sacrifices Jirachi faint after Healing Wish is used. U-Turn can be used to scout for moves and to possibly switch into a potential threat to your opponent's team safely. Finally, Skill Swap can be a cool move to use, as Skill Swapping Serene Grace to your teammates can be useful to get extra side effects for your partner's moves more often. You can even use Skill Swap away to steal abilities from Pokemon who that rely on their abilities them to succeed,(RC) such as Mega Kangaskhan. Trick Room is a nice form of Speed control, and since Jirachi is the only user of Follow Me and Trick Room, so it can utilize these traits to be a decent Trick Room setter.(add period)

Checks and Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Fire-types such as Charizard Y, Heatran, and Talonflame can have a easy easily switch(add space)in (jsyk, the difference between using a hyphen here: a Pokemon can "switch in" or it can attack "on the switch-in") to Jirachi and can easily deal heavy amounts of damage to Jirachi. Ground-Types such as Garchomp and Landorus-T can easily scare out Jirachi with a STAB Earthquake,(AC) but must avoid Icy Wind on the switch-in. Dark-types and Ghost-types such as Bisharp and Aegislash can hit Jirachi super effectively,(AC) for a ton of damage but must be careful, as Iron Head can deal good damage against some of them. Bisharp is probably one of Jirachi's best counters, as its Attack is doubled if Jirachi's Icy Winds and hits Bisharp, as well as easily being able making it easy to destroy Jirachi with Knock Off or Sucker Punch. (after a boost, either will sweep away Jirachi) Mega Gengar can trap Jirachi and hit it with a powerful Shadow Ball as long as it avoids Speed Control Jirachi's Speed control on the switching-in.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Disable, and Encore are annoying, especially if you're when using Thunder Wave Jirachi, because without Follow Me and at least some method of speed control, Jirachi is a can't do much in the battle inevitably walled.

**Miscellaneous**: Most spread moves are super effective against Jirachi and can do serious damage to Jirachi. Spread moves also render Follow Me useless,(AC) as they can hit both Jirachi and Jirachi's its teammate.

note that not everything referring to a Pokemon's role has to be capitalized, even at the beginning of a sentence (i.e: if the first two words of the sentence are "bulkier attackers" then "Bulkier" should be capitalized, but not "attackers" meaning the following are incorrect: "Bulkier Attackers", "Setup Sweepers") and every time you reference a type, such as "Fire-type," whether it be in a list or standalone, it must have a hyphen. (i.e: "I like Fire-types," "I like Ghost-, Psychic-, and Electric-types," and "Ground- and Flying-types are the coolest" are all correct)

GP 1/2

Lumari

thinking of a place
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments)
Overview
########

Jirachi is a strong contender as a support Pokemon in Doubles. With access to the coveted Follow Me, Jirachi can easily support its teammates by redirecting attacks to itself, sponging most attacks thanks to its resistances and immunities. It also has access to other various support moves, such as Helping Hand and Thunder Wave, which can come in handy if your its teammate needs a boost. Jirachi also has a balanced stat spread, granting it great bulk. It can also provide flinch support with Iron Head and has a large moveset, allowing it to fill lots of roles.

Regardless of its high points, Jirachi still has its problems. The same typing that gives it lots of resistances opens up weaknesses to common attacking moves in Doubles such as Heat Wave and Earthquake. It can also only run one set well. Despite the weaknesses, Jirachi is still a great supporter in the Doubles metagame. (contentless, generic closures should be avoided)

Follow Me
########
name: Follow Me
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Protect / Safeguard
ability: Serene Grace
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Follow Me is key to the set, redirecting redirects powerful attacks aimed at your a teammate to Jirachi, taking which can take them with ease. Protect is a great move for allows Jirachi, as it can to (too much fluff here: it's apparent Follow Me is key to the set if the set is named after it, Protect had better be a great move for Jirachi if you're using it, etc. You should only mention stuff that contains actual information ^_^) scout for attacks and stunt double targeting in case the opponent wants to get rid of Jirachi quickly. It also allows Jirachi's teammate to take out troublesome Pokemon while Jirachi takes no damage. Safeguard can also be used if your team is weak to status. Iron Head is a way of dealing damage, (RC) and also has a nice 60% chance of flinching your Jirachi's ('you' refers to the player only) opponent thanks to Serene Grace. It also prevents Jirachi from being Taunt bait. Icy Wind gives Jirachi a way of speed control by slowing down the opponent's Pokemon and giving Jirachi and its teammate a way of outspeeding and hitting its common switch-ins hard, such as Garchomp and Landorus-T. Icy Wind also allows your teammate to outspeed the switch-in and nail it with an attack. Thunder Wave can be used instead of Icy Wind for paralyzing the opponent as well as forming a ParaFlinch combo with Iron Head.

Set Details
========

Serene Grace is an amazing ability, as it allows doubles the chances of secondary effects occurring, allowing Jirachi to get past Pokemon by flinching them to death with Iron Head. Helping Hand can be used to provide power to Jirachi's teammates. Sitrus Berry provides Jirachi with recovery and can potentially let it avoid a KO. (can you mention any notable one?) The current given EV spread allows Jirachi to always survive Life Orb Bisharp's Sucker Punch in case Jirachi wants to go for the Iron Head flinch. It also allows Jirachi to outspeed max Speed Bisharp and Breloom and hit them with an Iron Head or Thunder Wave. Another EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD, as it always lets Jirachi survive Modest Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave. A Careful Nature works best to maximize the amounts of special hits Jirachi can take.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is used as a supporter and pivot, so do not use it for offensive pressure unless it hits something super effectively. Jirachi should also be used when you need to redirect attacks away from its teammates. It's also great at supporting teams with speed control. Hitting a threat with a Thunder Wave or Icy Wind on the switch-in is useful, as the slowed Pokemon can be finished off by a teammate or flinched to death with Iron Head. You Jirachi can also use Follow Me for other purposes, like such as to allow your its partner to get behind a Substitute or begin setting up. If you suspect a double target on Jirachi, you can use Protect to shield it from the attacks and retaliate with Jirachi's untouched Pokemon partner. However, because of Follow Me, Jirachi is more prone to double targeting, so keep that in mind.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate Follow Me support and speed control greatly benefit from Jirachi's support. Setup sweepers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Charizard X appreciate the redirection of powerful moves aimed at them, which results in a free turn to set up and sweep. Bulkier attackers such as Rotom-W like avoiding super effective attacks and can help defeat Jirachi's common enemies. Sylveon appreciates redirection of Poison- and Steel-type attacks and can clear out Dark-types for Jirachi. Water-types such as Politoed synergize well with Jirachi and appreciate speed control support. Water-types can also destroy Fire- and Ground-types that Jirachi hates. Politoed can even provide rain to weaken Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Azumarill and Kyurem-B can defeat all of Jirachi's common enemies, and in return, Jirachi can redirect all their super effective moves aimed at them. Kyurem-B is also protected from confusion after using Outrage if Safeguard is up.

Other Options
########

Safety Goggles can be used to redirect Spores without falling asleep. It also lets Jirachi ignore Rage Powder. Lum Berry is another option to avoid all status moves aimed at Jirachi once. A Choice Scarf set can be used for the surprise factor, but it is not advised because it removes Jirachi's unique ability to provide speed control and Follow Me support. Weather moves can be used if you need backup weather support, but it is generally not worth the spot moveslot. (clarification) Body Slam or Thunder can be used to provide speed control, but their 40% chance not to not paralyze hurts their supporting capabilities. Jirachi can set up dual screens, but it's generally outclassed by Klefki and Cresselia in this role. Stealth Rock, while generally not used in Doubles, can be used if you have a spare spot to cripple the Jirachi's Fire-type switch-ins. Healing Wish can bring a weak Pokemon to full health to clean up late-game, although it is a one-time (add hyphen) use and sacrifices Jirachi. U-turn (you should get a name change imo n_n) can be used to scout for moves and switch into a potential threat to your opponent's team safely. Skill Swap can be a cool move to use, as Skill Swapping Serene Grace to your teammates can be useful to get extra (redundant with 'more often') side effects for your partner's moves more often. You Jirachi can even use Skill Swap to steal abilities from Pokemon that rely on them to succeed, (AC) such as Mega Kangaskhan. Trick Room is a nice form of speed control, and since because (while causal 'since' isn't wrong, it's unexpectedly tricky to use correctly, so it's better to just stick with 'because' or 'as') Jirachi is the only user of Follow Me and Trick Room, t it can utilize these traits to be a decent Trick Room setter.

Checks and Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Talonflame have a easy can easily switch in and deal heavy amounts of damage to Jirachi. Ground-Types such as Garchomp and Landorus-T can scare out Jirachi with a STAB Earthquake, but they must avoid Icy Wind on the switch-in. Dark-types and Ghost-types such as Bisharp and Aegislash can hit Jirachi super effectively, but they must be careful, as Iron Head can deal good damage against some of them. Bisharp is probably one of Jirachi's best counters, as its Attack is doubled if Jirachi's Icy Wind hits Bisharp it, making it easy to destroy Jirachi with Knock Off or Sucker Punch. Mega Gengar can trap Jirachi and hit it with a powerful Shadow Ball as long as it avoids Jirachi's speed control switch-in move when switching in. (didn't really make sense to me but I think this is what you meant)

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Disable, and Encore are annoying when using Thunder Wave Jirachi, because without Follow Me and some method of speed control, Jirachi is inevitably walled crippled.

**Miscellaneous**: Most spread moves are super effective against Jirachi. Spread moves also render Follow Me useless, (AC) as they can hit both Jirachi and its teammate.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
done :)
the only problem i had is that there weren't any specific calcs that i could use for the stirus berry comment, should i just remove it?

Lumari

thinking of a place
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
done :)
the only problem i had is that there weren't any specific calcs that i could use for the stirus berry comment, should i just remove it?
nah you can keep it (that's what sitrus berry does after all), it's just that statements like that appreciate examples :) sitrus isn't exactly a controversial option though, so it can do without just fine.
(don't forget to update the title btw)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)