Jirachi (Specially Defensive)

As I said in previous posts, I personally find Scofield's set to be more effective than the one proposed in the OP. With that being said, I'd like to know if the poster (Kaxtar) is still down to write this, and if so, I'd like him to contact Scofield (if necessary) in order to get some input as to how this set should be played, used, and any other relevant detail that the person who created it can add.
I can write this up. I'll continue testing the physical attack variant, and contact Scofield should I need any more information.

Also, should I give a mention of special attacks in the AC? While Scofield's set is better, the one in the OP still does have some merit over the physical version, and I feel it is at least worthy of a sentence or two.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, should I give a mention of special attacks in the AC? While Scofield's set is better, the one in the OP still does have some merit over the physical version, and I feel it is at least worthy of a sentence or two.
Briefly.

The OP has yet to be updated to the Physical variant let alone the lack of activity. If you still maintain interest in writing this set, Update the OP and try to write this up ASAP

The OP has yet to be updated to the Physical variant let alone the lack of activity. If you still maintain interest in writing this set, Update the OP and try to write this up ASAP
I just updated the OP, sorry for the delay. However, I still need QC approval for this set to pass quality control, of course. In the mean time, I am writing this, and it should be up sometime this weekend.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tbh, I dont see why anyone would use this set if they Specifically had problems with those 3 pokes.
Why would I use this to counter them when I can use Snorlax with pursuit?

Sub would be beneficial IMO. However, I'll say that with 36 speed EVs you reach 245 speed. 244 out-speeds max speed Jolly T-Tar. Therefore, this EV spread works better:
252 HP, 228 SpDef, 32 Spe

I think that an Iron Head/U-Turn/Thunder Wave/Wish would work better, as you can TWave almost anything that switches in, and then U-Turn into an efficent counter (U-Turn also deals "super effective" damage on Starmie)

Bye!

Now written up. Sorry for the length, but there is a lot to say about Specially Defensive Jirachi. Ready for GP checks!

I have asked Kaxtar to concise this substantially before it receives any GP checks.

EDIT: Kaxtar has shortened this to a manageable length, so I've added it to the queue.

grammar edits are pink
prose edits are blue

[box]name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Thunder Wave / Body Slam
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Wish / Protect
move 4: Fire Punch
nature: Careful
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Careful nature and a large investment in both Special Defense and HP, Jirachi is able to switch into any special attacker except strong Fire-types and avoid being 2HKO’d. Anything else, from Life Orb Starmie to Choice Specs Jolteon, will not manage a 2HKO. The only other Pokemon who can come close to this level of special bulk is Blissey, who is set-up fodder for anything, and subsequently grinds the momentum of more offensive teams to a screeching halt. However, unlike Blissey, specially defensive Jirachi can not switch into Special attackers all day long; Jirachi must use Wish whenever it can afford to do so to stay healthy. Therefore, Jirachi is a check to special attackers, not a hard counter, and must be played as such.</p>

<p>The crux of this set is Thunder Wave. By paralyzing foes, Jirachi becomes faster than its opponents and can repeatedly flinch the opposing Pokemon by abusing Iron Head with paralysis. Each turn, Jirachi recovers a portion of its health thanks to Leftovers, and can use Wish to immediately regain 50% of its health. Speaking of Iron Head, it helps Jirachi buy itself turns until it can safely use Wish. It is also Jirachi’s strongest attack, and while not that powerful, Iron Head's damage output won't matter after a few hits. Wish is Jirachi’s healing move, and it works well with Iron Head and Thunder Wave. Wish can also help Jirachi support its team later in the game. Lastly, Fire Punch helps Jirachi by hitting foes who resist Iron Head and prevents Jirachi from becoming set-up fodder for such opponents. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs prevent Jirachi from being 2HKO’d by a myriad of threatening special attackers, including but not limited to Life Orb Gengar and Lead Azelf. The HP EVs provide Jirachi a good amount of physical bulk. Jirachi can also act as a one-time stop to many physical stat-uppers because it can switch in and paralyze the stat booster so that the rest of your team can take out the weakened and paralyzed opponent. 32 Speed EVs let Jirachi outspeed Jolly 252 Tyranitar, allowing you to Iron Head it before it can hit you with a Choice Banded Earthquake.</p>

<p>If your team has a problem with Pokemon immune to Thunder Wave, Body Slam can be used for a 60% chance to paralyze them; be warned, however, that Jirachi will lose its ability to check Rotom-A. If you have a big problem with Choice users, you can opt to run Protect over Wish. Protect is a useful move to scout the move Choice item users lock themselves into. Jirachi can also run an EV spread of 176 HP / 136 SpA / 176 SpD / 20 Spe along with a Calm nature and a moveset of Psychic, Thunderbolt, Wish and Icy Wind. These changes will allow Jirachi to better handle Starmie, Jolteon and Dragon-types. However, Jirachi loses a significant portion of its bulk and the ability to combat most physical threats due to the lack of Thunder Wave. Only choose to run this variant if your team really struggles with Starmie and Jolteon.</p>

<p>Sandstorm helps Jirachi when trying to stall opponents. This makes Tyranitar and Hippowdon prized teammates for their Sand Stream abilities. In order for Jirachi to win against Starmie, Jirachi needs a fair amount of luck. Jirachi also loses to Jolteon because Jirachi can not paralyze it; therefore, back-up checks to Jolteon and Starmie can come in handy. Tyranitar again is useful, as it can survive an attack and retaliate with a strong STAB’ed Crunch. The only special attackers Jirachi can not reliably stand up to are Fire-types, so bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon are great teammates. Finally, defensive Water-types can stall out Jirachi, so an Electric or Grass-type teammate will come in handy; good candidates for this role include Rotom-A and Shaymin, respectively. Use Jirachi on Semi-Stall and bulky offensive teams. Typically, both of these team styles fare poorly against fast and powerful special attackers, and will therefore the Wish and paralysis support that Jirachi offers.</p>
[/box]

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
note: Faldaran's above check is not an official GP check, so this is the first.

removals in red
additions in bold
name: Specially Defensive

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Careful nature and a large investments in both Special Defense and HP, Jirachi is able to switch into any special attacker, bar except strong Fire-types, and avoid without being 2HKOed. Anything else, from Life Orb Starmie’s Hydro Pump to Choice Specs Jolteon's Thunderbolt, will not manage a 2HKO. The only other Pokemon who can come close to this level of special bulk is Blissey, who is set-up fodder for anything, and subsequently grinds the momentum of more offensive teams to a screeching halt. However, unlike Blissey, specially defensive Jirachi cannot switch into special attackers all day long; Jirachi must use Wish whenever it can afford to do so in order to stay healthy. Therefore, Jirachi is a check, not a hard counter, to special attackers, not a hard counter, and must be played as such.</p>

<p>The crux of this set is Thunder Wave. By paralyzing its foes, Jirachi becomes faster than its opponents them, letting it and can repeatedly flinch the opposing Pokemon by abuse Iron Head’s 60% flinch rate in tandem with paralysis. Each turn, Jirachi recovers a portion of its health thanks to Jirachi can keep itself in good condition with the steady recovery from Leftovers, and after a few turns of this, it can while periodically using Wish to quickly regain 50% of its health. Speaking ofIron Head, ithelps Jirachi buy itself turns until it can safely use Wish. It is also Jirachi’s strongest attack, and, while not that powerful, its low damage output won't matter after a few hits. Wish is Jirachi’s healing move, and it works well with Iron Head and Thunder Wave. Wish can also help Jirachi support its team later in the game. Lastly, Fire Punch helps Jirachi by hitting foes who resist Iron Head, preventing Jirachi from becoming set-up fodder for such against these opponents. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs prevent Jirachi from being 2HKOed by a myriad of threatening special attackers, including, but not limited to, Life Orb Gengar and Lead Azelf. The HP EVs provide Jirachi with a good amount of physical bulk. Jirachi can also act as a one-time stop to many physical stat-uppers, because it can switch in and paralyze the stat booster, allowing so that the rest of your team can to take it out the weakened and paralyzed opposing Pokemon. 32 Speed EVs let Jirachi outspeed Jolly 252 max Speed Tyranitar, allowing Jirachi to Iron Head Tyranitar before it can hit Jirachi with a Choice Band-boosted Earthquake.</p>

<p>If your team has a problem with Pokemon who are immune to Thunder Wave, Body Slam can be used instead, for sporting a 60% chance of paralysis to paralyze them; be warned, however, that Jirachi will lose its ability to check Rotom-A if it runs Body Slam. If you have a big problem with Choice users, you can opt to run Protect over Wish.Protectis a useful move that may be used over Wish in order to scout the moveChoice item users lock themselves into. Jirachi can also run an EV spread of 176 HP / 136 SpA / 176 SpD / 20 Spe along with a Calm nature and a moveset of Psychic, Thunderbolt, Wish, and Icy Wind. These changes will allow Jirachi to better handle Starmie, Jolteon and Dragon-types. However, Jirachi loses a significant portion of its bulk and the ability to combat most physical threats due to the lack of Thunder Wave. Only choose to run this variant if your team really struggles with Starmie and Jolteon.</p>

<p>Sandstorm helps Jirachi when it is trying to stall opponents., making Tyranitar and Hippowdon prized important teammates for their because of their Sand Stream abilities. In order for Jirachi to win against Starmie, Jirachi needs a fair amount of luck. Jirachi also loses to Jolteon because Jirachi cannot paralyze it; therefore, back-up checks to Jolteon and Starmie can come in handy. Tyranitar again is useful, as it can survive an attack from either and retaliate with a strong STAB Crunch. The only special attackers whom Jirachi cannot reliably stand up to are Fire-types, so bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon are great teammates. Finally, defensive Water-types can stall out Jirachi, so an Electric- or Grass-type teammate will come in handy; good candidates for this role include Rotom-A and Shaymin, respectively. Use Jirachi on semi-stall and bulky offensive teams; typically, both of these team styles fare poorly against fast and powerful special attackers, and will therefore appreciate the Wish and paralysis support that Jirachi offers.</p>

GP CHECK 1/2

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Specially Defensive

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Careful nature and large investments in both Special Defense and HP, Jirachi is able to switch into any special attacker, bar strong Fire-types, without being 2HKOed. Anything else, from Life Orb Starmie’s Hydro Pump to Choice Specs Jolteon's Thunderbolt will not manage a 2HKO. The only other Pokemon who can come close to this level of special bulk is Blissey, who is set-up fodder for anything and grinds the momentum of more offensive teams to a screeching halt. However, unlike Blissey, specially defensive Jirachi cannot switch into special attackers all day long; Jirachi must use Wish whenever it can afford to do so in order to stay healthy. Therefore, Jirachi is a check, not a hard counter, to special attackers and must be played as such.</p>

<p>The crux of this set is Thunder Wave. By paralyzing its foes, Jirachi becomes faster than them, letting it abuse Iron Head's 60% flinch rate in tandem with paralysis. Jirachi can keep itself in good condition with the steady recovery from Leftovers while periodically using Wish to quickly regain 50% of its health. Iron Head helps Jirachi buy itself turns until it can safely use Wish. It is also Jirachi’s strongest attack, and while not that powerful, its low damage output won't matter after a few hits. Wish is Jirachi’s healing move, and works well in conjunction with with Iron Head and Thunder Wave. Wish can also help Jirachi support its team later in the game. Lastly, Fire Punch helps Jirachi by hitting foes who resist Iron Head, preventing Jirachi from becoming set-up fodder against these opponents. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs prevent Jirachi from being 2HKOed by a myriad of threatening special attackers, including, but not limited to, Life Orb Gengar and Lead Azelf. The HP EVs provide Jirachi with a good amount of physical bulk. Jirachi can also act as a one-time stop to many physical stat-uppers, because it can switch in and paralyze the stat booster, allowing the rest of your team to take out the weakened opposing Pokemon. 32 Speed EVs let Jirachi outspeed Jolly max speed Tyranitar, allowing Jirachi to Iron Head Tyranitar before it can hit Jirachi with a Choice-Band boosted Earthquake.</p>

<p>If your team has a problem with Pokemon who are immune to Thunder Wave, Body Slam can be used instead, sporting a 60% chance of paralysis. However, that Jirachi will lose its ability to check Rotom-A if it runs Body Slam. Protect is a useful move that may be used over Wish to scout Choice item users. Jirachi can also run an EV spread of 176 HP / 136 SpA / 176 SpD / 20 Spe along with a Calm nature and a moveset of Psychic, Thunderbolt, Wish, and Icy Wind. These changes will allow Jirachi to better handle Starmie, Jolteon and Dragon-types. However, Jirachi loses a significant portion of its bulk and the ability to combat most physical threats due to the lack of Thunder Wave. Only choose to run this variant if your team really struggles with Starmie and Jolteon.</p>

<p>Sandstorm helps Jirachi when it is trying to stall opponents, making Tyranitar and Hippowdon important teammates because of their Sand Stream abilities. In order for Jirachi to win against Starmie, Jirachi needs a fair amount of luck. Jirachi also loses to Jolteon because Jirachi cannot paralyze it; therefore, back-up checks to Jolteon and Starmie can come in handy. Tyranitar again is useful, as it can survive an attack from either and retaliate with a strong Earthquake or STAB Crunch. The only special attackers whom Jirachi cannot reliably stand up to are Fire-types, so bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon are great teammates. Finally, defensive Water-types can stall out Jirachi, so an Electric- or Grass-type teammate will come in handy; good candidates for this role include Rotom-A and Shaymin, respectively. Use Jirachi on semi-stall and bulky offensive teams; typically, both of these team styles fare poorly against fast and powerful special attackers, and will therefore appreciate the Wish and paralysis support that Jirachi offers.</p>

2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)