Jirachi (Substitute + Thunder Wave)

I began using this set along with in 3-4 along with users Pride and undisput3d, who can both vouch for this set. It has become my favorite set that i've used in a long time, and I'm sure they both agree. This Jirachi is absolutely great in today's metagame, and can devastate many teams.

Jirachi Analysis

---

[SET]
name: Substitute + Thunder Wave
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Thunder Wave / Body Slam
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Leftovers
nature: Jolly
evs: 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>By utilizing paralysis and Iron Head's boosted flinch rate thanks to Serene Grace, Jirachi can ensure that his opponents will only ever have a 30% chance of successfully attacking with a 100% accurate move. This set takes full advantage of these odds by providing Jirachi with the ability to heal 6.25% of his health for free with Leftovers every time his opponent gets flinched or is fully paralyzed. Substitute allows Jirachi to safely attempt to flinch opponents who would otherwise OHKO him. With Leftovers, Jirachi fully regains all his health lost from Substitute after successfully preventing his opponent from attacking four times. At this point, Jirachi has likely done significant damage, and is now back to full health.</p>

<p>Unlike most other sets, this set should be played with long-term planning in mind. In other words, it often takes two switch-ins from this Jirachi to be as successful as possible. The first time Jirachi comes in, he should paralyze his opponent's counter, and then switch out. The next time Jirachi finds an opening to come in, he should use Substitute while his opponent switches back to the same paralyzed counter, and then begin to wreck havoc. Of course, Jirachi could attempt to keep using Substitute the first time he comes out until his opponent is fully paralyzed, but that is not the most reliable strategy.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Jirachi to outpace all positive nature base 90 Speed Pokemon, most notably Lucario. 168 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to then OHKO Lucario after Life Orb recoil and a Defense drop. Even without max Attack, this spread still allows Jirachi to get the OHKOs and 2HKOs that he would get with 252 EVs. The rest are thrown into HP and give Jirachi a nice amount of bulk to round out the set; however, if you want even more bulk, a 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Spe spread works too. The 252 HP EVs give Jirachi 101 HP Substitutes that aren't broken by Seismic Toss. For that spread, a Careful, Impish, or Adamant nature will work, and really depends on what you need. Careful allows Jirachi to take attacks from Starmie and other special attackers more easily. Impish does the same, except for physical attackers like Machamp. Adamant will give Jirachi a nice boost in Attack. Since Jirachi should be paralyzing most switch-ins, max Speed is generally not needed, making this secondary spread just as viable as the original. If you want to maximize Jirachi's offensive power, you may also use 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe with a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Body Slam may be considered over Thunder Wave, as it allows Jirachi to paralyze Pokemon immune to Electric-type attacks, such as Swampert, Gliscor, Flygon, Hippowdon, Jolteon, and Electivire. It also provides Jirachi with a form of neutral damage versus Water-type Pokemon, who otherwise resist all of Jirachi's attacks. It is generally an inferior option to Thunder Wave though, as Body Slam only has a 60% chance to paralyze, and does not affect Ghost-type Pokemon.</p>

<p>Although this set is incredibly difficult for people to play around, it does have some hard counters. Pokemon who are immune to Thunder Wave or resist Iron Head and Fire Punch usually fit the bill. Such Pokemon are Hippowdon, Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. They each are immune to Thunder Wave, take little from Iron Head, and can hit back with powerful Ground-type attacks. Starmie is also a good counter because he resists Jirachi's attacks, and even though Jirachi can paralyze him, Starmie can easily switch out, ridding himself of paralysis thanks to Natural Cure. Suicune also resists Jirachi's attacks, can set up Calm Minds, and use Rest to rid itself of paralysis. Heatran is a decent counter as well; Jirachi is able to paralyze him, but he still takes very little from Jirachi's attacks, and can hit hard with his STAB Fire-type attacks. Jolteon is also a good check because he is immune to Thunder Wave, resists Iron Head, and can break through Jirachi's Substitutes with STAB Thunderbolt without worrying about being flinched.</p>

<p>Because Jirachi should be behind a Substitute most of the time, the opponent will be eager to break it. That makes any Pokemon who resists Fire- and Ground-type attacks a solid partner with Jirachi. Salamence and Gyarados are both excellent choices. Mixed Salamence can switch in on either of those, and use moves like Draco Meteor to force out bulky Ground- and Water-types. Gyarados loves getting free switch-ins so he can set up with Dragon Dance. His STAB Water-type attacks can also scare off the Ground-types who hinder Jirachi. Jirachi will also appreciate a Heatran with Toxic on his team. Heatran is a great lure for the same Pokemon, like Swampert and Vaporeon, who stop Jirachi. Toxic will make them essentially useless when facing Jirachi. Specially Defensive Skarmory walls Pokemon like Hippowdon and Vaporeon and appreciates the extra turns to set up Spikes. Any Pokemon who benefit from a paralyzed opponent, like Machamp and Salamence, will work great with this set too.</p>

I began using this set along with in 3-4 along with users Pride and undisput3d, who can both vouch for this set. It has become my favorite set that i've used in a long time, and I'm sure they both agree. This Jirachi is absolutely great in today's metagame, and can devastate many teams.

Jirachi Analysis

---

[SET]
move 2: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While this set may seem fairly odd, it works extremely well. It allows Jirachi to fully abuse Iron Head, and makes Jirachi a great anti-metagame Pokemon.</p>

<p>The key to this set is getting up a Substitute. This is extremely easy to do, because of how many things Jirachi can force out due to its versatility. It allows Jirachi to take a hit from an attack like Earthquake from Salamence, and then paralyze him right back. Iron Head is the attack of choice. It gives Jirachi a solid STAB move, and allows it to abuse its excellent ability in Serene Grace. Because the metagame has such an emphasis on Speed though, many Pokemon still outspeed Jirachi, even with its base 100 Speed. That means that Jirachi has no chance of utilizing that great 60% flinch rate. Thunder Wave is used to remedy that. It neuters many Pokemon, like Salamence and Gyarados, who thought they could switch in and set up. Jirachi can then whittle away at them using Iron Head. Fire Punch rounds out the set, allowing Jirachi to hit the ever present Steel-types who hope to wall Iron Head, and even sometimes provides a burn to some Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are an absolute minimum, so that Jirachi can outspeed(you didn't mention what it outspeeds). 168 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to then (why is then here?) OHKO Lucario with a Life Orb recoil and a defensive drop. The rest are thrown into HP. Besides the Speed though, the other EVs are fairly adjustable for whatever you need. Body Slam deserves a mention, however small, simply because it can paralyze Flygon and still do a decent amount of damage. It generally isn't worth it though, as Thunder Wave is a sure chance of paralysis where Body Slam isn't.</p> you might wanna mention how thunder wave allows it to hit ghost types as well

<p>This set does have some notable counters though. Pokemon that are immune to Thunder Wave or resist Iron Head and Fire Punch usually fit the bill. Such Pokemon are Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. Each resist Thunder Wave, take very little from Iron Head, and can hit back with powerful Ground-type attacks. Starmie is also a good counter because it resists Jirachi's attacks, and even though Jirachi can paralyze it, Starmie can easily switch out, ridding itself of paralysis. Heatran is a decent counter as well. Jirachi is able to paralyze it, but it still takes very little from Jirachi's attacks, and can hit hard with its STAB Fire-type attacks. Although it is not as common as the other Pokemon mentioned, Jolteon is immune to Thunder Wave, resists Iron Head, and can break through Jirachi with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Latias is probably the best partner for this Jirachi. They have excellent defensive synergy, which often allows Jirachi to easily switch in and set up a Substitute. Jirachi's counters are also fairly vulnerable to Latias' specially based attacks. Starmie also works well when paired with Jirachi. It has excellent coverage, especially when dealing with Jirachi's counters. Starmie can also switch in on Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Gyarados also resists Fire-type attacks, but is also immune to Ground-type attacks thanks to its Flying typing. Although they share a weakness to Fire, Skarmory also makes a decent addition. Jirachi can force many switches, which are emphasized with the addition of Spikes. Skarmory also walls some of Jirachi's counters like Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon.</p>
nice writeup but i added some things. good job djx

Thanks danger is sickk. I must've edited out that first part during initial changes, and I added the ghost part.

ive seen the set used to success and no doubt its good, glad to see a write up on it.

this is just an idea, but body slam might want to be slashed in on twave for the same reasons its slashed in on other para abuser jirachi sets.

ive seen the set used to success and no doubt its good, glad to see a write up on it.

this is just an idea, but body slam might want to be slashed in on twave for the same reasons its slashed in on other para abuser jirachi sets.
Thanks :) I definitely thought about a slash for it, but i felt as though since it only helped against Flygon and Electivire of all things, it didn't really deserve it. It won't be able to paralyze ghosts like gengar and rotom-a either, and paralyzing Gengar from behind the sub virtually makes it useless against jirachi. If there is adequate support for a slash for Body Slam, i will put it in. I just didn't feel it was worth it.

I, and a few other people I know of, can also vouch for this set's effectiveness. While extremely annoying and oftentimes making people leave the room when it kills their Heatran, it does work (blame fucking gamefreak). I have been accustomed to using max Speed however and max Attack. Is there anything specific the HP EVs are for? I'd rather do more damage with Iron Head and tie with Jolly Flygon, enemy Jirachi, and Salamence if the need arises. Proofread below.

Jirachi Analysis

---

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While this set may seem fairly odd, it works extremely well. It allows Jirachi to fully abuse Iron Head, and makes Jirachi a great anti-metagame Pokemon.</p>

<p>The key to this set is getting up a Substitute. This is extremely easy to do, (remove comma) because of how many things Jirachi can force out due to its versatility. It allows Jirachi to take a hit from an attack (remove) like Earthquake from Salamence, and then paralyze him right back. Iron Head is the attack of choice. It (remove, there is no other choice) gives Jirachi a solid STAB move, and allows it to abuse its excellent ability in Serene Grace. Because the metagame has such an emphasis on Speed though, many Pokemon still outspeed Jirachi, even with its base 100 Speed. That means that Jirachi has no chance of utilizing that great 60% flinch rate. Thunder Wave is used to remedy that. It neuters many Pokemon, like Salamence and Gyarados, who thought they could switch in and set up. Jirachi can then whittle away at them using Iron Head. Fire Punch rounds out the set, allowing Jirachi to hit the ever present Steel-types who hope to wall Iron Head, and even sometimes provides a burn to some Pokemon. (You can mention how it lures Forretress and Scizor)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are an absolute minimum, so that Jirachi can outspeed Lucario and other Pokemon with base 90 Speed. 168 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to then OHKO Lucario with a Life Orb recoil and a Defense drop. The rest are thrown into HP. Besides the Speed though, the other EVs are fairly adjustable for whatever you need. Body Slam deserves a (remove) mention, however small, (I'd remove this too so it flows better) simply because it can paralyze Flygon and Gliscor while still doing a decent amount of damage. It generally isn't worth it though, as Thunder Wave is a sure chance of paralysis where Body Slam isn't, and Body Slam can't paralyze Ghost-types.</p>

<p>This set does have some notable counters though. Pokemon that are immune to Thunder Wave or resist Iron Head and Fire Punch usually fit the bill. Such Pokemon are Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. Each resist Thunder Wave, take very little from Iron Head, and can hit back with powerful Ground-type attacks. Starmie is also a good counter because it resists Jirachi's attacks, and even though Jirachi can paralyze it, Starmie can easily switch out, ridding itself of paralysis due to Natural Cure. Heatran is a decent counter as well. Jirachi is able to paralyze it, but it still takes very little from Jirachi's attacks, and can hit hard with its STAB Fire-type attacks. Although it is not as common as the other Pokemon mentioned (don't quote me on this, but I believe Jolteon is about as common, if not more so, as Flygon), Jolteon is immune to Thunder Wave, resists Iron Head, and can break through Jirachi with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Latias is probably the best partner for this Jirachi. They have excellent defensive synergy, which often allows Jirachi to easily switch in and set up a Substitute. Jirachi's counters are also fairly vulnerable to Latias' specially based attacks. Starmie also works well when paired with Jirachi. It has excellent coverage, especially when dealing with Jirachi's counters. Starmie can also switch in on Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Gyarados also resists Fire-type attacks, but is also immune to Ground-type attacks thanks to its Flying typing. Although they share a weakness to Fire, Skarmory also makes a decent addition. Jirachi can force many switches, which are emphasized with the addition of Spikes. Skarmory also walls some of Jirachi's counters like Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. (I know Salamence works well as a partner, and could probably be mentioned as well)</p>

Just posting to say that the original creater of the set is arguably picklesword.

No need to get fancy. The best EVs for this set is max attack and max speed.

The write-up is a little weak to be honest, not mentioning many good partners (swampert, salamence, sub+toxic heatran etc.) and lots of other various information as well.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just posting to say that the original creater of the set is arguably picklesword.

No need to get fancy. The best EVs for this set is max attack and max speed.

The write-up is a little weak to be honest, not mentioning many good partners (swampert, salamence, sub+toxic heatran etc.) and lots of other various information as well.

If your going to run t-wave on this Jirachi is it really necessary to run max speed?

Maybe so you can at least tie with Flygon, and now you can outrun Gliscor that go over 308. Plus, what is the HP for?

Ninja_Cost..

I did evs for jirachi a while ago... So basically aimed for common numbers. I could not find much of a difference between max attack and what is listed. So i reduced it down to still be able to 2hko/ohko the common pokemon. Salamence, ttar, breloom, are all 2hkoed, scizor ohkoed, etc. Magnezone and Latias are about a 50/50 shot with max attack but either way you're gonna para them. Those were two that I remember, but I feel no reason to max attack unless you need it for some reason.

252 Jolly definitely has its perks such as tying other jirachi and salamence. But i disagree aiming for a tie with Flygon whos 70% of the time is scarfed. Gliscor ruins this jirachi set anyways with roost and earthquake. Sure you can try and flinch it but thats something you should only do if there is no other option. So yeah Jolly can work, and its better in some situations. Its more of a preference. I'd rather be slightly more bulky but some players like the tie.

The HP is more of a place holder of the rest of the evs. But the evs listed let Jirachi always survive Mixmences Fire Blast. 4/0 Jirachi is almost always ohkoed. Also takes Flygons Earthquake with much more hp to spare. They aren't the most precise evs but they do allow it to take certain hits with more reliability and perhaps get another para for team support.

I also said in it that the EVs are fairly adjustable for any given situation. I think the given ones are the best for the average situation though.

im not really sure on whether max speed in entirely necessary or not but on attk evs vs hp evs is a decent debate. i personally would rather run max attack to maximize damage although pride brought up some good points. perhaps an alternate spread can be made as well?

You still take 86.9% - 102.6% from a classic mixmence fire blast so if you sub once (which is the point of this set no?) you're still getting fucked up.

You still take 86.9% - 102.6% from a classic mixmence fire blast so if you sub once (which is the point of this set no?) you're still getting fucked up.
no, you'd be t-waving in that situation, but with max speed, jirachi can get the t-wave off before salamence does anything, or at least tie with max speed mixmences

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've used this set, I've seen it used from Picklesword many times successfully, and I've seen it from Cost as well. Hax plays a huge role in this set, and its very rare that your opponent attacks when they are paralyzed and taking constant flinches. If they do however, get lucky hitting you, you're still being a substitute. my suggestions now:

-for ev suggestions though (mention), as simple 252 atk / 252 spe spread with a jolly nature should work out fantastically for this. allows you to at least speed tie with base 100s, namely mence. just a thought though. this is a great set. this spread is mainly focused towards facing offensive teams.

-hippowdon, although very underrated, its p. much the true counter of this set. to me its like a combination of swampert and gliscor. has the enormous physical bulk with slack off. hippo can shrug repeated iron heads and can earthquake jirachi. if it is behind a sub, roar would probably work best.

-explosion gross is a good partner to remedy this hippo weakness. explosion on the same spot, ohkoing hippowdon early, allowing jirachi to sweep sufficiently easier.

-sub + toxic tran is great for this, even hp grass tran with life orb. heatran lures in bulky waters, who give this set troubles somewhat. tran can injure them with toxic, making the flinching process more annoying as the poison damage intensifies. if your taking this to an offensive approach, go for lo tran to smack swamp with hp grass.

here is my edit

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While this set may seem fairly unusual, it works extremely well as it allows Jirachi to fully abuse Iron Head, making Jirachi a great annoyer. [anti-metagame pokemon is replaced because yout sentence didn't really elaborate on why it is one, annoyer is suitable for now.] The key to this set is setting up a Substitute. This is extremely easy to do because of Jirachi's ability to force out Pokemon due to its versatility. This allows Jirachi to take a hit like Earthquake from someone like Salamence, and then paralyze it [Mence is it] right back. Iron Head gives Jirachi a solid STAB move, and allows it to abuse its excellent ability in Serene Grace. Because the metagame has such an emphasis on Speed, a couple of Pokemon still outspeed Jirachi, even with its base 100 Speed. That means that Jirachi has no chance of utilizing that great 60% flinch rate. Thunder Wave is used to remedy that. It neuters many Pokemon, like Salamence and Gyarados, who thought they could switch in and set up. Jirachi can then whittle away at them using Iron Head. Fire Punch rounds out the set by allowing Jirachi to hit the ever present Steel-types, like Scizor and Forretress, who hope to take repeated Iron Heads, and can often burn an opponent thanks to Serene Grace.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are an absolute minimum, so that Jirachi can outspeed Lucario and other Pokemon with base 90 Speed. 168 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to then OHKO Lucario with a Life Orb recoil and a Defense drop. They still allow Jirachi to get the OHKOs and 2HKOs that it would get with 252 EVs. The rest are thrown into HP and give Jirachi a nice amount of bulk as well. However, besides the Speed, the other EVs are fairly adjustable for whatever you need.</p>

<p>Body Slam deserves a mention simply because it can paralyze Ground-types like Flygon and Gliscor, while still doing decent damage. It generally isn't worth it though, as Thunder Wave is a sure chance of paralysis where Body Slam isn't, and Body Slam can't paralyze Ghost-types.</p>

<p>This set does have some notable counters though. Pokemon that are immune to Thunder Wave or resist Iron Head and Fire Punch usually fit the bill. Such Pokemon are Swampert and Gliscor.[removed Flygon, otherwise the next sentence wouldn't make sense] They each boast immunity to Thunder Wave, take very little from Iron Head, and can hit back with Earthquake. Starmie is also a good counter because it resists Jirachi's attacks, and even though Jirachi can paralyze it, Starmie can easily switch out, ridding itself of paralysis. Heatran is a decent counter as well. Jirachi is able to paralyze it, but it still takes very little from Jirachi's attacks, and can hit hard with its STAB Fire-type attacks. Jolteon is also a good check because it is immune to Thunder Wave, resists Iron Head, and can break through Jirachi with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Latias is probably the best partner for this Jirachi, since they both have excellent defensive synergy, which often allows Jirachi to easily switch in and set up a Substitute. Jirachi's counters are also fairly vulnerable to Latias' specially based attacks. Starmie also works well when paired with Jirachi. It has excellent coverage, especially when dealing with Jirachi's counters. Starmie can also switch-in on Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Gyarados also resists Fire-type attacks, but is also immune to Ground-type attacks thanks to its Flying typing. Although they share a weakness to Fire, Skarmory also makes a decent addition. Jirachi can force many switches, which are emphasized with the addition of Spikes. Skarmory also walls some of Jirachi's counters like Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. Any Pokemon who appreciates paralysis will work with this set too.</p>

no, you'd be t-waving in that situation, but with max speed, jirachi can get the t-wave off before salamence does anything, or at least tie with max speed mixmences
I mean, you sub, get a twave off, your opponent forces you out (i've never seen it done... but hey!) and you come back in. Either way, its a shaky chance to live.

Yeah 252 / 252 is generally better if you know you're going to be facing offense, but the given spread i think works better in general. I'll mention it.

Body Slam slash y/n?

@ YTP: If you Twave Salamence, it only has a 30% chance of attacking, so you can usually beat it, even at -1 from Intimidate. Around 65% of Salamence were Naive, Jolly, or Adamant, so they wouldn't be OHKOing with Fire Blast anyways.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here are some basic calcs that could be added in as examples:

Fire Punch vs 248 HP / 0 Def neutral natured Scizor:
278 Atk vs 236 Def & 343 HP (75 Base Power): 256 - 304 (74.64% - 88.63%)

Fire Punch vs 48 HP / 0 Def neutral natured Breloom:
278 Atk vs 196 Def & 273 HP (75 Base Power): 154 - 182 (56.41% - 66.67%)

Iron Head vs 4 HP / 0 Def neutral natured Salamence:
278 Atk vs 196 Def & 331 HP (80 Base Power): 123 - 145 (37.16% - 43.81%)

Iron Head vs 4 HP / 0 Def neutral natured Latias:
278 Atk vs 216 Def & 302 HP (80 Base Power): 111 - 132 (36.75% - 43.71%)

In short, the difference between using max. Attack or a more balanced spread is not that notable. Moving all HP EVs to Attack won't really make the difference, since the change won't allow Jirachi to get any other important 2HKO or a direct kill - even with 299 of Attack Jirachi fails the OHKO on 248 HP Scizor, factoring in Stealth Rock.
After some calcs, I'd recommend using the following spread: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe. There is only a difference of 21 points between the HP of each spread, which is nothing really important. See below:

Fire Blast from 240 SpA / Naive Salamence with Life Orb vs 164 HP Jirachi:
316 Atk vs 236 Def & 382 HP (120 Base Power): 298 - 352 (78.01% - 92.15%)

Fire Blast from 240 SpA / Naive Salamence with Life Orb vs 80 HP Jirachi:
316 Atk vs 236 Def & 361 HP (120 Base Power): 298 - 352 (82.55% - 97.51%)

As displayed, both sets get OHKOed after having used Substitute once, and the difference of damage is only of 4-5 points. Something similar happens when calculating Classic MixMence's Fire Blast - both (164 or 80 HP) have a chance of being OHKOed at perfect health.

*Note: calcs made with Fire Blast since it's Salamence's hardest attack to hit Jirachi.

Also, here are some other interesting numbers with Salamence again, only to prove what I just stated about both spreads:

Situation: Draco Meteor on the switch-in, followed by EQ (16 Atk / Naive Salamence with Life Orb):

DM vs 164 HP EVs: 316 Atk vs 236 Def & 382 HP (140 Base Power): 131 - 154 (34.29% - 40.31%)

EQ vs 164 HP EVs: 310 Atk vs 236 Def & 382 HP (100 Base Power): 246 - 290 (64.40% - 75.92%)

Sum of the damage: (considering min. damage for both attacks): 34+64=98%.

DM vs 80 HP EVs: 316 Atk vs 236 Def & 361 HP (140 Base Power): 131 - 154 (36.29% - 42.66%)

EQ vs 80 HP EVs: 310 Atk vs 236 Def & 361 HP (100 Base Power): 246 - 290 (68.14% - 80.33%)

Sum: (min. damage for both attacks): 36+68=104%.

To sum all this up, even taking into account Leftovers, it will be really difficult for Jirachi to stand to Salamence. It has a unique opportunity to beat Salamence: face him under a Substitute.
So yeah, I suggest using the spread I've listed, or at least give it a mention in Additional Comments.

ok. personally i think the given ev spread is much better. the other one has its perks, but Jirachi can switch into a lot more things like Latias's Specs Draco Meteor without taking >50% damage. Standard Mixmence fails to OHKO with either Earthquake or Fire Blast with the given ev spread vs. with 252/252 you are KOed 100% of the time, and only have a 50% chance of paralyzing. Furthermore, Jirachi can survive 1 earthquake from Agiligross, and Twave it. It can also come in on things like scarf rotom, and survive to twave making the hp evs valuable. Also, idk who mentioned this, but why would you want to tie with Flygon? I almost never see an unchoiced one, because unless you are going for some surprise factor, its infinitely outclassed.

body slam is a dumb move to add to the set. you would really only be taking out gliscor and flygon all the while sacrificing the guarantee of paralysis vs other things and not being able to do anything to ghosts in general.

red-omit
olive green-change
black-add
blue-comment

Jirachi Analysis

---

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The key to this set is getting up a Substitute. This is extremely easy to do because of how many things Jirachi can force out due to its versatility. It allows Jirachi to take a heavy hit like an Earthquake from Salamence, and then paralyze him right back. Iron Head gives Jirachi a solid STAB move, and allows it to abuse its excellent ability in Serene Grace. Because the metagame has such an emphasis on Speed though, many Pokemon still outspeed Jirachi, even with its base 100 Speed. That means that Jirachi has little [i say change 'no' to 'little'. While it is no grammatical error, you did say on the sentence before this that "many" pokemon in OU outspeed Rachi, not everything, so it should still have little chance of utilizing that base 100 Speed.] chance of utilizing that great 60% flinch rate. Thunder Wave is used to remedy that. It slows down many Pokemon, like Salamence and Gyarados, to prevent them from setting up once they switch in. Jirachi can then whittle away at them using Iron Head. Fire Punch rounds out the set, allowing Jirachi to hit the omnipresent Steel-types, like Scizor and Forretress, who hope to wall Iron Head, and even sometimes provides a burn to some Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are an absolute minimum, so that Jirachi can outspeed Lucario and other Pokemon with base 90 Speed. 168 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to then OHKO Lucario with a Life Orb recoil and a Defense drop. They still allow Jirachi to get the OHKOs and 2HKOs that it would have gotten with 252 EVs. The rest are thrown into HP and give Jirachi a nice amount of bulk as well. Besides the Speed though, the other EVs are fairly adjustable for whatever you need. 252 Atk and 252 Spe will work better against offensive teams, as you can speed tie with other Pokemon with base 100 Speed. The given spread will be more effective in general though.</p>

<p>Body Slam deserves a mention simply because it can paralyze Flygon and Gliscor while still doing decent damage. It generally isn't worth it though, as Thunder Wave is a sure chance of paralysis where Body Slam isn't, and Body Slam can't paralyze Ghost-types.[but Thunder Wave can't paralyze Ground-types neither, If you know what I mean.]</p>

<p>This set does have some notable counters though. Pokemon that are immune to Thunder Wave or resist Iron Head and Fire Punch usually fit the bill. Such Pokemon are Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. Each is immune to Thunder Wave, take very little from Iron Head, and can hit back with powerful Ground-type attacks. Starmie is also a good counter because it resists Jirachi's attacks and even though Jirachi can paralyze it, Starmie can easily switch out and rid itself of paralysis. Heatran is a decent counter as well. Jirachi is able to paralyze it, but it still takes very little from Jirachi's attacks, and can hit hard with its STAB Fire-type attacks. Jolteon is also a good check because it is immune to Thunder Wave, resists Iron Head, and can break through Jirachi with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Latias is probably the best partner for this Jirachi. They have excellent defensive synergy, which often allows Jirachi to easily switch in and set up a Substitute. Jirachi's counters are also fairly vulnerable to Latias' specially based attacks. Starmie also works well when paired with Jirachi. It has excellent coverage, especially when dealing with Jirachi's counters. Starmie can also switch in on Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi. Gyarados also resists Fire-type attacks, but is also immune to Ground-type attacks thanks to its Flying typing. Although they share a weakness to Fire, Skarmory also makes a decent addition. Jirachi can force many switches, which are emphasized with the addition of Spikes. Skarmory also walls some of Jirachi's counters like Swampert, Gliscor, and Flygon. Any Pokemon who appreciates paralysis will work with this set too.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)