Jolteon (Analysis)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus

Jolteon

cute, fast, and powerful...what more could you want???

----------------

[Overview]

<p>Thanks to its amazing Speed and high Special Attack, Jolteon can function as a great special attacker. While Jolteon's poor defenses and shallow movepool let it down sometimes, it compensates for these drawbacks with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt and immunity to Electric-type attacks. With its high Speed stat and Volt Change, Jolteon can also be an excellent scout, and cancsignificantly boost your team's offensive momentum. The good news stops here, however. Many common Pokemon, such as Venusaur, Garchomp, and Excadrill, are resistant or immune to Electric-type moves, so Jolteon must be cautious when using Thunderbolt. Additionally, Jolteon's frailness makes it an easy target for priority attacks and Choice Scarf users. Despite these drawbacks, if you play to Jolteon's strengths, you will discover a strong and fast special attacker that can clean up weakened teams in the blink of an eye.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Volt Change
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jolteon is a natural candidate for a Choice Specs set due to its incredibly high Speed and fantastic Special Attack stat. Though Jolteon cannot switch in on any moderately powerful attacks (with the exception of Electric-type moves) for fear of being KOed, it can easily come in after a kill and proceed to damage the opposing team with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Jolteon's main STAB move, denting any Pokemon that doesn't resist it and easily cleaning up weakened teams. Shadow Ball is for super effectively hitting Ghost- and Psychic-type foes, such as Chandelure, Victini, and Reuniclus. Volt Change works similarly to the infamous Choice Band Scizor's U-turn, as it allows Jolteon to keep the opponent under constant pressure; however, the move will fail if a Ground-type switches in on it. The final slot is dedicated to your choice of Hidden Power; Hidden Power Ice lets Jolteon OHKO common Dragon-types like Salamence, and also OHKOes Gliscor, while Hidden Power Grass allows it to promptly eliminate Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, who otherwise wall Jolteon with ease. Ultimately, the Hidden Power type that you choose comes down to which Pokemon your team is capable of taking on.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Baton Pass can be used in place of Volt Change so that Jolteon can safely scout Ground-type counters, such as Excadrill and Hippowdon, but Volt Change is better in almost every other scenario, making it the more solid choice. Signal Beam can be used over Shadow Ball in order to hit Tyranitar and Celebi switch-ins harder, but has no use outside of that. Hidden Power Fighting can be used in the final moveslot so that Jolteon can super effectively hit Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill switch-ins, but the Hidden Power types listed above are generally more useful options. As far as the EV spread goes, it's quite simple: 252 Special Attack EVs are used for maximum power, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Jolteon to outspeed practically any Pokemon that isn't holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, it's a good idea to pack Pokemon that can beat bulky Ground-types, as any Ground-type can switch in on one of Jolteon's STAB moves with the utmost ease, forcing it out. Good examples of such teammates include Jellicent, Starmie, and Shaymin, who can pound Ground-types with their STAB Water- and Grass-type moves. Additionally, it's a good idea to pair Jolteon with a Water-type, as they draw Electric-type moves that Jolteon can switch in on for free. Vaporeon is a great teammate in this regard, as she can also pass gargantuan Wishes to extend Jolteon's lifespan. Gyarados is a wonderful partner as well, since Electric attacks are one of the few ways to OHKO it. Stealth Rock support is highly beneficial to this set as it allows Jolteon to secure several key OHKOs and 2HKOs. Any fast Choice Scarf user who can switch in on Jolteon safely will be able to dispose of him, so it would be smart to use teammates that can take on common Choice Scarf users, especially Garchomp.</p>

[SET]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Charge Beam / Work Up
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the Choice Specs set gives Jolteon great power right off the bat, this set aims to increase Jolteon's damage output over time to insane levels. Thanks to Life Orb, Jolteon packs plenty of power while still having the freedom to switch attacks. Couple this with Jolteon's respectable type coverage, and you'll find a threatening Pokemon on your hands after a Special Attack boost or two.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is the primary option in the first moveslot, as it allows Jolteon to deal damage while often boosting its Special Attack; this is particularly useful when Jolteon is picking off a weakened Pokemon, as it will be able to not only KO the Pokemon, but raise its Special Attack in the process. Work Up can be used instead, as while it does no damage, it is a surefire way to raise Jolteon's Special Attack, and is particularly useful when an opposing Pokemon switches out to a counter or Ground-type. As with the above set, Thunderbolt is Jolteon's STAB move, while your Hidden Power of choice is employed to hit specific targets. When selecting Jolteon's Hidden Power, keep in mind that your choice will affect which Pokemon Jolteon can and cannot take on. Shadow Ball is used in the final moveslot to eliminate Ghost-types such as Gengar. However, it is mostly filler, as Thunderbolt hits almost all potential targets about as hard as Shadow Ball does, and now that Rotom-A has lost its Ghost-typing, Shadow Ball isn't as necessary.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Volt Change can be used in place of Shadow Ball if you're interested in scouting, but this will remove Jolteon's Special Attack boosts, making it a less-than-desirable option on a set that is somewhat focused on raising Jolteon's stats. Signal Beam can also be used to hit Tyranitar and Celebi harder, but aside from this it sees almost no use, as all of Jolteon's other attacks deal more consistent damage. Balloon can be used to rid Jolteon of its only weakness and help it set up more easily, but Jolteon will sorely miss the additional power that Life Orb provides. However, if you're using Jolteon as more of a clean-up Pokemon, then Balloon makes a fine option.</p>

<p>Blissey is a big pain for Jolteon to take on, as she can sponge its attacks with tremendous ease, badly poison it with Toxic, and wear it down with Seismic Toss. As such, packing a bulky Fighting-type that can take out Blissey, such as Conkeldurr, is a good idea. Bulky Ground-types also wall Jolteon, though boosted Hidden Power will hurt them. In order to deal with such Pokemon, a Water- or Grass-type teammate, like Vaporeon or Celebi, can be employed. Water-type teammates are especially beneficial, as they attract Electric-type moves, which Jolteon can easily switch in on thanks to its immunity. Stealth Rock and Spikes support are very helpful for Jolteon, as they enable it to nab several important KOs, and simply allow it to be more destructive to the opposing team. Just like on the first set, Choice Scarf revenge killers such as Garchomp will be able to dispose of this set with extreme ease, so play cautiously.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Jolteon has a few other useful tricks up its sleeve. A Baton Pass set with Agility and/or Substitute can be used to moderate success, but it is shut down by common priority moves such as Mach Punch and ExtremeSpeed. A Yawn + Protect set could be useful as it enables Jolteon to get past some of its common switch-ins, but Jolteon's frailty will often let it down when using such a set, so Jolteon is really better off as an attacker. As far as alternative moves go, Jolteon has access to Wish, but its poor defenses and HP makes Jolteon a sub-par user of the move. On a rain team, alongside Drizzle Politoed, Jolteon can abuse its 100% accurate STAB Thunder, which also has a nifty 30% paralysis rate. While this is a true blessing on a rain team, Thunder's poor accuracy means that it sees little use outside of such teams. Finally, Jolteon can run Substitute on the second set to provide a buffer against status and critical hits, but it is often better off simply attacking, as Jolteon is already immune to Thunder Wave and isn't severely harmed by burns, making Substitute's status-protection utility somewhat redundant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Depending on Jolteon's Hidden Power type, there are a variety of potential counters. Sets that lack Hidden Power Grass are destroyed by Pokemon such as Swampert, while sets without Hidden Power Ice are easily taken down by foes like Garchomp and Gliscor. Porygon2 can use its ability, Trace, to copy Jolteon's Volt Absorb and gain an Electric immunity, then force Jolteon out. Though uncommon, Dugtrio can switch in on Jolteon's STAB Thunderbolt for free, trap it with its Arena Trap ability, and then OHKO with Earthquake (or possibly set up with Claw Sharpen). Due to Jolteon's poor defensive stats, priority attacks, such as Conkeldurr's Mach Punch and Lucario's ExtremeSpeed, will heavily damage it. Choice Scarf users that outspeed Jolteon, like the infamous Garchomp and Hydreigon, can surprise and nab a quick KO on the lightning Pokemon. Overall, any Pokemon that can take a hit from Jolteon and strike back with a moderately powerful attack will often be able to beat it.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Jolteon's Dream World ability is Quick Feet. While Quick Feet is by no means a bad ability, Jolteon is already quite fast, and the Electric-type immunity that Volt Absorb grants Jolteon allows it to switch in much more easily than it would be able to otherwise.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
sorry that this has been ignored for so long :( i'm resuming work on it now!

edit: the skeleton's done

I would move Cheer Up to AC on the LO set, honestly. I just ran a few battles and I was always happier with Charge Beam than Cheer Up.

Also I would add a mention that Jolteon is fantastic on Rain teams as a Thunder coming off Jolteon is huge and Volt Change is great to have.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
I would move Cheer Up to AC on the LO set, honestly. I just ran a few battles and I was always happier with Charge Beam than Cheer Up.
cheer up has been pretty good for me when i switch in on something like vaporeon, then nab the 100% special attack boost on the switch. while i do like charge beam, its fun to nab the boost regardless of any ground-types switch-ins; not to mention that the charge beam boost isn't guarenteed to begin with, while cheer up is. i may or may not remove cheer up, though...i'll just wait for QC opinion, i guess.

Also I would add a mention that Jolteon is fantastic on Rain teams as a Thunder coming off Jolteon is huge and Volt Change is great to have.
this is already mentioned in optional changes

Looks good. Maybe you could rename the Life Orb set "Boosting Sweeper" and give Balloon a slash, as it can be useful to rid Jolteon of its only weakness while setting up. A mention of Balloon in AC or OC would be fine too.

QC Approved 1/2

I'm surprised the Baton Pass set only gets a small blurb in Optional Changes, considering that priority moves shut down any Jolteon set.

Jolteon is still one of the fastest around, but in an unknown environment, with so many lingering around 85-110 Base Speed in Gen 5, there are a lot more Scarfed Pokemon that may switch in and ruin Jolteon's day. The problem is when you don't know if it's Scarfed or not. Behind a Sub however, it can either attack or Baton Pass. If the Sub's hit first, it's Scarfed, which means you can set up. If not, you get a free switch with possibly the Sub still intact.

Furthermore, Baton Pass lets it utilize Petaya Berry and/or Cheer Up effectively. Leftovers is generally the safer option, but subbing until Petaya activates lets it sweep as well in the later stages of the game. Cheer Up can be slashed in with Substitute if you want to risk Jolteon getting outsped and go for a more supporting role. Mixed or even Scarfed Pokemon would benefit greatly from an Atk and/or SpA boost and possibly enables a sweep.

Above all else, SubPassing is a great scouting tool with the added benefit of passing boosts. It's just a versatile set.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
AC mention of HP Fight for Dory/Nattorei/T-tar would be nice. Looks good.

QC Approved 1/2

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quick Feet needs to be mentioned in AC. While it may seem gimmicky, it was actually quite useful with all of these rain teams running around, and it lets Jolteon check nearly anything that has boosted its speed (RP Randorusu, Terakion etc)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Quick Feet needs to be mentioned in AC. While it may seem gimmicky, it was actually quite useful with all of these rain teams running around, and it lets Jolteon check nearly anything that has boosted its speed (RP Randorusu, Terakion etc)
i'll re-test quick feet, but honestly it has been nothing but inferior from my experiences. in the meantime, i'll be sure to include a mention in the dream world section of quick feet jolteon's rain-checking niche.

Dugtrio should be mentioned somewhere in the analysis, being able to come in on Specs Thunderbolt/Volt Change and get a free kill.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Dugtrio should be mentioned somewhere in the analysis, being able to come in on Specs Thunderbolt/Volt Change and get a free kill.
despite the fact that dugtrio is ridiculously uncommon (like it's literally hovering around the 160 mark in usage), this is a valid point, so i've made a brief mention of this in counters.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
this analysis is now written; as a member of the GP team myself, i understand that 5th generation analyses don't have immeadiate priority right now, so GP checkers, feel free to proofread this analysis at your leisure.

I was contemplating not GP checking this analysis because, to me, Jolteon looks black, and, therefore, is inferior.
RED=DELETION
BLUE=ADDITION
PURPLE=COMMENTS

I changed all the "who"s in your analysis into "that" since most of your analysis is impersonal.
[Overview]

<p>Thanks to its amazing Speed and high Special Attack, Jolteon can function as a great special attacker. While its poor defenses and shallow movepool let Jolteon down somewhat, it compensates for these drawbacks with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt and immunity to Electric-type attacks. With its high Speed stat and Volt Change, Jolteon can also be an excellent scout, and can boost your team's offensive momentum by significant amounts. The good news stops here, however. Many common Pokemon, such as Doryuuzu and Garchomp, resist or are immune to Electric-type moves, so Jolteon must be cautious when using Thunderbolt. Additionally, Jolteon's frailness makes it an easy target for priority attacks and Choice Scarf users. Despite these drawbacks, if you play to Jolteon's strengths, you will discover a strong and fast special attacker who that can clean up weakened teams in the blink of an eye.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jolteon is a natural candidate for a Choice Specs set due to its stellar Speed and above-average Special Attack stats. Though Jolteon cannot switch in on any moderately powerful attacks (with the exception of Electric-type moves) for fear of being KOed, it can easily come in after a kill and proceed to damage the opposing team with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Jolteon's main STAB move, denting any Pokemon who that doesn't resist it, and easily cleaning up weakened teams. Shadow Ball is for hitting Ghost- and Psychic-type foes, such as Shandera, Victini, and Rankurusu. Volt Change allows Jolteon to act as a top-notch scout, as it allows you to see what the opponent's primary Jolteon switch-in is and then respond accordingly, (though this strategy will fail if a Ground-type switches in on Volt Change). Additionally, Volt Change works similarly to the infamous Choice Band Scizor's U-turn, as it allows Jolteon to keep the opponent under constant pressure while keeping the offensive momentum in your favor. The final slot is dedicated to your choice of Hidden Power; Hidden Power Ice lets Jolteon OHKO common Dragon-types like Salamence and also OHKOs Gliscor, while Hidden Power Grass allows it to hit Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, who that otherwise walls Jolteon with ease. Ultimately, the Hidden Power type that you choose comes down to which Pokemon your team is capable of taking on.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Baton Pass can be used in place of Volt Change so that Jolteon can safely switch out of scout Ground-type Pokemon counters, such as Doryuuzu and Hippowdon, but Volt Change is better in almost every other scenario, making it the more solid choice. Signal Beam can be used over Shadow Ball in order to hit Tyranitar and Celebi switch-ins harder, but has no use outside of that. Finally, Hidden Power Fighting can be used in the final moveslot so that Jolteon can hit Tyranitar, Nattorei, and Doryuuzu switch-ins, but the Hidden Power types listed above are generally more useful options. As far as the EV spread goes, it's quite simple: 252 Special Attack EVs are used for maximum power, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Jolteon to outspeed practically any Pokemon who that isn't holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, it's a good idea to pack Pokemon who that can beat bulky Ground-types, as any Ground-type can switch in on one of Jolteon's STAB moves with the utmost ease, forcing it out. Good examples of such teammates include Burungeru, Starmie, and Shaymin, who can pound Ground-types with their STAB Water- and Grass-type moves. Additionally, it's a good idea to pair Jolteon with a Water-type, as they draw Electric-type moves that Jolteon can switch in on for free. Jolteon's fellow Eeevolution, Vaporeon, is a great teammate in this regard, as she can also pass gargantuan Wishes to extend Jolteon's lifespan. Gyarados is a wonderful partner as well, since Electric attacks are one of the few ways to OHKO it. Stealth Rock support is highly beneficial to this set as it allows Jolteon to secure several key OHKOs and 2HKOs. Any fast Choice Scarf user who that can switch in on Jolteon safely will be able to dispose of him, so it would be smart to use teammates who can take on common Scarfers, such as like Garchomp.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Charge Beam / Cheer Up

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the first set gives Jolteon great power right off the bat, this set aims to increase Jolteon's damage output over time to insane levels. Thanks to Life Orb, Jolteon packs plenty of power while still having the freedom to switch attacks. Couple this with Jolteon's respectable type coverage, and you'll find a threatening Pokemon on your hands after a Special Attack boost or two.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is the primary option in the first moveslot, as it allows Jolteon to deal damage while often boosting its Special Attack; this is particularly useful when Jolteon is picking off a weakened Pokemon, as it will be KOed, and Jolteon will potentially receive a boost be able to not only KO the Pokemon, but raise its Special Attack in the process. Cheer Up can be used instead, as while it does no damage, it is a surefire way to raise Jolteon's Special Attack, and is particularly useful when an opposing Pokemon switches out. Similarly to the above set, Thunderbolt is Jolteon's STAB move, while your Hidden Power of choice is employed to hit specific targets. When selecting your Hidden Power, keep in mind that your choice will affect which Pokemon Jolteon can and cannot take on. Shadow Ball is used in the final moveslot to hit Ghost-type switch-ins such as , like Gengar. However, it is mostly filler, as Thunderbolt hits almost all potential targets about as hard as Shadow Ball does, and now that the Rotom formes have lost their Ghost-typing, Shadow Ball isn't as neccessary.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Volt Change can be used in place of Shadow Ball if you're interested in scouting, but this will remove Jolteon's Special Attack boosts, making it a less-than-desirable option on a set that is relatively focused on raising Jolteon's stats. Signal Beam can also be used to hit Tyranitar and Celebi harder, but aside from this it sees almost no use, as all of Jolteon's other attacks deal more consistent damage. Balloon can be used to rid Jolteon of its only weakness and help it set up more easily, but Jolteon will sorely miss the additional power that Life Orb provides;. However, if you're using Jolteon as more of a clean-up Pokemon, then Balloon makes a fine option.</p>

<p>Blissey is a big pain for Jolteon to take on, as she can sponge its attacks with tremendous ease, and poison it with Toxic or and wear it down with Seismic Toss. As such, packing a bulky Fighting-type who that can take out Blissey, such as like Roobushin, is a good idea. Bulky Ground-types also wall Jolteon, though boosted Hidden Powers will hurt them. In order to deal with such Pokemon, a Water- or Grass-type teammate, like such as Vaporeon or Celebi, can be employed. Water-type teammates are especially beneficial, as they attract Electric-type moves, which Jolteon can easily switch in on thanks to its immunity. Stealth Rock and Spikes support are very helpful for Jolteon, as they enable it to nab several important KOs, and simply allow it to be more destructive to the opposing team in general. Just like on the first set, Choice Scarf revenge killers such as Garchomp will be able to dispose of this set with extreme ease, so play cautiously.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Good teammates for Jolteon are Pokemon who that can switch in on Ground-types, as Ground-types can sponge most of Jolteon's attacks with ease and OHKO back with their STAB Earthquakes. Breloom can come in on most Ground-type Pokemon and use Spore, while Water-types can switch in and drench on Ground-types and drench them with their attacks. When using Jolteon, Stealth Rock support is extremely important. Stealth Rock allows Jolteon to secure several OHKOs on common, dangerous Pokemon, so it is essentially a neccessary form of support. Bronzong is a great choice to set Stealth Rock up, as it is immune to Jolteon's only weakness, Ground, and can use Hypnosis to incapitate incapacitate switch-ins.</p>

<p>While not as mandatory as Stealth Rock, Spikes support is helpful to damage the opposing team even more. The best Spikes user to use alongside Jolteon is undoubtably indisputably Skarmory, who which is capable of easily switching in on Earthquakes directed at Jolteon thanks to its Ground immunity. Skarmory also commonly draws Electric-type moves, which Jolteon can switch in on for free thanks to its immunity. Finally, Blissey and Chansey are huge roadblocks for Jolteon due to their massive Special Defense and HP stats. In order to deal with the aforementioned special walls, a powerful Fighting-type teammate should be employed; Roobushin is a great choice as it isn't bothered by immune to status, thanks to Guts, and can easily obtain multiple Bulk Up boosts against Blissey and Chansey will little fear of a counterattack.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Jolteon has a few other useful tricks up its sleeve. A Baton Pass set with Agility and/or Substitute can be used to moderate success, but it is shut down by common priority moves such as Mach Punch and ExtremeSpeed. A Yawn + Protect set could be useful as it enables Jolteon to get past some of its common switch-ins, but Jolteon's fraility will often let it down when using such a set, so you are often better off simply using Jolteon as an attacker. As far as alternative moves go, Jolteon has access to Wish, but its poor defenses and HP makes Jolteon an only sub-par user of the move. On a rain team, alongside Drizzle Politoed, Jolteon can abuse its 100% accurate STAB Thunder, which also has a nifty 30% paralysis rate. While this is a true blessing on a rain team, Thunder's poor accuracy means that it sees little use outside of such teams. Finally, Jolteon can run Substitute on the second set to provide a buffer against status and critical hits, but it is often better off simply attacking, as Jolteon is already immune to Thunder Wave and isn't severely harmed by burns, making Substitute's status-protection utility somewhat redundant.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Depending on Jolteon's Hidden Power type, there are a variety of potential counters. Sets that lack Hidden Power Grass are destroyed by Pokemon such as like Swampert, while sets without Hidden Power Ice are easily taken down by foes like such as Garchomp and Gliscor. Porygon2 can use its ability, Trace, to copy Jolteon's Volt Absorb and gain an Electric immunity, then force Jolteon out. Though uncommon, Dugtrio can switch in on Jolteon's STAB Thunderbolt for free, trap it with its Arena Trap ability, and then OHKO with Earthquake, or possibly set up with Claw Sharpen. Due to Jolteon's poor defensive stats, priority attacks, such as Roobushin's Mach Punch or and Lucario's ExtremeSpeed, will heavily damage it. Choice Scarf users who that outspeed Jolteon, like the infamous Garchomp or and Sazandora, can surprise and nab a quick KO on the lightning Pokemon. Finally, Overall, any Pokemon who that can take a hit from Jolteon and strike back with a moderately powerful attack will often be able to beat it.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Jolteon's Dream World ability is Quick Feet. While Quick Feet is by no means a bad ability, Jolteon is already quite fast, and the Electric immunity that Volt Absorb grants Jolteon allows it to switch in much more easily than it would be able to otherwise. Quick Feet does grant Jolteon a unique niche in that it allows it to somewhat check common rain teams, but using Quick Feet Jolteon is somewhat a liability if you are not facing a rain team, and Toxicroak has a more established niche as a rain counter, anyway.</p>

EDIT: Oh, and slight necrobump but idc. I know Snorlaxe is inactive for a while, but I just felt like checking it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe mention somewhere the usefulness of Shadow Ball for neutral coverage. Many inexperienced players who read the analysis might not understand that Electric/Ghost gives good neutral coverage.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So now that Aldaron's proposal has been passed, I don't think the comments a out Jolteon checking Rain teams are necessary due to Swift Swimmers being very rare in the metagame (though I'm tempted to use a Rain Dance Kingdra to check Sandstorm, haha). IMO, I think it's best to say that Jolteon can easily revenge kill, with less of an emPhasis on rain.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's up to the author to fix the comments about rain, but iDunno's check (and the original article really) look great overall.

1/2

How about this little fun set?

[SET]
name: Orbed Feet
move 1: Thunderbolt/Thunder
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect/Volt Switch
item: Flame Orb
ability: Quick Feet
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

For late game sweeps, this set up can be ultra destructive. Quick Feet brings Modest Joleton's Speed to 539 and it brings Timid Jolteon to 591, giving an olverwhelming speed boost that practically out-does anything not Deoxys-S. Personally, I find it's way better to go with the former as 539 is more than enough and Jolteon wants it's Special Attack to hit 350.

With Hidden Power Ice, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, you have great neutral and super coverage. If you can get a few Calm Minds to Jolteon then this thing will cut through teams with ease. It' 2HKO's Reuniclus with maxed out Special Defense and some investment in HP. Protect is also there should you want to defend yourself until the end of the turn to get Flame Orb activated.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

If you are running a Drizzle Team, Thunder is the better option over Thunderbolt due to the accuracy increase. Jolteon and Gyarados always go nicely together as well (although Joleton has lost Volt Absorb, limiting the usefulness of this pairing), making Jolteon a useful addition to the team.

If you prefer to play this Jolteon as a lead, then Volt Switch may be a good choice to get the hit in and return Jolteon to safety.

---------------------------------------

Sorry if this is a bit vague. I don't think I'm an expert at Pokemon but I just thought this set was an interesting use of the Quick Feet ability. Please tell me what you think and possibly post your own comments on this set-up!

Thanks.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cold=Change
Red=Delete
Blue=Comments

[Overview]

<p>Thanks to its amazing Speed and high Special Attack, Jolteon can function as a great special attacker. While its poor defenses and shallow movepool let Jolteon down sometimes, it compensates for these drawbacks with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt and immunity to Electric-type attacks. With its high Speed stat and Volt Change, Jolteon can also be an excellent scout, and can boost your team's offensive momentum by significant amounts. The good news stops here, however. Many common Pokemon, such as
Venusaur, Garchomp, and Excadrill (I added Venusaur for the sake of consistency with this sentence) resist or are immune to Electric-type moves, so Jolteon must be cautious when using Thunderbolt. Additionally, Jolteon's frailness makes it an easy target for priority attacks and Choice Scarf users. Despite these drawbacks, if you play to Jolteon's strengths, you will discover a strong and fast special attacker that can clean up weakened teams in the blink of an eye.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jolteon is a natural candidate for a Choice Specs set due to its incredibly high Speed and fantastic Special Attack stat. Though Jolteon cannot switch in on any moderately powerful attacks (with the exception of Electric-type moves) for fear of being KOed, it can easily come in after a kill and proceed to damage the opposing team with its powerful STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Jolteon's main STAB move, denting any Pokemon that doesn't resist it and easily cleaning up weakened teams. Shadow Ball is for super effectively hitting Ghost- and Psychic-type foes, such as Chandelure, Victini, and Reuniclus. Volt Change allows Jolteon to act as a top-notch scout, as it allows you to see what the opponent's primary Jolteon switch-in is and respond accordingly, though this strategy will fail if a Ground-type switches in on Volt Change. Additionally, Volt Change works similarly to the infamous Choice Band Scizor's U-turn, as it allows Jolteon to keep the opponent under constant pressure while keeping the offensive momentum in your favor. The final slot is dedicated to your choice of Hidden Power; Hidden Power Ice lets Jolteon OHKO common Dragon-types like Salamence, and also OHKOes Gliscor, while Hidden Power Grass allows it to promptly eliminate Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, who otherwise wall Jolteon with ease. Ultimately, the Hidden Power type that you choose comes down to which Pokemon your team is capable of taking on.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Baton Pass can be used in place of Volt Change so that Jolteon can safely scout Ground-type counters, such as Excadrill and Hippowdon, but Volt Change is better in almost every other scenario, making it the more solid choice. Signal Beam can be used over Shadow Ball in order to hit Tyranitar and Celebi switch-ins harder, but has no use outside of that. Hidden Power Fighting can be used in the final moveslot so that Jolteon can super effectively hit Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill switch-ins, but the Hidden Power types listed above are generally more useful options. As far as the EV spread goes, it's quite simple: 252 Special Attack EVs are used for maximum power, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Jolteon to outspeed practically any Pokemon that isn't holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, it's a good idea to pack Pokemon that can beat bulky Ground-types, as any Ground-type can switch in on one of Jolteon's STAB moves with the utmost ease, forcing it out. Good examples of such teammates include Jellicent, Starmie, and Shaymin, who can pound Ground-types with their STAB Water- and Grass-type moves. Additionally, it's a good idea to pair Jolteon with a Water-type, as they draw Electric-type moves that Jolteon can switch in on for free.
Jolteon's fellow Eeevolution, Vaporeon, is a great teammate in this regard, as she can also pass gargantuan Wishes to extend Jolteon's lifespan. Gyarados is a wonderful partner as well, since Electric attacks are one of the few ways to OHKO it. Stealth Rock support is highly beneficial to this set as it allows Jolteon to secure several key OHKOs and 2HKOs. Any fast Choice Scarf user who can switch in on Jolteon safely will be able to dispose of him, so it would be smart to use teammates that can take on common Choice Scarf users, especially Garchomp.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Charge Beam / Work Up

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While
the first set Choice Specs gives Jolteon great power right off the bat, this set aims to increase Jolteon's damage output over time to insane levels. Thanks to Life Orb, Jolteon packs plenty of power while still having the freedom to switch attacks. Couple this with Jolteon's respectable type coverage, and you'll find a threatening Pokemon on your hands after a Special Attack boost or two.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is the primary option in the first moveslot, as it allows Jolteon to deal damage while often boosting its Special Attack; this is particularly useful when Jolteon is picking off a weakened Pokemon, as it will be able to not only KO the Pokemon, but raise its Special Attack in the process. Work Up can be used instead, as while it does no damage, it is a surefire way to raise Jolteon's Special Attack, and is particularly useful when an opposing Pokemon switches out to a counter or Ground-type. Similarly to the above set, Thunderbolt is Jolteon's STAB move, while your Hidden Power of choice is employed to hit specific targets. When selecting
Jolteon’s Hidden Power, keep in mind that your choice will affect which Pokemon Jolteon can and cannot take on. Shadow Ball is used in the final moveslot to eliminate Ghost-type switch-ins (Jolteon is fast enough to take on all Ghost-types) such as Gengar. However, it is mostly filler, as Thunderbolt hits almost all potential targets about as hard as Shadow Ball does, and now that the Rotom-A formes have lost its Ghost-typing, Shadow Ball isn't as necessary.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Volt Change can be used in place of Shadow Ball if you're interested in scouting, but this will remove Jolteon's Special Attack boosts, making it a less-than-desirable option on a set that is relatively focused on raising Jolteon's stats. Signal Beam can also be used to hit Tyranitar and Celebi harder, but aside from this it sees almost no use, as all of Jolteon's other attacks deal more consistent damage. Balloon can be used to rid Jolteon of its only weakness and help it set up more easily, but Jolteon will sorely miss the additional power that Life Orb provides. However, if you're using Jolteon as more of a clean-up Pokemon, then Balloon makes a fine option.</p>

<p>Blissey is a big pain for Jolteon to take on, as she can sponge its attacks with tremendous ease, badly poison it with Toxic, and wear it down with Seismic Toss. As such, packing a bulky Fighting-type that can take out Blissey, such as Conkeldurr, is a good idea. Bulky Ground-types also wall Jolteon, though boosted Hidden Power
s will hurt them. In order to deal with such Pokemon, a Water- or Grass-type teammate, like Vaporeon or Celebi, can be employed. Water-type teammates are especially beneficial, as they attract Electric-type moves, which Jolteon can easily switch in on thanks to its immunity. Stealth Rock and Spikes support are very helpful for Jolteon, as they enable it to nab several important KOs, and simply allow it to be more destructive to the opposing team in general. Just like on the first set, Choice Scarf revenge killers such as Garchomp will be able to dispose of this set with extreme ease, so play cautiously.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Jolteon has a few other useful tricks up its sleeve. A Baton Pass set with Agility and/or Substitute can be used to moderate success, but it is shut down by common priority moves such as Mach Punch and ExtremeSpeed. A Yawn + Protect set could be useful as it enables Jolteon to get past some of its common switch-ins, but Jolteon's frailty will often let it down when using such a set,
so you are often better off simply using Jolteon as an attackerso Jolteon is really better off as an attacker. As far as alternative moves go, Jolteon has access to Wish, but its poor defenses and HP makes Jolteon a sub-par user of the move. On a rain team, alongside Drizzle Politoed, Jolteon can abuse its 100% accurate STAB Thunder, which also has a nifty 30% paralysis rate. While this is a true blessing on a rain team, Thunder's poor accuracy means that it sees little use outside of such teams. Finally, Jolteon can run Substitute on the second set to provide a buffer against status and critical hits, but it is often better off simply attacking, as Jolteon is already immune to Thunder Wave and isn't severely harmed by burns, making Substitute's status-protection utility somewhat redundant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Depending on Jolteon's Hidden Power type, there are a variety of potential counters. Sets that lack Hidden Power Grass are destroyed by Pokemon such as Swampert, while sets without Hidden Power Ice are easily taken down by foes like Garchomp and Gliscor. Porygon2 can use its ability, Trace, to copy Jolteon's Volt Absorb and gain an Electric immunity, then force Jolteon out. Though uncommon, Dugtrio can switch in on Jolteon's STAB Thunderbolt for free, trap it with its Arena Trap ability, and then OHKO with Earthquake (or possibly set up with Claw Sharpen). Due to Jolteon's poor defensive stats, priority attacks, such as Conkeldurr’s Mach Punch and Lucario's ExtremeSpeed, will heavily damage it. Choice Scarf users that outspeed Jolteon, like the infamous Garchomp and Hydreigon, can surprise and nab a quick KO on the lightning Pokemon. Overall, any Pokemon that can take a hit from Jolteon and strike back with a moderately powerful attack will often be able to beat it.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Jolteon's Dream World ability is Quick Feet. While Quick Feet is by no means a bad ability, Jolteon is already quite fast, and the Electric-type immunity that Volt Absorb grants Jolteon allows it to switch in much more easily than it would be able to otherwise.
Quick Feet does grant Jolteon a unique niche in that it allows it to somewhat check common rain teams, but using Quick Feet Jolteon is somewhat a liability if you are not facing a rain team, and Toxicroak has a more established niche as a rain counter, anyway.(I feel this is irrelevant due to Aldaron)</p>

There is some "like" and "such as" overuse, but other than that, this covers Jolteon well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)