Jolteon [Done :D]

Jolteon
[Overview]

<p>Jolteon has always been a staple throughout the generations, but sadly, it takes a step back in this metagame. Known for its high Special Attack and insane Speed stat, Jolteon still plays as an effective and speedy attacker, but the emergence of Thundurus has dampened its presence somewhat. Its movepool is also very shallow; Jolteon must rely on Hidden Power for a secondary attack. Nevertheless, with the right support, Jolteon can be very difficult to stop, and this merits its use on most teams in VGC 2012.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Thunder Wave / Signal Beam
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash / Electric Gem
nature: Timid
ability: Volt Absorb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Jolteon's high Speed and Special Attack. Thunderbolt is Jolteon's main way of dealing damage, and is a reliable, powerful STAB move hitting Tornadus, and the omnipresent Politoed and rain teams for super effective damage. Hidden Power is the best way to get some coverage with Jolteon's regrettably lackluster movepool; Hidden Power Ice hits Ground-types that wall Jolteon, such as Garchomp, as well as the ever popular Dragon-types, Hidden Power Grass eliminates threats such as Swampert and Gastrodon which otherwise wall Jolteon. Thunder Wave is great for team support, crippling weather abusers such as Ludicolo and allowing your teammates to outspeed threats. However, If you run a Trick Room team, or already have a teammate who can inflict status, Signal Beam is good for hitting Pokemon such as Cresselia and Tyranitar for higher damage than Thunderbolt. Protect is a staple on any VGC 2012 Pokemon, and Jolteon is no exception, allowing a teammate to take out a counter.</p>

<p>Focus Sash is by far Jolteon's best item option due to its frailness; however, due to item clause, if another teammate is running Focus Sash, you may opt to use Electric Gem in order to boost Thunderbolt's strength.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are used in order to outspeed threats such as Scarf Chandelure, Abomasnow, and Jellicent and Starmie. 252 Special Attack EVs maximize the damage Jolteon's damage output. A Modest nature is an option in order to boost Jolteon's Special Attack further; nevertheless, the ability to outspeed the enemies listed above is far more important. Focus Sash is by far Jolteon's best item option due to its frailness. However, due to item clause, if another teammate is running Focus Sash, you may opt to use Electric Gem in order to boost Thunderbolt's strength.</p>

<p>Volt Absorb is Jolteon's ability of choice as it gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing it to switch in on Zapdos, Rotom-W and others. This is truly a godsend, as Joleon's frailty doesn't give it too many opportunities to switch in. Also, if you're running a rain team, Thunder is recommended over Thunderbolt for the added power, although you must watch out for weather changers such as Tyranitar and Ninetales, which can leave Jolteon with an inaccurate STAB attack.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Jolteon's offensive movepool is admittedly lackluster, but it has a variety of support options to consider, including Light Screen, Reflect, Helping Hand, Rain Dance, and even Agility with Baton Pass. Cresselia is arguably better at setting up dual screens and using Helping Hand due to its bulk; however, due to Jolteon's Speed, dual screens may be a viable option. Jolteon also has the highest Speed out of all Rain Dance users, allowing it to act as an effective Rain Dance supporter.</p>

<p>Although it is already faster than most pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, Jolteon's Dream World ability Quick Feet can be used in conjunction with a Flame or Toxic Orb in order to outspeed everything in the game, making it a very good Tailwind counter. However, the loss of Focus Sash hampers Jolteon's longevity by a good deal, and since it already outspeeds most of the metagame anyways, Jolteon is better off just using Volt Absorb. </p>

<p>Discharge can work as an Electric-type STAB move, allowing Jolteon to hit both opponents, but unless you are running a Ground-type or a pokemon with the ability Telepathy as a partner, Thunderbolt is typically better, as it doesn't hit Jolteon's partner. Volt Switch is an option that allows Jolteon to switch out of its counters while still dealing decent damage, but Ground-types will render it useless.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Jolteon's biggest weaknesses are fast physical priority attacks, and Earthquake. Enemies such as Hitmontop, Toxicroak, and others who possess a priority physical attack do massive damage bypassing Jolteon's high Speed. Status also cripples it, especially paralysis; Pokemon such as Whimsicott thus make great checks, as they can Stun Spore Jolteon, crippling it. However, take note that Jolteon is immune to Thunder Wave due to Volt Absorb. Attacks that lower Jolteon's Speed, such as Icy Wind, will also cripple it. Perhaps its biggest counter is Trick Room, where Jolteon becomes the slowest Pokemon on the field; slow, bulky Ground-types such as Gastrodon and Rhyperior can now outspeed and KO it.</p>

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Timid is vastly superior to Modest; for only a slight increase in power, Jolteon loses to Scarf Chandelure, +1 Blaziken, Swellow, Weavile, Alakazam, Dugtrio, Scarf Jellicent and Abomasnow, +2 Carracosta, Azelf, Starmie, and Timid Raikou. Definitely not worth it. Also take out Choice Specs, Jolteon has the speed but not the bone-crushing power of other, stronger users such as Hydreigon (and it's difficult to use even with that).

Hidden Power Ground is useless (although I think you meant Fighting), but Fighting 2HKOes both Abomasnow and Tyranitar, so it should definitely be slashed behind HP Ice.

SE Shadow Ball only hits 12% harder than STAB Thunderbolt, and STAB Thunder outdamages it even against targets it hits for super effective damage. Do not mention it. Quick Attack is also terrible with Jolteon's base 65 Attack.

Volt Switch can be kinda useful in the right situations, but I'd move that to Other Options, as its use is rather gimmicky, and put in Thunder Wave as the third move, with Signal Beam slashed. Signal Beam sounds dumb but really helps when using HP Ice, 3HKOing Tyranitar and 2HKOing Abomasnow. I'd also add the use of Helping Hand and Rain Dance in Other Options, to boost a partner's attack if Jolteon can't hit the opponent hard enough, and to put rain back up if Politoed dies and the opponent has a weather-changer; Jolteon's excellent speed allows it to use Rain Dance and Thunder Wave quite well, even without Prankster like Thundurus.

Also, move the mention of Quick Feet to Other Options and mention that with a status orb activated to get +1 Speed, Jolteon can outspeed everything up to +2 Timid Kingdra (which is rarely used and which Jolteon speedties with), providing a check to weather teams, Tailwind teams, and the like (although Jolteon does have issues with frailty without Focus Sash).

EDIT: Also, you should have posted in the analysis index to denote that this analysis has been written to be ready for QC; please do so next time.

Oh wow, I didn't know I missed out on outspeeding so many pokemon. I'll fix that up after school. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll make sure I fix al of them.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
please use the format in the Fifth Generation section. spacing, abbreviations, and order of natures, etc.

there are wayyyy too many slashes. since jolteon is mainly used with rain, i would like to see these moves listed:

thunder / thunderbolt
hidden power ice / hidden power grass
signal beam
protect

along with these item choices:

focus sash / electric gem.

air balloon really does not work as well on a pokemon with as little resistances as jolteon. specs can cause a bad scenario where protect is necessary to win. please move everything else to OO.

Ok, I'll edit in your, and cosmics, suggestions. Also, I got the format by making the set on PO and exporting to text. I'll change it now.
EDIT: Set has been fixed, as well as the format.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Formatting is still wrong, please look at the the guidelines in the announcement at the top of the forum.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think brackets are required for Hidden Power types

and the format should be

move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:

rather than the hyphens

I don't think brackets are required for Hidden Power types

and the format should be

move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:

rather than the hyphens
derp, I was going to fix that with my update, but I forgot >.<. Thanks, I'll get to that. Also, I'll take out Signal Beam.

Fixed.

breh

強いだね
cosmicexplorer: deleting my posts is a very bad way to get your point across. read what you are saying. 3HKO (on a side note, it actually only 4HKOes tar if max HP) tyranitar. this means that thunderbolt is almost as strong; hell, by that point, you have died to its rock slides or crunches or whatevers. signal beam also has a 12% chance to 2hko max HP abomasnow.

unless it's using life orb or scarf, you are simply not killing it. again, please do not delete any post of mine that disagrees with your opinions. feel free to comment why it is wrong or why you disagree with my disagreeing, but do not delete it.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi breludicolo, your posts were probably deleted because you don't know how to get a point across without a snarky attitude and backhanded insults!

there are nicer ways to talk pokemon and show that you know what you're doing without insulting the credibility of others!

breh

強いだね
I can't for the life of me guess why I'm getting a different value. I've checked everything. Have I missed something glaringly obvious? cherubi tells me this:

162 Atk vs 105 Def & 197 HP (75 Base Power): 88 - 104 (44.67% - 52.79%)

Is anything I have here wrong? I've tried on the smogon calculator and it gives me the same. Are you taking into account critical hits, perhaps?

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Yes, but please slash in Signal Beam after Thunder Wave; it hits Abomasnow harder than any other attack and has a usable chance to 2HKO (it's 100% with Fake Out or priority support).

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Yes; Volt Absorb gives Jolteon an immunity to Thunder Wave, which is especially handy against Thundurus, which is commonly used to check fast Pokemon such as Jolteon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)