move 1: Thunderbolt / Discharge
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Wish
move 4: Baton pass
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the specified EVs, Jolteon's Substitute will always survive neutral Hidden Power from 319 Special Attack (without STAB) in addition to other notable moves like Celebi's Grass Knot and Blissey's Ice Beam. The speed EVs ensure that Jolteon is slower than opposing Jolteon, allowing it to pass the Subsitute while remaining faster than most +1 Gyarados. 4 HP EVs and 8 SpD EVs can be reallocated to speed to beat +1 max speed neutral Gyarados. Light Screen support is very welcome here to boost the durability of Jolteon's Substitutes.</p>

<p>Any Jolteon can serve as an intermediary switch to absorb Electric-type attacks or Thunder Wave, but this particular build gives Jolteon additional options to Baton Pass something useful. With such defensive EVs, Jolteon is a safe switch into Zapdos. Additionally, Zapdos's build can be determined by the damage dealt by Heat Wave. If it deals 26 - 31%, Zapdos is most likely neutral natured with 0 SpA EVs; if Heat Wave deals 35 - 42%, then Zapdos is probably positively natured with max Special Attack. Jolteon can stall out the former by alternating between Wish and Substitute and Magnezone's Hidden Power can be treated the same way. It takes time to learn how to use this moveset effectively, but if you persevere, you will be pleasantly surprised by its usefulness.</p>

Edit: corrected =O

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[SET]
name: Team Support
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 4: Baton pass
ability: Volt Absorb
evs: 252 HP / 24 SpDef / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the specified EVs, Jolteon's Substitute will always survive neutral Hidden Power from 319 Special Attack (without STAB) in addition to other notable moves like Celebi's Grass Knot and Blissey's Ice Beam. The speed EVs ensure that Jolteon is slower than opposing Jolteon, allowing it to pass the Subsitute (nsc) while remaining faster than Timid Shaymin-s and most +1 Gyarados. Light Screen support is very welcome here to boost the durability of Jolteon's Substitutes.</p>

<p>Any Jolteon can serve as an intermediary switch to absorb Electric-type attacks or Thunder Wave, but this particular build gives Jolteon additional options to Baton Pass something useful. With such defensive EVs, Jolteon is a safe switch into Zapdos. Zapdos's build can be determined by the damage dealt by Heat Wave. If Zapdos's Heat Wave deals 26 - 31%, Zapdos is most likely neutral natured with 0 SpA EVs; if Heat Wave deals 35 - 42%, Zapdos is probably positive natured with max Special Attack. Jolteon can stall out the former by alternating between Wish and Substitute (nc) and Magnezone's Hidden Power can be treated the same way. It takes time to learn how to use this moveset effectively, but if you persevere, you will be pleasantly surprised by its usefulness.</p>
Fixed I think.

(nsc) = no semi colon
(nc) = no comma

Putting the speed at 244 means you always outspeed Adamant Gyara after a Dragon Dance. Do those 3 extra points in SDef make all the difference?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Putting the speed at 244 means you always outspeed Adamant Gyara after a Dragon Dance. Do those 3 extra points in SDef make all the difference?
Those SpDef EVs guarantee substitute's survival against timid Jolteon's hidden power:

There are only 2 reasons to run said Gyarados:

1) Timid Skymin
2) Neutral base 80; Gallade/Mamoswine

Neutral max speed is not really seen on other OU base 80 Pokemon.

If Skymin is elevated to uber status, Jolteon's recommended speed will be altered to 384. However, I will include a comment about adjusting speed EVs to beat max speed adamant Gyarados. 248/0/0/0/16/244 would mean that hidden power needs to deal maximum damage to break substitute from 319 special attack.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The ability tag isn't used if the Pokemon only has 1 ability.

Edit: Random but who in OU uses a STAB Hidden Power lol

With the specified EVs, Jolteon's Substitute will always survive neutral Hidden Power from 319 Special Attack (without STAB)

Might be a little late, but Jolteon learned Discharge in Platinum and since this is team support it can be a primary option over T-bolt.

I tried using Discharge and it allowed me to beat Curselax (that lacked Rest) thanks to some parahax and Sub + Wish. Charge Beam I suppose could work...

I love running Wish / Thunderbolt / Toxic / Protect or Substitute Jolteon. I meant to write an analysis on it, but it may as well be added on here if that is okay? (As a separate set).

With Protect, you often beat defensive Zapdos, Celebi, and Blissey, all of whom will not outdamage Wish and then Protect. When you consider Jolteon can switch into these threats relatively easily (note: watch for Life Orb Zapdos, and RestTalk Zapdos), it is a great Pokémon. Sub can be used to ease prediction though, but generally Protect is the better option, with Substitute it is much harder to stall things out. Protect helps against Choice users too. Substitute avoids status though, namely Toxic.

0 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt to 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 37.58% - 44.72% - guaranteed 2HKO with Stealth Rock, no Leftovers gain. If Zapdos doesn't have Life Orb, it can only manage 45.02% - 53.14% -- Jolteon should win out with Leftovers, Wish, and Protect.

I'll write this up in a couple of days if you want? I am working on Dialga too, but I can find time for this. :]

[SET]
name: Team Support
(I'd change the title to distinguish from other support sets. Something with the word 'bulky' I guess.)
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 4: Baton Pass
evs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the specified EVs, Jolteon's Substitute will always survive a neutral Hidden Power from 319 Special Attack (without STAB) in addition to other notable moves like Celebi's Grass Knot and Blissey's Ice Beam. 232 Spe EVs ensure that Jolteon is slower than opposing Jolteon, allowing it to pass the Substitute (missing a t) while remaining faster than Timid Shaymin-s and most +1 Gyarados. 4 HP EVs and 8 SpD EVs can be reallocated to Speed to beat +1 max Speed neutral Gyarados. (It should be the primary EV spread, since speed brackets are absolute to the single point and small changes to defenses are negligible. Also, max Speed neutral Gyarados is the most popular EV spread in this ultra-offensive metagame.) Light Screen support is very welcome here to boost the durability of Jolteon's Substitutes.</p>
Shaymin-s is uber now, so remove the reference and recalcuate the speed EVs.

<p>Any Jolteon can serve as an intermediary switch to absorb Electric-type attacks or Thunder Wave, but this particular build gives Jolteon additional options to Baton Pass something useful. With such defensive EVs, Jolteon is a safe switch into Zapdos. Additionally, Zapdos's build can be determined by the damage dealt by Heat Wave. If it deals 26 - 31%, Zapdos is most likely neutral natured with 0 SpA EVs; if Heat Wave deals 35 - 42%, then Zapdos is probably positively natured with max Special Attack. Jolteon can stall out the former by alternating between Wish and Substitute and Magnezone's Hidden Power can be treated the same way. It takes practice to learn how to use this moveset effectively, but if you persevere, you will be pleasantly surprised by its usefulness.</p>

Edit: corrected =O
I'd add Discharge as an option next to Thunderbolt, because the 30% paralysis rate goes with the support theme. Paralysis gives the BP recipient an easier time to set up or simply just retain the Substitute.

Anyway, good start!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)