Joltik

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Name: Bachuru (バチュル)
National Dex Number: 595
Type: Bug / Electric
Abilities: Compoundeyes - Raises the accuracy of moves, Tension - the opponent can't eat berries, Swarm - Bug-type moves get boosted by 1.5 when at 1/3rd HP or less (Dream World)
Egg Group: Bug

Base Stats (Min - Max)
HP: 50 (20 - 24)
Attack: 47 (8 - 15)
Defense: 50 (9 - 15)
Special Attack: 57 (9 - 16)
Special Defense: 50 (9 - 15)
Speed: 65 (10 - 17)

Level Up Moves:
Lv1: String Shot, Lv1: Leech Life, Lv1: Spider Web, Lv4: Thunder Wave, Lv7: Screech, Lv12: Fury Cutter, Lv15: Electra Net, Lv18: Bug Bite, Lv23: Gastro Acid, Lv26: Slash, Lv29: Electra Ball, Lv34: Signal Beam, Lv37: Agility, Lv40: Sucker Punch, Lv45: Discharge, Lv48: Bug Buzz

Egg Moves:
Pin Missile
Poison Sting
Cross Poison
Rock Climb
Pursuit
Disable
Faint Attack

TMs and HMs:
TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM70 - Flash, TM72 - Volt Change, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM76 - Bug Resistance, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM93 - Wild Bolt, HM01 - Cut

Bachuru is a promising little arachnid. Much more promising than Spinarak, anyways. It probably has one of the coolest type combinations in the game. Bug / Electric comes with only two weaknesses, although the Rock-type weakness is a big one, and two very useful resists: Electric and Fighting. Having Bug as a STAB is never a bad thing, and having Electric as a STAB is always good. It's just a cool typing, both fanboy and competitive wise. And it's unique to Bachuru.

In the stat department, Bachuru falls average in every stat aside Speed and Special Attack. 50 / 50 / 50 defenses aren't terrible, but they aren't exceptional either. It's 47 Attack is just barely enough to get the job done as a physical sweeper. But its 57 Special Attack and 65 Speed that make Bachuru a potentially good Special Sweeper. That base Speed puts it up into the 17 Speed tier with Timid, which is the minimum Speed most Pokemon seem to want to reach this generation. And that Special Attack reaches 15 with Modest, which is a little low, but Life Orb makes up for it.

In the movepool department, Bachuru has little support or defensive options. Bachuru is most likely going to be sticking to all out offense. And it has the moves to do so. Its special movepool is great, featuring moves like Bug Buzz, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Hidden Power, Charge Beam and two new additions, Electa Ball and Volt Change. Electa Ball has higher power when its faster than its opponent and Volt Change is basically a Electric-type U-Turn. Bachuru can raise its Speed with Agility, which in theory will make Electra Ball stronger. It's physical movepool is decent, including moves like X-Scissor, Wild Bolt and the always appreciated Sucker Punch.

Bachuru's fault come in the form of its abilities. While its abilities are awesome, it has little way to exploit them. Most of Bachuru's moves have perfect accuracy, making Compoundeyes useless. Since Berry Juice's ban has been lifted for the start of Gen 5, Tension is near useless as well. That leaves Swarm as its main ability to use, which is a situational ability in its own right. It's only other real problem is being Stealth Rock weak, which always hurts a Pokemon.

To sum everything up, Bachuru is a unique Pokemon. Its typing is good, its stats are decent and its movepool is great. The Stealth Rock weakness hurts, as does the inability to exploit its wonderful abilities. But don't let that hold you back from using Bachuru. This little spider shows a lot of promise. You would be wise to not step into its parlor anytime soon.

Sets:

Name: Choice Scarf
EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 236 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Timid
~ Volt Change
~ Bug Buzz
~ Electra Ball
~ Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice

With 15 Special Attack, 17 Speed and Volt Change, Bachuru has the right ingredients to be an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf equipped. Bug Buzz and Electra Ball are your strongest weapons and hit most of the tier for at least neutral damage. Energy Ball and Hidden Power Ice are mostly filler. Energy Ball is superior unless you really fear Gligar, who will easily be OHKOed by Hidden Power Ice.

Name: Agility
EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 236 Spe
Item: Life Orb / Berry Juice
Nature: Modest
~ Agility
~ Electra Ball
~ Bug Buzz
~ Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice

With a Modest nature, Agility boosts Bachuru's 16 Speed to an impressive 32 Speed, putting it at the right Speed to outspeed just about anything. Electra Ball, in theory, is your best option. With your Speed being boosted by Agility, Electra Ball's base power jumps. Bug Buzz provides Bachuru with a powerful Bug-STAB. Energy Ball or Hidden Power Ice hit any pesky Ground-types who stand in your way. The only reason to use Hidden Power Ice over Energy Ball is to score an OHKO on Gligar.

Name: Step Into My Parlor
EVs: 36 HP/ 220 Atk / 236 Spe
Item: Life Orb / Liechi Berry
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
~ Substitute
~ Sucker Punch
~ X-Scissor
~ Wild Bolt

Physical Bachuru may be weaker than its special counterpart, but it has the advantage of priority and surprise, hence the set's name. Use Substitute as a safety net to protect you from damage and to force your opponent into "dead if I do, dead if I don't" scenario with Sucker Punch. Well, maybe not dead, since its Attack is only average, but you get the idea. X-Scissor and Wild Bolt provide STAB, but only use Wild Bolt when you have to, since the recoil really stings.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
<+iss> use compoundeyes thunder
<+iss> it's 92% accurate
<+iss> and it needs the power

That's my only suggestion. This thing will really hurt, but I think it might not make top 20 with all these other mons running around. Really frail too.

CURSE YOU DRACOYOSHI! i was just gonna right an analysis on him..... I agree with iss. The added power on thunder would really help him out. Maybe you could try a banded set :D. with x scissor an stuff.

Yeah, I would definitely use Thunderbolt over Electra Ball with all of LC's speed tiers being so close together. I'm not exactly sure what the mechanics are, but I doubt it will ever reach Thunderbolt's power.

Maybe it would work on the agility set, and you could see if extra base power from a Timid nature or extra special attack from a Modest nature does more damage.

It doesn't get thunder, according to that list.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mantyke with lower defensive stats and a worse ability and worse (slightly) STABs that's more Munchlax weak. T.T

It does do better against water types, though.

Yeah Bachuru doesn't learn Thunder, even through TM. So compoundeyes doesn't seem like a usable ability. Tension seems to be the most useful. Sure, Berry Juice would render it useless, but other berries like Lum would be rendered useless. Tie that in with paralysis support, and Bachuru could shut down potential sweepers.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure what's with all the Swarm love. Tension is an epic ability in Little Cup because next to every wall runs Oran Berry, and even a few setup sweepers. Unless someone can explain to me how Bachuru is reliably getting to 33%-, Tension is definitiely the superior ability.

Tension Thunderbolts would likely seem just as destructive as the nonexistant CompoundThunder for Bachuru. Swarm would only really power up Bug Buzz, and I would highly favor cancelling out a Harvest Exxeggscute (sp?) or a common Oran wall.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure what's with all the Swarm love. Tension is an epic ability in Little Cup because next to every wall runs Oran Berry, and even a few setup sweepers. Unless someone can explain to me how Bachuru is reliably getting to 33%-, Tension is definitiely the superior ability.
From what I know from IRC, we are unbanning everything in Little Cup during the beginning of Gen 5, including Scyther and Berry Juice. Unless I missed something, Tension doesn't stop a Pokemon from using Berry Juice, so Tension is useless except against the odd Liechi / Salac / Petaya Pokemon and maybe Yache Gligar.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Do we actually know how Electra Ball's BP is calculated? I have seen speculation that it will be the same formula as Gyro Ball's, which would make it a total garbage move. Even if it has its own way of being calculated, we don't know how strong it is. I would personally rather go with the reliable TBolt than a move whose BP is unknown and, more likely than not, weaker than TBolt.

Volt Change looks really cool imo, but you have to really look out for Gligar, Hippo and Doryuuzu or whatever it's called. It's too bad that it doesn't get U-Turn, which nothing is immune to. I personally probably won't be using Bachuru much, but I do forsee it being a popular choice.

Yeah, Compoundeyes and Thunder really should be used on the Scarf set. :0 On the Agility set, Electra Ball and Swarm are probably more useful, since there's the possibility of taking damage and activating Swarm during setup, plus the greater speed boost is more conducive to Electra Ball.

Also, I believe the expression was 'Step into my lair, said the spider to the fly...' fufufufu~

I doubt electra ball will be worth it over thunder. Even after an agility, they need 1/4th of its speed (so 8 speed), for it to do 150 power. Unless your fighting a trick room team your gonna generally be doing equal or less than thunder

Charge Beam is an excellent alternative over Electra Ball on the Agility set, since after an Agility and a Charge Beam, you most likely have the power of a Specs set, and more Speed than a Scarf set. It definitely deserves a mention on the original post.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/595.shtml should clarify any doubts people have over Bachuru's moveset. He doesnt get Thunder.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not really. 63%(factoring in accuracy) is not a chance to be proud of. Saying its excellent in bold is an overstatement. Too unreliable for use with Komatana running around, and besides, Charge Beam boosting in LC is a gimmick, due to the fast paced nature of the tier.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Destiny, he has compoundeyes, so that's 70% if you want it to be.

Besides, it's also a base power 75 with stab attack, so against something slow and almost dead, it's guaranteed.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bachuru @ Liechi Berry Ability: Anxiety
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 40 Def / 36 SDef / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bug Bite
- Agility
- Sucker Punch
- Wild bolt

Agility/Wild Bolt can get you to Liechi Range with its reasonable 22/12/12 defenses. And bug bite can get an oran berry or (rare) boosting berry they might have. Oran berry is pretty common as well. No Swarm because I dont like using stuff that isn't legal yet.

To bad Liechi is illegal in this gen.

I would consider running a mixed bachuru set, if only because of sucker punch :P
Bachuru (M) @ Life Orb/Oran berry Trait: Anxiety
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Sucker Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Energy ball
- Bug Buzz

LO would be the obvious choice, but sadly bachuru takes 2 hp from LO so Oran is worth using. Sucker punch is there because we love priority in LC, Tbolt and Bug buzz for stab, and HP ice is mostly there for Gligar, although if you're not afraid of Gligar you could run Energy ball, even though I would not use it.

To bad Liechi is illegal in this gen.

I would consider running a mixed bachuru set, if only because of sucker punch :P
Bachuru (M) @ Life Orb/Oran berry Trait: Anxiety
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Sucker Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Energy ball
- Bug Buzz

LO would be the obvious choice, but sadly bachuru takes 2 hp from LO so Oran is worth using. Sucker punch is there because we love priority in LC, Tbolt and Bug buzz for stab, and HP ice is mostly there for Gligar, although if you're not afraid of Gligar you could run Energy ball, even though I would not use it.
I like the idea, but shouldn't those HP EVs go into Attack to boost SP's power? Or is there like no room or something?

That's what I thought, I just wanted to double-check whether that was the case in case they could go into Attack. Doesn't hurt to check...

That's what I thought, I just wanted to double-check whether that was the case in case they could go into Attack. Doesn't hurt to check...
Checking is always good. Otherwise we get things like Swimming Goggles and X-Scissor Heracross. We can't have that.

I'd like to add something regarding the Choice Scarf Set.

Bachuru's Hidden Power Ice only has a 2.56% chance to OHKO Gliscor with Evolution Stone and no Hp EVs, doing an average 15 Atk vs 19 Def & 23 HP (70 Base Power): 20 - 24 (86.96% - 104.35%) per hit.

It's also worth mentioning that Gligar with at least 25 Hp, which is only slightly bulkier than average, avoids the OHKO entirely, sitting at a nice 4% left. Just thought I'd give HP Ice runners this heads up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)