Journey to putting on serious muscle mass (75kg by may 2015)

Hello Smogon. For a long time I've never really payed attention to how thin I was and it was not until recently when I looked at myself in the mirror that I felt like shit.

22 years old and weighing barely 50kg is pretty bad..you'd think I was a malnourished african kid...

Anyways the point of this thread is to server as a place where I share my 12 week plan to gain 15-20kgs by dirty bulking plus doing 5x5 workout plan. I had to resort to this due to my insanely fast metabolism.

I'd like to share my progress during the course of this plan that I'm doing rather than simply post a before and after picture, this motivates me more and might be interesting for others to see someone as thin as me become pretty bulky.

There will be 36 days ( 3 workout days a week ) of this.

CALORIES: Currently I am to be having 2800-3000 calories a day, which will increase once I hit 55kg.

Day 1:

I will be improving the video quality and increasing duration so excuse my very first video.

I'll be updating this post with new videos as I workout through every week giving updates on various stuff.

Thanks!

[Log]
[Day 1 08/01/14]: Weight 52 kg / Body Fat 6% / Calories 1400 (Due to severe stomach pain)
[Day 2 10/01/14]: Weight 51 / Body Fat 6% / Calories 2300

Last edited:
Best of luck. Id recommend you get a good whey protein and maybe some creatine as this will make the process a bit quicker. I wouldnt recommend dirty bulking though,as it is very unhealthy and I know how annoying a fast metabolism is as regards to bulking but If you eat healthy with foods rich in protein like red meat, peanuts, fish, skinless chicken, you should have no problem bulking. You wont bulk up anytime soon without eating adequate amounts of protein. Anyways best of luck mate

Day 2:

I managed to recover from the stomache pains meaning that I can eat alot more, hitting 3200 calories in day 2. Unfortunately the 3 days which I wasnt eating as well caused my weight to drop back to 51 so thats a slight set back.

I havent increased my squats weight simply to improve my form which I managed to perfect this time round, any veterans please feel to critique.

acebass32 I bought a weight gainer from biotronics so hopefully that'll skyrocket my bulking and i could do with getting extra protein, thanks for the advice.

Excerises done:

-Deadlifts
-Squats
-Overhead press
-Bicep curls (machine)
-Pulldowns

Next update on Monday. Thanks for the supporting comments

So what exactly do you eat to get to 3200 calories a day? That sounds like quite a lot
EVERYTHING
Peanut Butter and McDonald's are probably your most efficient sources dirty bulking sources.

Good choice to start on the 5x5 program!! It is almost the safest bet for beginners and still pretty effective as you progress.

I train a lot of skinny people looking to get big, so I have a couple quick tips that hopefully won't mess with what you already have going on too much. You could try supplementing your meal plan with slices of bread(80-100 calories each usually) every 45 minutes. Complex carbs from the bread have a metabolism+catabolism(your body breaking down muscle/fat/glycogen reserves that you already had before to provide energy) slowing effect which is crucial for skinny-types. Also, try to limit vigorous physical activity to <1 hour per day and not too many days in a row. Again, this is because prolonged exertion induces catabolism which is one of the biggest obstacles of skinny-types.

GOOD LUCK! Hopefully you can join the no-leg push up club soon lol

^ probably being naive here, but I'm assuming you don't just down 2-3 Big Macs? Or is the point just for the calories and the working out converts it into muscle or whatever?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
As someone planning a similar regimen.

DON'T RUSH.

DO NOT ABSOLUTELY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DIRTY BULK. Especially in the "recommended" manner here. Stuffing yourself with McD's and shit.

I've seen people go down that path and later their bodies couldn't keep up. And the damage done to your metabolism is severe and near irreparable. A fast metabolism is no excuse to fuck your cardiovascular system up. And not to mention any gains made in such a manner is nigh impossible to maintain in any manner without putting extraordinary stress on your body continuously.

Dirty bulking in any manner is kind of gain fast-lose fast line. But if you really feel the need to undergo that (hey, it's your body) then do it the proper way. Go on a rice diet. Eat every few hours but keep your dietary choices healthy. Milk, lotsa protein, lotsa carbs. etc etc.

As I said earlier regardless of what you follow, dirty bulking does really screw your food cycle up, because gradually you'll feel hungry every few hours, as your body will start expecting food. And should you need to abandon the program or slow down after gaining the desirable muscle mass, it'll be hard to cut back. For all intents and purposes it's a one way ticket to obesity without massive self control. Ever seen how many of contact sport atheletes start resembling snorlax after a fair bit in their post-retirement years?
So yeah keep all that in mind. regardless Ive seen people successfully cut back after intensive dirty bulking, but it's been very hard for them.

Bulk systematically. Bulk Gradually. Stay fit even in your golden years.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Oh no no, don't eat stuff from McDonalds.
Although you could gain weight quick by doing that, the trans fat and saturated fats you obtain that way is quite harmful. Not to mention the amount of preservatives they use in Mc's.

I would recommend lots of proteins and starch. Like, lots of potatoes or rice.

Day 3:

Getting good calorie intake the past few days and my body fat is about 7% now lol, the amount of fat i got is quite noticeable now so thats some good progress. i'll show a body shot next week to compare with my first one a week ago.

My squats are getting alot better now and i feel that i want to jump another 10kg tomorrow when i go gym, would that be a wise move?

Excerises done:

-Bench press 45 kg (+5kg from last session)
-Squats 50 kg (+10kg from last session)
-Overhead press 30 kg (5kg from last session)
-Reverse wrist curls 7.5kg

So what exactly do you eat to get to 3200 calories a day? That sounds like quite a lot
I just focus on foods with alot of calories like potatoes, cheese, peanut butter, nuts etc man, its still pretty hard for me to hit that amount currently but my body is adjusting.

EVERYTHING
Peanut Butter and McDonald's are probably your most efficient sources dirty bulking sources.

Good choice to start on the 5x5 program!! It is almost the safest bet for beginners and still pretty effective as you progress.

I train a lot of skinny people looking to get big, so I have a couple quick tips that hopefully won't mess with what you already have going on too much. You could try supplementing your meal plan with slices of bread(80-100 calories each usually) every 45 minutes. Complex carbs from the bread have a metabolism+catabolism(your body breaking down muscle/fat/glycogen reserves that you already had before to provide energy) slowing effect which is crucial for skinny-types. Also, try to limit vigorous physical activity to <1 hour per day and not too many days in a row. Again, this is because prolonged exertion induces catabolism which is one of the biggest obstacles of skinny-types.

GOOD LUCK! Hopefully you can join the no-leg push up club soon lol
Thanks dude, I'm currently doing various forms of pushups but it'll be a while before i can do it without any legs involved lol. Yeah i focus on eating alot of bread, potatoes and oats to aid my bulking.

As someone planning a similar regimen.

DON'T RUSH.

DO NOT ABSOLUTELY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DIRTY BULK. Especially in the "recommended" manner here. Stuffing yourself with McD's and shit.

I've seen people go down that path and later their bodies couldn't keep up. And the damage done to your metabolism is severe and near irreparable. A fast metabolism is no excuse to fuck your cardiovascular system up. And not to mention any gains made in such a manner is nigh impossible to maintain in any manner without putting extraordinary stress on your body continuously.

Dirty bulking in any manner is kind of gain fast-lose fast line. But if you really feel the need to undergo that (hey, it's your body) then do it the proper way. Go on a rice diet. Eat every few hours but keep your dietary choices healthy. Milk, lotsa protein, lotsa carbs. etc etc.

As I said earlier regardless of what you follow, dirty bulking does really screw your food cycle up, because gradually you'll feel hungry every few hours, as your body will start expecting food. And should you need to abandon the program or slow down after gaining the desirable muscle mass, it'll be hard to cut back. For all intents and purposes it's a one way ticket to obesity without massive self control. Ever seen how many of contact sport atheletes start resembling snorlax after a fair bit in their post-retirement years?
So yeah keep all that in mind. regardless Ive seen people successfully cut back after intensive dirty bulking, but it's been very hard for them.

Bulk systematically. Bulk Gradually. Stay fit even in your golden years.
Thanks for the advice man! Yeah I'm not going to jump up my calorie intakes at a quick rate as I dont think my body would be able to keep up, even now with 2800-3000 on an average day, its pretty hard to cope lol. As for losing fat for me it wont be an issue since my metabolism is annoyingly fast its not even funny

Oh no no, don't eat stuff from McDonalds.
Although you could gain weight quick by doing that, the trans fat and saturated fats you obtain that way is quite harmful. Not to mention the amount of preservatives they use in Mc's.

I would recommend lots of proteins and starch. Like, lots of potatoes or rice.
Yeah I dont eat fast food more than twice a week and thanks will add more brown rice to my diet

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
idk man Soul Fly, i for one have been bulking for almost 2 months now and it's really fucking hard to eat 3000 calories of good food. i'm a skinny fucker and i'm simply not hungry enough to eat that much; at a certain point the thought of eating just turns me off. so i supplement my diet with mcdoubles or whatever calorie dense protein dense food there is. i don't really have much muscle mass so i'd rather get a bit fat and put on some real muscle, and do a cut once i'm actually strong, than stay at this same weight forever.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
A few months in and you get used to it.
The human body will never refuse more food.

5X5 is a great way to launch into weight lifting, it certainly worked great for me :D I will echo what others in this thread have said and advise you to avoid dirty bulking, particularly the kind that involves eating the shit ties types of food, the best option is to take a more traditional balanced approach!!!

5X5 is a great way to launch into weight lifting, it certainly worked great for me :D I will echo what others in this thread have said and advise you to avoid dirty bulking, particularly the kind that involves eating the shit ties types of food, the best option is to take a more traditional balanced approach!!!
I'm trying to get more quality foods in my meals nowadays so yeah thanks

idk man Soul Fly, i for one have been bulking for almost 2 months now and it's really fucking hard to eat 3000 calories of good food. i'm a skinny fucker and i'm simply not hungry enough to eat that much; at a certain point the thought of eating just turns me off. so i supplement my diet with mcdoubles or whatever calorie dense protein dense food there is. i don't really have much muscle mass so i'd rather get a bit fat and put on some real muscle, and do a cut once i'm actually strong, than stay at this same weight forever.
I feel exactly the same, I just add some healthy shit here and there, mainly for vitamins and minerals (like loads of fruit and veggies to help with your intake of protein and keep your body in shape).

DAY 4:

Squats 55kg (+5 from last time)
Benching 35kg (-10 from last time)
Military press 40kg (+5 from last time)

Video shows my body after 2 weeks into the program, I figure I need to work more on my arms though, Chest and back are fine imo. My weight isnt skyrocketting but it is nevertheless increasing somewhat....I might need to increase my calorie intake i guess..

I'm using a weight gain shake from now on taking it daily which adds an extra 1200 calories and 60g of protein which is much needed (the protein that is).

Last edited:
DAY 5:

For anyone who gives a shit.

Seems like I somehow torn a number of muscles in my quads and will just have to let it heal. Will give it a week or so to heal back.

Increased my barbell rows to 50kg which is good, done some calf raises (high rep low weight) and a myriad of bicep and tricep exercises. Finished off the day with some inclined crunches and dips.

Target for Monday:

Dumbell presses: 15kg (Up by 2.5kg)
Bench press: 40kg (Up by 5kg)
Barbell rows: 55kg (Up by 5kg)
Squats if possible (60kg)

Would it be advised for me to attempt to squat on Monday or should i wait a week or so. The pain was quite intense and everytime i try to do squatting motion without any weight i still feel the quads tensing up and causing alot of pain. This for sure isn't related to protein deficiency or lack of warming up which at first I thought it might be. i don't know if it caused by me going up quickly in terms of adding alot of weight within a short space of time or not?

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd suggest try to do bodyweight squats with proper form as though you had the bar, then see if the quad bothers you, and if it hurts with BW then something could be wrong. It could hip flexor stiffness or abductors (the inside of the quads) stiffness. If possible see a doctor as they're the ones that can ultimately know! Just stay in tune with your body.

Keep it up man, I like the dedication!

You weren't 6% bodyfat in the beginning video. You were probably 10-13% body fat. IF you were 6% bodyfat you would be shredded and you would see your core a lot easier.

Just wanted to clerify bruh bruh

You weren't 6% bodyfat in the beginning video. You were probably 10-13% body fat. IF you were 6% bodyfat you would be shredded and you would see your core a lot easier.

Just wanted to clerify bruh bruh
I am 7% body fat... I measured myself and I am nowhere near 10%.

Bad Ass, please check out Sunflower Seeds & Pumpkin seeds. No sodium (if you pick unsalted), no cholesterol, basically pure protein & healthy fats (about 7-8 g protein, 18-20 g fat per serving). I am dieting from a place of being morbidly obese on around a 1400-1700 average calories and eating them for a healthy fat on days I make it long enough without being hungry.

I do not know if there could be a negative side effect from eating a lot of servings of them a day, but I have to imagine it would be less of a bad side effect than a lot of dairy or a lot of fatty meat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)