Jumpluff [Revamp] [QC 0/3]

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Jumpluff

[Overview]

• Known as fast SubSeed user in previous generations with little offensive presence
  • Flying Gem and Acrobatics gives Jumpluff an offensive niche
  • Can be a surprising sweeper with excellent speed and Swords Dance
  • Perfectly capable of setting up Sunny Day
  • Still a usable SubSeed user
  • Weak to common typings such as Fire, Ice, and Rock
  • Offensive sets are fairly easily revenge killed, due to poor defensive typing

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Sleep Powder / Substitute / Encore
item: Flying Gem
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• By far Jumpluff's best offensive set
  • Outspeeds much of the tier unboosted
  • Decent coverage hitting most of the tier for neutral damage
  • Swords Dance used to boost Jumpluff's Attack
  • Seed Bomb is best Grass-type STAB Jumpluff has access to
  • Acrobatics is Flying STAB which goes great with Flying Gem
  • Sleep Powder, Substitute, and Encore are all capable of allowing Jumpluff to ease setting up.
  • Specifically, Sleep Powder can allow Jumpluff to set up while the opponent can't do much sleeping, Substitute protects Jumpluff from status allowing Jumpluff to safely set up, and Encore can force switches gaining momentum allowing it to setup.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EVs for maximum Attack and ensuring Jumpluff speed ties with Tauros and other max speed Jumpluff
  • Can use Bounce as an alternative, weaker Flying attack opiton
  • Sunny Day support may benefit Jumpluff, being able to outspeed everything with a Chlorophyll boost. Some usable Sunny Day users are Volbeat and Liepard, which can U-Turn into Jumpluff for momentum.
  • Hazard support from Garbodor and Scolipede is vital for allowing Jumpluff to secure extra KOs, namely securely a OHKO with Spikes and Stealth Rock with Flying Gem Acrobatics on Tangela
  • Hard hitting Ground- and Fighting-types such as Sawk and Seismitoad can soften Steel-types namely Basitodon and Probopass, both which threaten Jumpluff
  • Alomomola makes a solid partner, being able to take priority and wall threats such as Piloswine and Kangaskhan

[SET]
name: SubSeed
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Encore
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

• Jumpluff's classic SubSeed set
  • Capable of stalling defensive threats such as Wartortle and Alomomola and healing itself in the process
  • Substitute is for blocking status and taking hits from common walls
  • Leech seed absorbs the opponent's HP and allows Jumpluff to heal damage taken or damage from using Substitute
  • Sleep Powder puts potential switch-ins into Jumpluff asleep, hindering them of doing anything useful to Jumpluff
  • Encore traps opponent's into using moves rather harmless to Jumpluff, such as Encore on a Pokemon using Stealth Rock

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Jumpluff can use other support moves successfully
  • Protect allows Jumpluff to collect extra Leech Seed damage
  • Toxic can be used to wear down opponent's quicker
  • Giga Drain, while being rather weak can heal a bit more damage and prevent Jumpluff from being Taunt bait
  • Toxic Spikes support from Scolipede or Garbodor goes great with Jumpluff, increasing its stalling ability
  • Strong Fire-types such as Charizard support Jumpluff well, being able to deal with potential Grass-type switch-ins, which are immune to Leech Seed
  • A Taunt-user can be used as a partner, such as Skuntank or Samurott to handle other Taunt-users such as Liepard which may pose a threat to Jumpluff

[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Encore
move 4: Memento
item: Heat Rock
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

• Jumpluff is a capable weather setter for Sun teams
  • Sunny Day allows Jumpluff to set up sun and provide support for Exeggutor, Charizard, and other sun abusers.
  • Sleep Powder can put foes to sleep, and potentially allow aforementioned sun abusers to
  • Encore can also allow sun abusers to have less trouble setting up, and trap Stealth Rock users or setup sweepers into one move
  • Memento weakens the opponent allowing an abuser to take an attack with more ease

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Heat Rock ensures sun stays up longer
  • U-Turn is another option rather than Memento, allowing Jumpluff to setup sun multiple times
  • Sun abusers are obviously good partners for Jumpluff, as they can both benefit each other.
  • Some potential usable sun abusers are Exeggutor and Victreebel which are two of the best Chlorophyll users. Victreebel also absorbs Toxic Spikes, which may be beneficial for some sun-teams
  • Charizard is another great sun abuser, getting a boost from Solar Power.
  • Other sun users such as Regirock should be used along with Jumpluff, to allow sun to stay up and both synergize well
  • Given no attacking moves, Taunt poses a problem to this set too as Jumpluff is shut down by Taunt from Liepard. Hard hitters such as Sawk and Gurdurr can handle some common Taunt-users

[Other Options]

• Jumpluff has plently more support moves
  • Aromatherapy turns Jumpluff into a fast cleric
  • Synthesis can be used for recovery
  • Amensia and Cotton Guard are alternative boosting moves to increase Jumpluff's bulk
  • Stun Spore can be used rather than Sleep Powder to reduce faster opponent's Speed
  • Giga Drain allows Jumpluff to do extra damage on SubSeed sets, but is rather weak
  • An all out special set in the sun can be used, but Jumpluff's Special Attack is rather poor and is not capable of boosting it.

[Checks and Counters]
    • Steel-types, such as Probopass, Bastidon resist Acrobatics and take Seed Bomb rather well from Jumpluff, checking the Swords Dance set
    • Sawsbuck and Miltank with Sap Sipper simply laugh at SubSeed, but Sawsbuck must be wary of Acrobatics from offensive set
    • Other Grass-types such as Serperior and Tangela have little trouble with SubSeed sets, having immunity to Leech Seed
    • Vital Spirit allows Primeape, Electabuzz, and Magmar switch-in with more ease to Sleep Powder
    • Jumpluff can be revenge-killed rather easily from faster threats such as Swellow and Scarf users such as Rotom-S
    • Piloswine puts fear into Jumpluff with a combination of Icicle Spear and Ice Shard which both decimate Jumpluff
    • Taunt shuts down non-Swords Dance sets of Jumpluff

Hi, just throwing my 2 cents :)

• In the Set Comments, you say that SD maximizes Jumpluff's attack. Could you be more specific on that? Maybe note certain KOs it gets after a boost? A new player may find its Base 55 Attack underwhelming and may skip the set entirely.
  • There are certain signs of fluff / uneeded information in the analysis, maybe cut it down a bit?

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm no QC, so you can choose whether to use what I say or not, but I just got a few things:

[Overview]

-You have no negative points on the overview, when Jumpluff really isn't that amazing of a Pokemon. Why is Stealth Rock not even mentioned in this section? That is definitely worth mentioning. You don't want to give readers the wrong message that Jumpluff has no flaws, when it really does. For one, it's not that bulky, and it has many common weaknesses, namely Fire-, Rock-, and -Ice.

[Swords Dance SET COMMENTS]

"Sleep Powder, Substitute, and Encore are all capable of allowing Jumpluff to ease setting up."
That is slightly vague, as each one of these moves have a purpose. If they all are capable of the same thing, which move would the reader want to use? Moreover, if they are all capable of the doing the same thing, then why is there an option? They accomplish the same thing different ways - Sleep Powder can render an opponent useless, which gives Jumpluff more opportunities to set up. Substitute allows Jumpluff to avoid status moves, and gives Jumpluff a safer way to set up. Encore forces switches, gaining your side momentum. While they all do the same, you need to specify what does what.

-I'd suggest listing Pokemon that Jumpluff can outspeed / beat, such as Scolipede and Sawk. You'd have a better idea of how the set works than I do, but you can use the damage calculator if you aren't sure.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

"Sunny Day support may benefit Jumpluff, being able to outspeed everything with a Chlorophyll boost;
Hazard support is vital for allowing Jumpluff to secure extra KOs, namely securely a OHKO with Spikes and Stealth Rock with Flying Gem Acrobatics on Tangela."

Make you are more specific. For example, maybe list some Sunny Day users, such as U-turn Volbeat, Liepard, or Exeggutor. For hazard support, list Pokemon such as Garbador and Scolipede, namely Scolipede, as it can quickly set up Spikes, and may even guarantee two layers with a Focus Sash.

-Although it's not needed, you may want to list spinners as partners, as Stealth Rock can be rather annoying at times. I'd suggest Torkoal; it gets a Fire-type move boost in the sun, and can handle Steel-types, something Jumpluff can't touch.

[Sunny Day SET COMMENTS]

"Heat Rock ensures sun stays up longer" Talking about the item should go in AC, not Set Comments.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-You have given no EV explanation for both the SubSeed and Sunny Day set, not even a mention. Make sure you add that in, and mention how Chlorophyll is essential for the set as well. I haven't used Jumpluff much, but you should expand on your partners for all of your sets.

This is a great analysis; hopefully I helped out! :]

hi, QC, Jumpluff is dandelion

[Overview]

• I'm inclined to agree with Governess that there should be at least something mentioning what holds Jumpluff back in NU. I don't know that a mention of Stealth Rock is really that necessary, since the SubSeed set can recover the damage, and the offensive set is already pretty frail as it is. The last set is a suicide set, so it REALLY doesn't care about SR. Instead, I would like to see something about how the offensive set is pretty weak before a boost, and that it's pretty easily revenge killed by scarfers.

[SET] (Swords Dance)

• Not really a big thing, but I would probably have Acrobatics and Seed Bomb's orders switched. Whenever I have played with Jumpluff, it's been "click acro, click acro, click acro, rock type? click seed bomb, etc." Acro is one of the main reasons why an SD set is viable to begin with.

[SET COMMENTS] (Swords Dance)

• Specifically mention how Sleep Powder/Substitute/Encore can help Jumpluff set up. Right now, it's super vague and sort of blase.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Swords Dance)

• Expand on your teammates here. Stuff that can beat Kangaskhan and Pilo would be nice since they can beat out Jumpluff with priority.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (SubSeed)

• Examples of the other support moves you mention would be splendid
  • I'd cut the mention of a spinner altogether. Like I mentioned in the overview, because you're running subseed+leftovers, Stealth Rock is practically a non-issue.
  • Mention of Giga Drain to keep Jumpluff from being Taunt bait would be splendid
  • Some more teammates would be nice here as well. Something that doesn't mind Pranskters would be cool, since Volbeat can Encore you into w/e and Liepard can Taunt you. A Taunt user of your own, like Taunt Samurott or Skuntank could work.

[SET COMMENTS] (Sunny Day)

• Move the mention of Heat Rock to ADDITIONAL COMMENTS, as that is where item description goes.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Sunny Day)

• Not much information here. Specific offensive partners would be nice. There are obviously a boatload you can choose from, though I would recommend making a note of Victreebel, if only because it can absorb TSpikes, which can be an issue for Sun teams if you have no other Poison-type.
  • You can also make a mention of things that being faster Taunt users; CB Sawk can do this to a decent extent, and it also wrecks walls and stuff, so that's cool. It is up to you what you want to put here though, but I would like it to be noted that Taunt users cause this set issues.

[Other Options]

• Everything looks pretty good here, but you can add a mention of a special chloro set and explain why it's generally inferior to the physical set, offensively. That's about it here though, because Jumpluff is a Grass-type which means subpar movepool.
  • I know you mentioned Giga Drain here, but I would still like to see it in SubSeed's AC as well.

Make these changes, and I'll come back and stamp. :jump:

Edit: also, I would like an explanation of why 252 Speed EVs for the latter two sets in the analysis, along with a mention that the subseed set can run a bulkier spread if it would like it. Go ahead and toss those into AC for those sets.

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
ok i stopped being lazy and made changes

Examples of the other support moves you mention would be splendid
about this, i already explained a couple support moves, are you expecting more or did you just skim past it?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well for the SubSeed set, at least make a mention of Aromatherapy and Stun Spore for possible support alternatives. Oh and Bounce might deserve a mention as a way to stall for Leech Seed recovery, hit Grass-types, and make use of STAB better than Giga Drain. Of course, since its not that much better than Giga Drain, it can be put in OO instead. I also feel like a bit of emphasis on the fact that the best teammates for the SubSeed set are Pokemon that can take advantage of the free turns and recovery to clean up (set up sweepers, Guts Pokemon, etc.), since Jumpluff likely won't be directly beating most opponents most of the time.

ok i stopped being lazy and made changes

about this, i already explained a couple support moves, are you expecting more or did you just skim past it?
Nah, neither. I thought Jumpluff's support movepool was more decorated than it is, and I didn't realize that the statement there was just kind of a preface for the following points. You're good.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

idk, personally I think the only move i'd want in the 4th slot of SD is sleep powder. Maybe Encore can be slashed, but i'd move Sub to AC. ALso dont mention Bounce at all. I would never ever ever want to use it over acrobatics. It just isnt worth it.

The taunt users handling taunt users bit in the SubSeed set is weird. As they won't stop taunt liepard from taunting at all. The Pokemon can stay because they're good partners, but that needs to be reworded

In checks and counters, add metang. Mention how most bulky Pokemon can fare pretty well against jumpluff. mention that electrics type resists the main STAB move and can hit pluff hard with tbolt / hp ice. Also mention that without sleep powder, or after sleep clause is active, checking jumpluiff isn't that hard, because even at +2 it is pretty weak.

Fix these and ill stamp this for sure :)

been over a month with no acknowledgment. You've been inactive with other analyses as well so I'm going to give this to someone else who can finish it faster, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)