1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Jumpluff

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Sprocket, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

[​IMG]
    Jumpluff

Abilities: Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Infiltrator (HA)
    Type: Grass/Flying

Base Stats:
    HP - 75
    Attack - 55
    Defense - 70
    Special Attack - 55
    Special Defense - 95
    Speed - 110

Jumpluff has become my absolute favorite VGC2014-legal Pokemon. The reason: It is so anti-metagame its not even funny. It has access to an obscene number of good support moves, including Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Rage Powder, Encore, Protect, Cotton Spore, Worry Seed, Memento, Toxic, Aromatherapy, and Helping Hand. It is obscenely fast, outspeeding most common sweepers. It has access to Chlorophyll (to make it even more obscenely fast when in the company of Charizard-Y), as well as Infiltrator to bypass the ever-common Substitute and Safeguard. It also had its special defense stat boosted ever so slightly from BW to XY.

Its only real weaknesses are an inability to stand up to Talonflame without a Coba Berry, it being taunt bait, and being 4x weak to Ice. Its physical defenses aren't anything special either.

This is the set I run the most, and it is just annoying for opponents to face.

Infiltrator Support
    Jumpluff @ Coba Berry
    Ability: Infiltrator
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Speed
    -Sleep Powder
    -Helping Hand
    -Encore
    -Protect

EVs + Coba Berry are designed to always survive a Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird, and to always outspeed an unboosted Garchomp. Put opponents to sleep with Sleep Powder (even Safeguard doesn't protect you thanks to Infiltrator), then use Helping Hand to help your opponent to sweep. If your opponent decides to Protect, go with the Encore if they are slower than Jumpluff. It is unfortunately bait for Fire and Ice attacks, and Sleep Powder does have an annoying habit of missing. Also opposing Grass types are immune to Sleep Powder. One very nice thing about Sleep Powder is that King's Shield doesn't block it, which means those pesky Dark Void Smeargles who open with King's Shield will likely be put to sleep.

Coba Berry can be swapped with any number of items, including Yache Berry, Occa Berry, Charti Berry, Focus Sash, or Mental Herb, to prevent specific attacks from becoming OHKOs.

Encore is really the only move that is flexible. It can be subbed with Giga Drain or Bounce to keep it from being complete Taunt bait, or it can be swapped with any desired support move of choice.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Moofork, Eeyore and Enygma like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore

I like this! I always use Sunflora and Jumpluff when referring to pokemon that will never make a comeback. I am proud to say I was wrong.
    Apparently Jumpluff is something I now need to watch out for. However, its terrible physical defenses leave much to be desired. Especially with the presence of ChompTar still around, what're some good teammates that could synch with it? It also doesn't seem to be able to handle much on its own. I also don't know if I can see it lasting past turn one without a Quick Guard supporter, to keep Priority Talonflame at bay for a moment. Maybe a Talonflame of your own could work? I dunno

I'd also have to question why I'd use this over Amoongus (because I want to) especially with Amoongus having 100% accuracy Spore, and working better with Rage Powder and its natural bulk? I'm genuinely curious!
  3. MooOnceMore

MooOnceMore

Safeguard seems really popular, I've been doing some testing with Jumpluff and his main niche is laughing in Klefkis face when he safeguards. It actually lasts pretty long in my testing, mainly due to people not seeing him as a threat.

If only sleep powder didn't miss.
    Sprocket likes this.
  4. Sprocket

As resident Jumpluff champion, you would be amazed how durable a Jolly/Timid 252 HP/60 Def/196 Speed Coba Berry Jumpluff is in practice. Sure, its easy to KO, but it requires a super effective hit to do so reliably, and its strong enough to take at least one Rock Slide to the face, and one Talonflame Brave Bird. Some calcs:

252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff: 132-156 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (no expert belt/life orb)
    252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff: 152-182 (83.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
    252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff in Sand: 138-164 (75.8 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Coba Berry Jumpluff: 151-178 (82.9 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even if Jumpluff is thunder waved, I always run Helping Hand.

Personally I find PluffChomp a very useful lead combination to run for a reason. Fire off a very fast Sleep Powder to neutralize opposing threats, and then go nuts with Helping Hand while Garchomp goes nuts with Rock Slide or Earthquake. And yeah, Infiltrator Jumpluff is completely anti-Klefki and anti-Meowstic because it bypasses Safeguard, it really throws the opponent for a loop when they fire off Safeguard and they are put to sleep anyway. Also it bypasses Substitute too, which is beyond helpful.
    Eeyore likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore

Sprocket Sounds really reliable with Coba Berry! I'm trying to think of other threats, Mega-Manectric, Mamoswine and Kangaskhan come to mind, so I did some quick calculations:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff: 330-388 (93.2 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
    (+2, one power-up punch) 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff: 658-775 (185.8 - 218.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 306-360 (86.4 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 284-336 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Jumpluff: 360-424 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Believe it or not, these are better than I expected. For one thing, it seems to take Mega-Manectric pretty well, with the exception that out of sun it is slower-- so it gets one chance to Sleep Powder, and that's with Overheat, it takes flamethrower even better.
    Ice Shard also has priority, so the only way to beat a Mamoswine is lucky prediction, or really good team prediction.
    I thought of some other team members that might work well-- Mega-Scizor

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Helping Hand Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 432-510 (101.8 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    However, it's speed is 10 points shy of Mamoswine's uninvested at level 100, so at least 40 has to be taken out of HP, and put into Speed to outdo Mamoswine.

252+ Atk Mega Scizor Helping Hand Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 478-564 (115.4 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I also found Chandelure works well.

252 SpA Chandelure Helping Hand Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 478-564 (112.7 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 SpA Flash Fire Chandelure Helping Hand Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 422-500 (99.5 - 117.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Chandelure Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 320-378 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Flash Fire Chandelure Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 284-336 (66.9 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The problem with both is the obvious Focus Sash Mamoswine, meaning that Mamoswine either needs to kill Jumpluff immediately, and risk death next turn, or go for the other pokemon (especially prevalent in the 252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 294-348 (112.6 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO counterattack, that Jumpluff is immune to, of which it can then status instead of helping hand.) the calculations for the same are done without helping hand above.

Garchomp works well, but I wouldn't necessarily use it as the lead. I would lead with Jumpluff and Chandelure or Jumpluff and Mega-Scizor, and have Garchomp as a secondary. Maybe that's just me
  6. Sprocket

The only problem with using Mega Kangaskhan against Jumpluff is that my Jumpluff outspeeds it, so it risks getting put to sleep before it can KO Jumpluff. My Jumpluff also outspeeds Garchomp by 1, so even opposing Garchomp are at risk.

Obviously you can move some EVs out of HP or Defense into Speed if you want. Jumpluff does have a high 110 base speed, which can allow it to speed tie with Gengar if you desired, or outspeed Manectric (before it mega evolves). I find my EVs are the best overall mix between bulk and speed, but its not the only viable spread.
    Enygma and Eeyore like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore

Wanted to talk about the viability of Worry Seed on Jumpluff. That right there would check a lot of scary things-- mainly Sand Veil/Sand Force, Gale Wings, Tough Claws, HUGE POWER/PURE POWER, Prankster, Thick Fat, Magic Guard, Sheer Force, Parental Bond, Shadow Tag, Chlorophyll. All of those really nasty abilities that make some pokemon really good. Insomnia is a terrible ability, and has the added effect of preventing a Rest/Talk set, which are uncommon, but deadly on tanks. The worst that it causes it a forced switch out, which would be predictable, and allows for a free hit on a new pokemon.

However, it does eliminate the need for Sleep Powder-- which is a big problem, as this set is based on it. I did try to replace Sleep Powder with Toxic and Stun Spore. Regardless, I think the set you put up is the best set.

Speaking of that, let's go back to your original set-- I use Yache Berry sometimes, what do you think of that?

I find that Jumpluff also works well with Rage Powder/Spore Amoongus, as it can make sure the enemies sleep, or Encore them, while attacking enemies forced to hit Amoongus. It also works well with Scrafty, as the Intimidate is much appreciated, and the Fake Out/Quick Guard support allows for a free turn to use Worry Seed/Sleep Powder
  8. Sprocket

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Yache Berry Jumpluff: 166-198 (91.2 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
    252+ Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Yache Berry Jumpluff: 198-234 (108.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The only issue with Yache Berry is that the Pokemon you'd need a Yache Berry for, Protean Greninja and Mamoswine, can still OHKO thru the Yache Berry even with investment. Abomasnow is pretty much a hard counter for Jumpluff anyway so it isn't considered in my calcs. However you'd stand a decent chance of surviving weaker ice attacks, especially non-STAB ones.

Just to show how bulky Jumpluff can be, with an Occa Berry it can survive Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower and Talonflame Flare Blitz IN THE SUN.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Occa Berry Jumpluff in Sun: 141-166 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Occa Berry Jumpluff in Sun: 153-180 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stun Spore is definitely an option over Sleep Powder, as speed control is always desired. It is one of the only ways to paralyze the ever-common Garchomp (since its immune to Thunder Wave). Worry Seed + Stun Spore can definitely be disruptive.
    Eeyore likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore

Yea Sprocket I found I was getting OHKOed anyways with the Yache. I didn't do those Sun Stats however. That's ridiculously impressive. Occa it is. I'm going to go for Worry Seed for a while-- see how that works. I found it was incredibly hilarious with Infiltrator-- notably against Rotom (Heat especially) and

I also like the pairing with Mr. Mime-- but I'm not too sure about that yet. Regardless, due to this post, Jumpluff has become a staple in the 5th slot of my team, the 4th to have a permanent spot. Thank you!
    Sprocket likes this.
  10. Baldafor

Baldafor

Is there a reason why Focus Sash wasn't mentioned much past the original post? It seems the majority of the thread is developing different item build and stat spreads to survive Fire, Flying and 4x Ice type attacks of varying powers. Why not survive both at the same time? It also allows for more speed investment if necessary to outspeed more stuff, or is simply a buffer against certain death scenarios, of which there are many that can't be EV'd to survive at the same time.
  11. Sprocket

Mainly because sandstorm/hail/Kangaskhan are common enough to ruin Focus Sash for Jumpluff, but its always an option. Personally I don't like leaning on Focus Sashes for surviving big hits, but thats just me. Jumpluff has decent enough bulk where it usually doesn't need Focus Sash except for the hardest hits.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore

The reason I don't run it is because at least one of my other pokemon
    the reason I don't run it is because at least one of my other pokemon is running it. I use SashMamoswine, or ChandelureSash, and they're better options than Jumpluff with a Sash. Jumpluff doesn't really inspire focus from the heavy hitters until a majority of its 'damage' has been done. You don't really think to kill the thing until half your team is asleep or (in my case) your Mega-Mawile/Rotom/Sableye/Talonflame/Scrappy-user/shadow-tag-abuser/mold breaker is now a paralyzed insomniac. Jumpluff isn't threatening offensively, paired with Garchomp or Scrafty, the latter is going to receive the attention. Why waste a focus sash when it can go to someone who will abuse it more?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)