June 2010 Status of Shoddy Battle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
After almost seven months of no development activity, we're more or less back in business with Shoddy Battle 2 development. If you recall from my last status thread, Shoddy Battle 2 has actually been mostly done for a long time. Unfortunately, in the period from that last thread until a week ago, absolutely no development happened at all.

However, now that development has resumed, bearzly will be handling finishing up the server. Super, new to the development team, will be handling implementing some aspects of the client. I am dispensing sage advice as needed and fixing some tricky bugs. We are also the only three people who have contributed any code to the repository in the history of the project. If all goes well, we will not be needing any more volunteers at this time. We also do not need any feature suggestions.

As before, you can monitor development activity at the mercurial repository (server and client). There will not be a release date.

Edit by bearzly:
Anyone proficient enough who is looking to build the server can find a very rudimentary overview here

Fantastic! I really hope you young fellows can allow more people on to the server. The server has been at max every time I try to log on for the past month or so. Great work guys and good luck!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
awesome. if you guys ever want someone to check large amounts of non-programming stuff (like learnset databases), i'm more than happy to help out.

I never got to ask (I don't think) but will previous modpatche files for Shoddy 1 be compatible with Shoddy 2? If not, will there be a quick and dirty converter for it? Thanks.

@The Duke - This project should have nothing to do with lag. It runs on your own machine, if it lags there it is your connection or your machine. The scripts should not make a difference. I do suppose if Smogon keep's its server up while running Shoddy 2, it will lag worse. Assuming that Shoddy 2 will be more efficient, it should have less lag.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sounds great. Double battles are more or less one of the roads less traveled in competitive Pokemon and I'd very much like to see what it's all about without having to endure the in-game nuances. It'd also be kind of funny to see Feint get some competitive use, as Protect and Detect will no doubt be on every team of every kind.

I'm not worried too much about the release date; there are still plenty of things I haven't tried with Shoddy Battle 1, so I can keep myself busy with that without the anticipation of 2 nagging at me. Hopefully, most or all of the issues from the first Shoddy Battle will be fixed this time around and we can all enjoy the game to its fullest.

i was almost losing my hopes on shoddy 2, but with this piece of news...well, it got my motivation back to 120%, good luck with that!

I wonder why only 3 people are involved in such a massive undertaking.
Surely more volunteers to help would accelerate the programming?

Is there like a list somewhere of all the features of Shoddy2? And what is going to happen as far as Gen. 5 and Shoddy are concerned?

But good job guys. Can't wait for the release

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wonder why only 3 people are involved in such a massive undertaking.
Surely more volunteers to help would accelerate the programming?
It's really "not that big" at this point. Remember, Shoddy 2 is almost done, and Shoddy 1 was coded by a similar number of people.

*insert pc++ praise for shoddy 2's active development here! :)*

sql tables

Hey guys, i was wondering if you could tell us what the mysql database looks like? I made the table from the sources before you started working on it again, and im missing at least one table (the bans table) Thanks

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ban table is:

Code:
+---------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field   | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| channel | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| id      | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| flags   | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| expiry  | datetime | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
Also a message field was added to the user table (varchar 150+)

Ban table is:

Code:
| Field   | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| channel | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| id      | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| flags   | int(11)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| expiry  | datetime | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
Also a message field was added to the user table (varchar 150+)

Thanks bearzly, Im having an issue though. Was there anything else that changed recently in the sql tables? I'm getting this exception "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'mysqlpp::BadQuery'
what(): Unknown column 'id' in 'where clause'"

I'm using the latest client which was updated since your last post, and I don't see anything server side matching that query. Is that the problem here?

Thanks again

There will not be a release date.
You have no idea of how thankfull I am from that, Im usually quite an impatient person, so if Im given a date I bit my nails(and fingers) for the day. Good luck and congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)