Jurassic Jams: An OU team

HEEEELLLOOO my people. Lately, I've been building a non legendary sand team revolving around mega aerodactyl. Finally I got one that works pretty well WHOOPTIE DOO (actually, I saw one and made some fixes).
It took tons of time to think of all the weaknesses to the team, writing down all the types and stuff, but this team seems to have good synergy. That's how you spell it, right? Synergy?
Please keep in mind when rating that this is a
non legendary OU team. Why I don't use legendaries? Why no not? dafuq

Without further ado, lets start! Sorry for my english btw, it's not my native language.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide
- Whirlwind/Ice Fang

The freaking bulky hippo leading is a classic. It is an amazing physical tank, with an amazing recovery move. I decided to go for the physically defensive set, but I can go for the specially defensive one if necessary depending on what you people suggest. STAB is the original earthquake, threatening venusaur, ferrothorn, azumarill and aerodactyl's counters. Rock slide is used for coverage against flying types such as talonflame. Slack off along with recover lets him be for a long time in the field. Whirlwind messes up baton passers such as scolipede and smeargle. Gotta be careful with the last one in case its carrying spore. Lum berry can replace leftovers any time.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 Def / 208 SDef / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

I like my ferrothorn as my coffee. Specially Defensive. The evs are spread so it can resist pretty well from both sides. That didn't sound good. It switches into hippowdon, aerodactyl, rotom h and azumarill counters pretty well. You already know what rocky helmet does, so Power whip is an awesome coverage move, but has to be careful with sap sipper switch ins. Same as leech seed, which is a reliable recovery move. Stealth rock is over spikes since the appearance of defog. Thunder wave slows down switches and setup sweepers.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Pretty Straightforward ultra violence. This thing is a f*cking juggernaut with choice band. The evs oustpeed blissey, and maximizes attack. Waterfall is the main stab and not aqua tail because of enraging misses. Aqua jet revenge kills and hit hard weakened (or not) pokemon. Play rough is the real killing stab. Unless you got some resist, you will hardly resist this one. Superpower buries chaney, blissey, tyranitar, bisharp and others. Azumarill comfortably switches into hippowdon, ferrothorn, venusaur, rotom h and some of aerodactyl's counters.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder/Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb/Earthquake

To be honest, I've never used venusaur before, but this guy synergyzes SOOO WELLLL with the rest of the team (In paper, in battle it's like so so). Black sludge recovers a bit of hp each turn. The evs and nature make him somewhat a bulky special attacker Chlorophyll is a surprise for those sun teams turing their weather against them. Giga drain lets him recover even more hp and it's a fantastic stab. Sleep powder sleeps switch ins, but it can be changed for earthquake to offer coverage. Hidden power ice lets him hit dragons and flying types hard. Sludge Bomb is another great stab and can also be changed with eq. Venusaur can switch into threats to Aerodactyl, hippowdon, rotom h and azumarill.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Another new addition in my team. Fast Specially Defensive Rotom H works great as a special wall and synergyzes with azumarill, ferrothorn and venusaur counters and checks. The evs and nature are well, specially defensive. Volt switch scouts stuff. Overheat burns the hell out of his opponents, but has to be used sparingly for the double drop in spatk. Will o Wisp cripples physical attackers switch ins or whatever is in front of it. Messing up special walls such as blissey and clefable is possible with Trick

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Taunt/Fire Fang/Roost/Ice Fang

The core and main badass of the team. Mega Aerodactyl. Evs and nature are optimal for attack and speed. Rock Slide is the main stab, nailing fire and flying types. Aerial Ace has proved to work extremely well as a bug, grass and fighting killer, powered by though claws. Earthquake ensures coverage. Now the dilemma is with the third move. Taunt shuts down pokemon trying to status him. Fire fang kills the likes of ferrothorn, scizor and other steel types. Roost is a good recovery move since the team lacks rapid spin support. Ice fang hurts badly dragon and ground types. So what you think should be the move? Or what should I replace?. Aerodactyl works well with venusaur and some of ferrothorn's checks.

There you go. Now, regarding venusaur, I thought about some replacements since he seems to not work good enough. Lend me your opinions about them too

Possible venusaur/other teammates replacements:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers / Assault Vest
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk / 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 SpAtk
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Relaxed

- Giga Drain/Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Rock Slide

Tangrowth could be a solid replacement for venusar. Along with regenerator it can turn into a switch core with azumarill. It can work with either assault vest or leftovers. The last one can be used to sleep foes. Knock off eliminates switch in items, giga drain and leaf storm are excellent stab, the latter working as almost a one use only. Earthquake hits fire types hard. The last slot has tons of options. HP fire for scizor and ferro. HP Ice for dragons and flying types. Rock slide hits fire and flying types.

Goodra @ Leftovers
ability: Sap Sipper
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

nature: Calm / Sassy
move 1: Dragon Pulse
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Toxic / Dragon Tail / Sludge Wave

Another good replacement for Venusaur. Goodra can tank attacks targeted to azumarill, hippowdon and ferrothorn. The evs are for a specially defensive build. Dragon Pulse is a good stab. Flamethrower kills steel types. Tbolt for water and flying types. The last slot can be used to status some foes, phaze them or deal with fairy and plant types.

That's it, guys. Remember, this is a non legendary team. Hope you can help me improve these guys!​

A sand team needs:

1 pokemon immune to sand damage
2 pokemon that abuse sand with sand rush / sand force

Your only abuser is aereodactyl for the SDef bonus, ferro is immune to sand.

Venusaur is useless for the team. Goodra and tangrowth didn't add nothing to the team. U already have 2 walls, U should use something of aggressive.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire / Ice or Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

This is what the team needs. Kill megasaur, dragons, keldeo, bulky water, more aggressivity to force opponent's switch.

Excadrill can be a good addition, but he add another fire and ground weakness. Rotom with so much moldbreaker eq spammer isn‘t so safe, aereodactyl can get a megagyarados eq, but not a waterfall.

A sand team needs:

1 pokemon immune to sand damage
2 pokemon that abuse sand with sand rush / sand force

Your only abuser is aereodactyl for the SDef bonus, ferro is immune to sand.

Venusaur is useless for the team. Goodra and tangrowth didn't add nothing to the team. U already have 2 walls, U should use something of aggressive.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire / Ice or Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

This is what the team needs. Kill megasaur, dragons, keldeo, bulky water, more aggressivity to force opponent's switch.

Excadrill can be a good addition, but he add another fire and ground weakness. Rotom with so much moldbreaker eq spammer isn‘t so safe, aereodactyl can get a megagyarados eq, but not a waterfall.
that's exactly what I thought this team needed. A bit more offense. Alakazam would be great. Thanks for the tip!

I have used aerodactyl before but I haven't gotten it to work real well in OU (its a shame because its one of my favorite pokes) but when I did I found its best set to be stone edge/aerial ace/aqua tail/hone claws. Hone claws increases attack and accuracy and makes Stone edge and aqua tail have perfect accuracy. Aqua tail is boosted by tough claws and has a ton of power and is pretty useful and can be a surprise to opponents because they don't expect it.

Hey there I got your request. The first thing I notice about this team is how poor some of the pokemon fit together. Venusaur, Mega Aerodactyl, and Hippowdon all don't seem to fit on the team. Hippowdon also is a very poor choice for a Sand Setter in the current metagame due to its severe 4mss. If it runs Whirlwind, it is forced to run EQ + Slack Off and either Ice Fang or Stealth Rocks, making it limited in its support. If it doesn't run whirlwind, it is unable to prevent setup, allowing oftentimes pokemon to get to +2 or even +3 in a flash. Mega-Aero honestly is a big let down in the current OU metagame, especially with your current set. Finally Venusaur without Mega Evolving is honestly extremely weak unless it is under the sun, and is just a bad pokemon atm without support. It seems that you also have a large weakness to Mega-Venusaur, who walls every member of your team hands down, and completely 6-0's you, as Aerial Ace doesn't even do much. Keldeo also has a field day with your, as specs variants pretty much make it so that you cannot safely switch in.

I would immediatly suggest changing Hippowdon to Mega Tyranitar. Unlike Hippowdon, it isn't complete setup fodder, and it gives your team the necessary power it desperately needs. It is far bulkier, but while it doesn't have Slack Off, it gains far more offensive presence, making it extremely hard for the opponent to setup on you, which is significant as Rotom-Heat isn't a particularily fast scarfer.

As I said, you are particularly weak to Mega Venusaur. Since your own venusaur is stacks weaknesses with the rest of your team and is rather useless, I reccomend utilizing Offensive Latias in its position. It not only can consistently switch in and out of Mega Venusaur and psyshock it to death, but Keldeo also, both of which are significant threats to the rest of your team. What makes it different also is its access to roost, allowing it to heal up again and again to check these threats.
By the way, I get you are trying to "not use legendaries", but at the end of the day, if you want a good team you should just give up that concept. Legendary doesn't determine whether a pokemon is good or bad, and it is expected that if you are posting a RMT, you seek help which benefits the viability of a team, not just for fun.

I am going to reccomend Offensive Excadrill over Mega-Aerodactyl. Not only is it one of the best sand abusers in the metagame, but it is a powerhouse inside and outside of sand. While it may seem to stack fighting weaknesses with the rest of your team, Excadrill is key in the sense that it will not have a fighting hit landed on it due to how strong and quick it is, OHKO'ing every relavant one at +2. Latias + Azumarill also best any relavant fighting type anyways, so no worries. What is also key about offensive excadrill, is that it acts as a proper fairy check which the rest of your team cannot handle, making it a valuable asset.

Minor Changes:
Rotom-Heat: Why the hell is it defensive with scarf. That is a pointless set, as your goal with ScarfTom isn't to spam trickscarf and become defensive, but to help your team revenge kill threats, and trickscarf to shut an opponent down. The EV spread should be 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef Timid, and Thunderbolt > Will-O-Wisp as it gives you a far more reliable move to spam and revenge kill with.

Fun one.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit / Dragon Dance

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Hey there I got your request. The first thing I notice about this team is how poor some of the pokemon fit together. Venusaur, Mega Aerodactyl, and Hippowdon all don't seem to fit on the team. Hippowdon also is a very poor choice for a Sand Setter in the current metagame due to its severe 4mss. If it runs Whirlwind, it is forced to run EQ + Slack Off and either Ice Fang or Stealth Rocks, making it limited in its support. If it doesn't run whirlwind, it is unable to prevent setup, allowing oftentimes pokemon to get to +2 or even +3 in a flash. Mega-Aero honestly is a big let down in the current OU metagame, especially with your current set. Finally Venusaur without Mega Evolving is honestly extremely weak unless it is under the sun, and is just a bad pokemon atm without support. It seems that you also have a large weakness to Mega-Venusaur, who walls every member of your team hands down, and completely 6-0's you, as Aerial Ace doesn't even do much. Keldeo also has a field day with your, as specs variants pretty much make it so that you cannot safely switch in.

I would immediatly suggest changing Hippowdon to Mega Tyranitar. Unlike Hippowdon, it isn't complete setup fodder, and it gives your team the necessary power it desperately needs. It is far bulkier, but while it doesn't have Slack Off, it gains far more offensive presence, making it extremely hard for the opponent to setup on you, which is significant as Rotom-Heat isn't a particularily fast scarfer.

As I said, you are particularly weak to Mega Venusaur. Since your own venusaur is stacks weaknesses with the rest of your team and is rather useless, I reccomend utilizing Offensive Latias in its position. It not only can consistently switch in and out of Mega Venusaur and psyshock it to death, but Keldeo also, both of which are significant threats to the rest of your team. What makes it different also is its access to roost, allowing it to heal up again and again to check these threats.
By the way, I get you are trying to "not use legendaries", but at the end of the day, if you want a good team you should just give up that concept. Legendary doesn't determine whether a pokemon is good or bad, and it is expected that if you are posting a RMT, you seek help which benefits the viability of a team, not just for fun.

I am going to reccomend Offensive Excadrill over Mega-Aerodactyl. Not only is it one of the best sand abusers in the metagame, but it is a powerhouse inside and outside of sand. While it may seem to stack fighting weaknesses with the rest of your team, Excadrill is key in the sense that it will not have a fighting hit landed on it due to how strong and quick it is, OHKO'ing every relavant one at +2. Latias + Azumarill also best any relavant fighting type anyways, so no worries. What is also key about offensive excadrill, is that it acts as a proper fairy check which the rest of your team cannot handle, making it a valuable asset.

Minor Changes:
Rotom-Heat: Why the hell is it defensive with scarf. That is a pointless set, as your goal with ScarfTom isn't to spam trickscarf and become defensive, but to help your team revenge kill threats, and trickscarf to shut an opponent down. The EV spread should be 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef Timid, and Thunderbolt > Will-O-Wisp as it gives you a far more reliable move to spam and revenge kill with.

Fun one.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit / Dragon Dance

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Alrighty thanks!

Hey! I came by your request, but I would ask you to update your opening post if you have made any changes to the team. That way new team raters know how the team has evolved, and can suggest changes accordingly. There's no point suggesting the same changes over and over again. If you have made changes to your original team, make sure to also include what was the original Pokemon, or moves or EVs. For example, if you decide to switch EVs and WoW to Thunderbolt on Rotom-H:

EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
Timid nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp Thunderbolt
- Trick

Hey! I came by your request, but I would ask you to update your opening post if you have made any changes to the team. That way new team raters know how the team has evolved, and can suggest changes accordingly. There's no point suggesting the same changes over and over again. If you have made changes to your original team, make sure to also include what was the original Pokemon, or moves or EVs. For example, if you decide to switch EVs and WoW to Thunderbolt on Rotom-H:

EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Calm Nature Timid nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp Thunderbolt
- Trick
oops sry, thank you for the tip!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)