Just a Baton Pass team to toy with

Hi folks, I've just grasped the concept of Baton Pass since a few days ago, and so I decided to make a team for strategic playing. I'm currently playing Gen 3 so please take this into consideration before rating if you could. Without further ado, here it is:

Umbreon @Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/118 Def/140 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Taunt
- Mean Look
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
I choose Umbreon to be the lead to make sure I can handle some other anti-BP leads. If the opponent's lead has Roar, then Taunt. If it doesn't, Mean Look. Then Baton Pass.

Gorebyss @Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/218 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Baton Pass
This fish has a weakness against Special sweepers, so I'll take it out only if the trapped opponent is physical. I'll use it to fully boost Def/SpD for the team.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 255 HP/255 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Substitute
- Roar
- Wish
- Baton Pass
The team's Wisher and Roarer. If the opponent's lead has Roar, I immediately switch to this mermaid to Roar it out. If not, she provides bulky Substitutes and Wishes for other members.

Ninjask @Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 255 HP/255 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Protect
- Substitute
- Silver Wind
- Baton Pass
Self-explanatory. Classic Speed passer. I'll make sure everything's safe before he's in.

Smeargle @Lum Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/218 Def/40 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass
He can not only put the opponent to sleep, but also provide an anchor for the chain and obtain +6 Atk in only one move. He's essential.

Breloom @King's Rock
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 255 Atk/255 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power (Steel)
(Changeable recipient - I choose Breloom just because his shiny form is appealing :P)
Spore - Sub - Punch takes out almost everything. If a ghost suddenly appears, there's the HP Steel to take care of it. Still, he can be replaced.
(Medicham is really fine, she can even Baton Pass o.O but I simply dislike her appearance... Metagross is just one of those broken monsters I may eventually choose.)

* Threat List:
- Faster Taunters
- Powerful sweeper leads (eg: Explosion Metagross puts a stop to every effort.)
- Haze? I haven't seen anything with this move, but I'm not sure how to get rid of one...

All comments are appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Yah, thank you for your suggestion. It's just that Seed Bomb is only available from Gen 4, and I'm playing Gen 3 (Emerald). And I can always get a new recipient, when everything is in place. I just fill in a physical sweeper so my team could be complete for reviews.
Um, any more suggestions on the Baton Pass chain, i.e. the first 5 pokemon?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh.. Missed that.. x_x

In gen 3 there was no physical/special split so I think HP Steel is considered physical, yes ?

If that's the case then disregard my previous comment, I know nothing about 3rd gen..

Yes, Steel is physical, so Breloom can use it effectively, to a certain extent.

Well, in case you know something about Baton Pass teams, your comments are always invited.

I don't claim to know much about ADV....or know anything for that matter.

Seems like anything with Perish Song will smash this team. Perish Song Celebi is still fairly popular. It's the very reason some Baton Pass teams run Mr. Mime, which I'd prolly run over Gorebyss and fit Acid Armor on Vaporeon somewhere. Mr. Mime can run Substitute if it has to. Also, I'd run Hidden Power Ghost > Hidden Power Steel just to get perfect neutral coverage. I don't think you hit anything important with Steel.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)