ORAS OU Just a guy who wants to become a better battler

Disclaimer: This is for battle spot not smogon OU battles!!!
Hello to the people who were kind enough to click on this thread

As the title implies are am VERY new to competitive battling. By this I don't mean I am total noob, I've been playing for what I think is a decent amount of time, but in my eyes my problem is that I don't have enough experience in battling, team building, etc, so I thought I would get help from a place what eat, sleeps, and breaths competitive.

================================================================================================================================
Now time to the true reason I am here. To ask advice on my team, how to make it better, replacements for certain mons, etc. (Also btw I have no mega so :p)

Pokemon #1:

Garchomp

images.jpg

Nickname: Sharkeisha

IV Spread: 31/31/31/0/31/31

EV Spread: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP (When I do ev spreads like these I always put the extra 4 in HP for banter lol)

Nature: Jolly

Moveset: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Swords Dance

Item: Rocky Helmet

Ability: Rough Skin

Garchomp is honestly one of my favourite mons. I know many people complain about it being overused but honestly I just love using it. It was my first 5 IV pokemon and it is also the pokemon that has won me many battles (and got me many rage quits). Now nostalgia aside Garchomp is an extremely versatile pokemon. On my team he is my main sweeper and also my late/midgame trump card. I also know that the moveset for it is pretty basic but it really does well for my play style. The iv's and ev's are also pretty standard but once again it just really fits my playstyle.

================================================================================================================================
Pokemon #2:

Talonflame

download.jpg

Nickname: Fuego (Munching Orange anyone no ok ;-;)

IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/31/31

EV Spread: 252 Attack, 172 Speed, 84 HP

Nature: Adamant

Moveset: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Taunt, Tailwind

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Gale Wings

As you see and will see my team is made out of pretty overused pokemon but I just love this pokemon and just like garchomp it just fits my playstyle (Hyper Offense). Now let's begin.

Talonflame (the smogon bird in the flesh) does a lot of things for team. It provides speed control, it came be a early/late game sweeper, and also helps me deal with status users.

I took a lot of inspiration from the 2014 offensive support set. The only real difference is taunt instead of quick guard or protect (I tried these but found that taunt just does better for me). There isn't really anything else to say about Talonflame. It is great poke and it really fits my playstyle. Also my first 6 IV pokemon.

Pokemon #3:

Aegislash

download (1).jpg

Nickname: None (got from gts for tornadus, was worth it)

IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/31/0

EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Defense

Nature: Quiet

Moveset: King's Shield, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, Wide Guard

Ability: Stance Change

Item: Weakness Policy

(Remember what I said about my team being made of overused pokemon
) When I began first building my team I realized that I need a tank on my team. I was originally going to put tyranitar (sand for garchomp, originally was mega :p) but then I found out about aegislash and honestly just fell in love with it. It can protect my team from physical hits with king's shield, take super effective hits and retaliate with the weakness policy, and I just love using it. Just like talonflame, garchomp, and every other pokemon on my team (;-;) its moveset is pretty basic. Take inspiration from the standard vgc set. (Side note, I know Aegislash is Ubers but this is for in game battle spot/non legendary competitive)

Pokemon #4:

Ambipom

1204450-ambipom.jpg

Nickname: Hug Me Daddy (ik very weird lol)

IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/0/31

EV Spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP (more banter)

Nature: Adamant

Moveset: Fake Out, Last Resort (PP Maxed), Protect

Ability: Technician

Item: Silk Scarf

Ambipom is the odd ball on my team. I just really liked Ambipom so I just decided I wanted it on my team (was originally spore swords dance breloom), and boy do I not regret my decision. Like everything else on my team Ambipom's moveset, IV spread, and EV spread, are pretty standard so they are not worth talking about, but two things stand out here, the fact that is adamant nature over jolly and that it has a silk scarf instead of a life orb. Now onto the first odd ball the nature, I did originally ran it with jolly but I just found that it did not have enough damage output so I decided that I would run adamant instead, I speed tie with max speed jolly mega kanga which is really one of the major threats for my team and Ambipom is already in a pretty great speed tier so I just decided to run adamant over jolly. Now onto the second thing, why silk scarf over life orb, 1). because when I first started I found that the recoil from the life orb really didn't allow to shine as much and only allowed it to get 1 or two OHKO or just regular KO's and 2). I originally had a sharp beak on my talonflame and to me it just didn't put out enough damage and I just decided that life orb was just better on talonflame instead of on ambipom in the long run.

Pokemon #5:

Nickname: Waifu (sorry Gardevoir ;-;)

download (2).jpg

IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/31/31

EV Spread: 252 Special Attack, 188 HP, 68 Special Defense

Nature: Calm

Moveset: Hyper Voice, Psyshock, Protect, Calm Mind

Ability: Pixilate

Item: Pixie Plate

Sylveon is just a pokemon that really fits well on my team. I decided to go with the standard special attacking set with a few tweaks of my own, the 68 ev's are in special defense instead of defense because I just found that sylveon wasn't going to be on the field against physical attackers either way so I just decided it was better to put in special defense, another one is that the nature is calm, I did this because sylveon is one of my special tanks so I just decided that a calm nature would fit best on it. I also mixed up the moveset a bit, I originally had helping hand instead of protect but found that I rarely used helping hand so it was just a wast of a moveslot imo.

Pokemon #6:

Ludicolo

download (3).jpg

Nickname: Fiesta

Gender: Male (As you can see 2/3 thirds of my team are female)

IV Spread: 31/20/31/31/31/31

EV Spread: 164 HP/ 140 Def/72 SpA/132 Spe

Naute: Bold

Moveset: Scald, Giga Drain, Fake Out, Ice Beam

Ability: Rain Dish

Item: Assault Vest

Wrapping up my team is the dancing mexican pineapple duck. Ludicolo similar to ambipom and aegislash is pokemon that I liked and found that it fit really well on my team, especially at its role as a special/physical wall. The set is pretty standard also. Took inspiration from the vgc 14 set. The only thing I did different was not put 4 in SpD and just increased SpA to 72. Also

Ludicolo replaced Ferrothorn on my team because 1). I didn't want two steel types on my team because then fire types would be a problem and 2). Because I didn't feel that I really need a staller/stealth rocks or spikes setter on my team.

=====================================================================================================================

Well that is my team ladies, gentlemen, and everything in between. I just ask that you provide your feedback because all replies are welcome and I know every reply is just going to help me make improvements to my team and my battling. Thanks in advance,

-Lucas

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)