1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Just Chilling (Peaked #13)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by IceSpade, Nov 14, 2012.

1. IceSpade

IceSpade

Hi I’m IceSpade and I play NU. Sometimes I play OU with my Hail team, sometimes RU, but mostly NU. This was my most successful teams, most of the others barely go past the 40 mark, but this team went up to the 13 mark under the alt Interestings, and then got swept by a freaking Liepard. This is somewhat a balanced or bulky offence team, I think. Not too offense minded, but not close to stall either. So here is the team:

Teambuilding (open)

[​IMG]
    I started with Regice, I used it in one of my previous teams and it became the star. Boltbeam coverage and high special bulk is nice.

[​IMG]
    Regice had a lot of weaknesses, being an Ice type. I chose Shelgon, he can take physical or super effective attacks that Regice can't take, while Regice takes special attacks for Shelgon.

[​IMG]
    I needed a SR setter (every team needs one in my opinion). Golurk came to mind, it has decent bulk and attack and good typing. He also resists Rock and Fighting attacks both of which Regice dislikes, while Regice can take Grass, Water, and Ice types for Golurk. He also removes Steel and Rock types for Shelgon so that he can sweep easier.

[​IMG]
    CM Musharna is a threat to every team, so a Dark type is mandatory. Skuntank was used as he is bulkier than Absol, and has Taunt to screw some teams.

[​IMG]
    I needed something to deal with Fighting types, so I needed a Psychic type. I chose Gardevoir because he is faster and can threaten Garbodor who can set up Spikes on my slower Pokemon. It can also help with dealing with weather teams.

[​IMG]
    Lastly I wanted something that can take advantage of Regice and Gardevoir's ability to destroy stall teams. Originally CS Sawk was used as it can outspeed almost everything, but I decided to switch to CS Emboar, having better bulk and the ability to threaten Metang.

Most of the EVs are taken from the site as I'm not really good at calculations, but suggestions to change them is welcome!

Team

[​IMG]
    North Pole (Regice) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

Regice is a boss. The vulnerability to SR and Spikes hurts, but the ability to beat Alomomoonguss and to give common special attackers hell is awesome. STAB Ice Beam is really good, as few teams actually carry an Ice-type resist, and most of these are weak to Thunderbolt. RestTalk as recovery sucks, but this means that unlike other walls, he doesn’t care about any status.

[​IMG]
    Wrecking Ball (Shelgon) (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 Def
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage

This thing is so underrated. Its few counters include strong special attackers and Steel types, but after they are gone then Shelgon can sweep the team. Aside that, he also has bulk similar to Tangela, but Shelgon has less weaknesses and has the ability to sweep. Again RestTalk sucks, and again it also means that he has to worry less against status.

[​IMG]
    Soundwave (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hydro Pump
    - Earth Power
    - Knock Off

Originally Golurk, Seismitoad was included for the ability to hit opposing Golurk and other things. He also has less weaknesses with a single weakness to Grass which can give my other Pokemon opportunities to switch in. This set is designed to outrun standard Garbodor, while having max power and some bulk.

[​IMG]
    Sweet Scent (Skuntank) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Taunt
    - Sucker Punch
    - Poison Jab
    - Pursuit

Everybody’s favourite skunk is also on my team. Every team I made always has a Dark type because CM Musharna is a really big threat, having used it before and destroying everything without a phazer, Taunter, or Encorer. Other than that, his typing is also great for absorbing different attacks such as Giga Drain or Toxic. Poison Jab > Crunch in my opinion, as I think three Dark attacks are redundant.

[​IMG]
    The Bad Boy (Gardevoir) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast

I always thought of Gardevoir as lackluster, that he deserves to be lower in the usage stats. Her bulk as opposed to other Psychic types such as Musharna is pretty bad, but I still decided to use her because she is faster than many walls. Because Dark types always like to switch in on her, I decided to use the SubWisp set, having the ability to dismantle walls while having the ability to stand up to Dark types. Focus Blast is used to hit special walls such as Regice and Lickilicky harder.

[​IMG]
    Spicy Hot Beef (Emboar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Head Smash

All of Emboar’s sets are awesome, the Choice Band sets just destroys almost everything, mixed sets destroys everything that the Choice Band sets have trouble with, and Choice Scarf sets destroys everything that think they are faster than Emboar. As I have Pokemon that can beat walls such as Alomomola I opted for Scarf Emboar. Earthquake over Wild Charge because I am more worried than Ampharos and Garbodor, than little things such as Mantine and Frillish.

Note: I am still deciding whether Sawk Emboar in this spot, but Emboar has bulk and hits more things harder. (And hits Metang super effectively) Comment on this please. :>

Threats:

Threatlist (open)
    Metang: I recently lost some matches because of Metang, only Golurk and Emboar threaten it; but Toxic wears both of them down. It is hard to take down, especially with Wish and Heal bell support.
    Braviary: I surprisingly have seen few of these actually. Choiced ones can be taken by Shelgon, but SubBU can be a threat, Regice can threaten it but is slower, Gardevoir can destroy its Sub but is frail, Skuntank can Taunt but is also frail.
    LIEPARD: Well just look at the replay below and see how Liepard destroys my team.
    Strong Normal types: Zangoose and Ursaring are troublesome, Shelgon is 2HKOed, Emboar can revenge kill but has to watch out for Quick Attack. Weaker ones such as Cinccino and Swellow can still take them on.
    Hazards: I have no spinners so I just need to kill off Garbodor or Cacturne as fast as possible, as all of my Pokemon are affected by Spikes. Regice also hates SR but he can often manage with his bulk and RestTalk.

There might still be threats to my team so I appreciate if someone could find them and help me deal with them.

Previous team members (open)

[​IMG]
    Game Over (Golurk) @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - DynamicPunch
    - Stone Edge

Golurk is a really reliable lead, even when almost everything is prepared for him. Their preparedness are wasted though when confusion hax rolls against their favour. Golurk is also a reliable tank and attacker, as he has immunities and resistances to a lot of attacks, while also having humongous attack stat and strong moves.

Importable (open)

Emboar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Head Smash

Regice @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

Shelgon (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage

Golurk @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - DynamicPunch
    - Stone Edge

Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Taunt
    - Sucker Punch
    - Poison Jab
    - Pursuit

Gardevoir (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 0 Atk
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast

Thanks for reading and possibly rating my team I appreciate it! Any suggestions will be tested if they look like they have credibilty.

WATCH THIS:
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu4337966

No, this is not the team in action, I actually stomped the guy, and then his Liepard stomped me and removed me from my peak. :( Also I was still testing Sawk and Specs Gardevoir in this team so don’t ask why I used Focus Blast on his Garbodor and didn’t kill it. This is also the reason of this weird 0 IVs in my team, I became paranoid just because of this Liepard. LIEPARD IS PURE EVIL!!!

Credits to http://sprites.pokecheck.org/ for the pictures.
  2. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a Past SPL Winner

Gardevoir needs to be running max Speed with a Timid nature since it's speed tier is simply too important to forgo. That spread will allow you to outpace max Speed Jolly Emboar, Adamant Braviary, Samurott, Ludicolo, Adamant Sawk, and Adamant Zangoose. The extra 40 HP EVs won't do very much since Gardevoir is already rather frail and the loss in power is nothing compared to the benefits of the added speed.

I'm not sure what your Golurk spread accomplishes. I suggest you change it to 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe to outrun standard Garbodor and hit as hard as possible with your attacks.

Choice Scarf Emboar can hit rather lightly sometimes and needs Head Smash over Stone Edge in order to do enough damage to bulkier targets such as Armaldo and Braviary. The recoil may turn you off but Emboar is going to be spamming its STAB attacks most of the time. Head Smash is only needed in specific situations, and when that time comes, you'll need the extra power.

Summary of changes:

Max Speed Timid on Gardevoir
    76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe spread on Golurk
    Stone Edge —> Head Smash on Emboar
  3. IceSpade

IceSpade

Thanks for the rate FLCL! I'll implement your changes right away. :)
  4. IceSpade

IceSpade

Okay, I've been trying out Seismitoad over Golurk. One weakness that I noticed while playing is that I don't have the ability to hit opposing Golurk hard. Regice can Ice Beam but is slower and hit super effectively by Fighting type attacks, Skuntank can Sucker Punch but doens't KO all variants while Earthquake is a OHKO, Gardevoir can WoW but Shadow Punch still 2HKOes him. No more confusion hax fun, but at least I can threaten opposing Golurk and Probopass etc.

Also I would appreciate more rates please! :) Thanks!

EDIT: Seismitoad worked well, I'm replacing Golurk for him.
  5. IceSpade

IceSpade

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)