XY RU Justified RUse (Rank #12)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Introduction

Hey guys, with Stage 3 Suspect Testing coming to a close for RU, I wanted to share the team I used to make reqs with. This team went entirely unchanged throughout the entire run and went 38-8 (one loss being due to my internet being crap) I started with one of the suspects, Zoroark, because I largely had a neutral stance on it heading into the Suspect Test and wanted to grasp a better understanding of how it played. The MVP of the team in most matches ended up being a Pokemon I decided to add near the very end of teambuilding, but I'll save that for you guys to find out as you read this. As the team remained unchanged throughout the entire run, I will detail my teambuilding process. So, have fun reading!

This is where the team started. I wanted to use Zoroark for this Suspect Round as I wasn't sure if it deserved to be banned or not. I figured that by using it, I would get a definitive answer one way or the other!

I decided to look for an offensive partner, something that could easily benefit from Zoroark's Illusion. Virizion fit the bill really well since Zoroark can easily handle its best counters, Doublade and Cresselia. Plus, with both running Swords Dance, just using the move isn't enough for opponents to identify it as Zoroark or Virizion.

I decided to take the defensive pivot route with the next choice. Slowking fit the bill pretty well considering I was uber-weak to Fire-types at this point and Slowking can, at worst, soft check about every special attacker in the tier and stay healthy with Regenerator. This also gave me a secondary option to disguise Zoroark as late-game since it's much easier to keep Slowking healthy than it is most other Pokemon.

With a Water-type and a Grass-type, I decided to go ahead and complete a FWG core to support Zoroark. Moltres fills the wallbreaker role quite nicely for this team and considering Zoroark is around, Moltres is often times free of Slowking switching into it early on, usually giving Moltres the turn it needs to impact the battle.

With the addition of Moltres, I knew I needed hazard control. This would also help me to pull off a RUse with Zoroark more reliably, so it works in more ways than one. I had seen a few people talking about Sandslash, so I decided to throw it on this team and give it a try. Besides, an Electric immunity and sturdier Rock resistance never hurt anybody, right?

I decided to save Stealth Rock for last as I really didn't know what I was going to need out of my Rocks user throughout most of this process. By the end of it all, I noticed I needed some extra Speed considering I lacked a Scarf user and really didn't want to turn Moltres Scarf. After thinking on it a bit, I decided to try out a support set on Cobalion, and my god was that an amazing decision. This thing has probably been the MVP of the team just due to how well it stops Defoggers, sets Rocks, and gives the team switch-in opportunities. It's such a beast, it can survive LO Dugtrio's EQ and KO back!

Team Preview

In-Depth Look

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

This Pokemon. This Pokemon right here was the bane of so many of my opponents. When people think Cobalion, the first thing that comes to mind is probably "SD Sweeper" or "Offensive Stealth Rock user". However, for this team, I needed Stealth Rock and some physical bulk to check most physical attackers. While Rhyperior seemed to make perfect sense at first, my lack of a Choice Scarf user on this team meant I couldn't really afford that. But then, I found that Cobalion had access to Taunt + Volt Switch. That's what ended up selling me. Stealth Rock is obvious. Get the hazard up, gtfo. Reset it if need be. Close Combat provides a decently powerful STAB move that keeps Cobalion from hitting like a weak pansy. Volt Switch is AMAZING. Being able to set Rocks and then switch out of whatever your opponent just brought in to stop what they think is an offensive Cobalion is super cool. Taunt is the real kicker. With Taunt, Cobalion stops Defoggers from ridding Stealth Rock, and it also cold stops Omastar leads (eat your heart out New Breed :P) While Accelgor can get a layer up, Taunt will force it into Bug Buzz (a dumb move vs. Cobalion) or Final Gambit, which Slowking can live and Regenerate some of the damage. The EVs allow Cobalilon to 2HKO Virizion with Close Combat while maximizing Speed for a really fast Taunt. The rest is put into HP to augment Cobalion's nice physical bulk.

Zoroark @ Black Glasses
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Zoroark is an absolute beast. Anyone who went up against or used it knows how amazing Zoroark can be. This team utilizes Zoroark's Swords Dance set to sweep late-game or to wallbreak early-game, depending on the opposing team. Pulling off the RUse is tricky to some, but not for this team. As it uses both Virizion and Slowking, I can utilize Zoroark in more ways than one. If I'm wanting to use it as a wallbreaker, I'll simply put Virizion out back in Team Preview and try to get Zoroark in early to weaken the opponent's best answers to Virizion. However, if there aren't many Zoroark counters on the opposing team, I'll throw Slowking out back due to Regenerator and bring Zoroark out late when the chance arises. The set is pretty simple. Swords Dance gives Zoroark major sweeping potential. Between Sucker Punch and Knock Off, very few Pokemon are stopping Zoroark once it has set up. Low Kick deals with Registeel and Rhyperior nicely while also taking a large chunk out of incoming Abomasnow. EVs simply maximize damage output and Speed. Adamant is used to give Zoroark more power behind its attacks, in case a chance to Swords Dance isn't there late-game. Black Glasses is used as the hold item so if I have to bring Zoroark in for a revenge kill early-game, I can still utilize the RUse effectively later on when I decide to try and sweep / wallbreak with Zoroark.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The team's last resort sweeper and primary wallbreaker is none other than the red-hot legendary bird of flames, Moltres. Moltres is a fantastic wallbreaker for this team, and the threat of Zoroark is often times enough to keep opposing Slowking from switching in right away in fear of eating a Knock Off. And usually, one turn is all Moltres needs to have an impact on the battle. Fire Blast and Hurricane provide powerful STAB options, but their tendency to miss can be rather annoying at times. That said, their power is second-to-none and tends to outweigh the times they miss. Roost gives Moltres reliable recovery, thus allowing it to dish out more damage and take more resisted hits as needed. HP Grass finishes the set by trashing Rhyperior, Gastrodon, and Omastar (if its Sash is gone) The EVs simply maximize damage output and Speed with the IVs being for HP Grass.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge

Sandslash really found its way onto the team after I saw people talking about it in the NP and Underrated Pokemon threads. After seeing a set for it, I decided to mold it a bit and use it on this team. For this team, Sandslash serves as the Rapid Spin user and secondary switch-in for many physical attackers in the tier. Earthquake is decently powerful thanks to STAB and base 100 Attack, thus allowing Sandslash to hit what it needs to pretty hard. Knock Off is an amazing move for a spinner, especially one with the physical bulk of Sandslash. Thanks to this move, Sandslash is able to beat Doubalde 1v1 100% of the time, something no other spinner in the tier can claim to do. It's also really nice for catching most switch-ins for decent damage. Rapid Spin obviously clears the field of entry hazards. Not only does this help Zoroark pull off a RUse late-game, but it also keeps Moltres's wings from getting clipped for 50% HP every time it comes in. As I already had a Swords Dance sweeper and felt really weak to Flying-types, I decided to go with Stone Edge in the last slot. Thanks to it, Sandslash is able to catch unsuspecting Moltres, Yanmega, and Golbat on the switch-in for solid damage, OHKOing the former two and pressuring the latter to Roost if it comes into Stealth Rock. The EVs maximize overall bulk while avoiding the OHKO from LO Reckless Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick. 8 Speed EVs lets Sandslash outspeed Alomomola in dire situations (such as when a Spin is absolutely needed) with the rest in Attack and an Adamant nature to let Sandslash hit decently hard.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

I feel like Virizion is the one constant for me. Every good team I have seems to have Virizion in it for some reason. It's probably because Virizion is such a great Pokemon right now thanks to ita ability to check so many Pokemon. With the ability to beat the likes of Rhyperior, Sharpedo, and Alomomola with relative ease, Virizion makes its mark as the primary sweeper for this team. Swords Dance is obvious to give Virizion the power it needs to sweep. Close Combat and Leaf Blade smash so many defensive cores in the tier. What's really cool is that even after a Close Combat SpDef drop, Virizion still survives an Aromatisse Moonblast and 2HKOes with Leaf Blade! Stone Edge finishes the set by giving Virizion a way to take out Delphox, Moltres, and Choice Specs Yanmega. EVs are simple and Lum Berry gives Virizion more flexibility when it comes to setting up.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Assault Vest Slowking is really nice for this team. Being able to cold stop Moltres and Delphox is absolutely amazing and it has great defensive synergy with Cobalion. Slowking can also emergency check Speed Boost Yanmega so long as it had at least 72% HP remaining to keep it from finishing off my team late-game. Scald is arguably the most spammable move in the game thanks to its decent BP and 30% burn chance. Psyshock screws with Fighting-types and special walls in general while also pressuring Golbat after Cobalion Taunts and Volt Switches out of it. Fire Blast deals with Tangrowth and Escavalier quite nicely. Although Ice Beam seems like a weird move, this team is ass weak to LO Druddigon and desperately needs something to chip it down quickly as Cobalion lacks SD to try and setup on it (and nothing else it taking a hit from it) It also works well vs. Yanmega since a Fire Blast miss would be absolutely devastating since the only reason I'd be keeping Slowking in is as a last resort to tank Bug Buzz and KO back. EVs maximize damage output and overall bulk so Slowking can pivot into and out of attacks as necessary.

Final Thoughts

So it's probably not the flashiest team out there, but it is effective nontheless. I am very proud of myself for not stooping to stealing New Breed's team to make reqs this round and this was a really fun team to use to make reqs. I'll still probably use it in the future, especially if Zoroark somehow survives the Suspect Test, but feel free to have some fun with it if you want!

Not anything like my last RMT, but some cool people that made RU reqs this time around that I helped a bit along the way:
The Bravest Bird
Xylen
Goddess Briyella
x MAD AXES x

Slowking (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sandslash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge

Zoroark (F) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

SD Drapion to replace Zoroark - suggested by Soulgazer
Defog Gligar over Sandslash - suggested by New Breed

Last edited:
Hey Eon solid team you have here. Just like your last team it's hard to give you any real meaningful changes that wouldn't open up more holes. This time however I might be able to help you out. Your team lacks a solid switch-in into Hitmonlee as although it does have a hard time coming in, once it does you basically have to sack something everytime it comes in, with only Moltres being able to easily take a HJK before SR. An easy fix to this would to just simply replace Sandslash for Defog Gligar who could fulfil the same hazard removing role a little better than Sandslash while also giving the team a solid Hitmonlee switch in but at the cost of some offensive presence. It's a trade off and I'm not sure if you have given it a test already but I definitely think it's worth a test.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Once again solid team, hope I was able to help dude.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey EonX :toast:

I like the squad and the double goat (or musketeer Oo). Since Zoroark is most likely going to leave RU soon, I am going to suggest you to try out SD Aqua Tail Drapion over it when the ban happens.

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail
- Poison Jab

While it unfortunately doesn't have access to Priority, I think Drapion's typing and coverage will fit your team well. Aqua Tail is used as I think Gligar can be annoying for you (it does give your Moltres a free switch / Slowking can deal with it, but you never know) and it gives Drapion some nice coverage too :]

Hope I helped! (im def stealing this kthx)

Haha I stole this team but ended up switching slowking for arommatisse for wish passing, it is a very strong team and got me to 100 coil I had left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)