Jynx [3/3]

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

• has great Special Attack and good speed
  • two good STAB's in Ice and Psychic
  • has a good ability in Dry Skin
  • access to useful moves as Lovely Kiss and Nasty Plot
  • horrible physical defense
  • bad defensive typing
  • lots of pokemon still outspeed it

Special Attack
########
name: Special Attacker
Move 1: Lovely Kiss
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Psyshock / Psychic
Move 4: Nasty Plot / Focus Blast
ability: Dry Skin
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Lovely Kiss cripples most counters and gives you free setup turns
  • Ice Beam is Jynx's main STAB move and gets great coverage.
  • Psyshock is another STAB move which allows you to hit Pokemon on their Physical Defense.
  • Psychic is STAB as well and a bit stronger than Psyshock, but still hits on their Special Defense.
  • Nasty Plot can raise your Special Attack to extremely high levels, which allows you to sweep.
  • Focus Blast can be used instead of Nasty Plot for more coverage, although you lose out on a lot of power.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Speed and Special Attack to make Jynx hit as fast and hard as possible.
  • 4 Special Defense HP's so you get an odd HP.
  • Timid nature as you can't allow Jynx to get outsped and KO'd by the many threats with a slightly lower speed stat.
  • Life Orb makes Jynx hit a bit harder.
  • Focus Sash allows Jynx to survive one hit no matter what.
  • Dry Skin allows Jynx to force out most Water types as it becomes immune to their STAB moves.

Usage Tips
========

• Best used late game
  • If you use Life Orb, you can wear down steels by repeatedly hitting them during the game, as most have no recovery.
  • If you use Focus Sash, switch it in after a kill or on a predicted Water type move so its Sash won't be broken.
  • Use Nasty Plot when you force something out.
  • Use Lovely Kiss when a counter switches in or when you need a turn of set-up.
Team Options
========

• Jynx appreciates Hazard support from the likes of Omastar or Accelgor to net crucial KO's
  • Hazards wear it down quickly, so hazard control is needed, especially if you use Focus Sash.
  • Fighting, Ground and Fire types help it against the Steel types it can't hit neutrally.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Lovely Kiss / Focus Blast
move 4: Trick
ability: Dry Skin
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Ice Beam is Jynx' main STAB.
  • Psyshock is another STAB that lets Jynx hit Pokemon on their Physical defense.
  • Lovely Kiss allows you to quickly cripple something.
  • Focus Blast is a strong coverage moves that hits Steel and Dark types.
  • Trick is used to cripple defensive Pokemon trying to switch into you.

Set Details
========

• EV's are used to get maximum speed and special attack.
  • Choice Scarf allows Jynx to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame.
  • Timid allows Jynx to reach maximum speed, outspeeding other scarfers like Sawk and speed tying with Primeape.
  • Modest lets Jynx hit harder, but it loses to some other scarfers.
  • Dry Skin as it makes Jynx immune to Water type attacks, offering switch in opportunities and immunity to Aqua Jet
  • Can be used as a lead to prevent hazards with Lovely Kiss.

Usage Tips
========
  • Use Jynx to revenge Kill a Pokemon.
  • Switch it in after an ally fainted or on a predicted Water, Ice or Psychic type hit.
  • Be careful with what you lock yourself into, or your opponent gets free set-up opportunities.
Team Options
========

• Jynx appreciates teammates with a Slow U-Turn or Volt Switch so it can come in safely.
  • It can easily remove Grass types like Vileplume so Water types can sweep.
  • It can cripple walls with Trick so they are basically dead weight.
  • Pokemon that remove hazards are a must so that Jynx can keep switching in, for example Cryogonal or Pelipper.

Other Options
########
  • Substitute
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Calm Mind
  • Taunt and Magic Coat
  • Wish
  • Heal Bell
  • Dual Screens

Checks & Counters
########

**Priority** Jynx hates Priority from the likes of Pawniard, Liepard, Kangaskhan, Spiritomb, Hariyama and Gurdurr. All of those can easily revenge it due to Jynx' low defense.
**Steel types** likes Pawniard, Probopass and Bastiodon can tank Jynx' STAB's without fear as they resist both. They only have to be wary of Focus Blast.
**Sturdy mixed walls** notably Drowzee, Hypno, Audino and Lickilicky. They can absorb some hits, but are suspect to being worn down by repetitive attacks.
**Hazards** mostly Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Scarf needs Lovely Kiss instead of a coverage move
Nasty Plot needs Lovely Kiss, I wouldn't even slash Substitute, SubNP isn't that good this gen as Spiritomb doesn't care about sub - probably only a mention in OO
Definitely mention that Jynx is a pretty good lead that can prevent hazard with LK

Wouldn't even mention Specs. Jynx doesn't care too much about Life Orb recoil because it dies to almost everything as it is.

Focus Blast should get a mention under NP Set Comments. Kiss + three attacks is still a good set.

Mention Spiritomb under the priority sections of Checks and Counters.

QC 1/3 after these

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm really not a huge fan of a set called "Nasty Plot" suggesting the potential removal of Nasty Plot in Moves. I do agree that LK + 3 attacks is a good set however so I would change it to something more like:

name: Special Attacker
- Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Psychic
- NP / FBlast
item: LO / Sash

Shock is preferred with NP while Psychic is better with FBlast (though both are interchangeable). Sash should only be used with NP.

Thoughts?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I like that set, and I agree if you are going to suggest removing a move that defines the set rename the set.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You have Lovely Kiss twice lol, need one of those to be Nasty Plot, and then depending on where it is you need to rearrange your moves in moves.
Under team options name a couple of pokemon that can do the jobs of the things you suggested, for instance for hazard control mention something like cryo for spin or pelipper for defog, under both sets you need some examples.
Your Set Details are a bit messed up:
[Special Attacker]
Always use Focus Sash with Lovely Kiss as Substitute breaks the sash. (You dont mention Substitute at all in moves and its only in oo so remove this)

[Choice Scarf]
Can be used as a lead to prevent hazards with Lovely Kiss. (This should go under usage tips) You can remove Nasty Plot with Focus Blast to be able to hit Steel types (Nasty Plot on a choice scarf lol)
Under team options of the choice scarf add in some hazard removal pokemon as well.

Under C&C add in hazards because with even just rocks up it limits the amount of times you can switch in a scarfed variant, the special attacker is left for late game so it doesnt mind the hazards as much.

Do those and consider it [QC 3/3]

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Scarf Jynx should never use a Modest Nature as you want it to outspeed Lilligant at +1 / Choice Scarf Rotom / stuff

Ares

Just a reminder to remove mentions of Spiritomb and Omastar.

Have fun writing.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Snaquaza

Slash Psychic over Psyshock on the Choice Scarf set. One of Jynx's main niche is that it can safely revenge kill +2 Carracosta, Kabutops, weakened Feraligatr, +2 Gorebyss, etc. Psychic does more damage against these targets than Psyshock. I could also argue that the tier at the moment has more physically bulkier Pokemon than specially bulky ones, which should make Psychic better most of the time. Choice Scarf Jynx also runs Trick and Lovely Kiss to cripple specially defensive walls that Jynx can't 2hko, so Psyshock isn't That Important. Psyshock can be good in some situation though, so mention it in Moves only.

In the Choice Scarf's set details, remove the mention of Modest, Jynx doesn't want to be slower than positive base 85s lol.

I would also like a small mention of Energy Ball in moves as it is a viable option to run along with Psyshock (note that it is not good with Psychic) as it will allow Jynx to reliably beat the Water-types that I mentionned above that Psyshock doesn't beat.

-------------

Also about the first set, you say in Usage Tips that it is better used in the late game?? I don't know for you, but if I use Focus Sash or Life Orb Jynx, I would play it in the early-game (like, straight up lead with it if Focus Sash) and mid-game to punch holes in the opponent's team. Life Orb / Sash Jynx isn't a cleaner, it is a wallbreaker.

I know this is at 3/3, but I feel like you need to work on some stuff lol (ex: the Overview)

edit: might as well say whats wrong with the overview:

• I don't think it is necessary that you tell the reader that Jynx has good SpA and Spe when there will be its stats just above the overview.
  • Base 95 Spe is not slow, but in that last bullet you say Jynx is outsped by a lot of things. thats kinda confusing.
  • most of your bullets could easily be all put together.
Try to explain what's its niche in NU, that it can have a lot of problems with priority users as it will take a lot from Fake Out or Mach Punch, or even get OHKOed by Bullet Punch, Shadow Sneak, and Sucker Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)