Kabutops (BW2 Revamp) [QC 4/3] [GP 2/2]

Pretty sure this is a fairly important analysis, so I'd like to get a lot of input so this turns out a strong final product =)

Code:
[I]To-Do List:[/I]
[LIST]
[*]Rewrite to be more current meta relevant, obv.(the current Overview is really cool, 
but I don't think it actually says much about the 'mon itself :x) [✓]
[*]Reorder sets (Offensive Spin>SD>CB?) [✓]
[*]Establish set viability (Thoughts:Sub+SD gets scrapped for SD AC material, Defensive
set to OO) [✓]
[*]Re-affirming Item, Nature, and Move slashes [✓]
[*]QC lgi [✓]
[*]Chicken-scratch up words [✓]
[*]Gee Pee [✓]
[/LIST]

Probably can't have soup :[

[Overview]

<p>In many senses of the word, Kabutops is at the pinnacle of RU. In a tier chock-full of hazard users, Rapid Spin users are coveted, and Kabutops is the best offensive user of the move available. Not only is Kabutops able to effectively beat every Ghost-type Pokemon switching into it with proper execution, but its respectable offensive prowess provokes several Pokemon to switch out, giving it plenty of opportunities to use Rapid Spin. Kabutops's interesting Water / Rock typing, on top of granting it a STAB combination that is unresisted by most of the tier, provides useful resistances to Fire-, Normal-, and Flying-type attacks, making it capable of switching into common Pokemon such as Entei rather easily. Kabutops can capitalize on these opportunities with setup moves such as Swords Dance, becoming a dangerous sweeper at the drop of a hat. Moreover, excellent abilities such as Weak Armor and Swift Swim allow Kabutops to mitigate its somewhat low base 80 Speed stat. Similarly, access to Aqua Jet further supports Kabutops's middling Speed, allowing it to check dangerous Pokemon such as Entei, Moltres, and Aerodactyl rather well.</p>

<p>Of course, Kabutops is by no means without its faults. Common Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Tangrowth can wall Kabutops for extended periods of time without much trouble, and without a reasonable method of hitting fast Grass-types, Kabutops is susceptible to being taken advantage of by dangerous Pokemon such as Sceptile and Lilligant. What's more, weaknesses to common Electric-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks severely impede Kabutops's potency against more offensive teams. However, when all is said and done, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon and should be considered for almost any team.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Sword Dance / Waterfall
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
ability: Weak Armor
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops's excellent offensive capabilities and movepool allow it to serve as an excellent user of Rapid Spin, capable of beating every conventional Ghost-type in the tier that attempts to switch into it. Stone Edge provides a high-powered STAB move, essential to allowing Kabutops to break through defensive Ghost-types such as Calm Mind Spiritomb and Dusknoir, as well as knocking out Pokemon such as Sceptile that try to switch into it and force it out. Aqua Jet is an excellent priority move for Kabutops to have access to, as it not only allows Kabutops to handle an assortment of weakened offensive Pokemon, but also always beats 4 HP Rotom after a Swords Dance after Stealth Rock damage when using Life Orb, preventing it from being able to block the Rapid Spin and threaten Kabutops with a powerful Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. As a result of situations like this, Swords Dance is also a very useful move on Kabutops, as it not only allows Kabutops the ability to effectively sweep later in a match but also allows it to pressure every Ghost-type in the tier, being able to OHKO both Dusknoir and Spiritomb with Stone Edge, and OHKO Rotom with Aqua Jet after a boost with Stealth Rock damage. On the other hand, Waterfall provides Kabutops with a moderately powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types moderately hard without dedicating Kabutops to a sweep, which is invaluable in early stages of a match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Life Orb and Lum Berry is hugely important to Kabutops and largely alters how it plays. Life Orb is technically the "better item" for Kabutops to wield purely due to its ability to hit Ghost-types for the extra damage needed to knock them out. Here are some damage calculations to demonstrate what I mean:</p>
<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Stone Edge vs. 252/252+ Spiritomb 48.02 - 56.9%</li>
<li>+2 Stone Edge vs. 252/252 Spiritomb 96.05 - 113.15%</li>
<li>Stone Edge vs. 252/104+ Dusknoir 47.61 - 56.12%</li>
<li>+2 Stone Edge vs. 252/104 Dusknoir 94.21 - 111.56%</li>
<li>+2 Aqua Jet vs. 4/0 Rotom 87.6 - 103.71%</li>
</ul>

<p>That being said, teams that absolutely require Rapid Spin support to function, including those with multiple hazard-weak Pokemon or Pokemon such as Moltres that can't function with Stealth Rock on the field, would appreciate Life Orb Kabutops more so than any alternative item choice. In contrast, Lum Berry offers Kabutops leniency in play. The ability to rid itself of status passively is invaluable in match-ups with more defensively based Pokemon, where Thunder Wave, Scald, and Will-O-Wisp are highly common. Moreover, whilst wielding Lum Berry, Kabutops becomes one of the most effective responses to Smeargle offensive teams have access to, being able to absorb a singular Spore, bring it down to its Focus Sash with either Stone Edge or Waterfall, and then proceeding to KO it with either Rapid Spin or Aqua Jet, preventing it from setting up any hazards or passing stat boosts at minimal cost to the team.</p>

<p>While Aqua Jet is useful for more offensive threats, Waterfall can be utilized over it to increase Kabutops's effectiveness against slower teams, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types much better than it normally would. Though Weak Armor is often better suited for Kabutops, allowing it to switch into attacks such as Entei's Flare Blitz and obtain a Speed boost, Battle Armor grants it a safer ability for maintaining Kabutops's Defense. When using Battle Armor, a bulkier spread such as 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with Leftovers should be given thought, increasing Kabutops's longevity and granting it more leniency in spinning hazards in exchange for sweeping capabilities. A Jolly nature can be used to good effect, allowing Kabutops to outpace a few notable targets, the most prominent being Modest Rotom-C, Smeargle, Adamant Gallade, and Adamant Kabutops.</p>

<p>Naturally, hazard-weak Pokemon make for respectable partners for this set, not only in that Kabutops keeps hazards off the field well but also in that most Stealth Rock weak Pokemon lend themselves to supporting Kabutops well offensively, and vice-versa. Moltres, Pinsir, and Entei all make solid examples of this, with all three being able to threaten Pokemon like Tangrowth with their STAB moves who otherwise wall Kabutops quite aptly. Moltres is even capable of threatening Poliwrath, Kabutops's nemesis, with its powerful Hurricane. Moreover, as Pokemon such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very capable of switching into everything in Kabutops's arsenal barring Stone Edge, having a respectable switch-in to Grass-types is always appreciated. Druddigon and Escavalier are both good examples of this, being able to shrug off most Grass-type Pokemon's conventional attacks and threatening them with powerful attacks off their own. Kabutops pairs very well with Fire- and Grass-types, known as the Fire / Water / Grass core, as they collectively have excellent offensive and defensive synergy. Aside from the previously mentioned Entei and Moltres, Grass-types such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very solid partners for Kabutops, being able to threaten bulky Water-types that trouble Kabutops and its Fire-type partners with their STAB attacks and receiving the Scalds they commonly carry better than most.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Waterfall

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By abandoning the pretense of Rapid Spin, Kabutops is capable of serving as an incredibly potent and dangerous sweeper. Weak Armor compounds upon Kabutops's potency, allowing it to switch into common attacks such as Entei's Flare Blitz to grab a Speed boost, reaching a point where Pokemon such as Sceptile can no longer keep it in check. Stone Edge offers Kabutops a powerful STAB move, hitting Water-, Dragon-, and Grass-types hard and allowing Kabutops to better distinguish itself from similar Water-type sweepers such as Feraligatr. Aqua Jet makes up for Kabutops's lack of immediate Speed, allowing it to KO faster Pokemon such as Manectric and Primeape that would otherwise keep Kabutops under control. Waterfall offers a more powerful Water-type attack, allowing Kabutops to hit slower Fighting-types such as Hariyama for respectable damage, in addition to hitting Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In terms of item choice, Life Orb's ability to procure critical damage on Pokemon is certainly appreciated, allowing Kabutops to take on Pokemon such as Druddigon, Steelix, and offensive Tangrowth with little more than Stealth Rock support after a Swords Dance. However, in a tier where status is so commonplace, Lum Berry is never a bad option on a sweeper such as Kabutops, and the leniency the item grants allows it a much easier time setting up. While Weak Armor's general usefulness is undeniable, Kabutops's other abilities have merit as well. Battle Armor is a useful "safe" ability, keeping Kabutops's Defense intact and removing certain elements of luck from the equation, whereas Swift Swim, in the context of a rain team, is by no extent bad and allows Kabutops to serve as an incredibly dangerous speedy sweeper. A Jolly nature is useful for outpacing Pokemon such as Gallade and Rotom-C lacking a Choice item, both of which do not commonly run Speed boosting natures, though the loss in power becomes very evident when facing bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Steelix. Superpower is a viable attacking option, allowing Kabutops to hit Ferroseed hard, as well as being Kabutops's best bet at damaging Poliwrath, though the Attack drop it ensues hurts its sweeping potential and should be used sparingly if possible.</p>

<p>Kabutops appreciates partners capable of taking on bulkier Water- and Grass-types, Poliwrath, Tangrowth, and Ferroseed being the biggest issues, though faster Grass-types such as Sceptile and Lilligant are moderately threatening as well. Sigilyph is a very useful partner for removing Kabutops's defensive checks, being able to switch into the majority of their attacks with ease courtesy of Magic Guard negating damage from Leech Seed and Scald and threaten them with Psychic, Air Slash, or even Heat Wave. Similarly, Roselia can switch into the majority of Pokemon that threaten Kabutops, taking advantage of such Pokemon to set up Spikes that in turn make Kabutops's job of sweeping that much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of utilizing a Choice Band to overcome some of its more conventional checks and counters. Stone Edge offers a powerful STAB attack to hit hard with, even being able to 2HKO bulky Pokemon such as Tangrowth with Stealth Rock and Spikes on the field. Aqua Jet offers Kabutops a powerful priority attack, allowing it to revenge kill speedy Pokemon such as Aerodactyl with ease. Waterfall provides Kabutops with a more powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit slower Fighting-types hard. Superpower rounds off Kabutops's coverage, allowing it to hit Steel-types hard, punishing Ferroseed that would otherwise check Kabutops. This is also Kabutops's best bet at hitting Poliwrath, dealing respectable damage to it and forcing it to use Rest.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though Weak Armor is generally preferred for its ability to mitigate Kabutops's low base Speed and better fits the hit-and-run style of a Choice Band set, Battle Armor is perfectly viable for those wishing to preserve Kabutops's Defense. A Jolly nature can be used and allows Kabutops to outpace Adamant Gallade and opposing Adamant Kabutops as well as Modest Rotom-C, though otherwise Adamant's extra power is preferred. Rapid Spin, despite being generally ill-suited for a Choice set, still remains a very useful move overall and can be utilized over Waterfall to decent effect. However, it should be noted that this is not a very consistent method of keeping hazards off the field and should not be utilized over a more consistent Rapid Spin user if the team explicitly requires the removal of entry hazards to function.</p>

<p>Entry hazard support, both Stealth Rock and Spikes ideally, are essential to guaranteeing certain KOs on Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Druddigon. Steelix, Druddigon, and Roselia all make reasonable examples of partners for such an end, being able to set up hazards on many Pokemon Kabutops attracts. Moreover, as Kabutops still struggles to play around bulky Water-types, Poliwrath in particular, partners that can exploit such opposing Pokemon are very helpful. Lilligant, Sceptile, and Substitute + Calm Mind Uxie are all excellent examples of this.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of taking advantage of its Swift Swim ability and serving as a dangerous rain sweeper, though it should be noted that it requires serious support to function. Similarly, a Rock Polish set can be utilized to boost Kabutops's Speed, though it usually is an inferior option to Rain Dance, only serving to prevent opposing rain teams from gaining advantage. Lastly, Kabutops's fairly unique typing, in addition to access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, makes a defensive set a possibility, though Kabutops is simply better off playing to its strengths rather than serving as a defensive Rapid Spin user, a task Cryogonal does far better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Kabutops's most prominent check is Poliwrath, which shrugs off all of its attacks without too much trouble and can either cripple it with a potential Scald burn or phaze it out with Circle Throw, dealing heavy damage in the process. Similarly, Quagsire is capable of handling Kabutops's attacks very well, negating any possible Swords Dance boosts with its Unaware ability and threatening Kabutops with STAB Earthquake. Defensive Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Ferroseed also handle Kabutops well, though Ferroseed needs to be wary of the stray Superpower. Bulky Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron, despite being weak to Water-type attacks, take Kabutops lacking Waterfall and Superpower quite well, taking very little from Aqua Jet and being able to retaliate with a STAB Earthquake. Speedy Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can all switch in on everything but Stone Edge and Superpower without much trouble and threaten with their STAB moves. Fast Fighting- and Electric-types are capable of outpacing Kabutops and KOing it with their STAB attacks, though if they allow themselves to be worn down they will fall victim to a powerful Aqua Jet. Rotom in particular is a very prominent example of an Electric-type, as it is also a Ghost-type, and thus is commonly found matched up with Kabutops.</p>

• Make sure that the Overview includes more info on Kabutops's capabilities rather than physical appearance etc.
  • The ability is Weak Armor, not Broken Armor (maybe you were joking lol).
  • Swift Swim in AC of all the sets because the Defense drops can put Kabutops at a disadvantage.
  • Definitely a Swift Swim set in OO as well as Splash Plate, Knock Off, and Stealth Rock.

Next time don't put up a wip that's this incomplete, but the sets look good to start.

Yeah, kinda kidding on the Broken Armor bit, I'll just change it to avoid future confusion though lol. Will do on the Overview and Swift Swim set, since 'Tops is one of the best Rain sweepers available and all. Also sorry about the bareness of it all, I'll be filling it all in very shortly (like, give me half an hour or something :P ).

Did I say half an hour? I meant my computer will delete my save file and lose my wifi connection '~' Anywho, sorry for the double post, but fleshed out everything, so any more input would be super :)

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Auspicious Water / Rock typing not only offers excellent overall neutral coverage, but some cool resistances as well, granting it the ability to switch into Normal-, Fire-, and Ice-types attacks quite effectively (also resists ESpeed, which is p.swell)
The resistance to Ice doesn't matter very much. Kabutops still can't switch in on any Ice-types except Cryogonal. Resistance to Flying is a little more important, but really it's just the Fire and Normal resists that give him most of his chances to come in. I think it would be worth mentioning Entei explicitly here because it's so common, so good, and so easy for Kabutops to switch in on.

Arguably the best offensive Rapid Spin user in the tier, when played properly Kabutops can beat every Ghost-type available 1v1 and proceed to spin
It doesn't beat every Ghost 1v1. The most obvious counterexample is Rotom who is faster, easily survives Aqua Jet, and OHKOes with Thunderbolt. Kabutops beats every Ghost that switches in on it (which is what spinblockers generally do). Also, in the actual writeup please do not just say "when played properly". Actually explain (briefly) how to play Kabutops properly.

I agree the Ice-type resistance doesn't do much, but being able to set up on a choice-locked Blizzard does come in handy at times, so I thought I'd mention it. Wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning a specific 'mon in the Overview, but I'll definitely mention Entei specifically if that's what QC wants.

Also should have been more clear on that spinning point, I do realize it doesn't beat them from the get-go, and meant to say that it beats any Ghost-type switching in, sorry :x I'll be sure to go into more detail on how to play 'Tops in match-ups with Ghost-types, since it's super relevant to the set.

Thanks Honko =)

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention in AC of the first set that you can use Waterfall and Leftovers along with a slightly bulkier spread (and Battle Armor obviously). I've used a spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe (with some Speed creep though) and it was still powerful but I appreciated the longevity that it had.

Will do c_l, thanks :) Also, since there doesn't seem to be any big qualms with everything, and I'd like to think I've covered most of the bases, I guess this is ready for QC to look over.

[Overview]

• Best offensive Rapid Spin user
  • Aqua Jet is a great priority move so I'd say something to that effect

[Offensive Rapid Spin]

• Mention in AC that you can forego Aqua Jet for Swords Dance + Waterfall
  • Works great in an offensive F/W/G core

[Checks & Counters]

• Definitely mention Rotom as a check
  • Quagsire
  • Steelix can win vs an offensive spin set without Waterfall

Possibly more comments later, kinda tired xD.

Alrighty, got everything, I totally forgot Quagsire existed for a second there .-. Lol, thanks DC!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC approved 2/3

Kabutops is a threat in UU matches, and now it is a threat in RU matches as well

You should probably change the item of the Choice Band set to Choice Band. XD
Aww, but I've always been a fan of Oran Berry on my Choice Bands Kabutops :[ Seriously though, I was just kidding with that lol. Thanks for all the checks guys, I'll do my best to write this up in a timely manner.

GP check. Good job on writing this. A couple comments: be more careful with it's vs its, turn off those curly apostrophes and quotation marks on Word (here's a link to a post explaining how to do that), and the possessive of a word ending in s is Xs's not Xs'. Other than that this looks great.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>In many senses of the word, Kabutops is an accepted at the pinnacle of RU. In a tier chock-full of hazard users, Rapid Spin users are coveted, and Kabutops is the best offensive user of the move available. Not only is Kabutops able to effectively beat every Ghost-type Pokemon switching into it with proper execution, but it’s its respectable offensive prowess provoke provokes several Pokemon to switch out, finding giving it plenty of opportunities to use Rapid Spin. Kabutops’ Kabutops's interesting Water / Rock typing, on top of granting it a STAB combination that is unresisted by most of the tier, provides useful resistances to Fire-, Normal-, and Flying-type attacks, making it capable of switching into common Pokemon such as Entei rather easily. Kabutops can capitalize on these opportunities with set-up setup moves such as Swords Dance, becoming a dangerous sweeper at the drop of the a hat. Moreover, excellent abilities such as Weak Armor and Swift Swim allow Kabutops to mitigate it’s its somewhat low base 80 Speed stat. Similarly, access to Aqua Jet further supports Kabutops’ Kabutops's middling Speed, allowing it to check dangerous Pokemon such as Entei, Moltres, and Aerodactyl rather well.</p>

<p>Of course, Kabutops is by no means without it’s its faults. Common Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Tangrowth can wall Kabutops for extended periods of time without much trouble, and without a reasonable method of hitting fast Grass-types, Kabutops is susceptible to being taken advantage of by dangerous Pokemon such as Sceptile and Liligant Lilligant. What’s (change to straight apostrophe) more, weaknesses to common Electric-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks severely impede Kabtops’ Kabutops's potency against more offensive teams. However, with everything when all is said and done, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon, (remove comma) and should be considered for almost any team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops’ Kabutops's excellent offensive capabilities and movepool lends itself to serving allow it to serve as an excellent user of Rapid Spin, capable of beating every conventional Ghost-type in the tier that attempts to switch into it to attempt to block Rapid Spin. Stone Edge provides a high-powered STAB move, quintessential essential to allowing Kabutops to break through defensive Ghost-types such as Calm Mind Spiritomb and Dusknoir, as well as knocking out Pokemon such as Sceptile who that try to switch into Kabutops it and force it out. Aqua Jet is an excellent priority move for Kabutops to have access to, as it not only allows Kabutops to handle an assortment of weakened offensive Pokemon, (remove comma) but also always beats 4 HP Rotom after a Swords Dance when assuming for Life Orb and after Stealth Rock damage when using Life Orb, preventing Rotom it from being able to block the Rapid Spin and threaten Kabutops with a powerful Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. That said, As a result of situations like this, Swords Dance is also a very useful move on Kabutops, as it not only allows Kabutops the ability to efffectively effectively sweep later in a match, (remove comma) but also allows Kabutops it to pressure every RU Ghost-type in the tier, being able to OHKO both Dusknoir and Spiritomb with Stone Edge, (remove comma) and OHKO Rotom with Aqua Jet after a boost with Stealth Rock damage. On the other hand, Waterfall provides Kabutops with a moderately powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types moderately hard without dedicating Kabutops to a sweep, which is invaluable in early stages of a match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Life Orb and Lum Berry is hugely important to Kabutops, (remove comma) and largely alters how he it plays. Life Orb is technically the “better item” (change to straight quotation marks) for Kabutops to wield sheerly in it’s purely due to its ability to hit Ghost-types for the extra damage needed to knock them out:
</ul>
That being said, teams that absolutely require Rapid Spin support to function, including those with multiple hazard-weak Pokemon or Pokemon such as Moltres that can’t (change to straight apostrophe) function with Stealth Rock on the field, would appreciate Life Orb Kabutops more so than it’s any alternative item choices choice. In contrast, Lum Berry offers Kabutops leniency in play. The ability to rid itself of status passively is invaluable in match-ups with more defensively based Pokemon, where Thunder Wave, Scald, and Will-O-Wisp are highly common. Moreover, whilst wielding Lum Berry (add comma) Kabutops becomes one of the most effective responses to Smeargle offensive teams have access to, being able to absorb a singular Spore, bring it down to it’s its Focus Sash with either Stone Edge or Waterfall, and then proceeding to KO it with either Rapid Spin or Aqua Jet, preventing it from setting up any hazards or passing stat boosts at minimal cost to the team.</p>

<p>While Aqua Jet is useful for more offensive threats, Waterfall can be utilized over it to increase Kabutops’ Kabutops's effectiveness against slower teams, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types much better than it normally would. Though Weak Armor is often better suited for Kabutops, allowing it to switch into attacks such as Entei’s (change to straight apostrophe) Flare Blitz and obtaining obtain a Speed boost, Battle Armor grants it a safer ability for maintaining Kabutops’ Kabutops's Defense. When using Battle Armor, a bulkier spread such as 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with Leftovers should be given thought, increasing Kabutops’ Kabutops's longevity and granting it more leniency in spinning hazards in exchange for sweeping capabilities. A Jolly nature can be used to good effect, allowing Kabutops to outpace a few notable targets, the most prominent being Modest Rotom-C, Smeargle, Adamant Gallade, and Adamant Kabutops.</p>

<p>Naturally, hazard-weak Pokemon make for respectable partners for this set, not only in the that Kabutops keeps hazards off the field well, (remove comma) but also in that most Stealth Rock weak Pokemon lend themselves to supporting Kabutops well offensively, and vice-versa. Pokemon such as Moltres, Pinsir, and Entei all make solid examples of this, with all three being able to threaten with their STAB moves Pokemon (add comma) such as Tangrowth, who that otherwise wall Kabutops quite aptly, with their STAB moves. Moltres is even capable of threatening Poliwrath, Kabutops’ Kabutops's nemesis, with it’s its powerful Hurricane. Moreover, since as Pokemon such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very capable of switching into everything in Kabutops’ Kabutops's arsenal barring Stone Edge, having a respectable switch-in to Grass-types is always appreciated. Druddigon and Escavalier are both good examples of this, being able to shrug off most Grass-type Pokemon’s Pokemon's conventional attacks and threatening them with powerful attacks off their own. Kabutops pair very well with Fire- and Grass-types, known as the FWG Fire / Water / Grass core, as they collectively have excellent offensive and defensive synergy. Aside from the previously mentioned Entei and Moltres, Grass-types such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very solid partners for Kabutops, being able to threaten bulky Water-types that trouble Kabutops and it’s its Fire-type partners with their STAB attacks and receiving the Scalds they commonly carry better than most.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By abandoning the pretense of Rapid Spin, Kabutops is capable or serving as an incredibly potent and dangerous sweeper. Weak Armor compounds upon Kabutops' Kabutops's potency, allowing it to switch into common attacks such as Entei's Flare Blitz to grab a Speed boost, reaching a point where Pokemon such as Sceptile can no longer keep it in check. Stone Edge offers Kabutops a powerful STAB move, hitting Water-, Dragon-, and Grass-types hard, (remove comma) and allowing Kabutops to better distinguish itself from similar Water-type sweepers such as Feraligatr. Aqua Jet makes up for Kabutops’ Kabutops's lack of immediate Speed, allowing it to KO faster Pokemon such as Manetric Manectric and Primeape who that would otherwise keep Kabutops under wraps control. Waterfall offers a more powerful Water-type attack, allowing it Kabutops to hit slower Fighting-types such as Hariyama for respectable damage, in addition to hitting Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
(line break)
<p>In terms of item choice, Life Orb’s Orb's ability to procure critical damage on Pokemon is certainly appreciated, allowing it Kabutops to take on Pokemon such as Druddigon, Steelix, and Offensive offensive Tangrowth with little more than Stealth Rock support after a Swords Dance. However, in a tier where status is so commonplace, Lum Berry is never a bad option on a sweeper such as Kabutops, and the leniency the item grants allows it a much easier time setting up. While Weak Armor’s (change to straight apostrophe) general usefulness is undeniable, it’s Kabutops's other abilities have merit as well. Battle Armor is a useful “safe” (change to straight quotation marks) ability, keeping Kabutops’ Kabutops's Defense intact and removing certain elements of luck from the equation, whereas Swift Swim, in the context of a Rain team, is by no extent of the word bad, (remove comma) and allows Kabutops to serve as an incredibly dangerous speedy sweeper. A Jolly nature is useful for outpacing Pokemon such as Gallade and Rotom-C lacking a Choice item, both of whom which do not commonly run Speed boosting natures, though the loss in power becomes very evident when facing bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Steelix. Superpower is a viable attacking option, allowing it Kabutops to hit Ferroseed hard, as well as being Kabutop’s Kabutops's best bet at damaging Poliwrath, though the Attack drop that ensues hurts it’s its sweeping potential and should be used sparingly if possible.</p>

<p>Kabutops appreciates partners capable of taking on bulkier Water- and Grass-types, Poliwrath, Tangrowth, and Ferroseed being the biggest issues, though faster Grass-types such as Sceptile and Lilligant are moderately threatening as well. Sigilyph is a very useful partner for removing Kabutops’ Kabutops's defensive checks, being able to switch in into the majority of their attacks with ease courtesy of Magic Guard negating damage from Leech Seed and Scald and threatening threaten them with Psychic, Air Slash, or even Heat Wave. Similarly, Roselia can switch into the majority of Pokemon that threaten Kabutops, taking advantage of such Pokemon to set up Spikes that in turn make Kabutops’ Kabutops's job of sweeping that much easier.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of utilizing a Choice Band to overcome some of it’s its more conventional checks and counters. Stone Edge offers a powerful STAB attack to hit hard with, even being able to 2HKO bulky Pokemon such as Tangrowth with Stealth Rock and Spikes on the field. Aqua Jet offers Kabutops a powerful priority attack, allowing into it to revenge kill speedy Pokemon such as Aerodactyl with ease. Waterall provides Kabutops with a more powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit slower Fighting-types hard. Superpower rounds off Kabutops’ Kabutops's coverage, allowing it to hit Steel-types hard, punishing Ferroseed that would otherwise check Kabutops. This is also Kabutops’ Kabutops's best bet at hitting Poliwrath, dealing respectable do damage to it and forcing it to use Rest.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though Weak Armor is generally preferred for it’s its ability to mitigate Kabutops’ lower Kabutops's low base Speed and better fits the hit-and-run style of a Choice Band set, Battle Armor is perfectly viable for those wishing to preserve Kabutops’ Kabutops's Defense. A Jolly nature can be used, (remove comma) and allows Kabutops to outpace Adamant Gallade and opposing Adamant Kabutops, (remove comma) as well as Modest Rotom-C, though otherwise Adamant’s (change to straight apostrophe) extra power is preferred. Rapid Spin, despite being generally ill-advised on ill-suited for a Choice set, still remains a very useful move overall, (remove comma) and can be utilized over Waterfall to decent effect. However, it should be noted that this is not a very consistent method of keeping hazards off the field, (remove comma) and should not be utilized over a more consistent Rapid Spin user if the team explicitly requires the removal of entry hazards to function.</p>

<p>Entry hazard support, both Stealth Rock and Spikes ideally, are quintessential essential to guaranteeing certain KOs on Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Druddigon. Steelix, Druddigon, and Roselia all make reasonable examples of partners for such an end, being able to set up hazards on many Pokemon Kabutops attracts. Moreover, as Kabutops still struggles to play around bulky Water-types, Poliwrath in particular, partners that can exploit such opposing Pokemon are very helpful. Liligant Lilligant, Sceptile, and Substitute+Calm Mind Uxie are all excellent examples of this.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of taking advantage of his its Swift Swim ability and serving as a dangerous Rain rain sweeper, though it should be noted that it requires serious support to function. Similarly, a Rock Polish set can be utilized to boost Kabutops’ Kabutops's Speed, though it usually is an inferior option to Rain Dance, only serving to prevent opposing Rain rain teams from gaining advantage. Lastly, Kabutops’ Kabutops's fairly unique typing, in addition to access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, make makes a defensive set a possibility, though Kabutops is simply better off playing to it’s its strengths rather than serving as a defensive Rapid Spin user, a task Cryogonal does far better.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Kabutops’ Kabutops's most prominent check is Poliwrath, who which shrugs off all of its attacks without too much trouble, (remove comma) and being able to can either cripple it with the a potential Scald burn or phaze it out with Circle Throw, dealing heavy damage in the process. Similarly, Quagsire is capable of handling Kabutops’ Kabutops's attacks very well, negating any possible Swords Dance boosts with its Unaware ability, (remove comma) and threatening Kabutops with STAB Earthquake. Defensive Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Ferroseed also handle Kabutops well, though Ferroseed needs to be wary of the stray Superpower. Bulky Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron, despite being weak to Water-type attacks, takes take Kabutops lacking Waterfall or and Superpower quite well, taking very little from Aqua Jet and being able to retaliate with a STAB Earthquake. Speedy Grass-types such as Sceptile, Liligant Lilligant, and Rotom-C can all switch in on everything but Stone Edge and Superpower without much trouble and threaten him with their STAB moves. Fast Fighting- and Electric-types are capable of outpacing Kabutops and KOing it with their STAB attacks, though if they allows themselves to be worn down they will fall victim to a powerful Aqua Jet. Rotom in particular is a very prominent example of an Electric-type, as it is also a Ghost-type, and thusly thus is commonly found matched up with Kabutops.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Sorry for the delay, my computer managed to ruin my edits twice '~' Regardless, thanks a lot melvni, I'm definitely switching to Word for these things to save you the curly apostrophe / comma fix :x

PS Pages sucks :[[[

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>In many senses of the word, Kabutops is at the pinnacle of RU. In a tier chock-full of hazard users, Rapid Spin users are coveted, and Kabutops is the best offensive user of the move available. Not only is Kabutops able to effectively beat every Ghost-type Pokemon switching into it with proper execution, but its respectable offensive prowess provokes several Pokemon to switch out, giving it plenty of opportunities to use Rapid Spin. Kabutops's interesting Water / Rock typing, on top of granting it a STAB combination that is unresisted by most of the tier, provides useful resistances to Fire-, Normal-, and Flying-type attacks, making it capable of switching into common Pokemon such as Entei rather easily. Kabutops can capitalize on these opportunities with setup moves such as Swords Dance, becoming a dangerous sweeper at the drop of a hat. Moreover, excellent abilities such as Weak Armor and Swift Swim allow Kabutops to mitigate its somewhat low base 80 Speed stat. Similarly, access to Aqua Jet further supports Kabutops's middling Speed, allowing it to check dangerous Pokemon such as Entei, Moltres, and Aerodactyl rather well.</p>

<p>Of course, Kabutops is by no means without its faults. Common Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Tangrowth can wall Kabutops for extended periods of time without much trouble, and without a reasonable method of hitting fast Grass-types, Kabutops is susceptible to being taken advantage of by dangerous Pokemon such as Sceptile and Lilligant. What's more, weaknesses to common Electric-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks severely impede Kabutops's potency against more offensive teams. However, when all is said and done, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon and should be considered for almost any team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops's excellent offensive capabilities and movepool allow it to serve as an excellent user of Rapid Spin, capable of beating every conventional Ghost-type in the tier that attempts to switch into it. Stone Edge provides a high-powered STAB move, essential to allowing Kabutops to break through defensive Ghost-types such as Calm Mind Spiritomb and Dusknoir, as well as knocking out Pokemon such as Sceptile that try to switch into it and force it out. Aqua Jet is an excellent priority move for Kabutops to have access to, as it not only allows Kabutops to handle an assortment of weakened offensive Pokemon, but also always beats 4 HP Rotom after a Swords Dance after Stealth Rock damage when using Life Orb, preventing it from being able to block the Rapid Spin and threaten Kabutops with a powerful Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. As a result of situations like this, Swords Dance is also a very useful move on Kabutops, as it not only allows Kabutops the ability to effectively sweep later in a match but also allows it to pressure every Ghost-type in the tier, being able to OHKO both Dusknoir and Spiritomb with Stone Edge, and OHKO Rotom with Aqua Jet after a boost with Stealth Rock damage. On the other hand, Waterfall provides Kabutops with a moderately powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types moderately hard without dedicating Kabutops to a sweep, which is invaluable in early stages of a match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Life Orb and Lum Berry is hugely important to Kabutops and largely alters how it plays. Life Orb is technically the "better item" for Kabutops to wield purely due to its ability to hit Ghost-types for the extra damage needed to knock them out. Here are some damage calculations to demonstrate what I mean:</p>

</ul>

<p>That being said, teams that absolutely require Rapid Spin support to function, including those with multiple hazard-weak Pokemon or Pokemon such as Moltres that can't function with Stealth Rock on the field, would appreciate Life Orb Kabutops more so than any alternative item choice. In contrast, Lum Berry offers Kabutops leniency in play. The ability to rid itself of status passively is invaluable in match-ups with more defensively based Pokemon, where Thunder Wave, Scald, and Will-O-Wisp are highly common. Moreover, whilst wielding Lum Berry, Kabutops becomes one of the most effective responses to Smeargle offensive teams have access to, being able to absorb a singular Spore, bring it down to its Focus Sash with either Stone Edge or Waterfall, and then proceeding to KO it with either Rapid Spin or Aqua Jet, preventing it from setting up any hazards or passing stat boosts at minimal cost to the team.</p>

<p>While Aqua Jet is useful for more offensive threats, Waterfall can be utilized over it to increase Kabutops's effectiveness against slower teams, allowing it to hit Fighting- and Steel-types much better than it normally would. Though Weak Armor is often better suited for Kabutops, allowing it to switch into attacks such as Entei's Flare Blitz and obtain a Speed boost, Battle Armor grants it a safer ability for maintaining Kabutops's Defense. When using Battle Armor, a bulkier spread such as 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with Leftovers should be given thought, increasing Kabutops's longevity and granting it more leniency in spinning hazards in exchange for sweeping capabilities. A Jolly nature can be used to good effect, allowing Kabutops to outpace a few notable targets, the most prominent being Modest Rotom-C, Smeargle, Adamant Gallade, and Adamant Kabutops.</p>

<p>Naturally, hazard-weak Pokemon make for respectable partners for this set, not only in that Kabutops keeps hazards off the field well but also in that most Stealth Rock weak Pokemon lend themselves to supporting Kabutops well offensively, and vice-versa. Moltres, Pinsir, and Entei all make solid examples of this, with all three being able to threaten Pokemon like Tangrowth with their STAB moves Pokemon, such as Tangrowth, who otherwise wall Kabutops quite aptly. Moltres is even capable of threatening Poliwrath, Kabutops's nemesis, with its powerful Hurricane. Moreover, as Pokemon such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very capable of switching into everything in Kabutops's arsenal barring Stone Edge, having a respectable switch-in to Grass-types is always appreciated. Druddigon and Escavalier are both good examples of this, being able to shrug off most Grass-type Pokemon's conventional attacks and threatening them with powerful attacks off their own. Kabutops pairs very well with Fire- and Grass-types, known as the Fire / Water / Grass core, as they collectively have excellent offensive and defensive synergy. Aside from the previously mentioned Entei and Moltres, Grass-types such as Sceptile and Rotom-C are very solid partners for Kabutops, being able to threaten bulky Water-types that trouble Kabutops and its Fire-type partners with their STAB attacks and receiving the Scalds they commonly carry better than most.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By abandoning the pretense of Rapid Spin, Kabutops is capable of serving as an incredibly potent and dangerous sweeper. Weak Armor compounds upon Kabutops's potency, allowing it to switch into common attacks such as Entei's Flare Blitz to grab a Speed boost, reaching a point where Pokemon such as Sceptile can no longer keep it in check. Stone Edge offers Kabutops a powerful STAB move, hitting Water-, Dragon-, and Grass-types hard and allowing Kabutops to better distinguish itself from similar Water-type sweepers such as Feraligatr. Aqua Jet makes up for Kabutops's lack of immediate Speed, allowing it to KO faster Pokemon such as Manectric and Primeape that would otherwise keep Kabutops under control. Waterfall offers a more powerful Water-type attack, allowing Kabutops to hit slower Fighting-types such as Hariyama for respectable damage, in addition to hitting Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In terms of item choice, Life Orb's ability to procure critical damage on Pokemon is certainly appreciated, allowing Kabutops to take on Pokemon such as Druddigon, Steelix, and offensive Tangrowth with little more than Stealth Rock support after a Swords Dance. However, in a tier where status is so commonplace, Lum Berry is never a bad option on a sweeper such as Kabutops, and the leniency the item grants allows it a much easier time setting up. While Weak Armor's general usefulness is undeniable, Kabutops's other abilities have merit as well. Battle Armor is a useful "safe" ability, keeping Kabutops's Defense intact and removing certain elements of luck from the equation, whereas Swift Swim, in the context of a rain team, is by no extent bad and allows Kabutops to serve as an incredibly dangerous speedy sweeper. A Jolly nature is useful for outpacing Pokemon such as Gallade and Rotom-C lacking a Choice item, both of which do not commonly run Speed boosting natures, though the loss in power becomes very evident when facing bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Steelix. Superpower is a viable attacking option, allowing Kabutops to hit Ferroseed hard, as well as being Kabutops's best bet at damaging Poliwrath, though the Attack drop it ensues hurts its sweeping potential and should be used sparingly if possible.</p>

<p>Kabutops appreciates partners capable of taking on bulkier Water- and Grass-types, Poliwrath, Tangrowth, and Ferroseed being the biggest issues, though faster Grass-types such as Sceptile and Lilligant are moderately threatening as well. Sigilyph is a very useful partner for removing Kabutops's defensive checks, being able to switch into the majority of their attacks with ease courtesy of Magic Guard negating damage from Leech Seed and Scald and threaten them with Psychic, Air Slash, or even Heat Wave. Similarly, Roselia can switch into the majority of Pokemon that threaten Kabutops, taking advantage of such Pokemon to set up Spikes that in turn make Kabutops's job of sweeping that much easier.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of utilizing a Choice Band to overcome some of its more conventional checks and counters. Stone Edge offers a powerful STAB attack to hit hard with, even being able to 2HKO bulky Pokemon such as Tangrowth with Stealth Rock and Spikes on the field. Aqua Jet offers Kabutops a powerful priority attack, allowing it to revenge kill speedy Pokemon such as Aerodactyl with ease. Waterfall provides Kabutops with a more powerful Water-type STAB move, allowing it to hit slower Fighting-types hard. Superpower rounds off Kabutops's coverage, allowing it to hit Steel-types hard, punishing Ferroseed that would otherwise check Kabutops. This is also Kabutops's best bet at hitting Poliwrath, dealing respectable damage to it and forcing it to use Rest.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though Weak Armor is generally preferred for its ability to mitigate Kabutops's low base Speed and better fits the hit-and-run style of a Choice Band set, Battle Armor is perfectly viable for those wishing to preserve Kabutops's Defense. A Jolly nature can be used and allows Kabutops to outpace Adamant Gallade and opposing Adamant Kabutops as well as Modest Rotom-C, though otherwise Adamant's extra power is preferred. Rapid Spin, despite being generally ill-suited for a Choice set, still remains a very useful move overall and can be utilized over Waterfall to decent effect. However, it should be noted that this is not a very consistent method of keeping hazards off the field and should not be utilized over a more consistent Rapid Spin user if the team explicitly requires the removal of entry hazards to function.</p>

<p>Entry hazard support, both Stealth Rock and Spikes ideally, are essential to guaranteeing certain KOs on Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Druddigon. Steelix, Druddigon, and Roselia all make reasonable examples of partners for such an end, being able to set up hazards on many Pokemon Kabutops attracts. Moreover, as Kabutops still struggles to play around bulky Water-types, Poliwrath in particular, partners that can exploit such opposing Pokemon are very helpful. Lilligant, Sceptile, and Substitute + Calm Mind Uxie are all excellent examples of this.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Kabutops is very capable of taking advantage of its Swift Swim ability and serving as a dangerous rain sweeper, though it should be noted that it requires serious support to function. Similarly, a Rock Polish set can be utilized to boost Kabutops's Speed, though it usually is an inferior option to Rain Dance, only serving to prevent opposing rain teams from gaining advantage. Lastly, Kabutops's fairly unique typing, in addition to access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, makes a defensive set a possibility, though Kabutops is simply better off playing to its strengths rather than serving as a defensive Rapid Spin user, a task Cryogonal does far better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Kabutops's most prominent check is Poliwrath, which shrugs off all of its attacks without too much trouble and can either cripple it with a potential Scald burn or phaze it out with Circle Throw, dealing heavy damage in the process. Similarly, Quagsire is capable of handling Kabutops's attacks very well, negating any possible Swords Dance boosts with its Unaware ability and threatening Kabutops with STAB Earthquake. Defensive Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Ferroseed also handle Kabutops well, though Ferroseed needs to be wary of the stray Superpower. Bulky Pokemon such as Steelix and Aggron, despite being weak to Water-type attacks, take Kabutops lacking Waterfall and Superpower quite well, taking very little from Aqua Jet and being able to retaliate with a STAB Earthquake. Speedy Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can all switch in on everything but Stone Edge and Superpower without much trouble and threaten with their STAB moves. Fast Fighting- and Electric-types are capable of outpacing Kabutops and KOing it with their STAB attacks, though if they allow themselves to be worn down they will fall victim to a powerful Aqua Jet. Rotom in particular is a very prominent example of an Electric-type, as it is also a Ghost-type, and thus is commonly found matched up with Kabutops.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
just some little nitpicks in the overview

[Overview]

<p>In many senses of the word, Kabutops is at the pinnacle of RU. In a tier chock-full of hazard users, Rapid Spin users are coveted, and Kabutops is one of the best offensive user of the move available. Not only is Kabutops able to effectively beat every most Ghost-type Pokemon switching into it with proper execution, but its respectable offensive prowess provokes several Pokemon to switch out, giving it plenty of opportunities to use Rapid Spin. Kabutops's interesting Water / Rock typing, on top of granting it a STAB combination that is unresisted by most of the tier, provides useful resistances to Fire-, Normal-, and Flying-type attacks, making it capable of switching into common Pokemon such as Entei rather easily. Kabutops can capitalize on these opportunities with setup moves such as Swords Dance, becoming a dangerous sweeper at the drop of a hat. Moreover, excellent abilities such as Weak Armor and Swift Swim allow Kabutops to mitigate its somewhat low base 80 Speed stat. Similarly, access to Aqua Jet further supports Kabutops's middling Speed, allowing it to check dangerous Pokemon such as Entei, Moltres, and Aerodactyl rather well.</p>
Edit: to honko Icicle Plate Cryo? ;-;

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uh, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there Yonko. Kabutops is the best offensive spinner. There's no need to be shy about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)