1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Kabutops (QC 0/3)

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by The Shellder Smuggler, Jul 11, 2014.

1. The Shellder Smuggler

The Shellder Smuggler Banned deucer.

Overview
    ########

- High Attack stat
    - Has access to the based move Rapid Spin, a great move in a tier that has plenty of hazards and limited access to getting rid of them
    - Access to Knock Off, making it a threat to Pokemon in the tier such as Doublade and Gligar
    - Good STABs in Waterfall and Stone Edge
    - Access to priority in Aqua Jet
    - Can use Swords Dance to boost Attack
    - Great in rain due to its ability Swift Swim, however base 85 Speed is mediocre otherwise
    - Bad typing leaving it weak to common Grass-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Electric-type moves
    - Bad 60 HP and 70 SpD stats, but has good 100 Defense and resists some priority such as Ice Shard and Fletchinder's Acrobatics

Offensive Rapid Spin
    ########
    name: Offensive Rapid Spin
    move 1: Rapid Spin
    move 2: Waterfall
    move 3: Stone Edge
    move 4: Aqua Jet / Swords Dance / Knock Off
    ability: Swift Swim
    item: Life Orb / Lum berry
    evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    nature: Adamant

Moves
    ========

- Rapid Spin is the main move and gets rid of hazards
    - Waterfall is a reliable STAB
    - Stone Edge is a more reliable STAB that is less accurate
    - Aqua Jet is priority
    - Swords Dance boosts Attack to allow Kabutops to break through bulkier walls
    - Knock Off knocks off opponents items and hits Pokemon such as Doublade and Cofagrigus hard. Slowking is a main target as well.

Set Details
    ========

- 252 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maxes out Kabutops's Attack
    - 252 Speed EVs maxes out Kabutops's Speed with a neutral nature
    - A Life Orb gives a significant boost to power
    - Lum berry is also viable to stop Kabutops from being crippled by status users that it can't OHKO such as Cofagrigus, and doesn't wear down Kabutops as it uses Rapid Spin
    - Swift Swim is the ability of choice as Weak Armor is rather situational and makes Kabutops more susceptible to priority such as Mach Punch and Shell Armor only blocks rare critical hits

Usage Tips
    ========

- Kabutops should prioritize Rapid Spin if hazards are up and it should be the first move it uses
    - If Swords Dance is being used, since Kabutops can force switches against Pokemon such as Choice-locked Delphox and Rhyperior, Swords Dance is safe to use on the switch
    - Stay in on ghosts you think you will switch out and will overpredict, then hit them with a STAB or Knock Off

Team Options
    ========

- Rain setters such as prankster liepard are very helpful as it doubles Kabutops's speed due to Swift Swim
    - Fire-types such as Delphox benefit from Kabutops getting rid of hazards for them and can hit Grass-types back
    - Fletchinder, Yanmega and Moltres can take grass type moves and are immune to ground-type moves, and like hazards being gone

Other Options
    ########

- Kabutops has access to Stealth Rock, but has minor 4MSS when it comes to putting it in a spot
    - Hone claws can boost attack by 1 stage and boost the accuracy of Stone Edge
    - Low Kick can hit Coballion harder
    - Weak Armor

Checks & Counters
    ########

**Virizion** Virizion resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can OHKO with Leaf Blade

**Status** Burn or Paralysis can easily cripple Kabutops

**Priority** If Kabutops is lacking Aqua Jet, it is very susceptible to priority such as Mach Punch and Sucker Punch

**Bulky Grass-types** Bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangrowth can take any hit Kabutops can offer and can OHKO with a Grass-type STAB.

**Faster checks** Bulkier Pokemon such as Coballion can take any hit Kabutops can offer, but will usually just outspeed and OHKO.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. The Shellder Smuggler

This is ready for QC input. I was itchy on adding a Rain Sweeper set due to lack of good rain setters, but I guess QC can decide.
  3. Arikado

Arikado What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

sup, not QC but just a few thoughts:

[Overview]
    - mention the somewhat average speed
    - likewise, mention the bad 60 HP and 70 SpD, but also write how it doesn't mind priority as much thanks to decent defense and resisting acrobatics, but is weak to mach punch

[Offensive Rapid Spin]
    Looks good for the most part, I don't know how I feel about all knock off being the 3rd slash though, it's such a good move and smacks some Pokemon like slowking jellicent and doublade around. And speaking of that, mention Slowking as a target for knock off as well.

[Team Options]
    Fletchinder needs to be there lol.

[OO]
    Seems good.

[C&C]
    Mention faster Pokemon like Cobalion etc who can revenge it or check it. Tangrowth also deserves a mention, same goes to Amoonguss.

This looks tight, you seem to know what you're doing. keep in mind i'm not qc, just giving a few thoughts :]
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    The Shellder Smuggler likes this.
  4. The Shellder Smuggler

Thanks man, done :)
  5. The Shellder Smuggler

This is ready for QC input

I'll be inactive the following few days so forgive me if I am late on implementing changes
  6. Spirit

Spirit
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

The current set is just bad. You aren't sweeping past jack shit with just Stone Edge and Aqua Jet, not to mention that Swords Dance isn't even needed to beat Spin blockers now that Knock Off is a thing.

Replace the first set with this:

move 1: Stone Edge
    move 2: Knock Off
    move 3: Aqua Jet
    move 4: Rapid Spin
    ability: Weak Armor
    item: Life Orb
    evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    nature: Adamant

You don't need Swords Dance on Rapid Spin Kabutops simply because Knock Off / Stone Edge 2HKOs just about all of Ghost-types at bare minimum with just a bit of prior damage.

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 133-156 (42.6 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Mega Banette: 273-321 (87.5 - 102.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 177-208 (47.3 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So long as you can strip at least 10% from Gourg, Tomb, and Doublade (which Spikes / Rocks in the case of the first two covers), then Kabutops can get an easy spin.

Lum Berry should not be slashed whatsoever. The boost from LO is far too important to pass up as you can see above. Weak Armor should be the main ability considering the extra Speed granted by it can actually be pretty clutch in quite a few situations, that and the fact that rain teams don't really exist (I legit haven't seen one since the Tornadus meta) means that Swift Swim will hardly be useful.

Maybe add this set as well:

move 1: Swords Dance
    move 2: Stone Edge
    move 3: Aqua Jet
    move 4: Low Kick
    ability: Weak Armor
    item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
    evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    nature: Jolly / Adamant

If you're actually going to sweep with Kabutops, this isn't a halfbad way to approach it. The first two moves are self-explanatory, but Low Kick is really cool by drawing in and OHKOing both Virizion and Cobalion after Spikes + Aqua Jet for Virizion with the help of Life Orb. Low Kick also slaughters Registeel, Magneton and other Steels, which is great. Lum is nice option over Life Orb though considering it lets Kabutops get off another Swords Dance in front of Registeel or Alomomola. Jolly allows Kabutops to outpace Adamant Hitmonlee; this comes in handy so that Kabutops doesn't take a Mach Punch to the face after it forces something out and boosts with a Sword Dance, and instead, OHKOs Hitmonlee back with a +2 Aqua Jet and LO.

I've seen this set used before and played with it enough to know that it's pretty good. Though other QC are free to disagree, I think it plays differently enough from the first set to warrant its own. The first one is aimed to be an offensive Rapid Spin user and the second is meant to actually sweep through teams, so I assume the discrepancy is evident.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

The Shellder Smuggler

Are you still working on this? if not i'll have to reassign this analysis in 72 hours
  8. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

No response, i'll have to reassign this :x.

i hope you understand ;-;

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)