1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Kangaskhan

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Sprocket, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

[​IMG]
    Kangaskhan
    Abilities
    : Scrappy, Early Bird, Inner Focus (DW)
    Type: Normal
    HP 105
    Atk 95
    Def 80
    SpA 40
    SpD 80
    Spe 90

[​IMG]
    Mega-Kangaskhan
    Ability
    : Parental bond (Allows the pokemon to attack twice. The second attack is half as powerful)
    Type: Normal
    HP 105
    Atk 125
    Def 100
    SpA 60
    SpD 100
    Spe 100

Kangaskhan is a Pokemon that every VGC team needs to prepare for. Possessing a fast 90/100 base speed, legendary 105/100/100 defenses post-Mega Evolution, and access to Scrappy pre-mega and Parental Bond post-Mega, there are few Pokemon that can go toe-to-toe with the Parent Pokemon. Unlike some Mega-evolutions like Garchomp or Alakazam, Mega Kangaskhan has no real downside to going Mega. Parental Bond acts like a pseudo-Choice Band without the penalty of being locked into a single move. With access to Power-Up Punch, Crunch, and STAB Return, few Pokemon in the game avoid a 2HKO, and with Parental Bond it will even break Substitutes and Focus Sashes reliably. Unfortunately Parental Bond does not affect spread moves, so moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide do not benefit from its boost, but base 125 Attack is nothing to sneeze at.

Set Name: Kangas-Kangaskhan
    Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy/Inner Focus -> Parental Bond
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
    -Fake Out/Power-Up Punch
    -Sucker Punch/Crunch
    -Return/Double-Edge
    -Protect

This is probably Kangaskhan's most common set that i've seen. Pre-Mega, Kangaskhan can run either Scrappy (to guarantee a Fake Out versus ghosts) or Inner Focus, to prevent Fake Out from opposing Fake Out-ers. Post-Mega, the remaining moves will all hit twice (and in the case of Power-Up Punch will also boost attack twice), and from there Kangaskhan can punch holes in the opposing Pokemon. Thanks to Kanga's base 90 speed pre-Mega, the list of Pokemon that can stop a Fake Out is rather small, consisting of faster Fake Out users, the few faster Quick Guard users, and Meowstic.

Bout the only way to stop a Kangaskhan from punching holes in your team is to outplay it, either by resisting all of its attacks, KOing it with faster Pokemon (like Garchomp or Mega Lucario), or inflicting Status such as Burn or Sleep. Sucker Punch can be played around, but many Kangaskhan will carry Crunch instead. It also needs to be wary of attacking Garchomp directly, as many Garchomp have the ability Rough Skin specifically to punish Kangaskhan.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    s0nido and hiten like this.
  2. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Honestly I don't find max speed all that beneficial. Mega-Kanga is fast enough that it'll still outspeed slower mons such as Rotom-W without any investment, so why not invest in that fantastic bulk? I'm sure there are some Speed investment benchmarks that could be hit for relatively low investment, but Kanga seems better off being able to tank as many hits as possible. There isn't that much floating at the max base 100 benchmark (Mega-Khan and Mega-Zard-Y come to mind though), so unless your team has difficulty handling those, all of that Speed investment seems excessive.

Earthquake is another coverage option, since it slams most Steel-types and Mega-Gengar.
    s0nido and Eeyore like this.
  3. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Facade is worth considering as your primary STAB if you're not packing something like Safeguard [Prankster] or Rage Powder Amoonguss, else WoW Rotom and especially Ghosts tend to get the best of MegaKhan. You do lose quite a bit of OHKO power at +0 if you're not statused but the metagame is so physically slanted currently you almost have to expect it most of the time. Facade at +2 still kills a lot of stuff, if you regularly go for the PUP first.

I don't think I've ever seen one without Fake Out, it's Protect that tends to be interchangable with PUP along with the normal STAB option + Crunch/Sucker Punch for coverage. Speed is useful at its speed tier but its lack of resists and borderline tankiness make an investment in bulk good too. It works to Khan's advantage really, as your opponent has to assume it's fast until shown otherwise (when it tanks attacks that a max Speed/Attack Khan shouldn't) and by then it's really too late.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  4. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

it is worth noting that a boosted Facade is Kangaskhan's strongest reliable attack, especially now that Facade ignores the burn damage reduction.
  5. Solace

Solace falling slowly
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I really, really like Kangaskhan. Even though it can tend to be pretty predictable with what it runs, it really hits like a truck. Parental Bond is honestly such a great ability and the double hits have gotten me out of tough situations in games so many times. I usually run Fake Out/Sucker Punch/Return/Protect or Earthquake since that usually guarantees I can hit just about anything that comes in. Earthquake is really good as a coverage move as Tobes pointed out, and I often feel like the partners I use with Kanga give it more room for offense rather than having Protect.

I tend not to invest in speed because the bulk is too good to pass up on. For that reason, I'll usually have a Tailwind user on my team or a Pokemon that can spread around Paralysis. Even though Base 100 speed is pretty fast, Speed Control is always pretty big and I like to make sure that Kangaskhan has the time to hit like a truck. I also like to use Klefki to set up screens too, since that ends up working well with Kangaskhan and Pokemon like it that I usually end up using on my teams.

Considering trying out Facade over Return though, seems like a very cool strategy!
    Sprocket likes this.
  6. Yousername

Yousername

If you guys are recommending to not fully invest in speed, then what would be an ideal spread for Kangaskhan? I just bred a flawless Adamant Kangaskhan and I plan to use it on a Tailwind team, but after seeing this thread, I wasn't too sure how to make a good EV spread for it.
  7. shack

shack

HP if not speed
  8. Unggoy14

Unggoy14

How the heck do you kill this thing when combo'd with Amoonguss or Meowstic?

Amoonguss keeps Rage Powdering and Meowstic basically ensures you can't status it.
  9. Retro64

Retro64

You can will-o-wisp it with Infiltrator Chandelure and a heat wave or fireblast combined with a partner's attack because of rage powder should take out the Amoonguss.
  10. monotonne

monotonne

As a user of kangaskhan and amoonguss i would say that it is pretty difficult, however like Retro64 said Charizard-Y can deal a lot of damage while ohko'ing amoonguss. i dont believe that burn is actually much of a threat to kangaskhan due to its boosting potential. if you do put kangaskhan to sleep make sure you kill it because if not it will just wake up and destroy some more.
  11. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Gourgiest or Ferrothorn are pretty nice answers to Amoonguss + Kanga. Neither can do anything to either of them, while in the meantime Gourgeist can spread Burns or Ferrothorn can Iron Head Amoonguss or Leech Seed the Kangaskhan. Heck, if it's really annoying, you could even set up a Safeguard with Gourgiest. Beyond that, giving something a pair of Safety Goggles helps a good bit as well.
    Darkerones likes this.
  12. dkkc19

dkkc19

Mega Blaziken using Sky Uppercut would tear Kangaskhan apart. I have no problem facing Kanga in 6 vs 6 battles as I always have at least one physical sweeper with a fighting move, or a ghost Pokemon to switch in after Kanga has mega evolved. But in 3 vs 3 I hate facing Kanga.
  13. monotonne

monotonne

this thread is about vgc doubles, dkkc19.
    hiten likes this.
  14. Project_Mars

Project_Mars

Would like to second Gourgeist, it is one of the best checks to MegaKhan in 2014. Safeguard doesnt block Leech Seed so it can heal up in the face of Meow-M. Grass Types are immune to Rage Powder (and Spore) so it can spred burn to Kanga even with Amoongus trying to tank everything. The main reason why Gourgeist is pretty good at checking megakhan is the fact that most common sets for MegaKhan have nothing vs a ghost-type outside of Sucker Punch, which Gourgeist can dance around easily.

That said: Crunch and Fire/Ice moves can do tons of damage to Gourgeist, if you wanted to specifically plan to deal with it using megaKhan at the expense of a move slot.
    Darkerones and s0nido like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)