Battle Spot Kanto Classic - The Origins

Kanto Classic - The Origins

Hi folks! I build this team since the announcement of this online competition. It reminds me the first time I've played Pokemon (at the release day in Europe) and I want what I've never had in more than 15 years : Lance's Dragonite...
Every rate or advice is welcome, I'm not closed to change drastically the structure, considering the metagame in evolution to bulkier teams.
Here's the teambuilding.

Teambuilding

I started with the first core found in the competition : Fairy/Normal/Psychic. It's something quite standard.

Now that I've this core, I need something to break it. Mixed Nidoking with Sucker Punch is the main answer.

We're in 6vs6 format, so bring EH can be very helpful. And I've nothing against Chansey. So I opt for Aero.

After that, I don't know what to add to my team. Considering how many Water types I face, I choose Zapdos.

So now, my team is completed, right ? Yes, but nope, I was defeated 6-0 by a CM Clefable and Aero can't counter setup mons alone. Also my team was too passive with Chansey, and I've nothing to deal with Stealth Rock, so I change it for the wonderful Tentacruel.

Zapdos was more like a filler and I couldn't find the spread that I want for him. So I hope for my actual LGS : Nite (hi Lance!).

After that, I struggle with Snorlax and Golem. Nidoking doesn't help much, so I change for Machamp.

In-Depth

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Clefable is the key of the metagame. Minimize is risky with Heavy Slam Snorlax and hazers, and Stored Power need too long time to be run. Thunder Wave helps against faster mons, especially Nite, Gyarados and Zam. Calm Mind is mostly for late game as you would prefer use Moonblast for immediate damages. Don't forget Moonlight, TWave makes it easier to use.
4 EV are invested in Speed for speed tie against other Clefable.

Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychock
- Protect
- Encore
- Disable

Dark Disruptor is very helpful against stall teams, his Magic Guard and Encore/Disable shut down most of their strategies while being able to take their hits. Psychock is used over Psychic because of Chansey, and having only one move in 1G is okay if it's a Psychic one. I use Protect over Substitute because Zam can use Encore or Disable before his opponent the turn after Protect, and so saves his low HP.

Aerodactyl
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Bar Electrode and Jolteon, Aerodactyl is the faster mon in this competition, so the best Lead and Anti-Lead. Having both Rocks and Taunt helps early game, and Aero can serve as a fast sweeper in late game with EdgeQuake. Stone Edge is a mandatory if you want to OHKO Zam, but don't hesitate to use Rock Slide if you want more accuracy and a flinch against main threats.

Tentacruel
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

The main answer to Clefable is not Nidoking, but Tentacruel. Haze nullifies Calm Mind or Minimize, but also sweep from DD users like Nite or Gyarados. Considering that he is also a Spinner, Tenta can break all support moves except status. If the match is under control, spamming Scald for neutral damage is not a bad idea for the burn and after using Acid Spray.

Machamp
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Poison Jab
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Dynamic Punch with No Guard can pressure your opponent team very hard, especially the popular Snorlax, and create holes for Dragonite, Aerodactyl or Clefable. Poison Jab is very useful to deal with Clefable, the spread lets you outspeed common Clefable, even with 4 EV in Speed. Bullet Punch hurts weaken opponents, Zam, and benefits from the bulk and the high Attack of Machamp. Stone Edge is the last coverage move, but Ice Punch can be used instead.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

I want Lance's one, so I used my one. Running an Adamant Nature is needed if you want some important OHKOs or 2HKOs (Clefable hehe), but speed tie other Nite is more important. Extreme Speed is welcome if you survive an SE move with Multiscale. Make sure you beats Clefable or you have Stealth Rock on the field before sending Nite, as it's your main weapon in late game.

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychock
- Protect
- Encore
- Disable

Aerodactyl
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Tentacruel
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Machamp
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Poison Jab
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

I like the evolution of your team. I'm definitely not fond of Chansey in this meta(or any meta for that matter.)

I don't see many problems at all with this team. Zapdos isn't very kind to you, but you have two pretty tough Stone Edge users, and boosted DNite can muscle past it.

Slowbro seems like a problem, with your only reliable answer being Clefable. Tenta always lives at least one Psyshock, so it's pretty good too. Shadow/Energy Ball over Protect on Zam would help a lot with this one.

Other than at can't really think of anything Good job:)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks really solid. Have you played in on PS to see how it goes? If so, what rank have you managed to achieve? You haven't listed any threats so I'm not sure if that's just because you forgot to or because you don't know because you haven't played much.. As already mentioned above, Slowbro can be annoying for you but Clefable can boost infront of it, and Alakazam can annoy it with Encore and Disable, however it can't do anything with Psyshock.

Slowbro seems like a problem, with your only reliable answer being Clefable. Tenta always lives at least one Psyshock, so it's pretty good too. Shadow/Energy Ball over Protect on Zam would help a lot with this one.
I don't agree with this but it's on the right track. If you want Zam to be able to do anything against Slowbro then change Protect to Substitute, and then use Shadow Ball over Encore. Disable works better on its own than Encore as you want to get rid of the moves that foes want to use against Zam, rather than lock them into them. This means you can disable Slowbro's Scald (while Substitute protects against Thunder Wave) and you then hit it with Shadow Ball. This also lets you beat Sucker Punch Nidoking as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)