1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

Discussion in 'Battle Spot' started by kamikaze, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Corrin

Corrin

Haven't seen Jolteon much, but I suppose it would fill the same role as Tapu Koko as a speedy special pivot, except weaker ( no Electric Terrain ) so I wouldn't recommend using it unless you really want to. And I'd still vouch for Tapu Koko as the best Electric Type, honestly.
  2. Rakom

Rakom

I agree with
    most of the time the buff from Electric Terrain is going to make Koko better. Jolteon does have a couple of cool traits that make it not totally outclassed if you do want to use it though. Higher base Special Attack lets it deal more damage than Koko with non-Electric attacks, it learns Shadow Ball so it can hit Marowak-A while keeping HP Ice, and Volt Absorb is helpful against opposing Electrics. Something like this is probably best:

Pivot Jolteon (open)

Jolteon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Corrin and TheLastAce like this.
  3. Moody Magikarp

Moody Magikarp

This would be my first tour in a while, specifically my first of Gen 7, so I'll wait until the viability rankings come out before I Transfer/breed anything.

The only thing transfer that I'm considering here is a Knock Off Weavile, either sashed or banded and my Garchomp. I haven't had much time with this gen anyway, so looks like I'll just play a few matches for the mega stones unless I start off hot right out the gate.

Edit: Finally got to test on showdown.

The only question becomes Mudsdale or Marowak as my secondary ground type.

Mud gives me a chance against a set up Minior, but Maro resist fairy and absorbs electric which will be a necessity with the Tupu's every where.

The only thing that leans me towards the latter is that I need a fire type. Thing is, he hits like a wet noodle with no thick club.

Mudsdale has slightly more flexibility.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. WallaceTheChampion

WallaceTheChampion

5. Corrin

Corrin

You should be worried about Cloyster as the Shell Smash user, not Minior. In the same vein, both Marowak and Mudsdale have a bad time against Cloyster, but Marowak can atleast try and cripple it with Will-O-Wisp as it sets Shell Smash up whereas Mudsdale is completely helpless. Also, Mudsdale is 100% walled by Celeestela, which is everywhere along side the Tapus; Mudsdale cannot answer both at the same time, Marowak sort of can.

Also, why wouldn't you give Marowak a Thick Club? That allows you to forgo (mostly) ATK EVs in order to increase its overall bulk which does better for Marowak than possibly any other item. Marowak > Mudsdale if all you really need is an Electric sponge. And like I said before, Minior is so, so uncommon that it is almost a non-factor so you can get it off your head.
    Moody Magikarp likes this.
  6. MCScizorite

MCScizorite

Is the team lock as soon as you register your team or when the competition starts?
  7. Siggu

Siggu

When you go to the first battle.
  8. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Global Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

The game prompts you to lock your battle box when you register but you can just choose "no" and then do it when you want to play your first battle, so you can leave it as late as you want.
  9. Moody Magikarp

Moody Magikarp

Yeah, I just saw Minior wasn't even in the top 30 of the alola friendly, but the fact that Cloyster is still the most popular shell smasher doesn't surprise me.

I have a few pokes I can bank over just in case I don't have time to catch Celesteela on my current cart.

And the only item I want to run on Maro is assault vest, but as you stated, the lost in power is hardly worth it.
  10. KingAmphy456

KingAmphy456

I want to try using Specs Alakazam in this competition, as it hits like a 20 story building. What do you think?
  11. Siggu

Siggu

Just because it's not in the Top 30 does not mean it does not have a niche - Gengar is stupidly anti-meta and it's not there either.

That being said, Minior has a good reason for not being there - Cloyster is better here, particularly since it can use a Z-Crystal (Minior wastes Acrobatics that way).

That you'd be asking why no using Tapu Lele then.

Magic Guard Focus Sash is a better set, though, for simple reasons - if Specs Zam cannot OHKO, it goes down, and 2 hits with Sash > 1 hit with Specs :P

You also get freedom to switch moves and if you get one through VC you can score a surprise KO with Counter.
  12. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

Anyone else try unburden Clefable? I have only a couple of times and it's been pretty up and down.
  13. Rakom

Rakom

Do you mean Unaware? Unaware Clefable is solid, can be better than Magic Guard depending on your team and set.
    TheLastAce likes this.
  14. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

Absolutely unaware! I didn't realize I typed in unburden. That's mybad. Lol
  15. Corrin

Corrin

Yes, Unaware Clafable is solid. I've topped the ladder at some point with it before I tried some dumb stuff and tilted. Magic Guard Clafable is pretty mediocre btw, there aren't many things that rely on residual damage to win the match so more often than not you're not really taking advantage of it. However, there are a butt-ton of set-up sweepers whose days are ruined by Unaware Clefable--the likes of Cloyster, Salamence & Mimikyu just straight up lose, whereas they would be able to brute force through the Magic Guard set. There are some merits to using Magic Guard, though: you beat stall, although stall teams are few and far between so take that as you will.

Alola-Muk is a problem no matter which set you're running, though, so you must pack a really solid answer to it or not bring Clefable at all.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    TheLastAce likes this.
  16. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

Completely agree about Alola-Muk, I've actually been running with Justified Lucario for that very reason. There are other steel type I've considered due to far greater bulk but the success I've had with hitting swords dance while carrying life orb has really been quite destructive. Though I'm not entirely comfortable with it just yet, would be cool to see if anyone else is having any luck with a fable-cario team.
  17. Legolax

Legolax

I wouldn't play Sub with Sash.
    Probably I'd go with a more bulky investment in that case (as Kartana isn't very bulky, your Subs aren't the best to get extra turns if you don't have any EVs in Def/SpD).

Else if you want to use Sash, just use something else instead of Substitute: I expecially like Detect even in singles to scout for moves in case I want to switch out Kartana or stop an incoming non-supereffective Z-Move.
    Another idea could be Swords Dance, thanks to Sash you should be able to get a boost from it and start killing the opposing team with ease (just be wary of priority moves and such if you are going to setup).

Btw I got a team too for critique for the upcoming competition: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kanto-x-alola-competition-nidosweep-team.3598165/
    Could anyone give me some tips on it? Is Nidoking too bit of a stretch to build around?
  18. udhhfd12345

udhhfd12345

oh wait
    Kartana @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Detect
    - Sacred Sword
    - Substitute

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    IVs: 3 SpA
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Protect
    - Flamethrower

Tapu Lele @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 236 HP / 248 Def / 24 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Protect

Mandibuzz @ Psychic Seed
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 236 HP / 244 SpD / 28 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Tailwind
    - Roost
    - Taunt

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 244 HP / 60 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 52 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Protect
    - Extreme Speed

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sky Drop
    - Protect
  19. Legolax

Legolax

I think it's better for you to post in the RMT section of the forum (as I did with my team for this Online Competition), or in the Teambuilding Thread (but mostly this is for Battle Spot Singles and Doubles).

This thread should be more about general discussion and such (not sure tho, as there are no explicit rules in the OP). Mods will help you better if you have any questions regarding where to post teams and discussion, just PM them :)

Anyway, if posting teams here is okay, I'd suggest you to give some extra descriptions to the pokemons and sets you are using, that way we can help you out better!
  20. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

12-3 for the first day, one match loss was to a lower ranked trainer with an unconventional team? Overestimated them, switched into a t-bolt that paralyzed my Arcanine when assuming they'd go for flash cannon. That paralysis sealed my fate, hate that shit. Lol

Hope y'all are having better luck!
  21. Bamarah

Bamarah

So far Day 1 has been great, went 12-3 to start off the tour. The 3 losses were due to some Quick Claw bullshit, a dumb misclick on my part, & being greedy vs. a Kartana.

As for mons that are recurring: Mimikyu, Chomp, & Gyarados

Good luck to everybody in the tour...
  22. Siggu

Siggu

Have yet to finish today's battles (so far I'm 7-3, falling to a surprise Scarf Magnezone, a double FAIL of mine and a Cloyster) but I'm noticing a lot of Dragonites.

I know that Extreme Speed is cool and that but... so far it's the most common Pokemon I've seen.

And perhaps Extreme Speed is so cool one of those Dragonites had no STAB whatsoever (Dragon Dance/Extreme Speed/Earthquake/Fire Punch with a Firium Z). The Z-Move did not even deal 50% at +1 vs an unboosted Porygon-Z under Aurora Veil.

UPDATE: 10-5 in the end. Need to think of a plan vs random Scarfers. A Nihilego and another Gengar owned me.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    WallaceTheChampion likes this.
  23. WallaceTheChampion

WallaceTheChampion

1 Win 1 lose atm.

Lost due to Cursed body Gengar:

My Choice Scarfed Garchomp uses earthquake, KO's Gengar gets disabled and struggles to death against Tapu Lele...

EDIT: 4 Wins 5 Loses atm. Lost a match due to a misclick and a crit.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  24. noknuckles

noknuckles

I went 9-6 with a team that went sub 0.500 in Battle Spot. I guess the team is much better when I don't have to deal with threats like Charizard X and Volcarona

Overall, a lot of haxy stuff on both sides. It seems like every single TBolt that touches AV Muk paralyzes it, but maybe it's just because Muk switches into so many TBolts that some of them are bound to para. Then there was a lead Marowak vs opponent Cloyster and I Flare Blitzed burned and killed the Shell Smashing Cloyster that otherwise would have swept me

I basically lost to all the teams that looked like they had thought put into them (ie good teams) and won against the rest (ie people who watch the anime and wanted to copy Ash)

The highlight for me was seeing Catastropika. Very underpowered considering a) Pikachu sucks b) you have to give up the Light Ball. But it was cool seeing it. The lowlight was losing Koko turn 1 to Scarf Krook. It was intimidate Scarf Krook and Intimidate shoulda gone off before Electric terrain, so there was no reason I shouldn't have seen it coming...

I'm using Celesteela (shed shell autotomize), Clefable (magic guard leftovers CM 2 attacks), AV Muk, Alolan Marowak, CB Dodrio, Grassium Koko. Dodrio looked like fun this generation but it's sucked badly for me :(
  25. Mishimono

Mishimono

As expected this tour has been really similar to the friendly which is kinda disappointing because I like to play in comps with unique banlists. I've done 23 battles and I've 1630ish with 5 losses I think. I'm using the most standard team ever and nothing has really surprised me so far.
    Demantoid likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)