1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Keep Calm and Carry On - An RU team. (Peaked 7th)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by StevenJones, Sep 10, 2011.

1. StevenJones

StevenJones

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! This is my second submission to the Rate My Team section. This is an RU-tier team, and provides a chance for some seldom-used Pokes to shine.

This team really started with Kling Klang, whom I believe to be one of the most under-rated (and under-used) Pokes in the 5th gen metagame. After deciding what set I wanted for him, I constructed the rest of the team to cover his weaknesses and provide excellent synergy. This team helped me to peak 7th on Smogon's PO ladder, which goes to show how little guys can make a big impact.

Before I begin to ramble on too much, I will introduce the team:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yes, I know that they look like a rag-tag bunch. However, give these hooligans a chance - they might really suprise you.

Still interested? Let's take a closer look:

[​IMG]

Kraftwerk (Kling Klang) @Life Orb
    Nature:Adament
    Ability: Plus
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd

Shift Gear
    Gear Grind
    Volt Switch
    Return

Here he is, the metal monstrosity himself. What I can't understand is why he is not more frequently used. His pure steel typing is excellent defensively, and whatever weaknesses he has are covered by his team mates. The EV spread above tries to exploit his natural bulk while still maximizing attack. I might take some EVs from his HP stat and put them into Speed - I need to research specific threats that I could outspeed with more investment. This animal was gifted with two amazing, completely unique moves: Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is arguably the best set-up move because, not only does it increase his attack by one stage, it also increases his speed by two stages. After one shift gear, he is able to out speed every non-scarfed Poke in the RU metagame, and even some Scarfers. Gear Grind is amazing move that not only is STAB, reaching 150 BP, but also hits twice, allowing Kling Klang to not only break subs but also cause damage the same turn. Having an abysmal move pool, he needs every move he can afford. Therefore, I put Return (and maximum happiness obviously) on him for extra coverage. Volt Switch is for when he has to get the hell out of a situation.
    (Brownie points for understanding his name).

Synergy
    Fire - Lanturn, Alomomola,
    Ground - Swellow, Claydol
    Fighting - Claydol, Amoongus,

[​IMG]

Zazu (Swellow) @Flame Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Guts
    Evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Facade
    Quick Attack
    Protect
    Brave Bird

Hands down, bar-none, my favourite bird Pokemon in the entire game. He looks like a BAMF, and hits like a truck. This is a somewhat standard Swellow set that uses the Guts ability to make STAB Facade one of the hardest hitting moves in the game. Brave Bird is also a high damage STAB move that hits Grass, Bug and Fighting-Types for super effective damage. Protect is to activate his Flame Orb for the Guts boost, as I usually lead with this animal (haha...). With a Poke this frail, I like having Quick Attack as assurance that I will damage weakened foes (especially Scarfers). However, I might trade this out for U-Turn, to deal with annoying Psychic-Types. (CRESS FOR UU).

Synergy
    Electric - Lanturn, Claydol, Amoongus
    Rock - Kling Klang, Claydol
    Ice - Lanturn, Alomomola, Kling Klang

[​IMG]

Snooki (Claydol) @Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin
    Earth Power
    Toxic

My all purpose entry-hazard layer / spinner / status inflicter. This guy can do it all. And, because he is my specially defensive wall, he can stay alive long enough to do all that. Not very much to say about this set. Earth Power is there so he is not completely offensive-less. (Making up words is fantastic).

Synergy
    Dark - Kling Klang, Amoongus
    Ghost - Swellow, Kling Klang
    Water - Lanturn, Amoongus, Alomomola
    Ice - Lanturn, Alomomola

[​IMG]

Big Bessie (Alomomola) @Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 108 HP / 176 Def / 224 SpD

Wish
    Protect
    Toxic
    Waterfall

My favourite bulky Water-Type. She has a MASSIVE HP stat, which means she can pass off 249 HP Wishes to her team mates. As well, she makes a fantastic Toxic staller with Protect. Her amazing bulk allows her to take physical hits all day, while dishing out a decent amount of damage with STAB Waterfall. An overall fantastic contribution to this team.

(The picture I chose basically sums up my opinion of the Luvdisc-Alomomola fiasco).

Synergy
    Electric - Lanturn, Claydol, Amoongus
    Grass - Amoongus, Kling Klang, Swellow

[​IMG]

YouTrippinBro? (Amoongus) @Black Sludge
    Ability: Effect Spore
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD

Spore
    Stun Spore
    Giga Drain
    Hidden Power [Ice]

This Poke is one bulky mofo'. On him, I run a dual status set, so that, even if the opponent switches out their sleeping Poke, I can still cripple the rest of their team with paralysis. Giga Drain is a fantastic STAB attack that helps keep his health in check. Hidden Power Ice is a filler move and gives more coverage. Any suggestions for this slot would be appreciated. The allotted EV spread is designed to make the maniac mushroom (alliteration FTW) bulky on both ends of the spectrum, although he serves primarily as my Special Wall / status inflictor.

Synergy
    Fire - Lanturn, Alomomola
    Psychic - Claydol, Kling Klang
    Ice - Lanturn, Alomomola

[​IMG]

Derps (Lanturn) @Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpA / 252 SpD

Thunder Wave
    Confuse Ray
    Thunderbolt
    Scald

Good ol' Para-fusion. It annoys the hell out of the opponent, and it works. Very good for forcing switches on threatening Pokes. The EVs I chose help her obtain the status of a Special Wall while at the same time maim some Pokes with a decent SpA and two reliable STAB attacks. Volt Absorb is, in my opinion, a superior ability over Water Absorb. Water-Type attacks are resisted by Lanturn, whilst Electric-Type attacks are not. Therefore, it makes sense to have an ability that completetly sponges the non-resisted Type to add to Lanturn's resistances. This is my reasoning and why I will be running Volt Absorb even when Water Absorb is released.

Synergy
    Ground - Swellow, Claydol
    Grass - Amoongus, Swellow, Kling Klang

Many thanks to all of you for viewing the "Team that Keeps on Trucking". If there are any suggestions you fine readers have that would make this team even better, please comment. I want to know how I did this time around.
  2. StevenJones

StevenJones

Yes, I realise the Amoongus picture is enormous. Enjoy it.
  3. StevenJones

StevenJones

Any input, perhaps?
  4. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

I am not very knowledgeable on RU, but Toxic Orb is a better choice on Swellow. Toxic Orb inflicts 6% the first turn, 12% the second, 18% the 3rd, etc. Therefore, if Swellow switches out by the 3rd turn it inflicts less or equal damage to a burn, which inflicts constant 12% damage.
  5. Amarillo

Amarillo
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hi there!

Your team has serious weaknesses to Steelix and Cresselia. Steelix walls your 2-mon offensive core, and kills all your momentum. On the off chance it carries Toxic (a good move because Steelix can wall/roar/EQ away all Steel/Poison types in RU), you have 0 safe switch ins to Steelix. (Alomomola's Waterfall will not manage to dent it at all) On the other hand, Cresselia can flat-out wall your 4-mon defensive core. The SubCM variant is extremely threatening as it can grab free Substitutes and Calm Minds all over your team. Of course, Neither Klingklang nor Swellow are bulky enough to switch into anything.

In order to fix up those two weaknesses, I suggest a Mixed Honchkrow. MixKrow can really open up ways for your Klingklang and Swellow to sweep by eliminating Physical walls, and allows you to put pressure on Cresselia. As for the replacement, I think that your Amoongus and Lanturn really fills similar roles--main special wall and counter for Electrics/Waters while spreading status and forcing switches. I would switch out Lanturn seeing that you really don't have a good way to capitalize on the switches that the Parafusion strategy causes. But if you think that Lanturn pulls her weight more than Amoongus does, then you can swap out Amoongus instead as well.

Hope this helped!
  6. CaseyL

CaseyL

ParaFusion + Scald on Lanturn is sort of counter productive. Surf might get a few more KOs.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)