Keldeo (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Keldeo is known to be one of the best Water-types available in Gen 5 Doubles, with a very good base Speed of 108 and a great base Special Attack of 129. As such, it is commonly seen on rain teams, but its versatility allows it to function well even outside of rain. Keldeo has a shallow movepool, but it is enough to allow it to be a potent force in the Doubles metagame. Access to Icy Wind is useful for speed control in Doubles, while a powerful Fighting STAB move in Secret Sword quite makes up for it. Secret Sword's main appeal is that bulkier Pokemon usually invest in their Special Defense and are paired with Intimidate support to work around physical attackers. Secret Sword bypasses this strategy as it strikes at their weaker Defense but isn't softened by Intimidate. Thus, Keldeo can help rain teams by using its Fighting STAB move of choice to remove checks to common rain sweepers such as Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, every Fighting-type can perform this role, so Keldeo faces competition from other Fighting-types, especially from the rain-loving Toxicroak. In addition, Keldeo stacks up weaknesses to Grass- and Electric-type attacks along with Politoed, which might be problematic in teambuilding. Nonetheless, Keldeo remains a more powerful wallbreaker, especially in rain.</p>

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Secret Sword
move 3: Protect
move 4: Icy Wind / Taunt / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set permits Keldeo to switch moves and deal damage with the appropriate STAB. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB move that can punch holes in the opponent's team after being boosted by Life Orb and usually rain. Secret Sword is a great Fighting STAB move that strikes the enemy's Defense rather than their Special Defense, which nails rain checks Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Ferrothorn, and Kyurem, as well as Kyurem-B. Protect is a staple in Doubles for general scouting and defensive strategies. Life Orb and Expert Belt are the item options for this set. Life Orb gives significant boost in power but cuts 10% of Keldeo's health each time, while Expert Belt can be used if the user dislikes the recoil.</p>

<p>Icy Wind is awesome in Doubles, hitting both opponents with fair coverage and also slowing both of them down, which is helpful for a slower teammate to break walls. However, its low Base Power means that it cannot even OHKO the Landorus formes with certainty. Taunt is useful to shut down status users like Thundurus and setup sweepers, disrupting their strategy for the match. A notable example is Amoonguss, which is extremely irritating due to Spore and Rage Powder. Furthermore, Taunt is also extremely useful for shutting down Trick Room teams, which are detrimental to Keldeo's quick playstyle. Hidden Power Grass is great for shutting down Water-types and especially Gastrodon, a major threat to rain teams in general. It is also useful against Jellicent, which is a prominent counter to Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Surf can be a good option for hitting both opponents, and wrecks enemies especially in rain. However, it also attacks the partner so care must be taken to select good teammates, for example to use Protect on the turn that Surf is used or have abilities that benefit from it, such as Water Absorb or Storm Drain. Several different moves can replace Icy Wind's slot in order to suit the team's needs. Hidden Power Electric can be used to deal damage to Water-types and also take down Gyarados. Substitute can be used to help Keldeo ease prediction and block status moves. Quick Guard can be used to protect Keldeo and its partner from priority moves, notably Fake Out and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Politoed is a great teammate for rain support, allowing Hydro Pump or Surf to be extremely painful. Pokemon that are immune to Water-type attacks are extremely good partners if Keldeo is using Surf: these include Gastrodon and Toxicroak, which also happen to function well on rain teams. Gastrodon also happens to be one of the best partners for Keldeo, as Storm Drain allows it to boost its Special Attack each time it is hit by a Water-type move, allowing it to hurt enemies even more. Furthermore, it also has decent synergy with Keldeo, as it can take Electric-type moves, such as Discharge, while Keldeo resists Blizzard; both of them resist Rock Slide. Keldeo also pairs well with either of the top two Swift Swim sweepers, Kingdra and Ludicolo, as they each eliminate the other's checks. Kingdra can help eliminate Latias and Latios while Keldeo can remove Ferrothorn to assist Kingdra. Ludicolo eliminates bulky Water-types such as Gastrodon and Rotom-W while Keldeo removes Ferrothorn, Kyurem, and Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Keldeo also pairs well with Latios, as Latios deals with most of the bulky Grass-, Electric-, and Water-types that hinder Keldeo, while Keldeo threatens Tyranitar and Steel-types that can tank Latios's powerful STAB moves. Choice Scarf Tyranitar deserves a special mention as a great partner for Keldeo, despite being incompatible with rain. The two have tremendous offensive synergy, as Choice Scarf Tyranitar can outrun and take out the likes of Latios, Tornadus, Thundurus, Salamence, and Jellicent, against which Keldeo struggles.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Keldeo's shallow movepool means that it doesn't have any other coverage moves bar Hidden Power. Hidden Power Psychic can possibly be used to deal a bit of damage to Amoonguss and OHKO Toxicroak, but that will not be a good use of a moveslot. A Choice Set can be used; Choice Scarf nets some surprise kills while Choice Specs overwhelms special bulwarks, including Cresselia. Keldeo can also boost the power of its STAB moves with Calm Mind, which it can set up with Fake Out and/or Rage Powder support. Helping Hand is a great move to boost a teammate's damage output, but is better used by a bulkier teammate such as Togekiss. Keldeo can use Rain Dance to change the weather instantly without having to rely on Politoed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Keldeo hates Trick Room and Thunder Wave, so common users of these moves like Cresselia, Gyarados, and Thundurus cripple it. Slowking is a threat that lurks on many Trick Room teams, resists both of Keldeo's STABs, and can retaliate with a super effective Psychic. Amoonguss is also a common threat, and its Rage Powder can stop Keldeo from doing anything useful to Amoonguss's partner, which sets it apart from the other counters. However, this is rendered ineffective if Keldeo runs Taunt.</p>

<p>Shaymin-S is a dangerous check to Keldeo, and can be a full-blown counter if Keldeo isn't carrying Icy Wind. Kingdra and Ludicolo both outspeed Keldeo in rain due to Swift Swim and deal heavy damage to it. Keldeo's checks include faster Psychic-types such as Deoxys-A, Latios, and Latias; and Electric-types such as Thundurus formes, Rotom-W, and Zapdos, which can all hurt Keldeo pretty badly but cannot switch in safely. Jellicent is also a good counter to Keldeo, having a useful niche in being a Trick Room setter that is immune to Fake Out and strong Fighting- and Water-type moves. Celebi also shares the trait of resisting both of Keldeo's STABs, but it is not commonly seen in Doubles.</p>

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for the criticism in this check. There are plenty of good things here too, but the point in C&C checks is to improve or remove the bad stuff, so if this sounds negative that's the reason.

My most successful Doubles team (and the one I used most) featured Keldeo, and I played with it a lot during research week. As a result I feel like I can give a bit more input than normal. Here is a link, which might give you a different perspective on Keldeo: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-little-keldeo-a-smogon-doubles-rmt.3488410/

So as far as I'm concerned, Keldeo's best set is this:

- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Filler
- Protect

Now, the filler can be any of the following options: HP Grass / HP Electric / Taunt / Substitute / Icy Wind; that third slot is really dependant on the team. For me the set would probably read Icy Wind / Taunt / HP Electric, in that order, with the other options in AC. HP Grass hits Gastrodon, HP Electric hits Gyarados, Taunt shuts down Amoonguss, and all three are somewhat effective on Jellicent and Slowking. I think Life Orb is generally better because it does way more to neutral targets, particularly 2HKOing Gastrodon and OHKOing Garchomp. If you run Icy Wind then Life Orb also gives you a better chance to OHKO Salamence. The reason I would pick Hydro Pump over Surf is because Surf isn't that strong outside rain, and inside rain I'd rather use Kingdra due to Swift Swim and Muddy Water. I guess Surf can be a secondary slash. Celebi is really rare, and Latios outruns and destroys you anyway, so I wouldn't mention HP Bug.

Overview:
- Emphasise that Keldeo's niche over Swift Swimmers is its higher SpA, and not being so rain-dependant.
- Secret Sword's main appeal is that many teams' bulkier Pokemon invest in their special defense, with Intimidate support being used to work around physical attackers. Secret Sword bypasses this strategy as it strikes at the weaker defense but isn't softened by Intimidate.
- Drop mention of the pink blobs, who have little use in Doubles.
- Also tone down mention of rain - Keldeo's lack of rain dependence is its USP.
- Nonetheless, Keldeo can help rain teams by using Fighting STAB to remove Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Ferrothorn etc, that cockblock rain sweepers. But every Fighting-type does this, so competition from other Fighting-types, esp Toxicroak who also loves rain.

Set Comments:
- Forget the bit about bluffing a Choice Item. Choice items are sufficiently rare that when an opponent sees a lack of Life Orb recoil, he will probably anticipate a Gem or a type-resist Berry, not Scarf or Specs. Expert Belt and Life Orb don't really play differently.
- Abomasnow, Ferrothorn and the Kyurems are other significant targets of Secret Sword.
- The Landorus formes aren't OHKOed by Icy Wind. Remember to tick the Doubles/Triples box in Honko when doing damage calcs for spread moves.

AC:
- Remove mentions of Vaporeon and Discharge; neither are very good in doubles.
- Personal bias but I think that Scarf Tyranitar makes an awesome teammate (just like in OU!) See my RMT for details.

OO:
- Fine, also add whatever filler options listed above do not make the final set. Specs and Scarf probably belong here too. HP Bug could go here, as well as maybe HP Psychic to do something to Amoonguss (but not that much) and OHKO Toxicroak. Helping Hand, Safeguard.

C&C:
- Mention particuarly Amoonguss's Rage Powder, as it stops Keldeo doing anything useful to Amoonguss's partner, something other counters can't do, and is the main thing that makes Taunt a genuine option for Keldeo (though disrupting Cresselia, Gyarados and Jellicent is certainly nice).
- Jellicent isn't that rare; certainly more common than Celebi.
- For Psychic-types, drop mentions of Alakazam and Starmie, and add Deoxys-A. This isn't OU.
- Thundurus-I deserves a mention under Electric types, as does Zapdos.
- Definitely include Shaymin-S as a check, and a full-blown counter if Keldeo isn't carrying Icy Wind.
- Kingdra & Ludicolo outspeed and destroy in rain.
- Keldeo hates Trick Room and Thunder Wave, so common users of these moves like Cresselia and Gyarados wreck it.

General points:
- This reads very much like an OU analysis (in fact I did have to double-check just to make sure I wasn't in OU C&C by mistake), with several mentions of common OU Pokemon which aren't great in Doubles, and several omissions of Pokemon banned from OU but legal in Doubles, as well as singles concepts like "bluffing a Choice item".
- Don't use singles jargon - terms like "wall", "sweeper" and "wallbreaker" should be avoided. Stick to "attacker" and "supporter", which it seems are the only two classes of Pokemon in Doubles.

Last edited:
Okay slight correction - Life Orb Icy wind does in fact OHKO 0/0 Landorus(-T) with a 25% chance; however, many carry Yache Berry or Focus Sash anyway. My bad sorry.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
· At the beginning of OO, mention that Keldeo doesn't really have any other coverage moves bar Hidden Power.
· Remove Swords Dance from OO
· In C&C, I don't think you should refer to Jellicent as being rare, since it actually isn't rare (at least not nearly as rare as Celebi)
· I don't like Surf as a main slash; I'd suggest you mention it in AC and explain that it is only if you have a teammate or 2 benefitting from the move (Water Absorb, Absorb Bulb, etc)

This, in addition to noobcubed's awesome check, should be enough to warrant QC 1/3

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm hesitant about you writing this up, since noobcubed had to basically re-write the analysis for you. however, you did do a good job fleshing out Togekiss, so just find me on irc if you want any help with putting it in prose, I guess.

-mention in the overview that a minus of keldeo is it stacks weaknesses with toed unlike ludicolo and kingdra
-I dont know about surf, really. surf kinda sux. If other QC say to keep it, at least change the bullet point where you discuss it—absorb bulb is definitely a gimmick, just pick bulky pokemon that resist rain or lots of pokemon with protect if you're going to be a stupid and run surf keld.
-related to the above, hydro pump is your first choice because surf sux, not necessarily because it has extra power.
-80% of taunt's usefulness is in beating TR since you're obviously running fastmode rain; this going unmentioned is criminal.
-mention jellicent when discussing HP elec
-irdk about having gastro keld and toed on one team it sounds like you really enjoy being shit on by grass types?
-scarf jellicent????? taking out jellicent is an important boon of ttar but scarf? ive legit never seen that lol
-"Sweepers that do well against weakened teams, such as Thundurus-T, Terrakion, and Zapdos make for great teammates, as Keldeo excels in breaking down the opponent's team." this bullet point sounds like it was copied from the ou analysis because it legitimately makes no sense, just scrap it imo
-idk if id make a choice set sound so negative in the oo, a specs keld could really just trash things that think they can take a hit; if you give it the right support that could be deadly. id test more and ask you to write it up if xy didnt come out three months ago lol
-slowking doesn't lurk on very many TR teams in gen v; jellicent does tho
-how could you forget thundurus when mentioning paralysis? also how could you forget it when mentioning faster pokemon
-mention that most scarfed things can deal with keldeo in a pinch

fix these up, i'll run one last check and stamp you

Stratos

Banned deucer.
this looks pretty good, except for that you're still digging choice which i think could be viable. as i said, i might be asking to put it in the writeup if xy weren't making me want to just get these shits up ASAP. Other than that, move Surf to OO (AC at BEST), and then write it up.

QC 2/3

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Metal Sonic

Overall: Jellicent is not uncommon, so stop saying that. It has a useful niche in being a TR set up sweeper that is immune to Fake Out and strong Fighting- and Water-type offense.

Set:

Not a big fan of HP Electric, since it doesn't do major damage to anything other than Gyarados (akin to HP Psychic only being useful for Toxicroak), and you're better off just leaving its partner to deal with bulky Water-types like Jellicent and Slowking. If anything HP Grass makes more sense, since Gastrodon is a legit threat to Hydro Pump spammage / rain teams in general.

Swap the 3rd and 4th moveslots. Protect is usually more important than those ancillary moves. Like this:
move 4: Icy Wind / Taunt / Hidden Power [Grass]

Set Comments: Move the item descriptions of Life Orb / Expert Belt later in the section, not at the opening. Replace all the HP Electric stuff with HP Grass stuff.

Additional Comments:

Mention that it pairs well with either of the top 2 Swift Swimmers, as they each eliminate the other's checks. Kingdra eliminates Latios / Latias while Keldeo removes Ferrothorn for instance. Ludicolo eliminates bulky Water-types like Grastrodon and Rotom-W while Keldeo removes Ferrothorn and Kyurem(-B), etc.

Also mention that Keldeo pairs well with Latios, too. Latios deals with most of the Grass- Electric- and bulky Water-types that hinder Keldeo while Keldeo threatens Tyranitar and Steel-types that can tank Latios's powerful STAB moves.

Add Quick Guard as a possible alternative in the last slot (Icy Wind / Taunt / HP Grass). This protects Keldeo and its partner from priority moves, notably Fake Out and Sucker Punch.

Other Options:

<p>Keldeo's shallow movepool means that it doesn't have any other coverage moves bar Hidden Power. Hidden Power Bug might seem appealing to take down Psychic-types such as Latias, Latios and Celebi, but they will outspeed and kill anyway and Celebi is not common in the Doubles metagame. Hidden Power Psychic can possibly be used to deal a bit of damage to Amoonguss and OHKO Toxicroak, but that will not be a good use of a moveslot. A Choice Set can be used; Choice Scarf nets some surprise kills while Choice Specs overwhelms special bulwarks including Cresselia. but it is not so useful in the Doubles metagame. Keldeo can also boost its STAB offense with Calm Mind, which it can set up with Fake Out and Rage Powder support. Keldeo has access to a great boosting move in Calm Mind, but will not find time to set up in this fast paced metagame. Helping Hand is a great move to boost the damage of a teammate, but is better used by a bulkier teammate such as Togekiss. Keldeo can use Rain Dance to change the weather instantly without having to rely on Politoed, however Drizzle rain is permanent and can be done instantly.</p>

Not every OO moves require a reason not to use them x___x;; in fact if they are not viable options, they should not be listed. I rephrased some of the sentences for you.

Checks & Counters: again, stop lumping Jellicent into the same category as Celebi.

Plz make these changes, so hopefully this analysis can be stamped.

Metal Sonic
add
remove
comments

[Overview]
<p>Keldeo is known to be one of the best Water-types available for in Gen 5 V Doubles, with a very good base Speed of 108 and a great base Special Attack of 129. As such, it is commonly seen on rain teams; however, its versatility allows it to function well even outside of rain. Keldeo has a shallow movepool, but it is enough to allow it to be a potent force in the Doubles metagame. Access to Icy Wind is useful for speed control in Doubles, while a powerful Fighting STAB move in Secret Sword quite makes up for it. Secret Sword's main appeal in is that many teams' bulkier Pokemon invest in their Special Defense, and paired with Intimidate support being used to work around physical attackers. Secret Sword bypasses this strategy as it strikes at the their weaker Defense but isn't softened by Intimidate. Thus, Keldeo can help rain teams by using its Fighting STAB move of choice to remove checks of to common rain sweepers like such as Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, every Fighting-type can perform this role, so there is Keldeo faces competition from other Fighting-types, especially from the rain-loving Toxicroak(remove space). In addition, Keldeo stacks up weaknesses to Grass- and Electric-type attacks along with Politoed, which may might be problematic in teambuilding. Nonetheless, Keldeo remains a powerful wallbreaker, especially in rain, and should definitely be considered when making a Doubles rain team.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Icy Wind / Taunt / Hidden Power [Grass] Grass

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set permits Keldeo to switch moves (a comparison with choice sets isn't really valid here...) and deal damage with the appropriate STAB, with Hydro Pump working exceptionally well on rain teams. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB move, and when backed up by Keldeo's great Special Attack and possibly by rain, can punch holes in the opponent's team. Secret Sword is a great Fighting STAB move that strikes the enemy's Defense rather than their Special Defense, which nails rain checks Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Ferrothorn and the Kyurems Kyurem as well as Kyurem-B. Protect is a staple in Doubles Pokemon for general scouting and defensive strategies (i don't think you should generalize this much, please expand on this). Life Orb and Expert Belt are the item options for this set:(change to period) Life Orb gives significant boost in power but cuts 10% of Keldeo's health each time, while Expert Belt can be used if the user dislikes the recoil.</p>

<p>Icy Wind is awesome in Doubles, hitting both opponents with fair Ice-type damage coverage and also slowing both of them down, which is helpful for a slower teammate to break walls. However, its low Base Power means that it cannot even OHKO the Landorus formes with certainty. Taunt is useful to shut down status abusers users (thundurus?) and setup sweepers, disrupting their strategy for the match. A notable example is Amoonguss,(AC) which is extremely irritating with its due to Spore and Rage Powder. Furthermore, Taunt is also extremely useful for shutting down Trick Room teams, which is are detrimental to the Keldeo's fast playstyle. Hidden Power Grass is great for shutting down Water-types and especially Gastrodon which is ,(AC) a major threat to rain teams in general. It is also useful against Jellicent, which is a prominent counter to Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Surf can be a good option for nuking both opponents, and wrecks enemies especially in rain. However, it also attacks the partner so care must be taken to select good teammates, for example to use Protect on the turn that Surf is used or have beneficial abilities that benefit from it such as Water Absorb or Storm Drain. Several different moves can replace Icy Wind's slot in order to suit the team's needs. Hidden Power Electric can be used to deal damage to Water-types and also take down Gyarados. Substitute can be used to help Keldeo ease prediction and block status moves. Quick Guard can be used to protect Keldeo and its partner from priority moves, notably Fake Out and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Politoed is a possible teammate for rain support, allowing Hydro Pump or Surf to be extremely painful. Pokemon that are immune to Water-type attacks are extremely good partners if Keldeo is using Surf,(change to semicolon) these include Gastrodon and Toxicroak, which also happen to function well on rain teams. Gastrodon also happens to be one of the best partners for Keldeo, as Storm Drain allows it to boost its Special Attack each time it is hit by a Water-type move, allowing it to hurt enemies even more. Furthermore, it also has decent synergy with Keldeo in taking , as it can take Electric-type moves, such as Discharge, while Keldeo remains resistant to resists Blizzard; and both of them resist Rock Slide. Keldeo also pairs well with either of the top two Swift Swimmers Swim sweepers, Kingdra and Ludicolo, as they each eliminate the other's checks. Kingdra can help eliminate Latias and Latios while Keldeo can remove Ferrothorn to assist Kingdra. Meanwhile, Ludicolo eliminates bulky Water-types like such as Gastrodon and Rotom-W while Keldeo removes Ferrothorn, Kyurem,(AC) and Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Keldeo also pairs well with Latios, as Latios deals with most of the Grass-, Electric-,(AC) and bulky Water-types that hinder Keldeo,(AC) while Keldeo threatens Tyranitar and Steel-types that can tank Latios's powerful STAB moves. Choice Scarf Tyranitar deserves a special mention as a great partner for Keldeo;(change to comma) despite being incompatible with rain. The two have tremendous offensive synergy, as Choice Scarf Tyranitar can outrun and take out the likes of Latios, Tornadus, Thundurus, Salamence,(AC) and Jellicent (to name a few), against which Keldeo struggles.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Keldeo's shallow movepool means that it doesn't have any other coverage moves bar Hidden Power. Hidden Power Psychic can possibly be used to deal a bit of damage to Amoonguss and OHKO Toxicroak, but that will not be a good use of a moveslot. A Choice Set Choiced set can be used; Choice Scarf nets some surprise kills,(AC) while Choice Specs overwhelms special bulwarks,(AC) including Cresselia. Keldeo can also boost the power of its STAB offense moves with Calm Mind, which it can set up with Fake Out and (both or one? you can also use 'and/or') Rage Powder support. Helping Hand is a great move to boost the damage of a teammate's damage output, but is better used by a bulkier teammate such as Togekiss. Keldeo can use Rain Dance to change the weather instantly without having to rely on Politoed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Keldeo hates Trick Room and Thunder Wave, so common users of these moves like Cresselia, Gyarados,(AC) and Thundurus wreck it. Slowking is a threat that lurks on many Trick Room teams, resisting both of Keldeo's STABs but , and can retaliate with a super effective Psychic. Amoonguss is also a common threat, and its Rage Powder can stop Keldeo from doing anything useful to Amoonguss's partner, which sets it apart from the other counters. However, this ability is negated is rendered ineffective if Keldeo runs Taunt.</p>

<p>Shaymin-S is a dangerous check to Keldeo, and can be a full-blown counter if Keldeo isn't carrying Icy Wind. Kingdra and Ludicolo both outspeed Keldeo in rain due to Swift Swim, and deal heavy damage to it. Keldeo's checks include faster Psychic-types such as Deoxys-A, Latios, and Latias, and Electric-(AH)types such as Thundurus formes, Rotom-W,(AC) and Zapdos, which can all hurt Keldeo pretty bad badly but cannot switch in safely. Jellicent is also a good counter to Keldeo, having a useful niche in being a Trick Room set up sweeper setter that is immune to Fake Out and strong Fighting- and Water-type offense moves. Celebi also shares the trait of resisting both of Keldeo's STABS STABs, but it is not commonly seen in Doubles.</p>

A few serial commas were missed here and there
Some capitalizations like 'Set' and 'Rain' were out of place
'Offense' is used to describe the playstyle, and you used it wrongly.
anywho, 1/2

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Metal Sonic

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Keldeo is known to be one of the best Water-types available in Gen 5 V Doubles, with a very good base Speed of 108 and a great base Special Attack of 129. As such, it is commonly seen on rain teams, but ; however, its versatility allows it to function well even outside of rain. Keldeo has a shallow movepool, but it is enough to allow it to be a potent force in the Doubles metagame. Access to Icy Wind is useful for speed control in Doubles, while a powerful Fighting STAB move in Secret Sword quite makes up for it. Secret Sword's main appeal is that bulkier Pokemon usually invest in their Special Defense, (RC) and are paired with Intimidate support to work around physical attackers. Secret Sword bypasses this strategy as it strikes at their weaker Defense but isn't softened by Intimidate. Thus, Keldeo can help rain teams by using its Fighting STAB move of choice to remove checks to common rain sweepers such as Tyranitar, Abomasnow, (AC) and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, every Fighting-type can perform this role, so Keldeo faces competition from other Fighting-types, especially from the rain-loving Toxicroak. In addition, Keldeo stacks up weaknesses to Grass- and Electric-type attacks along with Politoed, which might be problematic in teambuilding. Nonetheless, Keldeo remains a more powerful wallbreaker, especially in rain, and should definitely be considered when making a rain team.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Icy Wind / Taunt / Hidden Power Grass

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set permits Keldeo to switch moves and deal damage with the appropriate STAB, with Hydro Pump working exceptionally well on rain teams. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB move, and when backed up by Keldeo's great Special Attack and possibly rain, that can punch holes in the opponent's team after being boosted by Life Orb and usually rain. Secret Sword is a great Fighting STAB move that strikes the enemy's Defense rather than their Special Defense, which nails rain checks Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Kyurem, (AC) as well as Kyurem-B. Protect is a staple in Doubles Pokemon for general scouting and defensive strategies. Life Orb and Expert Belt are the item options for this set. Life Orb gives significant boost in power but cuts 10% of Keldeo's health each time, while Expert Belt can be used if the user dislikes the recoil.</p>

<p>Icy Wind is awesome in Doubles, hitting both opponents with fair coverage and also slowing both of them down, which is helpful for a slower teammate to break walls. However, its low Base Power means that it cannot even OHKO the Landorus formes with certainty. Taunt is useful to shut down status users like Thundurus and setup sweepers, disrupting their strategy for the match. A notable example is Amoonguss, which is extremely irritating due to Spore and Rage Powder. Furthermore, Taunt is also extremely useful for shutting down Trick Room teams, which are detrimental to the Keldeo's fast quick playstyle. Hidden Power Grass is great for shutting down Water-types and especially Gastrodon, a major threat to rain teams in general. It is also useful against Jellicent, which is a prominent counter to Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Surf can be a good option for nuking hitting both opponents, and wrecks enemies especially in rain. However, it also attacks the partner so care must be taken to select good teammates, for example to use Protect on the turn that Surf is used or have abilities that benefit from it, (AC) such as Water Absorb or Storm Drain. Several different moves can replace Icy Wind's slot in order to suit the team's needs. Hidden Power Electric can be used to deal damage to Water-types and also take down Gyarados. Substitute can be used to help Keldeo ease prediction and block status moves. Quick Guard can be used to protect Keldeo and its partner from priority moves, notably Fake Out and Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Politoed is a possible great teammate for rain support, allowing Hydro Pump or Surf to be extremely painful. Pokemon that are immune to Water-type attacks are extremely good partners if Keldeo is using Surf: these include Gastrodon and Toxicroak, which also happen to function well on rain teams. Gastrodon also happens to be one of the best partners for Keldeo, as Storm Drain allows it to boost its Special Attack each time it is hit by a Water-type move, allowing it to hurt enemies even more. Furthermore, it also has decent synergy with Keldeo, as it can take Electric-type moves, such as Discharge, while Keldeo resists Blizzard; both of them resist Rock Slide. Keldeo also pairs well with either of the top two Swift Swim sweepers, Kingdra and Ludicolo, as they each eliminate the other's checks. Kingdra can help eliminate Latias and Latios while Keldeo can remove Ferrothorn to assist Kingdra. Ludicolo eliminates bulky Water-types such as Gastrodon and Rotom-W while Keldeo removes Ferrothorn, Kyurem, and Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Keldeo also pairs well with Latios, as Latios deals with most of the bulky Grass-, Electric-, and bulky Water-types that hinder Keldeo, while Keldeo threatens Tyranitar and Steel-types that can tank Latios's powerful STAB moves. Choice Scarf Tyranitar deserves a special mention as a great partner for Keldeo, despite being incompatible with rain. The two have tremendous offensive synergy, as Choice Scarf Tyranitar can outrun and take out the likes of Latios, Tornadus, Thundurus, Salamence, and Jellicent (to name a few), against which Keldeo struggles.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Keldeo's shallow movepool means that it doesn't have any other coverage moves bar Hidden Power. Hidden Power Psychic can possibly be used to deal a bit of damage to Amoonguss and OHKO Toxicroak, but that will not be a good use of a moveslot. A Choiced Set can be used; Choice Scarf nets some surprise kills, (RC) while Choice Specs overwhelms special bulwarks, including Cresselia. Keldeo can also boost the power of its STAB moves with Calm Mind, which it can set up with Fake Out and/or Rage Powder support. Helping Hand is a great move to boost a teammate's damage output, but is better used by a bulkier teammate such as Togekiss. Keldeo can use Rain Dance to change the weather instantly without having to rely on Politoed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Keldeo hates Trick Room and Thunder Wave, so common users of these moves like Cresselia, Gyarados, and Thundurus cripple wreck it. Slowking is a threat that lurks on many Trick Room teams, resists ing both of Keldeo's STABs, and can retaliate with a super effective Psychic. Amoonguss is also a common threat, and its Rage Powder can stop Keldeo from doing anything useful to Amoonguss's partner, which sets it apart from the other counters. However, this is rendered ineffective if Keldeo runs Taunt.</p>

<p>Shaymin-S is a dangerous check to Keldeo, and can be a full-blown counter if Keldeo isn't carrying Icy Wind. Kingdra and Ludicolo both outspeed Keldeo in rain due to Swift Swim, (RC) and deal heavy damage to it. Keldeo's checks include faster Psychic-types such as Deoxys-A, Latios, and Latias; and Electric-types such as Thundurus formes, Rotom-W, and Zapdos, which can all hurt Keldeo pretty badly but cannot switch in safely. Jellicent is also a good counter to Keldeo, having a useful niche in being a Trick Room setter that is immune to Fake Out and strong Fighting- and Water-type moves. Celebi also shares the trait of resisting both of Keldeo's STABs, but it is not commonly seen in Doubles.</p>

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)