Other Metagames kgkliijhukgjcxfhjk and Friends: A Mono-Ground meme-fest (Peaked #9)

This team has been a labour of love, since I got back into Pokemon a few months ago, Monotype appealed to me from the start, allowing me to use my favourite type, Ground, from the start. As I marched on, I learned many things. Excadrill isn't banned in Gen 6 and I don't have to use Sandslash. Dugtrio, my fav, is terribad. Landorus isn't banned so I don't have to use Nidoking. I managed to be more competitive than I had ever been since my old days on Pokemon Online gen 4 OU. I physically cannot make a team without a suicide lead now, so Golem replaces Mamoswine and does quite well with my team.

This is a hyper-offensive team, like most Ground teams should be, the priority is to keep up pressure on the opponent with every mon, to keep Stealth Rock up, and like any Ground team, break walls.

The names are ostensibly keyboard smashes, but I really tried super hard on the names and the real reason the names are like that is because I'm sponsored and they wanted names like that. I don't argue with cash and neither should any of you.

bgv hjgu980ijhb (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Mixed Landorus went oddly well on this team, I heard Knock Off was a good move in Gen 6 and after I got walled by Normal once, I settled on sacrificing Focus Blast and going mixed instead of using Mamoswine. It's what an average lando does, break walls with Earth Power and destroy things that resist it with Sludge Wave. HP Ice is there thanks to my self-imposed "1 random hp ice or random hp fire per team at least" rule, and it helps in the Dragon matchup, which I love to hate just like the rest of you. HP Ice also does a respectable 30ish% to Skarmory which can come in clutch if Skar thinks he's safe. Besides being this team's only chance against Normal, Knock Off is a good "safe option" to use against a slower low-health Psychic or Ghost, despite the orb recoil. It also throws Assault Vest Meloetta for a surprise. I love speed-creeping, so max speed is required, and I need it to fulfill the actual functions of a Landorus, so max Special Attack is required.

hbhiuojknb jikn b (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

The first true meme set, Bandchomp destroys everything that is usually a reasonable Chomp check and can get surprise picks on some opposing win conditions.

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 310-366 (80.9 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (i.e. you can switch in hippo and they cant do shit to your weather because toed dies to rocks)
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 202-238 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 292-345 (72.2 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Hopefully picks some juicy mon due to the "What the ****" factor, but if it's known, it puts pressure on the opponent to find some answer to it. Dragon Claw is there as a non-committal move, a resisted outrage does almost as much as Stone Edge and there is much less anxiety in using it. Fire Blast is there for Skarmory and maybe a 60-70% health Ferrothorn. Yes, Fire Fang does less than Fire Blast to Skarmory even with band.

uhiboijjuhb (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

No Ground mono is complete without a Water counter, and Seismitoad is it. Seismitoad can uniquely beat Azumarill (the speed is to creep max speed adamant azu. if they go deep enough to cteam me with jolly azu, they deserve to win) and can also lay rocks, which I thought Quag could do but I guess not. I eschewed Grass Knot's coverage because I can either just Sludge Wave or go for a Scald Burn on whatever Grass Knot hits. It only really hits opposing Water counters in Ground dittos, which is often a crapshoot since its often another Seismitoad with Grass Knot. Rocks are there because Golem isn't always as reliable as I'd like it to be, and people often don't expect double rocks, then expect triple rocks on Hippo. Ultimate mind games that are now useless since I posted this team in plain sight as opposed to PMing random people it on request. This is also my best Skarmory counter when I don't feel like going for hard reads with Band Fire Blast.

kgkliijhukgjcxfhjk (Golem) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

The star of the show. The one and only. The reason Golem is at 7.66% usage is because of this team. I lead with him 99% of the time, not really against Fighting with Breloom because of the obvious Bullet Seeding, so I lead with Garchomp instead. (Landorus can get Keldeo'd in lead). The strats with this are often self-eplanatory, lay rocks and blow up. There are occasions where you do not want to blow up in Custap or when you don't want to lay rocks immediately. Fire Punch Skarmories immediately to scout for items, Fire Punch Ferrothorns to show them who's the real suicide lead in this battle, Earthquake slower mons weak to Earthquake immediately that don't seem like they have sashes/Sturdy, lay rocks when you feel like it in these situations, it's often just intuition I go off of about when to lay rocks. There's no real rhyme or reason to it, I'm not sure how to tell someone to use it. When the opponent obviously has priority, lay rocks then switch to whatever resists the priority and save the Golem in Custap for a rainy day. The EVs are there to speed creep mons that speed creep uninvested base 70's, and can also survive a +0 lead Cloyster's Icicle Spear about 70% of the time, that chance being that none of them crit. Explode immediately against Azumarill. Explode immediately against any setup sweeper that seems like it can hurt your team that Earthquake doesn't already kill. Explode immediately against Whimsicott, you don't want to deal with that shit. Explode immediately against Cloyster if it lives an Icicle Spear. Explode against Balloontran, picking off the Balloon is actually pretty important and puts more pressure on keeping Skarmory up. I'm sure there are other things to explode against and use specific moves on, but there are hundreds tens of threatening pokemon in mono, and I don't remember all of them.

gvhbjohbvghuhu8ijh (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Generic Hippo for the most part, Crunch is there to hit Balloontran on switches, hit Lati@s on switches, get some of that $$$ defense drop hax for which I feel no shame, and also it checks every variant of Gengar, since sand breaks Sashes. Otherwise self-explanatory, Earthquake things that don't resist it and don't threaten you, Slack Off when your health gets a little low, Whirlwind to take nasty meanies out of the battle.

cleansed (Excadrill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

The other meme that throws people for a loop, Assault Vest Excadrill walls things that Seismitoad is too weak to handle (read: anything with Energy Ball). It beats Thundurus and Thundurus-T without Superpower, Latios unless it's a meme physical set or a more likely Specs Surf. This can take a Scarf Keldeo's Scald as well, that is, it has a 70% chance of beating Scarf Keldeo. Best move in the game.
The only thing I truly miss from orb is the ability to 2HKO Mega Scizor and the ability to do enough damage to kill Keldeo at a realistic health in sand, which both pain me endlessly.

Threats:

Knowing about Custap Golem is a fantastic way to not get your win condition killed by Golem, but when Golem is used well, it can be a threat to even knowledgeable players with good teams. I wouldn't outright say knowledge is a counterplay to this team, but god damn if it doesn't help.

This destroys Ground Monos, and this mono is no exception. It's not completely unanswerable, Garchomp can take a SubCM set's +1 Scald and do about 90% to Keldeo with Earthquake. You can also Outrage for an 87.5% OHKO, though I don't recommend it against Water monos with Azumarill still up. Excadrill can survive a Scarf Keldeo Scald and retaliate, it can also outspeed it in sand and do a cool 69% to it. It's a massive threat, though. Seismitoad can spam Earth Power at it, but it barely does shit to it and only scares Choicers away. You often end up using it as a gauge of how much Icy Wind does to see if it's Scarf or Specs. Specs is hell and you won't beat it unless the other guy is playing awfully or you get a lucky EQrit with Excadrill. Oh well, bad matchups going how bad matchups go.

High ladder teams doing what high ladder teams do best: lose to easy matchups. Mega Scizor haunts this team, and has caused many people to say "how the fuck do you lose to steel as ground". scpinion's HO Steel is a nightmare.

HO Grass is hell. You either have to have Lando OHKO everything on their team in preparation for Serperior to possibly wreck you. Serp can't OHKO lando or excadrill (hope I don't need the calc for Exca)

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 257-304 (80.5 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If Serperior sets up Leaf Storm, you still have a 28% chance to win (flinch or leaf storm miss since giga drain doesn't kill [+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 211-250 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]) by sacing Hippowdon and Iron Heading with Excadrill. The problem is that good people will switch out. The good part is that good people have hopefully figured out by now that Hyper Offensive Grass is terribad against every type except for Ground and maybe some other types I don't play.

MegaGyara can destroy this team, he gets a DD, GG. I hold back Chomp Earthquake specifically so it doesn't have the chance to Dragon Dance and sweep. Actually, Water monos in general. Ludicolo also fucks this team hard, so do like 50% of Scarf Waters. But what I see the most is MegaGyara.

This team is terribad at Ground dittos, and it's all thanks to this fat piece of mammoth. Once it's taken down, this team does fine at them, but if Mamoswine predicts a Seismitoad switch-in with Icicle Crash, youre going to have a bad time.

Also, everything above base 102 speed will give you a headache, as Excadrill is the only thing that can outspeed it Things that Excadrill cannot OHKO will give you a double headache. Mega Pinsir, Starmie, and Weavile are all headaches. Also, any scarf as fast or faster than Boufflant outspeeds all the mons but Exca in sand. Mega Diancie can stall sand with Protect, so for that reason Rock is a headache which I frequently lose.

I made this team on my own, I can credit some random person in Alliance for saying "why don't you have fire blast, fire fang does less to skar" when my nooby ass was using Fire Fang on Skar and some random person on ladder showing me that Lando and Excadrill aren't banned by example.

This team works the finest on mid-ladder, low ladder leaves me getting memed on, as well as not being able to punish people giving you free setup turns since this team has no setup moves, and high ladderers often know my plays. It only adds Yomi levels, but that also makes this team inconsistent as hell with the big, bad Psychic and Flying mains on high ladder, this team isn't awful against the types themselves, but prepare to try to git gud if you want to use this team to beat them. I believe in you!

bgv hjgu980ijhb (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

hbhiuojknb jikn b (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

uhiboijjuhb (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

kgkliijhukgjcxfhjk (Golem) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

gvhbjohbvghuhu8ijh (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

cleansed (Excadrill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
So, I feel like dual Stealth Rock setters isn't helping your team out that much, and neither is Golem. You're basically using a suicide team on a type that's mostly bulky, when you can easily just set up rocks with Hippowdon or something useful. First off, I'd suggest Mega Camerupt > Golem. Even though it's the star of your team, it's purpose is basically just foddering itself when you can actually fit in a Pokemon that can help take on opposing teams, especially Grass and Mega Scizor, two of your main weaknesses.

After this, I'd suggest Gravity > Knock Off on Landorus-I. Although it makes you a bit more weak to Chansey and other Eviolite bulk mons, Gravity allows you to consistently spam Ground moves without much harm, and gives you a better matchup against Flying-type teams and Electric teams with a lot of Levitate users. On the same note of set changes, I'd suggest Life Orb > Assault Vest on Excadrill, which can allow it to be a stronger force under sand and a better wallbreaker.

Lastly, I'd suggest Stealth Rock > Crunch on Hippowdon, and Grass Knot > Stealth Rock and Assault Vest > Leftovers on Seismitoad. Giving Seismitoad Grass Knot and Assault Vest can help a lot against Water matchups, and giving Hippowdon Stealth Rock fits better with your team in the long run.

If you don't want to get rid of Golem, that's fine, but the main change you need to think about is Gravity on Landorus-I. The changes on the Defensive Pokemon are probably for the best as well.

>

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gravity > Knock Off
Life Orb > Assault Vest
Stealth Rock > Crunch
Grass Knot > Stealth Rock; Assault Vest > Leftovers

So, I feel like dual Stealth Rock setters isn't helping your team out that much, and neither is Golem. You're basically using a suicide team on a type that's mostly bulky, when you can easily just set up rocks with Hippowdon or something useful. First off, I'd suggest Mega Camerupt > Golem. Even though it's the star of your team, it's purpose is basically just foddering itself when you can actually fit in a Pokemon that can help take on opposing teams, especially Grass and Mega Scizor, two of your main weaknesses.

After this, I'd suggest Gravity > Knock Off on Landorus-I. Although it makes you a bit more weak to Chansey and other Eviolite bulk mons, Gravity allows you to consistently spam Ground moves without much harm, and gives you a better matchup against Flying-type teams and Electric teams with a lot of Levitate users. On the same note of set changes, I'd suggest Life Orb > Assault Vest on Excadrill, which can allow it to be a stronger force under sand and a better wallbreaker.

Lastly, I'd suggest Stealth Rock > Crunch on Hippowdon, and Grass Knot > Stealth Rock and Assault Vest > Leftovers on Seismitoad. Giving Seismitoad Grass Knot and Assault Vest can help a lot against Water matchups, and giving Hippowdon Stealth Rock fits better with your team in the long run.

If you don't want to get rid of Golem, that's fine, but the main change you need to think about is Gravity on Landorus-I. The changes on the Defensive Pokemon are probably for the best as well.

>

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gravity > Knock Off
Life Orb > Assault Vest
Stealth Rock > Crunch
Grass Knot > Stealth Rock; Assault Vest > Leftovers
This is a nitpick, but Megarupt can't actually beat Serperior with a Leaf storm under its belt, the only thing this team truly dreads that Grass packs (it can do work to loom after something's sleep claused, so that's valid, and it can also kill ferro, which makes the matchup slightly better), only not allow it to set up Leaf Storm, which Lando (and full health Golem) already does.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Mega Camerupt: 368-434 (113.9 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Megarupt does beat Megasciz, though. The big concern I have is that that's taking yet another (gimmicky, but still existent) way to beat >102 Base Speeders. Not letting go of the ball of rock, but thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about Gravity for a while, and decided against it, but I should actually try to come back to it. It doesn't help too intensely in Flying except for picking Skar, but it's always better to not endure the humiliation of losing to Tesla as Ground. The Life Orb decision for Excadrill and the Seismitoad change go hand-in-hand obviously, Seismitoad being the dedicated tank rather than Seismitoad and Excadrill being jacks of all trades. I'm a bit concerned about having zero knock off on this team, considering that Chansey and the bigger threat Porygon-2 are lurking about, and imagine that I'm backing away nervously at a life insurance salesman's pitch about how I should hit Megagyara with Grass Knot and not struggling with Sludge Wave. I'm using Knock Off instead of Grass Knot on Seismitoad over Stealth Rock, and an Assault Vest now that I can. I'm running double rocks with hippo and golem because #rockslyfe

also this is all my personal feelings on it and i still got this team that i'm more confident with, these changes may make it garbage. i'm going to make a few testing alts with the changes, but imma use the original in serious competitions for now. imma still call grav lando a meme set to piss people in the mono room off tho.

This is a nitpick, but Megarupt can't actually beat Serperior with a Leaf storm under its belt, the only thing this team truly dreads that Grass packs (it can do work to loom after something's sleep claused, so that's valid, and it can also kill ferro, which makes the matchup slightly better), only not allow it to set up Leaf Storm, which Lando (and full health Golem) already does.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Mega Camerupt: 368-434 (113.9 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Megarupt does beat Megasciz, though. The big concern I have is that that's taking yet another (gimmicky, but still existent) way to beat >102 Base Speeders. Not letting go of the ball of rock, but thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about Gravity for a while, and decided against it, but I should actually try to come back to it. It doesn't help too intensely in Flying except for picking Skar, but it's always better to not endure the humiliation of losing to Tesla as Ground. The Life Orb decision for Excadrill and the Seismitoad change go hand-in-hand obviously, Seismitoad being the dedicated tank rather than Seismitoad and Excadrill being jacks of all trades. I'm a bit concerned about having zero knock off on this team, considering that Chansey and the bigger threat Porygon-2 are lurking about, and imagine that I'm backing away nervously at a life insurance salesman's pitch about how I should hit Megagyara with Grass Knot and not struggling with Sludge Wave. I'm using Knock Off instead of Grass Knot on Seismitoad over Stealth Rock, and an Assault Vest now that I can. I'm running double rocks with hippo and golem because #rockslyfe

also this is all my personal feelings on it and i still got this team that i'm more confident with, these changes may make it garbage. i'm going to make a few testing alts with the changes, but imma use the original in serious competitions for now. imma still call grav lando a meme set to piss people in the mono room off tho.
I agree with all of Twix's suggestions (may wanna consider WoW over HP Grass on MegaRupt tho), those could really improve your team quite a bit, and still keep that cool ungeneric vibe. If you run a scarfer along with Excadrill (thats what I do), you should have no problem with base 102 mons and up. For that I actually wanna suggest Kroododile, since after a moxie boost it's a pretty potent sweeper, and it puts work in against psychic that's pretty common rn. As for who to replace, I think maybe over Garchomp, but that's up to you, but for now ill just pass you a good set.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Thank you for your suggestion Stun, that's actually one of the greatest weaknesses (kind of failed to mention). I never tried Scarf Krookodile, but I can try to use it if I can manage to not have 6-teamslot syndrome. I'll keep it in mind, I don't want to lose Bandchomp, but I can see exactly what weaknesses it would patch up fantastically.

Thanks to none of my doing, the people above me laddered and lost, so now this has peaked at #7! Memes and ladder inactivity claim victory again!

Honestly, either grav Lando-I sucks, or I have no idea how to use it (hint: it's the second one). The benefits of Vest Exca, from what I've seen, is the ability to compensate for the Smooth Rock ban by switching him in immediately on many things that would otherwise harm him that he can OHKO, and sweeping or at least cleaning with a few sandstorm turns to spare. That's something Orb Exca lost, and I had trouble using him like I did earlier. In a skilled fashion, I didn't adjust my playstyle at all and went back to AV Exca. Also, Grass Knot on Seismitoad made me much less able to keep rocks down, and Hippo's slowness and inability to do anything to flying defoggers (Seismi can at least give them a Scald burn for their time). I feel like, somewhere in hippo's nice movepool, is a move better than Crunch. I haven't found it yet, but until then I'm sticking with Crunch. The Krookodile doesn't do great in place of chomp, I prefer the immediate power in non-Psychic matchups, but I love it in the Psychic matchup. It's not common enough to justify its use on the team, but if I need a ground psychic-killer, I know where to look.

So basically my team is perfect and none of you know anything.

tagging scpinion to add this to the showcase because i need fame and fortune. I peaked #7 with a 1640 Elo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)