ORAS Ubers Kill & Try Again

Kill & Keep Trying

Introduction

The purpose of this team is fairly simple: Set up something (I have 3 setup sweepers, potentially 4) and try to sweep, hopefully taking out or crippling checks to your other sweepers while you're at it. I like to have a set lead, which Deo-A does, and a safeguard as well as an awesome setup friend comes in the form of Murkrow.

Teambuilding Process

I have a skeleton that I like to use, which is: Lead, Hazard Removal, Utility, 3 Attackers. My pokemon in the RMT are ordered this way, though that's not true on the importable.

The Team

Best Defense (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Taunt

This is my designated lead, with the necessary taunt to shut down a variety of hazards/screens/whatnot. He is very fast, and I rely on Psycho Boost more than the other two moves, as seen by my higher EV investment there. I typically just use whichever move is better, then finish off with either the other heavy hitter or espeed. Noteable things this thing can beat 1v1 are darkrai, ekiller Arceus leads, groudon, and just about every attempt to get hazards up early.
Unfortunately, this thing has trouble with Yvetal and both Sableye forms, and well as other deoxys forms.

Classical Music (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

My hazard removal. Out of the pokemon who get defog in UBERs, Arceus is already in use and Lugia can't get Multiscale with defog. Unfortunately, the same issue applies to Murkrow, so I had to dedicate a specific spot to it. I don't really like it, but I don't really see a better option in terms of hazard removal, so that's something I want help with.

Giratina has a set taken from Smogon, using the alternate EVs given, so I'll just explain how I use it. I like to use this thing as a switch-in, which is probably terrible given the dark weaknesses my team has, so if there's a dark-resistant bulky defogger, that'd be wonderful in this slot. Or if I should just run another setup sweeper even, though that's bad for Murkrow.

Obviously, I use it as a defogger, but after that, I like to dragon tail spam. When confronted with Xerneas, etc. I'd usually just try to damage it as much as I can with EQ then Shadow Sneak, and use the death to get Murkrow out.

New Meta (Murkrow) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 132 Def / 124 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Haze

The most unorthodox, and likely the mon most in need of justification. It serves a niche somewhere in between klefki and sableye, but on my team it is basically a "panic button."
I send it out on fully set up sweepers, and twave/haze/confuse ray them to oblivion, in that order. And if they switch, even better that's TWave on a second pokemon. Best of all, this thing shits on Baton Pass teams, especially the stored power user commonly found at the end of the chain.

Another plus is that it's faster than sableye and klefki in a taunt-off. Sableye gets taunt, confuse ray, and haze over klefki, and It gets thunder wave over Sableye, which is my main reason for choosing Murkrow over the other two. Thunder wave cripples anything, and with a sash I can survive to haze the boosts away, or taunt it, or confuse it. I'd typically use TW then Haze then Confuse ray then taunt on one of the myriad of setup sweepers in the game. On more support pokemon, I'd use taunt first.

I like to rotate between TW and conf ray until Murkrow dies, and bring in a sweeper to set up on the crippled pokemon. One example is paralyzed + hazed Xerneas, which can do nothing really against my healthy Xerneas. If they run aromatherapy? No problem; With boosts removed, I can just twave them again, they will die of confusion damage eventually if they don't kill Murkrow, and TW has priority over moonblast.

Y U Die (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Psystrike

Mewtwo Mega is one of the strongest special attackers in the tier. Calm Mind is the obvious set up, and Psystrike the strongest STAB. For coverage, I picked flamethrower over boltbeam because I felt ferrothorn was a bigger threat than Ho-oh and Kyogre to my team.

This thing usually either just dies, or fully sweeps. I like to set up 1 CM, and then go attacking with Psystrike. However, because it's pretty frail physically, I often get KO'd by Ygod's sucker punch or other priority. I think this Mega slot is pretty open, and I've tried Mewtwo X and Salamence, but I'm really not sure about them either. This here is one of the mons I'd be very willing to swap out.

God is a Girl (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Force

Arceus is one of the best Pokemon in the tier (I think) because it's just that good. Good bulk, acceptably high speed, nice offenses, and then SD + Espeed. Not much to say there that you can't find on the analysis. I decided on max speed without nature to beat other Arceus that run less speed. Also, I felt that the move I spam most, espeed, needed a STAB boost, which is pretty much the only reason I'm running Arceus-Normal.
For coverage, I picked Shadow Force because it has more power than Shadow Claw to hit Lugia and Giratina with. Earthquake hits Primal Groudon for a lot of damage, as well as a lot of things. Espeed still does the most damage however, because STAB + Silk Scarf.

Xerneasweep (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy

Is there anything to say about Xerneas? This is a standard Geoxern set, with EVs in SpA and Def calculated fairy precisely but I don't know what I was doing with Speed and HP. Aromatherapy provides effective status removal, especially on things that like to TWave Xerneas. Geomancy defines the Geoxern set, moonblast is a requisite STAB, and I picked thunder to hit Ho-oh and Lugia harder.
I picked Xerneas because it can hit Yvetal, as well as being able to sweep a large variety of pokemon. With 1 geomancy up, the only things he struggles to kill are just SDef Lugia, SDef PDon, and SDef steels. I like to send him in right after murkrow dies, to set up Geomancy hopefully untouched.

Known Threats:

Yvetal: I have nothing that can reliably switch into it, except perhaps Xerneas, which gets killed by stronger oblivion wings.
Mega Sableye: Only my Xerneas can touch this thing, and it's immunity to all moves on my lead doesn't help.
Klefki: I hate this thing in general, I have no idea how to really play around it, except to set up Ekiller on it and hope I don't get fully paralyzed.
Phasing: As my sweepers are mainly setup, and Xerneas being 1-shot setup, phasing significantly weakens my damage output.
Scarfed Genesect: It can take out 3 of my pokemon, 4 including Murkrow. Without scarves on my team, only Arceus can really match up with it.

Conclusion

This team is what I've worked on for a while, I like it, but I don't really know the meta enough to bash out specific EVs and perhaps some moves need swapping around. I've peaked at 1497 (1527 on a new alt) with it, my record anywhere since after we switched from Glicko-1
If you have advice as to how I should better use this team, that's also appreciated n_n
Oh, and I'm doing this on sim, so available mons/EV changing isn't an issue for me.

Thanks for reading! (Assuming you did n_n)

Xerneasweep (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy
Y U Die (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Psystrike
Best Defense (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Psycho Boost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Taunt
New Meta (Murkrow) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 132 Def / 124 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Haze
Classical Music (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
God is a Girl (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Force

Here's a replay of a battle with the team, sure it's not exactly well played by me but that's how I use it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-229119417

Last edited:
I'm kinda new to competitive battling and all but umm... i think that instead of using a serious nature on deoxys i do believe that a hasty/naive nature will be better even though it really doesn't need any more speed (well it might help against any scarfed mons) using a serious nature doesn't help any of its stats and he really can't take a hit either way sorry if i'm not being useful but i thought that it would be worth suggesting it because in a serious nature its max speed is 399 whilst in a hasty or naive nature it goes up to 438. once again sorry if i wasn't helpful.

I'm kinda new to competitive battling and all but umm... i think that instead of using a serious nature on deoxys i do believe that a hasty/naive nature will be better even though it really doesn't need any more speed (well it might help against any scarfed mons) using a serious nature doesn't help any of its stats and he really can't take a hit either way sorry if i'm not being useful but i thought that it would be worth suggesting it because in a serious nature its max speed is 399 whilst in a hasty or naive nature it goes up to 438. once again sorry if i wasn't helpful.
You are absolutely correct, serious nature does nothing lmao. /me changes that

:o i'm happy i managed to help and also i have to give you props on using the murkrow it actually does pretty good

And also how does one get around a P Groudon? as I've been testing the team and haven't really found a solid way (probably because i'm still kind of new to competitive battling) but either way im kind of curious

And also how does one get around a P Groudon? as I've been testing the team and haven't really found a solid way (probably because i'm still kind of new to competitive battling) but either way im kind of curious
What I usually do is EQ it with arceus or giratina. Gira can win and come out of it crippled. If pdon is a lead, Deo-A also KO's it with psycho boost + superpower. Something already set up can take it down pretty easily as well. For example, if arceus has SD up already, Earthquake 2HKO's for sure, and OHKO's some variants (Not even considering the double SD i can often get off). Geoxern also brings it into range of KO from pretty much everything, assuming that xern loses ofc, which isn't 100% of the time (P.defensive pdon, fails to ohko/twave/roar) Mewtwo can cripple it with either ice beam or psystrike, depending on if it's specially or physically defensive.

Also, yeah Murkrow is awesome. So many battles I see people scorn it before getting their gameplan stopped by it. #gtfoEvasionBatonPassers

What I usually do is EQ it with arceus or giratina. Gira can win and come out of it crippled. If pdon is a lead, Deo-A also KO's it with psycho boost + superpower. Something already set up can take it down pretty easily as well. For example, if arceus has SD up already, Earthquake 2HKO's for sure, and OHKO's some variants (Not even considering the double SD i can often get off). Geoxern also brings it into range of KO from pretty much everything, assuming that xern loses ofc, which isn't 100% of the time (P.defensive pdon, fails to ohko/twave/roar) Mewtwo can cripple it with either ice beam or psystrike, depending on if it's specially or physically defensive.

Also, yeah Murkrow is awesome. So many battles I see people scorn it before getting their gameplan stopped by it. #gtfoEvasionBatonPassers
Well i guess that makes sense and i let this one guy get to +4 with arceus and he was so happy and then i just completely stopped it with murkrow and just started laughing :p

Imma just use my one and only bump here because I feel like this team still needs work; rip me if the bump fails

A major issue I have:
My mega doesn't really satisfy what I want from it, because spunch yvetal. However, mewtwo-x with zen/poisonjab/drainpunch/bylkup is also walled by yvetal, and msalamence feels below par.
If someone could help me decide between the three, or suggest another mega maybe (or something to replace a mega and leave my team mega-free) I'd be very interested in that.

Imma just use my one and only bump here because I feel like this team still needs work; rip me if the bump fails

A major issue I have:
My mega doesn't really satisfy what I want from it, because spunch yvetal. However, mewtwo-x with zen/poisonjab/drainpunch/bylkup is also walled by yvetal, and msalamence feels below par.
If someone could help me decide between the three, or suggest another mega maybe (or something to replace a mega and leave my team mega-free) I'd be very interested in that.
...Erm, what? MSala is S rank in ORAS Ubers and procceeds to take physical attacks with relative ease while easily DESTROYING half the god damn tier, it's not below par. For Klefki you could add in Arceus Ground over Ekiller to A. Check PDon, and B. Immune to TWave. If you consider Mewtwo X, MMX gets Stone Edge. That sounds useful for the Yveltal problem. Yet not a lot switches into that anyway, because Yveltal breaks walls.

...Erm, what? MSala is S rank in ORAS Ubers and procceeds to take physical attacks with relative ease while easily DESTROYING half the god damn tier, it's not below par. For Klefki you could add in Arceus Ground over Ekiller to A. Check PDon, and B. Immune to TWave. If you consider Mewtwo X, MMX gets Stone Edge. That sounds useful for the Yveltal problem. Yet not a lot switches into that anyway, because Yveltal breaks walls.
It's probably my lack of ability in using msala tbh.
hrm Arceus-ground, I might actually try that and see how the lowered power on espeed does.
I didn't even see Stone Edge on MMX /me facepalms. Thanks a lot, I'll try these changes out.

m-salamence subpar.... what the heck can you do with it to feel that way lol? try mega salamence over mewtwo, the plan with it is simple enough, once enemy mons that could potentially wall or stop mence's sweep are dead or weaken'd enough, you throw salamence in there against smth fat and stupid or some physical attacker locked into eq or a physical attacker that cant really touch you, get that intimidate drop, mega evolve and d-dance on the switch, then dragon claw/aerilate return everything, with +1 M-sal obliterates everything. if you really dont like salamence then try mega blaziken, resists sucker punch and can really hurt y-bird with +2 flare blitz, since you have reliable ways to deal with p don and giratina, blaziken can be a gem in this team, i must hasten to add that it is not easy to use though, blaziken is slow and frail, making finding that golden switch in oportunity to set up a swords dance rather difficult.

m-salamence subpar.... what the heck can you do with it to feel that way lol? try mega salamence over mewtwo, the plan with it is simple enough, once enemy mons that could potentially wall or stop mence's sweep are dead or weaken'd enough, you throw salamence in there against smth fat and stupid or some physical attacker locked into eq or a physical attacker that cant really touch you, get that intimidate drop, mega evolve and d-dance on the switch, then dragon claw/aerilate return everything, with +1 M-sal obliterates everything. if you really dont like salamence then try mega blaziken, resists sucker punch and can really hurt y-bird with +2 flare blitz, since you have reliable ways to deal with p don and giratina, blaziken can be a gem in this team, i must hasten to add that it is not easy to use though, blaziken is slow and frail, making finding that golden switch in oportunity to set up a swords dance rather difficult.
I guess I'm too trigger happy wit bringing it in early-game. hrm blaziken might be a viable option, ill test this out as well as stone edge mmx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)