Kingdra: GP [1/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
what is waterfall even for? at the very least, I'd put agility ahead of it

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
waterfall is for florges i think, but agility is more useful for its ability to sweep teams. kingdra's typing and bulk are good enough for it to find 2 turns to set up.

also i think critdra is too good to be listed as the last slot. it's stronger than rain dance kingdra and has a much better shot at breaking through florges and umbreon. it also gets past bulky water-types with recovery unlike the current rain dance set.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The crit set should be the first set listed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the crit set usually uses Modest, not Timid. And besides, you have hasty for some reason.

The Dragon Dance set is a bit tricky, since there's two options you can go: Substitute with Leftovers and Rest with Lum Berry or Chesto. The problem in listing them both in one set is that the Substitute set "usually" runs a bit of bulk, whereas the Rest set doesn't. And even if the Substitute set didn't run extra bulk, it would still be played differently than the Rest set. I think you should split the two sets up honestly, but other opinions on this would be nice. But first off, you need to find a good spread for the Substitute set. I don't have one; maybe someone else does.

I'd actually put the Rain Dance set last, but that's just me. Probably doesn't matter, so long as the crit set is first.

Lastly, in the Counters section, don't list Raikou, Milotic, or Ditto, since no one uses them.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Hydro Pump is another strong Special STAB that can take out many things with the crit bonus, but Surf is also a more accurate, albeit less accurate substitute."

I think you mean weaker, not less accurate.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Yes it is.
No it isn't. If QC applied that to every Pokemon in UU, we would be in big trouble. For example, let's look at my Starmie analysis. Milotic is #49 on the usage stats, so I'll use it as a benchmark. Here are all the Pokemon that would be removed from Starmie's checks & counters: Amoonguss, Milotic, Jellicent, Slowking, Kyurem, Gastrodon, Lanturn, Heliolisk, Hydreigon, Sableye, Shaymin, Jolteon, Sceptile, and Cacturne. THAT'S 14 POKEMON!!!!!! The Pokemon listed in UU shouldn't be listed because people use them often: they should be listed because they CAN CHECK OR COUNTER THAT SPECIFIC POKEMON, HENCE THE NAME.

"Hydro Pump is another strong Special STAB that can take out many things with the crit bonus, but Surf is also a more accurate, albeit less accurate substitute."

I think you mean weaker, not less accurate.
Welp, that was stupid. Fixed.

Also fixed the stuff Limitless said above, except for the Resto-Chesto thing. In my testing, I found the Sub-DD set to be much more effective, so I put Resto-Chesto in the Other Options. I thought that was okay, given the fact that Kingdra has 3 main sets already.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Welp, that was stupid. Fixed.

Also fixed the stuff Limitless said above, except for the Resto-Chesto thing. In my testing, I found the Sub-DD set to be much more effective, so I put Resto-Chesto in the Other Options. I thought that was okay, given the fact that Kingdra has 3 main sets already.
Could you put back Raikou, Milotic, and Ditto in C&C please? Just because they are lesser used doesn't detract from their ability to check/counter Kingdra as indicated by a previous post:
No it isn't. If QC applied that to every Pokemon in UU, we would be in big trouble. For example, let's look at my Starmie analysis. Milotic is #49 on the usage stats, so I'll use it as a benchmark. Here are all the Pokemon that would be removed from Starmie's checks & counters: Amoonguss, Milotic, Jellicent, Slowking, Kyurem, Gastrodon, Lanturn, Heliolisk, Hydreigon, Sableye, Shaymin, Jolteon, Sceptile, and Cacturne. THAT'S 14 POKEMON!!!!!! The Pokemon listed in UU shouldn't be listed because people use them often: they should be listed because they CAN CHECK OR COUNTER THAT SPECIFIC POKEMON, HENCE THE NAME.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You are not part of QC. If another QC member backs your opinion, then by all means. But I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks Milotic should be listed on common counters to Pokemon.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
It's not about being common. The standard is, if a Pokemon has an analysis it is relevant and should be included in any other analysis it applies to. I get you're QC, but that's just how it normally works.
Exactly. I know you're QC Limitless but it doesn't make a shred of difference if the Pokemon is #1 on the usage stats or #100, as long as it's viable and it checks/counters the Pokemon.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Oof it's about to go down

But Limitless I feel that you're just using your seniority/rank to back up your opinion. Secondly, Milotic and Raikou, and maybe even Ditto are pretty used, and they even got an analysis because of this. Analysis = relevant/used/common/mentioned. They should totally be kept, and I think you shouldn't lose your marbles just because someone who isn't QC is right.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I really am not trying to be rude - honest. I'm just saying that some of these Pokemon have some sort of niche that gives Kingdra trouble, and that they should at least be mentioned.

Why the fuck are you even arguing this .–.

Ditto is a good revenge killer (unless Sub of course) but it's nowhere near common to be listed, that's scraping the bottom of the jar. We're not listing Ditto in every analysis where it can rk so I dunno why we should do here.

Raikou is a cool mon and it definitely should be listed...if it was actually a good answer. I doubt Scarf Kou actually KOes Kingdra anyway, not that it's common or anything.

Milotic is ugh. I guess it can kinda check with Haze, but it's not gonna be liking taking +1 Outrages or crit Dracos before Hazing. D-Tail doesn't break the Subs so it's gonna need Ice Beam for that, otherwise it's just a stalemate and I'm not sure it can even win it (OK it prolly can but it's not good enough).

I understand Milo was an answer last gen but I still don't like it, I'd use Slowking most of the time for the same purpose. It'd be the only one of the three actually worthy of a mention though.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
[...]
Raikou is a cool mon and it definitely should be listed...if it was actually a good answer. I doubt Scarf Kou actually KOes Kingdra anyway, not that it's common or anything.[...]
The only reason why I suggested Raikou as check in the first place is because it is probably the most solid revenge killer towards Kingdra there is since it outspeeds all neutral speed Kingdra under rain and Kingdra is usually in range of Tbolt after its needed turn of set up since it is usually best to stay in and attack Kingdra rather than risk giving it a free turn to set up Rain Dance, Focus Energy or a DD / Sub. The Rain Dance set's Life Orb will also more than likely bring Kingdra in Raikou's range before it has caused too much havoc. It should be listed dead last if not close to it but I still think it should be listed since Kingdra resists what little priority there is, and can play games with Sucker Punch since it will almost always be carrying a non attacking move.

Edit:
252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 142-168 (48.7 - 57.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)