Kingdra (Special Rain Dance)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm currently dissatisfied using Mixed Rain Dance Kingdra and having to be stalled out with Life Orb. The reason for this thread: it's a more healthy alternative to use Rain Dance Kingdra, especially since I tested out Wave Incense and wasn't stalled out as much. Rain-boosted Waterfall is pretty much bleh, IMO.

QC Approvals (3/3): (PK Gaming) (Bloo) (Iconic)

GP Approvals (2/2): (Omicron + V0x) (V0x)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I could be banned! But I'm not, so I'm stuck being UU...

[SET]
name: Special Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Draco Meteor / Signal Beam / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kingdra's sheer power in the rain can easily be utilized specially, and although this set has the same basic premise as its mixed counterpart, forgoing physical moves offers new advantages. First of all, Kingdra does not require investment in Attack, meaning you can freely invest in its bulk and Speed, giving this set an easier time setting up. The focus on the special side also allows Kingdra to use additional special attacks, which expands its coverage and power output against certain targets that previously gave the mixed set trouble. When taking the power boost from Life Orb, rain, and a Modest nature into account, Kingdra is basically a faster Life Orb Latias with a STAB Water-type attack and the ability to stand up to Scizor, Tyranitar, and opposing weather teams.</p>

<p>Rather than rely on the one-time use of Draco Meteor, Kingdra now relies on Dragon Pulse and it's chosen Water-type attack as STAB moves. Again, the choice between Surf and Hydro Pump comes down to wallbreaking power versus reliability. The third attack depends on what targets Kingdra needs to hit. Draco Meteor may seem strange alongside the more reliable Dragon Pulse, but often, it is required to break through some threats that would otherwise survive Dragon Pulse. For instance, Jellicent can be 2HKOed by a Dragon Pulse followed by a Draco Meteor, while all variants of Rotom-W bar specially defensive ones are OHKOed by Draco Meteor alone. Signal Beam is guaranteed to OHKO Celebi, which is a common switch-in to Kingdra, and hits Abomasnow harder than its other attacks. Finally, Hidden Power Grass is reserved simply for Gastrodon, who would otherwise wall Kingdra.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Other than the Modest nature and the maximum investment into Special Attack, Kingdra's performance depends on the amount of EVs invested into Speed and HP. The listed EV spread allows Kingdra to outrun neutral base 80 Speed Pokemon before rain and +1 base 108 Pokemon (mainly Choice Scarf Terrakion), after said condition. The rest of the EVs are distributed into HP for a small amount of bulk. If Kingdra requires more bulk, you can transfer EVs from Speed to HP. Ideal benchmarks would be 196 EVs in Speed, which outruns +1 base 101 Pokemon in the rain, and 16, which does the same for unboosted positive-natured base 130 Pokemon. Finally, if +1 base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Latios are a concern, simply maximize Speed.</p>

<p>As this set is very similar to the Mixed Rain Dance set, nearly all the same teammates and counters apply here. However, since Kingdra is instead oriented towards special attacking, special walls, namely Blissey, Chansey, and Politoed, will need to be eliminated first. The most straightforward way of doing so is to pair Kingdra with strong physical or mixed attackers to maintain the team's offensive presence. For instance, Conkeldurr can absorb any status aimed at Kingdra and beat most special walls, while Choice Band Terrakion can simply punch holes in the opposing team with its offensive prowess. Additionally, as opposing weather teams can sometimes be a problem for balanced or offensive teams, Kingdra fits almost perfectly as a weather buffer, should your team require one.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
nope, it is for UU but not for OU (OU has a Choice Specs set), and I'd hope AG would be able to notice that before posting a thread!

AccidentalGreed

Aren't there better items than Wave Incense?
That's why Life Orb is slashed right next to it. Wave Incense is simply intended to preserve bulk and prevent Kingdra from having to be stalled out by recoil, which happens ALOT in prediction wars. Failing these wars and being stalled causes the rain the pelter out and Kingdra to die out faster. It also preserves some KOes that Life Orb offers, provided you give it an extra entry hazard (Scizor has a less likely chance of being OHKOed by Wave Incense Surf).

This set is effective in OU, since nothing is prepared for it. Rain teams give you free setup and sun teams that sack their ninetales are in for a surprise. Weakened Celebi are OHKOd too. I'd just pair this with something like wisp / hp fire rotom or lati@s to lure in ferro. Once it falls below like 40% it is in the KO range. It's should just be a cleaner and it needs LO for power.

AccidentalGreed

This set is effective in OU, since nothing is prepared for it. Rain teams give you free setup and sun teams that sack their ninetales are in for a surprise. Weakened Celebi are OHKOd too. I'd just pair this with something like wisp / hp fire rotom or lati@s to lure in ferro. Once it falls below like 40% it is in the KO range. It's should just be a cleaner and it needs LO for power.
Thank you for your support, and I mentioned some Ferrothorn buffers in the AC. As for the item choice though, Wave Incense has served me well so far for the reasons explained, so I'm not too inclined to remove it completely. I would, however, remove Wave Incense if more others wish, since that was the case with Floatzel and Kabutops last generation.

Yeah, this thing just tears shit up, and has never failed to amaze me when I've used it. However, I don't garee with the EV spread. 164 Spe EVs leaves Kingdra outsped by Choice Scarf Terrakion, which is kinda a big deal. Changing the EV spread to 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe allows Kingdra to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion with rain up. I also don't like Wave Incense as an item. Rain Dance Kingdra IMO is meant as a wall-breaker and a sweeper, and Life Orb gives that boost to Kingdar's Dragon-type moves that it needs. AC it if you want, but it shouldn't be slashed with Life Orb.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Berserker Lord - I think Scarf Terrakion is common enough for Kingdra to be faster. Since this is not a mixed Sweeper, it can afford to heavily invest in Speed to even outrun Scarf Latios, which does exist. Kingdra needs 263 Speed to do this. Hitting 260+ Speed is useful for checking Mamoswine and Dragonite even without Rain Dance, too.

I think HP Fire, Signal Beam, and HP Grass may deserve an AC mention to deal with walls that usually troubles Kingdra. HP Fire before a Rain Dance would be a great way to fatally injure Ferrothorn on the obvious switch so that it cannot wall Kingdra when it sets up Rain. Signal Beam is for specially-defensive Celebi that soaks up Draco Meteors no problem. HP Grass 2HKOs Gastrodon!

AccidentalGreed

Jeez lu-weez. Sorry for overlooking your commend, BL, since you did make a good comment. So since Choice Scarf Terrakion's such a commonality in the metagame right now, I updated the spread (which coincidentally outruns neutral base 80's!)

I'm iffy about Hidden Power Fire being there, but I mentioned Pocket's suggested options due to the sheer amount of Celebi and Gastrodon trying to switch into Kingdra in many instances :P

So, here's the deal: if we're investing this much Speed into Kingdra, some might say "lol just maximize Speed and Special Attack and call it a day", but there are little Pokemon that's worth outspeeding my maximizing it. Giving Kingdra 9 HP grants an overall 2% bulkiness. Just wanted to clarify. Thoughts?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah there's little point to maxing speed since there's nothing in particular that's in Kingdra's speed range. I think this plays differently enough from the mixed set to warrant its own set.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

You know what this is yo

Add
Remove
Comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kingdra's sheer power in the rain can easily also be utilized specially, and although this set has the same basic premise as its mixed counterpart, forgoing physical moves offers both the old and new advantages of using Rain Dance. First of all, Kingdra does will not require investment in Attack, meaning you can freely invest freely in its bulk and/or Speed, and giving making this set an easier time arguably more sturdy way of setting up. The focus on towards the special side attacking also allows Kingdra to use additional special attacks moves, which expands expanding its coverage and power output against certain targets that previously gave the mixed set trouble. When taking the power boost from Life Orb, rain, and a the Modest nature into account, Kingdra is basically a faster Life Orb Latias with a STAB stronger Water-type attack.</p>

<p>Rather than rely on the one-time use of Draco Meteor, Kingdra now relies on Dragon Pulse as its source of great STAB and coverage alongside with its chosen Water-type STAB attack move. The third attack depends on what comes down to which targets Kingdra needs to hit. Draco Meteor may seem strange alongside the more reliable Dragon Pulse, but often, it is required to break through some walls that would otherwise survive Dragon Pulse. For instance, Jellicent can be 2HKOed by a the combination of Draco Meteor followed by a and Dragon Pulse, but can't be defeated otherwise. Signal Beam is guaranteed to OHKO Celebi, which who is a common switch-in to Kingdra, and hits Abomasnow harder than its other attacks. Finally, Hidden Power Grass is simply for Gastrodon, who would otherwise wall Kingdra.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Other than the mandatory Modest nature and the maximum investment into maximized Special Attack, Kingdra's performance depends on the amount of EVs invested into Speed and HP. The listed EV spread allows Kingdra to outrun neutral base 80 Speed Pokémon before rain, (add comma) and +1 base 108s Speed Pokemon (mainly Choice Scarf Terrakion), (add comma) after said condition. The rest of the EVs are distributed poured into HP for a small amount of bulk. If Kingdra requires more an emphasis on bulk, you can may transfer EVs from Speed to HP. Ideal benchmarks would be 196 EVs in Speed, which outruns +1 base 101s Speed Pokemon in the rain, and 16, which does the same for positive-natured base 130s Speed Pokemon. Finally, if +1 base 110s Speed Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf Latios are a concern, simply maximize Speed investment.</p>

<p>As this set is very similar to the Mixed Rain Dance set, nearly all the same teammates and counters apply here. However, since Kingdra is instead oriented towards special attacking, special walls, namely Blissey, Chansey, and Politoed, will need to be eliminated first. The most straightforward way of doing so is to pair Kingdra with strong physical or mixed attackers to uphold (uphold is a somewhat strange word here, reword maybe??) the team's offensive presence. For instance, Conkeldurr can absorb any status aimed at Kingdra and beat most special walls, while Choice Band Terrakion can simply punch holes in the opposing team with its offensive prowess Choiced sets. Additionally, as since opposing weather teams can sometimes be a problem for balanced for offensive teams, Kingdra fits almost perfectly as a weather buffer, should if your team require one.</p>

Ok, so I was REALLY nitpicking on this one, and as a result, there are a few subjective changes that I thought made a little more sense. However, feel free to make whichever changes you wish. Good job overall! :)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^
1/2

carry on

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kingdra's sheer power in the rain can easily be utilized specially, and although this set has the same basic premise as its mixed counterpart, forgoing physical moves offers new advantages. First of all, Kingdra does not require investment in Attack, meaning you can freely invest in its bulk and Speed, giving this set an easier time setting up. The focus on the special side also allows Kingdra to use additional special attacks, which expands its coverage and power output against certain targets that previously gave the mixed set trouble. When taking the power boost from Life Orb, rain, and a Modest nature into account, Kingdra is basically a faster Life Orb Latias with a STAB Water-type attack and the ability to stand up to Scizor, Tyranitar, and opposing weather teams.</p>

<p>Rather than rely on the one-time use of Draco Meteor, Kingdra now relies on Dragon Pulse and its chosen Water-type attack as STAB moves. as its source of STAB along with its chosen Water-type STAB attack. Again, the choice between Surf and Hydro Pump comes down to wallbreaking power versus reliability. The third attack depends on what targets Kingdra needs to hit. Draco Meteor may seem strange alongside the more reliable Dragon Pulse, but often, it is required to break through some threats that would otherwise survive Dragon Pulse. For instance, Jellicent can be 2HKOed by a Dragon Pulse followed by a Draco Meteor, while all variants of Rotom-W bar specially defensive ones are OHKOed by Draco Meteor alone. Signal Beam is guaranteed to OHKO Celebi, which is a common switch-in to Kingdra, and hits Abomasnow harder than its other attacks. Finally, Hidden Power Grass is reserved simply for Gastrodon, who would otherwise wall Kingdra.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Other than the Modest nature and the maximum investment into Special Attack, Kingdra's performance depends on the amount of EVs invested into Speed and HP. The listed EV spread allows Kingdra to outrun neutral base 80 Speed Pokemon before rain and +1 base 108 Pokemon (mainly Choice Scarf Terrakion), after said condition. The rest of the EVs are distributed into HP for a small amount of bulk. If Kingdra requires more bulk, you can transfer EVs from Speed to HP. Ideal benchmarks would be 196 EVs in Speed, which outruns +1 base 101 Pokemon in the rain, and 16, which does the same for unboosted positive-natured base 130 Pokemon. Finally, if +1 base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Latios are a concern, simply maximize Speed.</p>

<p>As this set is very similar to the Mixed Rain Dance set, nearly all the same teammates and counters apply here. However, since Kingdra is instead oriented towards special attacking, special walls, namely Blissey, Chansey, and Politoed, will need to be eliminated first. The most straightforward way of doing so is to pair Kingdra with strong physical or mixed attackers to maintain the team's offensive presence. For instance, Conkeldurr can absorb any status aimed at Kingdra and beat most special walls, while Choice Band Terrakion can simply punch holes in the opposing team with its offensive prowess. Additionally, as opposing weather teams can sometimes be a problem for balanced or offensive teams, Kingdra fits almost perfectly as a weather buffer, should your team require one.</p>

placeholder for 2/2 (AG could you maybe VM me when you implement Omicron's?)

AccidentalGreed

Amazing as always V0x.

Kingdra is efficiently...executed.

EDIT: this is intended for OU. My request is that anybody who uploads this should place this set under the Mixed Rain Dance set, because both Rain Dance sets are more useful than the others.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Crap, I was going to upload this then I saw there's a rain dance sweeper set with all special moves, modest, and life orb (different evs). Is this set supposed to replace that one altogether? I want to know so I don't delete an entire set for nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)