Kingler (QC: 1/2)

[Overview]

Credit to http://jhallpokemon.deviantart.com/ for the picture ^

<p>Kingler is a suprisingly decent Pokemon for a VGC team. Besides it's low special defense, Kingler reaches a very high attack stat (200) and has a wide variety of moves to choose from. Kingler faces competition with Crawdaunt, Feraligatr, and Floatzel. </p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Crabhammer
move 2: X-Scissor / Return
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
ability: Hyper Cutter / Sheer Force
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is a basic 3 attack set with Protect. The move-set choice will vary depending on what suits your team best. Crabhammer is used for a powerful STAB move. X-Scissor covers Pokemon such as Gardevoir that threaten Kingler with a thunderbolt. Return is another option move that can be utilized if your team already has a bug move. Lastly, Rock Slide can encourage Pokemon such as Thundurus or Zapdos to switch out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Kingler's EV spread is a standard max Attack, max Speed selection. It allows Kingler to outspeed a good portion of Pokemon that threaten it, as well as maximize it's attack for exceptional damage. Hyper Cutter is great to ignore Intimidate users such as Hitmontop, Salamense, etc. If you want to play more aggressively, Life Orb is your best bet. </p>

[Other Options]

<p>There's not a whole lot of extra choices for Kingler. If you are willing to sacrifice a layer of Attack, then Superpower is an option. Kingler also has a high amount of defense, so adding some defense EVs is a potential choice. Additionally, Wide Guard is a potential move for Kingler. Another option for Kingler is Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Kingler is threatened by Abomasnow, Ludicolo, Rotom-W, Zapdos, Eelektross, and Ferrothorn. Without any moves that give Kingler coverage over those Pokemon, Kingler will have a really hard time, and most likely get KO'd early in the game. The biggest threat to Kingler from that list is Rotom-W.</p>

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Dream world. Sheer Force is great.

With a 55 base HP stat, I would use Focus Sash.

Wide Guard should be mentioned in OO.

Mention Dream world. Sheer Force is great.

With a 55 base HP stat, I would use Focus Sash.

Wide Guard should be mentioned in OO.
I added Focus Sash, Wide Guard, and it's Dreamworld Ability.

Thank you again for your help!

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Kingler reaches a very high attack stat (394)
Remember, VGC is level 50. Hence it will only reach 200.

In counters, mention Rotom-W as a massive counter as it actually resists Crabhammer unlike Eelektross/Raikou. Ferrothorn is the best counter above all and though it isn't /that/ common, it does stop Kingler 100% so it's worth a mention. Ludicolo and Abomasnow are able to OHKO without being OHKOed back.

Remember, VGC is level 50. Hence it will only reach 200.

In counters, mention Rotom-W as a massive counter as it actually resists Crabhammer unlike Eelektross/Raikou. Ferrothorn is the best counter above all and though it isn't /that/ common, it does stop Kingler 100% so it's worth a mention. Ludicolo and Abomasnow are able to OHKO without being OHKOed back.
Hey! :)

I added your contributions.

Thank you. <3

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
252 spatk netural nature Zapdos thunderbolt vs your Kingler after wacan: 103.1% - 122.1%

same but rotom-A: 91.6% - 108.4%

same but thunderus: 103.1% - 122.1%

same but eel: 91.6% - 108.4%

clearly Wacan isn't gonna do enough for you, just get rid of it.

252 spatk netural nature Zapdos thunderbolt vs your Kingler after wacan: 103.1% - 122.1%

same but rotom-A: 91.6% - 108.4%

same but thunderus: 103.1% - 122.1%

same but eel: 91.6% - 108.4%

clearly Wacan isn't gonna do enough for you, just get rid of it.
I removed it.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think sash should be the first slash, you are gonna hard time getting anything off without it. Sheer Force isn't worth it just for Rock Slide so just move it it oo.

I'm gonna qc this like its a skeleton, but the comments need a lot of work. First of all they need a lot more fleshing out, right now they are too brief. Secondly make sure the Pokemon you make references too are actually relevant parts of the meta. Thunderbolt Gardevoir for instance is not. That said, 1/2.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Be sure to flesh this out a substantial amount more once you go into GP, since it needs a lot more detail.

In counters I would put Abomasnow/Ludicolo/Rotom-W/Zapdos/Eelektross/Ferrothorn before anything else, since the other Pokemon you mention (Raikou doesn't see use at all in VGC, so I would personally scrap that) are a lot less common. While you say Eel/Rotom-W make better electric-type counters than Zapdos and Thundurus due to having coverage over flying-types, be sure to note Rock Slide won't KO them, it'll only do a fair bit.

Like Alaka, I'll QC this as a 'skeleton', looks like you've covered pretty much everything now.

QC 2/2

Be sure to flesh this out a substantial amount more once you go into GP, since it needs a lot more detail.

In counters I would put Abomasnow/Ludicolo/Rotom-W/Zapdos/Eelektross/Ferrothorn before anything else, since the other Pokemon you mention (Raikou doesn't see use at all in VGC, so I would personally scrap that) are a lot less common. While you say Eel/Rotom-W make better electric-type counters than Zapdos and Thundurus due to having coverage over flying-types, be sure to note Rock Slide won't KO them, it'll only do a fair bit.

Like Alaka, I'll QC this as a 'skeleton', looks like you've covered pretty much everything now.

QC 2/2
Hey! :)

I'm gonna start fleshing it out as you said, as well as making the edits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)